Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoA- Tibet
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
From what I've read so far this is the most disappointing section and I almost wonder why it was written.

In the past, from what has been written we know Tibet has broken away from China and is surrounded by a mystical barrier that cuts it off from the outside world. The former CEO of renraku was able to enter Tibet because of Dunkelzahn's gift but after 4 1/2 pages of print. we have virtually nothing new.

There is a little on the leadership and lama's but that is it. A brief reference to it looknig much the same as before and the barrier is weakening but there are too many questions left open that could have been better answered with less shadow talk and more information.

1) modern Tibet is having its ancient culture crushed by the han chinese who are out breeding and building over the Tibetan culture. Has this been reversed? Were the Han civilians evicted like pink skins from the NAN? Absorbed into society? Disappeared? What the heck, this is kind of significant. A runner getting into Tibet knowing that before the barrier went up, might be expecting to get by speaking Chinese. There is a significant portion of the population today, rl, that only speaks Chinese. Maybe an ethnic chinese American running in China can "blend" in China, what about when she gets to Tibet? Are there Han chinese or not? Are the old cities still standing or not?

2)Is something special about the land? The barrier seems to have just sprung up and now it is weakerning making it more like the Mana "fog" in Brittany than the barrier around Ireland. There is a reference to the Chinese army mage saying the place has changed but no other detail. Good? bad? wilder? Structured? New drapes? what?
The CEO of Renraku passed the barrier and was never seen again. There is no reference to him here BUT it was implied he would gain something. Since, as far as I know, Japan has never had an interest in Tibet, there are no cultureal problems for him like there might be in Manchuria or Nanking. so what happened? I mean I can understand his fate being still a mystery but could we get a clue what might have happened? What happened to others?

I can understand devleoper not wanting to go too far for point 2, this can still be a later developement. but my first point is very valid and I am really disappointed that it was in no way addressed. I hate to say it this way, but I think the writer really skipped on research.

I will appologise if there are details in the China chapter about an evacuation of the Han Chinese before the barrier went up. I have not yet read the China chapter, but if not, this really is a poor job or research because just a casual reading of current news services shows how tibet today is losing cultureal ground to China.
Demonseed Elite
I will appologise if there are details in the China chapter about an evacuation of the Han Chinese before the barrier went up. I have not yet read the China chapter, but if not, this really is a poor job or research because just a casual reading of current news services shows how tibet today is losing cultureal ground to China.

This was less a lack of research and more a lack of space. I've done plenty of research of Tibet. For years, in fact. I've actually got many thousands of words more of notes on Shadowrun Tibet that didn't make the book, some of it that I wrote a long time ago (folks from the old days of Shadowland might remember some of it).

I came into the development of Shadows of Asia late, and at the time I came in it really looked as if Tibet wasn't even going to be in the book. I pushed to have it appear and Rob gave me 3,000 words. But I was also given some instructions.

1) Focus on why runners would be there more than on the nation itself. It was basically felt that unless the material focused on runner jobs in Tibet, there was no reason to include the nation. So, I had to focus on that to the expense of many of the other details. That's why the Tibet section has a noticeable weight behind the politics and invasion storyline in preference to history or national details. I was told to keep the historical background short, to almost non-existent.

2) I was told to use a voice from General Qao Hien Shin's forces. The whole General Qao plotline wasn't my idea and though I didn't really dislike it, I thought it put me in odd place in trying to portray the nation. I had to commit a lot of word count to soldiers' voice and the invasion plotline that I really felt could have been used better to establish a feel for Tibet. Probably by using an internal Tibetan voice.

1) modern Tibet is having its ancient culture crushed by the han chinese who are out breeding and building over the Tibetan culture. Has this been reversed? Were the Han civilians evicted like pink skins from the NAN? Absorbed into society? Disappeared? What the heck, this is kind of significant. A runner getting into Tibet knowing that before the barrier went up, might be expecting to get by speaking Chinese. There is a significant portion of the population today, rl, that only speaks Chinese. Maybe an ethnic chinese American running in China can "blend" in China, what about when she gets to Tibet? Are there Han chinese or not? Are the old cities still standing or not?

