Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Smartlinks. Abuh?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ghostfire
Okay. I don't get it. Smartlinks became an eye mod in SR4. I mean, I understand partly why that is -- they've gone from the paradigm of internal simrig to gun camera. Keen. I get it. But why don't we have the option of subdermal induction pads?

It seems to me that /most/ of the 'suggestions' that even hardened street samurai should be walking around with an easily hacked gateway to all their cyberware can be ignored -- after all, most cyberware either ionterfaces with other cyberware or is a closed system.

Smartlinks, though, are required to interface with an external piece of gear. Why are we now forced to use a wireless link? Are we forced to? Can we assume palm induction pads can be used rather than wireless?
FrankTrollman
You can actually skin-link it if you want, or run it through a data-jack. The old school plug-and-play system is gone, but any way you have of getting your gun into your PAN will connect it to your eye system, which in turn will get the smartlink activated.

Yes, you can just let your guns be part of your wireless system, and yes this will make you get haxxored from time to time or eavesdropped, or both. But it will also let you fire your gun remotely, or shut it off with your mind, or do all that other fancy stuff. There's a definate trade-off: security vs. utility. what's important to you will depend upon what you're doing.

-Frank
Ghostfire
I dig that. I understand that it can sometimes be useful. I suppose my problem with it is this: suddenly all those paranoid folks who don't trust commlinks have just blithely turned in their induction pads?

I suppose it's something I can HR in my own game. It just bugs me a little. The entire feel I am getting from the new matrix rules is that hackers are 'supposed' to be able to hack a street sam's gear. I just don't buy it. Anyone spending that much money on augmenting their body is going to make is secure.

Ah, well. Maybe I'm in the minority. I suppose I can also simply add in an 'induction pad' as a piece of gear, too.
mfb
i find it odd that a piece of technology that's been around for two decades--especially one that is permanently implanted in the user's body-- would suddenly fall off the market in five years or less.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
i find it odd that a piece of technology that's been around for two decades--especially one that is permanently implanted in the user's body-- would suddenly fall off the market in five years or less.

8-track tapes? smile.gif
Clyde
Just what we need: an eight track tape implanted in the body. And please, for the love of God don't tell me where! eek.gif
FrankTrollman
With the invention of Skinlink, there's no need for an induction pad.

With skinlink, a device is adapted to send and recieve data transmitted through the electrical field on the surface of metahuman skin. Though limited to touch, skinlink communication has the advantage of being protected from signal interception or jamming.

Essentially everyone has an induction pad all over their entire body whether they like it or not. Isn't technology wonderful?

-Frank
Sabosect
QUOTE (Clyde @ Sep 3 2005, 12:27 AM)
Just what we need: an eight track tape implanted in the body.  And please, for the love of God don't tell me where!  eek.gif

God stiffed me out of money he lost in a card game last week.

Where? Bend over.
Ghostfire

Essentially everyone has an induction pad all over their entire body whether they like it or not. Isn't technology wonderful?

That's kind of creepy, actually. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

I wonder if sex between two people with skinlinks is better. Talk about augmented reality! biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
Naughty elf, you know sex has no place in the main rulebook. rotfl.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Naughty elf, you know sex has no place in the main rulebook.

I guess I'll have to wait for a future 'release' then, eh?
Grinder
A version for people over 21 - or "european only": no violence, but sex.
Crusher Bob
Heh, a hentai adventure version of SR where you have to hawt elf sexxor your way past the security guards... I can see it now.
Sabosect
Oh my... And just imagine what the boss battle against the dragon is going to be like...
Grinder
rotfl.gif
Toshiaki
Hey, they were discussing strategies for that boss fight over in the Drop Bear thread a while back. It involved Lofwyr, tactical computers, and latex.

*shudder*
Grinder
I know, i had been there. It was an experience that keeps me awake at night, in horror and pain....
RunnerPaul
Some of this stuff makes me wonder whatever happened to the good old days of having sex with your ally spirit.
hobgoblin
why bother with the ally spirit, now you can do it with your comlink/agent wink.gif

ok, so you could do so earlyer to. but hmm, having said agent uploaded to some lady you shake hands with and then have it take over her body nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
why bother with the ally spirit, now you can do it with your comlink/agent wink.gif

ok, so you could do so earlyer to. but hmm, having said agent uploaded to some lady you shake hands with and then have it take over her body nyahnyah.gif

Three way!
hahnsoo
Heck, you can have your own "Virtual Person". To hell with Dikoted Ally Spirits... AR is so much more convenient.
hobgoblin
hmm, that reminds me. in blue planet there is a similar system, and people there use it to wear a kind of digital mask. so that if you have the right setup the person you pass will look diffrent under AR. hell, there are even special clubs and bars set up for people that have a interest in this.

is there any talk about this kind of social use in SR4?
OSUMacbeth
Yes.

OSUMacbeth
hobgoblin
nice
nezumi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Street sams felt left out, since they actually had to go get girlfriends.
JBlades
So it looks like the set up you need for a smartgun is one of the following:

-SG mod gun+commlink(standard)+goggles w/smartlink(can be hacked unless all are skinlinked)
-SG mod gun+datajack+image link+smartlink(cable method)
-SG mod gun+commlink(standard or cyber)+image link+smartlink(skinlink the gun and commlink(if standard) to secure)

Did I miss any?
The last method, skinlinked, is basically what we had in SR3...

