Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Average Power level?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Our DM wanted to have an average game where PC's had multiple areas of specialty instead of just two dozen dice in shooting.

What's the "average" power level of a good shooting score?

I was going to be:
Agility 7 elf (8 max)
+ 2 muscle toner
automatics 4
+2 AK97

+1 recorded reflexes
+1 (bioware that gives another +1, I forget name and don't have the book)
+2 smart linked
-------------------

That's 19 dice which is quite a lot over the DM who wanted 10-12 as maximum pool. Yet I think he's mostly looking at spellcasting pools, etc which don't benefit from cyberware, etc. Firearms also mainly have quite a bit of penalties to their scores.
FrankTrollman
What's the "average" power level of a good shooting score?

What do you want, an average value or a good value?

On a more serious note, here's how the world of (un)organized crime works in SR4:

A bunch of bar patrons, Cthulhu cultists, or villagers turned against you by sweat words or magic spells roll 4 dice.

Some gangers in the alley roll 5 dice.

When a named character walks into the room with a bunch of mooks in matching outfits, all those mooks roll 6 dice.

The Cops roll 7 dice.

Soldiers and generic military personel roll 8 dice.

Hit Squads sent by the local mob boss roll 9 dice.

When the hit squad has a name, "The Lucky Cricket Benevolence Society" for example, the members of that hit squad roll 10 dice.

Special Forces units roll 10 dice plus the number of adjectives used to describe them. So the Red Samurai are "elite" and "honorable", so they roll 12 dice. The Tir Tairngire Ghosts are "stealthy" and "masterful" and "legendary" - so they roll 13 dice. The Asamundo Nightwatch is "hard-boiled", "terrifying", "efficient", and "cannibalistic", so they roll 14 dice.

The most memorable and interesting member of any of these teams rolls 1-6 more dice than that, so you could potentially be up against a Tir Ghost Team where the team's Bard was throwing like 19 dice at you, or an Asamundo Nightwatch Team where their Blind Lazer Sniper was throwing as many as 20.

The thing about these groups is that they almost always roll that many dice on just about everything important that they do. So a group of CAS border guards is going to be rolling 8 dice regardless of whether they are using an assault rifle or a grenade launcher or a heavy machine gun. A Tir Ghost is going to be rolling 12 dice with a sniper rifle or a monowire. So just because you can make a charcater that can come up with 15 dice on some activity doesn't mean that you are Red Samurai or Nightwatch material - a starting charcater just doesn't have the depth to have what they need for that kind of environment.

A starting character is probably going to be about as good overall as a Professional Rating 3 Grunt. Which means that you should strive to roll 9 dice in several tasks and 12 dice in at least one.

-Frank
Lord Ben
But with only 1000Y to buy a smartlink nearly anyone can easily get +2 in firearms. And specialties are cheap too, so wouldn't lots of NPC cops, etc have those to things for +4 dice also?
mmu1
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 6 2005, 03:34 PM)
But with only 1000Y to buy a smartlink nearly anyone can easily get +2 in firearms.  And specialties are cheap too, so wouldn't lots of NPC cops, etc have those to things for +4 dice also?

Yep. Your GM actually seems to want below-average characters, not average ones. (much below average, as far as runners go)
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
But with only 1000Y to buy a smartlink nearly anyone can easily get +2 in firearms. And specialties are cheap too, so wouldn't lots of NPC cops, etc have those to things for +4 dice also?

Oh heck yes. Many of them do. The average one does not. That's why the Lonestar Grunt Posse on page 275 rolls 7 dice with their stun batons or pistols, but the Lonestar Named Character listed immediately afterwards has 10 dice on his Browning Max Power.

So "Detective Jacobson" rolls between 9 and 11 dice, but when "4 cops open fire", they are all doing so with 7 dice.

-Frank
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
+1 (bioware that gives another +1, I forget name and don't have the book)

If this is Enhanced Articulation, you might want to read the entry again. It only gives +1 to all Physical Skills linked to physical attributes. Thus, it doesn't apply to Combat skills. Confusion comes from the fact that it used to apply to Combat skills in SR3.
Lord Ben
Oh, is it tailored explicitly to certain skills?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Oh, is it tailored explicitly to certain skills?

"Physical Skills" is an explicit category in the skill list. "Combat Skills" and "Vehicle Skills" are different skill categories.

So Enhanced Articulation applies to Infiltration but not to Unarmed Combat.

-Frank
Lord Ben
Ah, and I assume lockpicking would also follow along? It's in another thread too, but would +1 reflex recorder and +2 smart link even stack? I only have 4 automatics so wouldn't my skill cap be 6? Or is there some loophole where one provides a bonus to skill tests instead of to skill?
Mal-2
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Ah, and I assume lockpicking would also follow along?

Locksmith is a Technical Skill, so no, enhanced articulation doesn't help.

The only physical skills linked to physical attributes are: Climbing, Diving, Escape Artist, Gymnastics, Infiltration, Palming, Parachuting, Running, and Swimming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012