It's explained in the section that even decades after the Maya Cloud appeared, the Tibetans were still being smothered by the Han Chinese who lived in Tibet. The Tibetan religious leadership organized a non-violent uprising and eventually evicted the Han leadership. The Han people, however, are being integrated into the population under the new Tibetan leadership (that part probably could have been made clearer). The Han-based government and its supporters were exiled, which is the basis for General Qao's forces. For the past decade, the Tibetan government has been working very hard to re-establish Tibetan traditions, including language, customs, religious observances, etc. This is part of the reason for the division in Tibet's leadership and part of the fuel behind the fear of Tibet being exposed to the outside world again and losing its own identity.

The old cities still stand, though they are a mix of traditional Tibetan building and newer Han building. Both Lhasa and Shigatse are mentioned in the text, but the word count just wasn't there for me to detail them. I would have liked to.

There is a reference to the Chinese army mage saying the place has changed but no other detail. Good? bad? wilder? Structured? New drapes? what?

Actually, no, the material says the land has not changed.

[ Spoiler ]

The mage says that there are changes in Tibet's Astral Space. And they are fairly specifically described:

[ Spoiler ]

Now, I realize that could be more specific, but it's intentionally vague. The voice of the document, the exiled Han leadership, do not know what is going on there in Astral Space. It's a recent development, changed since their exile a little over a decade ago.

The CEO of Renraku passed the barrier and was never seen again. There is no reference to him here BUT it was implied he would gain something. Since, as far as I know, Japan has never had an interest in Tibet, there are no cultureal problems for him like there might be in Manchuria or Nanking. so what happened? I mean I can understand his fate being still a mystery but could we get a clue what might have happened? What happened to others?

The fate of the CEO of Renraku was detailed in Brainscan. He was sent to Tibet primarily because it was the only place on the globe Renraku felt he was entirely safe from Deus. Secondarily, they implored the Tibetans to see if they could heal the damage done to his mind by Deus. This is all in Brainscan. The Tibetans were able to repair some of the damage, but not all of it, and Inazo Aneki leaves Tibet and soon after dies in the Arcology. His death is publicly known, though Renraku obviously leaves out the details about it happening in the Arcology and why.

What others? Others who have tried to enter Tibet? Honestly, no one really knows, even the Tibetans. Most likely, due to the influences of the Maya Cloud, they got lost in the Himalayas, died due to exposure, or were attacked by the paracritters, feral tribes, and worse that are mentioned as prowling around the Cloud. The only people who really ever made it through the Cloud until recently were the Chinese troops out of Kunming. And even the majority of them became lost and died in the Himalayas.
Demonseed Elite
Also, yeah, there will be unanswered questions. Many of them. It's only a 3,000 word section on a nation that has been sealed off from the world for over half a century. It's meant to shed a little bit of light on Tibet, not to expose the truth. Tibet is a mystery wrapped in illusion (quite literally, in the case of the Maya Cloud).

Some of the criticisms I agree with and definitely would have been addressed if I'd had more word count. I've got more material on Tibet, and someday it'll appear somewhere. Either through Holostreets, the SR website, or on my own web space. I haven't yet determined how (I'm kinda waiting to see how Holostreets will work when it comes to material).

Some of your questions, though, I think would have been answered by a closer reading of the material. Or in the case of the Inazo Aneki stuff, were answered in other material.
Snow_Fox
ok. I understood about the space limit and the intentional vagueness of the magical changes. Yes you quoted the discription of the land, unchanged but then came the lines
Our Wujen , however, pointed out that a massive change has taken place in the astral plane.
and commentary afterward talks about an astral mandala. Certainly I can imaging leaving that open for the future if anything, BUT

The fate of the civilian, ethnic Chinese, population was in NO WAY made clear. I read the section. Came back to it and then before I typed what I did, reread it while logged on. Before I typed this response I reread the section and it is proped open before me. There is a reference in the time line box at the top of page 69 , Sept 2011 the Dali Lama
warns against those who would intrude on tibet without permission.