EDIT: Ok, so I was really on the wrong track earlier. All you need is a smartgun with the skin link mod. Touchlink is totally unrelated. Fixing now. Thanks Rotbart, calm, and hobgoblin wink.gif !
mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
Street sams felt left out, since they actually had to go get girlfriends.

nah, that's what bunraku parlors are for.
JBlades
Quick follow up/add-on: Am I correct in reading that you get the Touchlink cyberware and that lets you interface with Skinlinked objects? Or is Skinlink an added security feature on commlinks and has nothing to do with Touchlink?
Some of this stuff just needs a flat-out better explanation than it has as-written.
Rotbart van Dainig
Touchlink is for 'feeling' AR.

AFAIS, there is (yet) no implant version of Skinlink.
calm_horizons
I'm under the impression that anything can be skinlinked, don't know if this is right or not.
So it would be possible to skinling to goggles/glasses etc, though contact lenses are open to interpretation.

SG mod gun+commlink(external)+goggles (all skinlinked)

secure and no need for cyberware....add another 2 dice for gun toting adepts...
hobgoblin
i would belive that contacts to should work as the eyes should be able to carry the signal to them nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Forget about wearing gloves, though.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Heh, a hentai adventure version of SR where you have to hawt elf sexxor your way past the security guards... I can see it now.

The best way to turn SR into a hentai game is to throw out the rules and replace them with the Big Breasts Small Waists rules. That, and make SURGE much more common.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 4 2005, 02:55 PM)
Forget about wearing gloves, though.

that depends.
how about wearing fingerless gloves?
do the tips of the fingers have enough bandwidth to handle the smartlink signal?

or maybe even a snipers glove where the trigger finger isnt coverd, or is uncoverd when getting ready to do a run nyahnyah.gif or maybe it would be better to uncover the 2 central fingers as most pro firearms users will walk around with the trigger finger besides the trigger, not on it, to make sure that there is no accidental fireing, right?

and i would most definetly wear gloves at all times unless i need to interface with some gear wink.gif just to make sure people dont hack my system when we shake hands.
Crusher Bob
Why not just get some gloves that carry on the signal? There's nothing particularly magical about your skin.
hobgoblin
heh, true.
trace amounts of some metal or similar in the material and presto.
Rotbart van Dainig
True, a bit of copper meshed into the fabric of the palm would suffice - or even a skinlink enabled smartglove. wink.gif
hobgoblin
i have a feel that gloves becomes high fashion wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
True, a bit of copper meshed into the fabric of the palm would suffice - or even a skinlink enabled smartglove. wink.gif

Of course when shaking hands..... wink.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 4 2005, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 4 2005, 09:38 AM)

Of course when shaking hands..... wink.gif

as if there was not allready enough bad things transferd in a handshake dead.gif

simple solution, have a patch on the palm thats removable as needed.
going into combat, rip it away cool.gif
krishcane
I see a rise in popularity of chain-mail gloves.... making a comeback after 600 years.

--K
FrankTrollman
Shaking hands is not something you ever have to do. With the rise of Aztec, Japanese, and Indian corporate cultures, you can jolly well bow in any of a number of ways when introduced to someone instead of reaching out to touch them, and an insistence on an actual hand-shake at that point by the other person would be so socially awkward that noone would do it. Think Bride and Prejudice, if someone clasps their hands in front of their body and bows into them, they've pretty much done their part of the social contract - and no touching has taken place.

Of course, why you would need the gloves is something of a mystery to me. Your skin carries the information from your Commlink, so the gloves aren't necessary at all. Back when you had induction pads that a trained observer could spot as being part of killer equipment, sure, but in 2070 you just have a smartlink that's skinlinked to a gun and therefore the entire portion of your PAN that's dedicated to killing people is completely invisible in Matrix Space. Police Drones aren't going to look at you twice. Your PAN is in active mode, and you have to be seriously ghost hacked before people can even find out that you are also maintaining a silent sub-PAN that's exclusively used for killing people and otherwise breaking the law.

-Frank
JBlades
QUOTE (krishcane)
I see a rise in popularity of chain-mail gloves.... making a comeback after 600 years.

--K

Well, ya, but shadowruners really didn't need skinlinks to decide that was a good idea! biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Of course, why you would need the gloves is something of a mystery to me.

To keep your hands warm.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 4 2005, 01:06 PM)
Of course, why you would need the gloves is something of a mystery to me.

To keep your hands warm.

and make sure you dont leave some good old fashion fingerprints.

atleast not your own cool.gif
Mightyflapjack
I still remember the simsense stuff from Shadowbeat about PolyPOV (multiple point of view) simsense..

Allowing you to be either of the actors in a scene.. and if you modify your sim player (sim module) able to be more then one person at the same time..

Kind of gives the line "go frag yourself." a whole new meaning...
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mightyflapjack)
I still remember the simsense stuff from Shadowbeat about PolyPOV (multiple point of view) simsense..

Allowing you to be either of the actors in a scene.. and if you modify your sim  player (sim module) able to be more then one person at the same time..

That is so hot.
blakkie
QUOTE (Mightyflapjack)

Allowing you to be either of the actors in a scene.. and if you modify your sim player (sim module) able to be more then one person at the same time..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012