Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wired reflexes costs way too much
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
Wired reflexes cost the same amount of essence as it did in third when nearly every other piece of cyberware cost a whole lot less, on top of that Synaptic Booster does the same thing. But let's look at the costs.

Ware essence nuyen
Synaptic Booster (1) .5 80K
Wired reflexes (1) 2.0 11K
Synaptic Booster (2) 1.0 160K
Wired reflexes (2) 3.0 32K
Synaptic Booster (3) 1.5 240K
Wired reflexes (3) 5.0 100K

Even you make the wired reflexes delta grade, you wind up paying more in both essence and nuyen. So why would you ever buy wired reflexes unless you were totally strapped for money? If it is the reflex trigger then I can understand a little more essence and money but not this level of costs.
apple
You can use Wired Reflexes for "Low-Tech"-Kampaings. Normal und High-Power-Player will often be using SBs in SR4.

SYL
wagnern
I don' t know. Maby the thought that since you are no longer married to any enhancement, and that you don't gain unuseable essence when upgrading, they thought that Wired can be a poor man's enhancement, and when you get the newyen, you can upgraded to the booster and fill the recovered essence with other cyberware.

at the level 2 level, the Wired is essence expensive, but not prohibitivly so. And the Booster is nearly 5 times the cost in newyen.
Crusher Bob
Well, the boosters is great for adepts as well. while not a great choice in character generation the very low essence cost versus power point cost make them a great deal if you have the money, especially with the increased 'cost' of initiation. As an extra bonus you can still keep the 'free points' of the sensitive system flaw.

Cynic project
QUOTE (wagnern)
at the level 2 level, the Wired is essence expensive, but not prohibitivly so. And the Booster is nearly 5 times the cost in newyen.

That is the best wired gets. 300% essence and 20% costs. If we made it delta grade we would have 150% the essence and 200% the cost. Look I don't care how much money items cost. I honestly don't as money is a plot device. Your GM can without changing the rules give you 100 to 100,000,000 for each run. Essence on the other hand has a finite number placed on it and you can only get so much of it.
mintcar
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 6 2005, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (wagnern @ Sep 6 2005, 09:22 AM)
at the level 2 level, the Wired is essence expensive, but not prohibitivly so.  And the Booster is nearly 5 times the cost in newyen.

That is the best wired gets. 300% essence and 20% costs. If we made it delta grade we would have 150% the essence and 200% the cost. Look I don't care how much money items cost. I honestly don't as money is a plot device. Your GM can without changing the rules give you 100 to 100,000,000 for each run. Essence on the other hand has a finite number placed on it and you can only get so much of it.

Thatīs right. But that doesnīt make it so wired reflexes is wrong the way they stand. As you imply the amount of money in a game is entirely relative. So some runners will find that they canīt afford anything else, while others will frown upon the outdated, invasive wires. Thatīs just the way it should be, isnīt it?
Cochise
QUOTE (mintcar)
Thatīs just the way it should be, isnīt it?

Especially since cyberware in general is considered archaic ... (or better obsolete !?)
HappyDaze
Just to keep a smooth progression, we've ruled that Wired Reflexes are 1.5 Essence and 20,000 nuyen.gif per level. This means that they take up 300% of the Essence at only 25% of the price compared to an equivalent Synaptic Booster.

We've also reduced the cost of the Adept power that provides the same bonuses to 1.5 power points per level. A relatively minor change, but it keeps a smooth progression and we like it.

Jay
Cynic project
Yea cyberware is outdated and shit. Yes make rules based off bad and horrid flavor text. Why not make rules for cyber decks as well? The wired reflexs of 2070 are not the wired reflexes of 2040,2050, 2060, or even 2064. If something is outdated and worthless they don't make it anymore. But really in the end it is about balance, and these two things aren't. Not for money or essence.
FrankTrollman
Even if Wired Reflexes cost 1 Essence and 11,000 nuyen.gif per level, it would still eventually be a bad deal. By the time you jack it up to Delta Grade, you are paying no less Essence and 30,000:nuyen: more for something which is exactly the same.

It's all very well to have it be a "poor man's solution", but it still sucks. Wired 3 doesn't even need to exist, since players aren't allowed to start with it and it's so ludicrously expensive in essence and money compared to the bioware version.

Off the shelf Synaptic Boosters are better than Delta Grade Wired by a substantial margain, and cost scarecely better than Alpha versions at the high end. And for reasons still not explained, you can get Synaptic Boosters as Alpha or Beta as well - and a Beta Grade Synaptic Booster is cheaper than a Delta Wired System even in terms of money (960,000 nuyen.gif for the Beta SB, 1,000,000 nuyen.gif for the Delta WR).

---

A more reasonable cost for Wired Reflexes would be:

Wired Reflexes (Rating 1-3)
Availability: (6 per level)
Cost: (11,000 nuyen.gif per level)
Essence: (1 per level)

And you know what? In high powered teams, people still wouldn't use them. But at least they'd be an option for people who lacked the cash for Synaptic Boosters.

-Frank
2bit
I can turn off wired reflexes.
mintcar
If Iīm poor and not looking to max out my implants itīs a good deal.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (2bit)
I can turn off wired reflexes.

You sure can. What's your point? Having Synaptic Boosters on has only one drawback: setting off Motion Detectors. But since even that rule is retarded (having Reaction Enhancement doesn't make you move faster but does make you more likely to set off motion detectors), I don't think I've seen anyone who actually felt the need to worry about that sort of thing.

There's no stupid social penalties for being wired, having a synaptic booster on all the time is just like having the adept power of increased reflexes. There's no meaningful drawback, so there's no reason why you'd care if it had an on/off switch. In fact, the only meaningful effect of the Wired Reflexes On/Off switch is that it is potentially possible for someone who hacked you to turn your reflexes off during (or before) combat.

If Iīm poor and not looking to max out my implants itīs a good deal.

I can see the argument - at least from a monetary standpoint - for Wired 1. That being said, why do the other ratings even exist if they are going to cost such ludicrously large fat stacks of cash and essence? Why aren't the later levels on the same linear scale that everything else is?

-Frank
Elve
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
having Reaction Enhancement doesn't make you move faster

it does...

you can roll more often for running... So you get faster whens printing... Without rolling you are just jogging, so no cause to run faster...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012