andthe last paragraph on page 70
The monks who led the passive uprising against us twelve years ago with their trickery and magic have placed themselves in power. The work our forces did four decades ago to advance the Tibetans people and reunited them with the China we once knew has been replaced with a primative theocracy.
Now I can allow for editing doing damage. that sentence is very strange and looks like an editor cut out a few punctuations. but that is all there is. (there are some very strange sentences in the book which seems to be the editor cutting phrases)
I suspect that your notes are probably very much better and unfortunetly in looking at it, you are able to fill in the blanks in your own mind. But it really is not explained in the published book. Everything else is out the leaders and talks about the people in the cities, relying on the monks' magic etc but that is it for changes. There is nothing to even say that they drove out the Chinese leaders. We can assume it because they took power. but it doesn't say it. Now if we are being a realist we cannot imagine the tibetans moving a huge number of ethnic Chinese but in the SR world this was done. The GGD created magical power that forced unwanted ethnic types out. It is not impossible to visualize the Chinese being driven out. If they were not then we wonder what the flock happened , if anything, to ethnic Chinese who have bene oppressing the Tibetans for decades.
The statements of the monks being in power does mean the chinese are gonig to be shifted down the social scale but this would seem to be a major source of plot hooks. Chinese vs Tibetans. Tebetans who want revenge of Chinese? Maybe chinese who escaped the wall?

(Misses the stuff on the Renraku CEO, thank you. But even this part, that he could hide form Deus there implies there is something special going on.)
Demonseed Elite
The fate of the civilian, ethnic Chinese, population was in NO WAY made clear.

I will agree that I didn't really go into that much. Honestly, the make-up of Tibet's civilian population isn't immediately pertinent to shadowrunning in Tibet, nor is it really something that the voice of the document focuses on.

For the past fifty years, the nation hasn't seen itself as Tibetans vs. Hans. They see themselves as Tibetans, period. They've been cut off from the rest of the world. No trade, no tourism, no immigration or emigration. No contact. They inter-marry, they farm side-by-side, and they try to make a living in a harsh place that has no help from the outside world.

The divisions are really in the philosophies of those who would rule Tibet. They have agendas. The normal people don't, really. Even the non-violent Tibetan uprising wasn't the Tibetan people, it was the Tibetan Buddhist monks.

Now I can allow for editing doing damage. that sentence is very strange and looks like an editor cut out a few punctuations. but that is all there is.

That's strange, because that's not how the sentence reads in my copy of the PDF. I agree that reads funny, but here's the cut-and-paste from my PDF:

The monks who led the passive uprising against us twelve years ago with their trickery and magic have placed themselves in power. The work our forces did for four decades to advance the Tibetan people and reunite them with the China we once knew has been replaced with a primitive theocracy.

I'll agree, if your copy says "the Tibetans people" and "reunited them", then it's screwed up.

There is nothing to even say that they drove out the Chinese leaders. We can assume it because they took power. but it doesn't say it.

It doesn't say it explicitly, but that's partially because of the voice of the document. A soldier in the exiled leadership relaying an intelligence report to his General doesn't need to explain to his General the nature of their exile. He already knows. I agree that because of the voice, it's a bit of an awkward way to present the information to readers, but I was told to use that voice.
So I implied it instead. It's scattered in the document that Qao Hien Shin was part of the Chinese military force sent into Tibet to quell the succession. It's also mentioned that the Buddhist monks led an uprising that placed them in power and that Qao Hien Shin's forces had to leave Tibet and want to return and place themselves back in power.

Now if we are being a realist we cannot imagine the tibetans moving a huge number of ethnic Chinese but in the SR world this was done. The GGD created magical power that forced unwanted ethnic types out. It is not impossible to visualize the Chinese being driven out. If they were not then we wonder what the flock happened , if anything, to ethnic Chinese who have bene oppressing the Tibetans for decades.
The statements of the monks being in power does mean the chinese are gonig to be shifted down the social scale but this would seem to be a major source of plot hooks. Chinese vs Tibetans. Tebetans who want revenge of Chinese? Maybe chinese who escaped the wall?

The Chinese aren't really being shifted down the social scale. After the Cloud went up, it pretty much put everyone on the same level, except for the handful of people who ruled the nation. Han or Tibetan, you were pretty much stuck making a living out of what you could. The main difference would be that the Han military regime that had formerly led the country didn't accept the Tibetan Buddhist monks or the Dalai Lama as a political power. So the monks forced the military regime out.

Yeah, the how there isn't exactly clear. Honestly, it's not supposed to be. Tibet is full of mysteries, and it wasn't my goal with this write-up to answer them all. All that is said is that it was non-violent, and there's a cryptic comment from an alias often linked to Celedyr reminding people that a non-violent uprising isn't necessarily passive, and that the power of the Tibetan plateau doesn't require blood for its secrets. So there's definitely more of a story there, and it's not explained yet. There are some dots to try to connect, though. (There's even a big ED reference in the Tibet section that no one has mentioned yet. Maybe it hasn't been figured out yet. I'm fine with that. wink.gif ).

