Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking a CommLink device
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JesterX
Suppose that I meet Mr. Johnson at the Penumbra Club in Seattle... The meeting went well and Mr. Johnson agreed to give us is Commlink ID to contact him when the run is over.

With his Comlink ID, can I track him down to see his whereabouts and to learn a bit of information about our employer?
blakkie
According to Buzzkill fiction in the BBB, if you have the nerve you can try get that info from Mr. Johnson's commlink during the meeting.

EDIT: What are the tests for tracking someone's [general?] location from their commlink? Can this build a tally over time? Most importantly how do i keep it from happening to me?
mfb
you can use Track to locate a commlink within 50m, if it's connected wirelessly. if it's wired, you can find the jackpoint.
JesterX
Providing that the Commlink is in active mode I suspect... What will happen if the Commlink is in Passive or Hidden mode?
Kater
Even if it is in passive or hidden mode, it would most likely be possible to track it, if it is in contact with other devices. Think WLAN or Bluetooth. ANY wireless device that is actively communication can be tracked SOMEHOW.

That also raises another question for me:
* Would Shadowrunners use Comlinks and Wireless?

I personally see those things too risky for them. The Problem is not only being open to hacks, but another thing: Imagine a Shadowrunner with a smartlinked weapon, and contact lenses to display the data for that. Communication between those runs wireless. That means Corps can quite easily check for intrusion: Position a few wireless sniffers in the building. If there is any unexpected wireless traffic, raise passive alert. Maybe "device identifiers" could be used to only trigger alert when an weapon is brought into the corp grounds (and those wireless things need to sport something like an ID to have this plug-and-play like behaviour we are told of).

Personally, I still think the pro-runners will disable their wireless modes, and go back to using the good, old, eavesdropping-proof fibreoptic wire. No risks where not necessary.
morlock76
The same logic would apply to anyone.

If I can get spammed wireless as Joe Ordinarycitizen, my 1st step would be to turn it off, as software to prevent that is costy.

As company I would turn it all off as security measure.

By limiting the vulnerabilities you also limit your options as you need to turn on wireless to hack stuff, and once you turn it on, your toast.

Just like going astral with someone waiting for you...

Position a few wireless sniffers in the building. If there is any unexpected wireless traffic, raise passive alert.

Well the sniffer needs to get "the message" first, so Stealth is your friend and you can encrypt your traffic afaik and I am sure that in such a wireless world there will be hardly any zones without wireless traffic.

In a worst case scenario you just park an official transmission van outside the facility you wish to break into and just flood the area with "legal" transmissions of a radio or whatever show.

I think it will take some time and a LOT of playing for people to see the possibilities and exploits as well as "regular" security precautions for the every day runner.
Spookymonster
Set your commlink on 'hidden' and use skinlink to communicate with all your electronics. Skinlink cannot be intercepted or jammed.
Siege
Which is a massive argument for not using wireless systems.

At least not in high-threat scenarios.

Wait until they start jamming selective frequencies - what frequency is your smartlink on, by the way? grinbig.gif

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012