Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riot Shields and Assault Rifles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OSUMacbeth
When I was reading through the pdf the first time I thought I read something about only being able to use SMG or lighter weapons with a riot shield. Is that actually somewhere in the book or am I just imagining it?

OSUMacbeth
hahnsoo
While I'm not seeing any language that explicitly forbids this, I'd argue that you would need both hands to fire an assault rifle, and thus you wouldn't be able to use a Riot Shield (or anything in the other hand) while using an Assault Rifle. Up to the GM, I suppose.
Supercilious
Dice penalty (Akimbo shooting will never be promoted or made useful in a game of mine, EVER)! And Threshold Increase should discourage dadstardly players from following this route...
weblife
Actually.. A shield with a hole in it, designed specifically as a weapon stand, would give greater accuracy and decreased recoil.

In that case you could use both. Would probably take a hit on mobility though.
Supercilious
Clever devil-rat, you are...

There is no way not to reward thinking like that.
weblife
nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
Significantly reduced field of vision when ready to fire (a smartlink would help with this) and inability to quickly engage targets outside of a ~90 degree field (unless you drop the shield) are sufficient rewards, I should think. In any case, the recoil will still affect accuracy more than it would when holding the assault rifle normally with two hands: you lose the forearm point of control so you only have two, towards the rear of the weapon. The weapon will bounce around in the firing port; unless of course it's somehow mounted firmly in the port, in which case you can kiss mobility and maneuverability goodbye.
PBTHHHHT
So it's acting similar to a bipod support for a rifle as the rifle rests onto the shield?
weblife
I Was thinking more in the line of a mobile firing platform, more than rapid moving field of fire.

Fx as a vanguard for breaking into or out of a corp installation, corridor combat, even used by the guards defensively. SWAT use, ala Léon when they storm his apartment.

Mobile heavy cover with a fixed assaultrifle. Reduced firing angles, but heavy protection and ability to overwatch and suppress an otherwise exposed area.

Some teams would just send a Drone for the job though.
Austere Emancipator
I guess this would then be a heavy, ballistic, wheel-mounted shield, instead of a light, unsupported riot shield? If you plan on using two hands to fire the weapon the shield has to be sturdy enough to stand firmly on the ground, and since you'll want a hell of a lot of protection when just squatting there in the middle of the corridor in a firefight the shield had better be thick and heavy -- optimally you won't be moving much with a setup like that anyway.
Rotbart van Dainig
And there's the purpose of tactical ballistic shields...
Austere Emancipator
Of these types of shields, largely yes (note lack of firing ports or weapon mounts of any kind wink.gif ). I'm pretty sure weblife originally meant something more along the lines of this, which it would make no sense to give to someone armed with a longarm.
Rotbart van Dainig
My guess would be, he meant something more like this.
Austere Emancipator
Ouch... Good thing you aren't likely to use those in a situation where whatever target you might want to engage with your longarm is more than twenty or so meters off. It must be "interesting", trying to aim steadily with upwards of 13lbs resting fully on your more extended arm. Can't say much about the design of the shield otherwise -- seems like an improvement over the more old-fashioned tactical blanket shields.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012