If you were looking for all the answers behind Tibet, they aren't here, I agree. Some of the details are, though. And I can see that you wanted more detail on the civilian population of Tibet, but with only 3,000 words to use and a list of things I had to accomplish with them, some things definitely ended up with higher priority. Hopefully I can get to some of those topics in later material. There's a lot more to touch on, especially given changes between SoA and SR4.
Paul
And think of this in miltary terms. Cut off from yuor supply routes with whatever food, ammunition and survival skills you have. Troops may or may not have been on deployment, vacation, sick leave, etc...Ammunition may have been low, or sabotaged, or expended in some other way. Tanks are pretty useless with out fuel, so with no refineries they, like all vehicles will eventually grind to a halt. Add in sabotage to fuel lines, or theft and well you can see where this could quickly become a much more adverse situation for any commander.

Add in little things like desertions, natural disasters, any sort of real insurgency movement and well I can see where Tibet could be a damn challenging environment.

I'd like to chime my vote in for keeping Tibet as mysterious as possible. Somethings need to be in the gray area, and I think Tibet and their version of the veil need to be one of them.

I hope they never open it up.
Snow_Fox
DE-those were my typos. Sorry, my bad. but it is still an awkward phrase that looks like a comma was taken out at some point.

You have drawn down on one really key point. You've said the people's have grown together and intermarried. But that is not in the text anywhere. Just that one line in the book would have made all the difference. Right now you look at Tibet in RL and the Chinese and Tibetans are not getting along. This would be a major shift and like I said, in the SR world should not be a given. Not when, for example, you look at the caucasian population of say, Provo Utah or Cheyanne Wyoming.
Demonseed Elite
I'll agree with you that it's not in there. But I don't think that it's critically important. Shadowrunners aren't, afterall, dealing with the people of Tibet, who are largely farmers and craftsmen. The people of Tibet don't even know what shadowrunners are. Shadowrunners who take jobs in Tibet are primarily dealing in the politics between those in charge and those who want to be in charge (including the corporations).

It's a short and very focused piece. To you, this one piece of information seems very important, and I'm not doubting that it is to you. It wasn't an omission due to lack of research, or whatever, it was an omission because it fell outside what I decided (and Rob decided) was the focus of the piece. And that was to present Tibet singularly on why shadowrunners would be there and what they would do there. If the average people of Tibet fit into that focus, there would have been much more information on them.

To be entirely honest, I felt pretty constricted by the voice I had to use too, having to write the section from the perspective of Qao Hien Shin's forces. I think I could have done a lot more if I didn't have to do that, but that wasn't my choice. I honestly would have much rather focused internally on Tibet and used an internal voice (maybe a monk, maybe a normal Tibetan person), other than shaping the whole thing from the perspective of those on the outside.

Anyway, I apologize that the information you wanted wasn't in there. There's a whole lot more I wanted to put in there that I couldn't. What I do hope is that the Tibet chapter had enough information for shadowrunners to do some runs there if their group wants to. Which was my focus for writing the section in SoA.
Snow_Fox
ok, I'm guessing we just play differnetly. corps are the same the world over. what makes a run different from Hong Kong to Seattle to Lisbon is the setting. I did give the example of a runner getting in from the outside. IF the balloon goes up she has a better chance of evading capture if she knows what's expected locally. An ethnic Chinese CAN blend into the population, I guess, but it's nice to know that. If there is resentment from the Hna they might help a runner. If not she could be in for an ugly surprise. Admittedly part of that is game planning from the GM but runners don't know if their Mandarin Linga-softs are going to be of use inside the barrier. etc etc etc.
Also how many metas are there in the border? What do the locals think of metas?

Of course, unless it would violate the NDA, you could always use this space to expand on the article, from your notes.
Demonseed Elite
Of course, unless it would violate the NDA, you could always use this space to expand on the article, from your notes.

It doesn't violate any NDA, since these notes are mine. However, I do want to find the best way to present the added material, whether that's through Holostreets, the SR website, or elsewhere.

I agree with you on the setting aspect. It just was agreed on pretty early in development that Tibet isn't one of those places where runners are going to really be often (if ever). It's risky to even enter the place, it's an undeveloped society (it doesn't even have any Matrix access as of '64), and it's a nation which doesn't really understand or utilize shadow talent. So the main thrust of the section became to present a first layer of plot hooks involving Tibet that could involve runners, even if the runners themselves never enter Tibet.

