Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riot Shield
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Milo Simpkin
Okay, I have a thinking for shield bashing. I dunno why. Just that extra little flexibility I guess. Now in earlier SR versions shields were awful if you wanted to have a chance of getting into melee and actually hitting things.

SR4, well we don't get the major +2 TN penalty, instead -1 dice fo a whole lot of armour. Nice. I can live with that. They even introduced rules for attacking with a shield . Yay!

Or not.. hmmmm. Bashing someone with a riot shield requires an exotic skill. No problem I can live with that. Happy with that in fact. And does the same damage as an unmodified unarmed attack with a bonus to the target's armour? Okay, now that's weird.

I think on the whole if I had to take a choice IRL I would rather be punched that whacked with a lump of plasteel.
blakkie
I thought it was -1 dice/point past Reaction or something. Now ihave to look itup.
evil1i
QUOTE (Milo Simpkin)
I think on the whole if I had to take a choice IRL I would rather be punched that whacked with a lump of plasteel.

Being a crazy person that spends time on the weekends whacking other crazy people with swords and defending myself with a shield I'd have to agree with that but with one proviso!

If you were hitting someone to damage them then yes punch > shield bash

Whereas if your intention was to get them on the ground (where smacking them with your sword/club/axe/etc or kicking the treacle out of them is so much easier) then go the shield bash!

From experience shield bashes should get bonuses to hit someone but minuses to hurt them so I don't know how you would handle that in 4th Ed.? I don't have my copy and still wading through all the info here.
Supercilious
I do some SCA also, but I have much more use for the shield bash, it is kinda a defensive offense. It also puts the enemy on a decidely uncomfortable position when they have to block your shield and your sword, or retreat.

The stun factor is good, also.
hyzmarca
Or you could just a sharp point on the end of the shield and stab with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012