Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Orleans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dingus_McGee
Hey all, I just got my SR4 book shipped here overseas (FINALLY!) and started up a group here on base. As we started playing the day after Katrina hit, I decided we would play in New Orleans. And after the levee's had broke, I decided to have it re-built in the style of Venice's architecture.

Neo Orleans is a free city simply because the CAS and Aztlan can't get ahold of it. It's swarming with pirates, black market goods, and very little in the way of legitimate economy. The megacorps enjoy having a large population to draw upon for deniable assets and a testing pool for new cyberware and otehr goods. Runners love to have a haven on the coast and a place to go for all of your running needs. Not to mention a place where you can easily disappear for the right amount of money.

In RL, I hope that when they begin reconstruction, they take better engineering precautions to mitigate damage in the future. Now that they know just how vulnerable they are to Mother Nature, it's time to show some respect and play the game smarter.

Also, Geraldo is a Journalism adept.
Kagetenshi
I'm not sure it makes sense to have a pirate city on the Mississippi. Carpet-bombing the city into oblivion makes more sense, IMO.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Well yeah, but that dosen't adress the Shadowrun aspect of it, though.
bclements
Megacorp owned; NO's value as a port (a lot of bulky stuff probably is still shipped by barge in SR times) would probably have at least a couple of mega's racing in to rebuild the port complex. The rest of the city? Dunno.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Well yeah, but that dosen't adress the Shadowrun aspect of it, though.

Sure it does. Corps like ports. Corps dislike losing ports. Corps dislike having pirate cities along major shipping rivers even more. Hence, carpet-bombing.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Kegentenshi, I think my sarcasm flew over your head.

What I was suggesting was carpet-bombing New Orleans today. smile.gif
Supercilious
I support it. Let god sort them out.
Kagetenshi
Aaaah, I see.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Well, we didn't carpet-bomb, but we did drop the 82nd Airborne in.

That's nearly as good. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
The CAS supported 12,000 combat troops from the UCAS flying through their airspace?

Carpet bombing would porbably reduce the value of the harbor. one good hit on the levee and we're back to August 2005. The corps need the harbor. there is enough coast there for pirates and runners to hide. they would much rather prefer the corps go to the trouble of maintainnig the harbor.

MY GUESS is that N.O. in 2065 has more internal levees, so if one of the main ones break, they don't lose the entire city like they did in 2005. Of course this means more wall asnd more security checks.
Kagetenshi
If there are levees, that means they're losing the city.

~J
SFEley
QUOTE (Supercilious)

And in this thread, another fallacy so common among gamers... A tendency to forget that the real world is populated by human beings.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (SFEley)
QUOTE (Supercilious @ Sep 5 2005, 01:24 PM)

And in this thread, another fallacy so common among gamers... A tendency to forget that the real world is populated by human beings.

And in this post, another fallacy so common to humans... A tendency to believe the lies that real life humans are noble creatures.

Arbitrary slaughters are completely human, why the shock when one (or two, or more) admits the desire from behind the shield of partial anonymity?
Kagetenshi
Some people are just outside my monkeysphere.

~J
Lady Door
Monkeysphere... *snort* hehehehe....
Nath
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
another fallacy so common to humans... A tendency to believe the lies that real life humans are noble creatures. 

Arbitrary slaughters are completely human, why the shock when one (or two, or more) admits the desire from behind the shield of partial anonymity?

There's something so special with this being said by someone going by the login of "Herald of Verjigorm" devil.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
we did drop the 82nd Airborne in.

From your mouth to Rummie's ear. Today the pentagon announce 5,000 men of the 82 are being sent into NO.
SL James
In addition to the 4,000 already there?
Dingus_McGee
It's times like this that I wish we still had the Lounge around.

Anyway, as far as game terms go, I wanted NO to be a free city-state simply because Seattle and Denver are out in the middle of North America, and I think with all of the different countries around New Orleans in the game's setings, it makes for a spicier atmosphere. Carib League, Aztlan, CAS, Yucatan..........Enough viable plothooks that each side has their handlers in the city somewhere, looking for new talent/hardware. And then there is basically the Mafia who control the legitimate business (plus some non-legal ones) and pirates running a fair share of the black market.
Kagetenshi
Which North America is Seattle in the middle of, again? Certainly not this one.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012