Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SmartGun II breakdown
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SimpleRunner
Per SR3 pg 299
Display Link: This Enhancement allows a user to display text only data from headware memory or a datajack into a "window" in his field of vision, letting him read what is displayed in his head.

Image Link: A more advanced form of the display link, the image link allows the user to display images (including video) in his field of vision from headware memory or piped through a datajack.

Now onto Man and Machine pg 32 and 33

With the text on pg 32 they break down the Smartlink 2 system into the core 4 parts listed as, induction pad, an eye display, ballistics processor, and the limited simsence rig. If a player opts to forgoe the Eye Display and get an Image link in place of that part would the Smartlink still work the same?

Now onto another part, since the Smartlink 2 also includes the Induction pad, if a player chooses to elect skipping this also in lieu of a smartgun adapter would this change the properties of the Smartlink and treat it the same as an external system? Would there be any drawbacks? Would the play still get the -2 TN with a combination of the 2 systems?

Any thoughts?
Ancient History
I believe the Image Link would do fine. It's just a pair of crosshairs, maybe ammo count.

The induction pad is necessary...without it, you can't connect to a gun at all, whether it has an external smartlink mod or an internal one.
SimpleRunner
If the person has a Datajack added into this mess wouldn't that make it un-nessesary to use the induction pad? They would just use and external cable from the Data jack to a smart gun adapter with this setup?
MYST1C
QUOTE (SimpleRunner)
If a player opts to forgoe the Eye Display and get an Image link in place of that part would the Smartlink still work the same?

In my understanding the display link is simple alphanumeric display - it can show numbers and letters but nothing else.
The image link on the other hand is a full-fledged display that can show anything like a miniature computer screen.

So the image link can be used for a smartgun system without any problems.
MYST1C
QUOTE (SimpleRunner)
They would just use and external cable from the Data jack to a smart gun adapter with this setup?

Well, I don't know Man & Machine but at least the German Mensch & Maschine mentions exactly this (datajack) as replacement for induction pad and internal wiring.

Plus, it makes for these rather cool external wires so well known from artwork...
SimpleRunner
I had thought it was mentioned somewhere on the wires, just no idea where the reference was.
Runner Smurf
I just ignore the difference between the Image Link and the Display Link - if you've already wired something into the optic nerve, how much harder is it to display animation? I just consider the less powerful one (Image Link?) to have all the capabilities of the display link.

As for using a datajack instead of an induction pad - it's in there somewhere, but I'd make sure my players never forgot about it. If they get surprised in combat, they are going to have to waste a few passes connecting up the cables or else they go without the SL bonuses.

Mind you, using a datajack to external devices is generally the way to go with most stuff To heck with implanting GPSes, Ultrasonic Vision, extra eyes, radios and transducers, I'd just buy them standard, wire up the DNI, and carry them around - fewer questions, cheaper, and much easier on the essence.

- Runner Smurf
MYST1C
QUOTE (Runner Smurf)
As for using a datajack instead of an induction pad - it's in there somewhere

In the German book it's right at the beginning of the smartgun entry, where the various sub-systems and possible replacements are listed.
Sigfried McWild
An Image Link or Smartgoggles serve as appropriate replacements for the eye display. The palm pads can be exchanged for a direct datajack connection. A simrig can be sustituted for the limited simsense rig.

from page 32 of man & machine (Smatlink and accessories game effects section)
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Sigfried McWild)
from page 32 of man & machine (Smatlink and accessories game effects section)

Pg. 32 also mentions (in the next paragraph) that the bonus is reduced w/o the induction pad:

"If a smartlink system is not entirely cybernetic (any non-implant substitutions are made), the smartlink provides only a -1 bonus to ranged combat."

Before anyone notices that some of the wording is different than the book, please note that I'm using the errata version of the sentence from shadowrunrpg.
Cain
Yes, but datajacks are implanted. That's what makes it different than, say, smartgoggles.
The White Dwarf
Last few posts are correct. You can substitute in an Image Link, but not a Display Link. Likewise, a Datajack will serve as an alternative to the Induction pad. Neither of those replacements will reduce the modifier to -1 since they are both cybernetic. Also, both will need to be connected to the Smartlink system by Routers.
Siege
There is a certain debate as to whether or not using a datajack instead of a induction pad constitutes "non-cybernetic" or not.

Best advice is to confer with your GM and see how (s)he falls on the issue.

-Siege
The White Dwarf
Thats news to me. Its listed as the example in the book, and is a direct nerual link to the gun through cyberware; more direct than an induction pad if anything. I believe the "non-cybernetic" bit is there to include people that substitue smartgoggles or a worn simrig as part of an otherwise cyberware system. Not saying there isnt a debate, or that you shouldnt check with your GM, this is just the first time Ive seen it brought up.
Game2BHappy
My mistake.

The old pre-errata sentence specifically stated that substituting the datajack for the induction pads reduced the benefit.

However, since they have errata'ed the sentence it seems pretty clear that the datajack system would be "entirely cybernetic" and would provide the full benefit.
Siege
Not to keep flogging a dead drake, but there was at least one thread earlier about "induction pad vs. datajack" and whether a datajack was entirely valid from an "implanted cybernetic" perspective.

To avoid confusion in the midst of game play, I would suggest clearing it with your GM -- that's just good SOP when making a character when there might be a bone of contention.

-Siege

Bustler
iirc there is an errata on the smartlink subsystems and cybernetic substitutions

as long as it's all cybernetically connected and substituted and not just goggles the -2 bonus applies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012