So you have things like the General Qao plotline, the competing monasteries, the Maya Cloud and the search for the Dalai Lama which can pull runners in even from outside Tibet. Maybe the runners end up working against General Qao while trying to trace back uranium shipments to Winternight from Gansu. Maybe runners end up protecting a member of the Lotus Throne sect from Triads in Hong Kong looking to steal a Seal. Or maybe they are sent in to sabotage an Atlantean Foundation outpost in the Himalayas or pull a young boy out of a dangerous sprawl because he might just be the Dalai Lama.

Now, if I'd had double the word count, I definitely would have spent it on the setting inside the Cloud. But given the short word count, it was agreed to focus that on tying the outside world of shadowrunning to the periphery of Tibet. Especially since there are folks like Paul here who would rather Tibet never opened up. This way he could do some runs with the material in SoA without his runner team ever going through the Cloud.

I'll make sure more information gets out about Tibet, one way or the other. But it's hard for me to release bits of it now, because I don't know yet whether it'll be something that needs canon approval (for instance, if it's posted through Holostreets or the SR website) or something that is totally mine only (if I were to toss it up on my hosting).
Snow_Fox
Ok. Luckily a few years ago a friend of mine was in Nepal and I remember who photos pretty well.

It had occured to me that a search for the new Lama would be the biggest hook. Some asian dude shows up with a handful of clues looking to find a certain child-any idea what clue the RL monks use? Child born in a house under a certain star benenth the mountain named for a Europrean Prince?

The possibilities are wild. find the kid, protect the monks, maybe hired by the Chinese to screw up the clues. Maybe a run to find out what the items are the monks have and coach a child the Chinese want to install.
- FYI As I understand it when the monks find the house in question they lay out several items, some of which actually belonged to the lama in his last incarnation. The test is the child recognizes the correct items as "This was mine"
Demonseed Elite
Exactly. In the case of the current real life Dalai Lama, a number of clues led a group of monks to the young boy. One was the direction that the face of the previous incarnation turned after he had died. Another was a vision one monk had when he looked into the surface of a holy lake. When they first approached the family that lived in the house, the lead monk pretended to be a servant and the monks asked to stay the night because of their rough travels. It was only after the boy made the monk believe he might be the Dalai Lama that the monks came back the next day as a full delagation, with the items you mentioned.

In 2064, the monks might behave similarly, fanning out worldwide in their search, following clues from visions and portents. They might pretend to be something they are not, such as simple Chinese immigrants. But meanwhile, General Qao's forces (as well as possible others like Lung) would have interests in manipulating the monks' choice for the next Dalai Lama. Likewise, some groups might be interested in the Seals that the monks carry that allow them to pass through the Maya Cloud unharmed.
mfb
it seems like i remember something about the current RL Dalai Lama saying he'd be the last, but i can't find anything about it on the Intar-webs.
Snow_Fox
maybe he means there will not be a recognized one. He is the oldest of 3 special lamas. #2 defected about 2 years ago by evading his Chinese minders and crossing the hymilayas to India. The other is a real problem. The monks indicated boy #1. The Chinese grabbed him, declared the monks were wrong and boy #2 is the 'true" monk. No one follows #2 and no one has seen boy #1 in years. I think the dali lama believes a similar fate will befall him in his next incarnation.
fistandantilus4.0
one thing I have noticed, or wondered, what exactly is the effect of the Maya Cloud? Does it make people entering get lost, end up somewhere else (mists of Ravenloft?) , just run into solid cloud, what?

I haven't reached this section yet, but am looking forward to it.

Snow Fox:
Not when, for example, you look at the caucasian population of say, Provo Utah or Cheyanne Wyoming.

Living about 2 steps from Provo and being caucasian, just wondering what you meant by that?
Demonseed Elite
one thing I have noticed, or wondered, what exactly is the effect of the Maya Cloud?

Keep reading! nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

Snow Fox:
Not when, for example, you look at the caucasian population of say, Provo Utah or Cheyanne Wyoming.

Living about 2 steps from Provo and being caucasian, just wondering what you meant by that?

After the GGD those areas were emptied of pinkskins by the NAN. The oppressed minority with more magic was able to through out the "invaders." Until DSE explained it, i was wondering if the Tibetans were able to do the same to the ethnic chinese.
fistandantilus4.0
ahh, thanks for clarifying Fox

D.E.: Tease embarrassed.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012