Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit Bane & Watcher Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Spookymonster
Spirit Bane is a 10BP flaw... er, negative quality.... that makes you the 3-foot flame tickling the ass of every spirit of a specific type. The player chooses which type of spirit - Air, Water, Earth, Fire, Man, Beast, or Watchers.

Um, Watchers?

Sure, I can see this being a nuisance, maybe even occassionally life-threatening: watchers randomly manifesting above the head of a stealthing character, screaming, "here he is, fellas! Come and get him!!!". But would that necessarily make this quality as hazardous as it would be against, say Fire spirits?
blakkie
Would it help Watchers spot him (Perception checks) or when they are searching for him?
Spookymonster
The quality grants no extra powers or abilities to the spirits, so I'd say no.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
But would that necessarily make this quality as hazardous as it would be against, say Fire spirits?

Watchers are far more common than fire spirits?
Space Ghost
Actually, i think the scariest thing imaginable is a cheesed-off air spirit. Unless you're a mage, you'll have one hell of a time killing it. Force x 4 for Reaction? So at F5 we're talking about 20 dice to defend against melee and ranged attacks.

Wow. How the hell do you kill that? As long as mods don't reduce it's defense dice to somewhere close to your own Agility+Skill, you can pretty much forget it.
Siege
I think that's the point - pissing off any spirit is bad news.

Pissing off watcher spirits? Free BP.

-Siege
hyzmarca
Three Words, "Astral attack pack". Watcher bane may not seem like a big deal, untill you step in an Astral Shallow one day and are mobbed by 80 of them at one time.
hahnsoo
Or being pestered by one at an inopportune time. Like a screaming materialized watcher while you are trying to do a Infiltration/Stealth operation.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
Actually, i think the scariest thing imaginable is a cheesed-off air spirit. Unless you're a mage, you'll have one hell of a time killing it. Force x 4 for Reaction? So at F5 we're talking about 20 dice to defend against melee and ranged attacks.

Wow. How the hell do you kill that?

You don't; you banish it ASAP.

Speaking of banishing - can you resist drain from it? Sure, the book says you can resist drain from Summoning and Binding, but it doesn't say the same about Banishing. I would assume so. This would make Watcher spirits ideal for Spirit Bane as well; with a dice pool of 6 or more, you'll almost never have to worry about drain.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Or being pestered by one at an inopportune time. Like a screaming materialized watcher while you are trying to do a Infiltration/Stealth operation.

Can watchers materialize in SR4? I tought that they could only manifest in SR3.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 6 2005, 09:02 PM)
Can watchers materialize in SR4? I tought that they could only manifest in SR3.

My apologies, I meant manifest, not materialize. They can't materialize (have a physical form), but they can Manifest (show up on the physical plane), as on p181.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012