Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Err...do Orcs have a point, mechanics-wise?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JonathanC
20 points seems a bit expensive for low-light vision and a starting Body of 3. Now I only got to browse the rules at my friend's house for a few minutes, so I could definitely be missing something here, which is why I'm asking. Do Orcs have any other plus-sides? Humans get +1 edge for zero points....seems like a better deal.
Ellery
Orks have +3 body, +2 strength, -1 charisma, -1 logic. Since the charisma and logic still start at 1 (the max just lowers by one), it's not a horrible deal.
OSUMacbeth
Ack, just looked at orks, actuallly a pretty good deal. 3 additional starting body and 2 additional starting strength for one less logic and one less charisma. That works out to 30BP of net stat points for a 20BP cost, plus low-light vision for free. Not bad at all. Admittedly, Human is great, though. I personally perfer being human, so that works out pretty well for me. Though, I might see what happens when I re-build my first character as an ork...

OSUMacbeth
Phoniex
If you don't plan on maxing logic or charisma, orcs then earn you points. Because of the str and body bonuses are more than the 20 points you spent to become an orc.

Plus, you get to be green rotfl.gif

So far my opinion is that trolls get the shaft, elves.. are just evil as always. But dwarves and orcs and humans all have their good aspects, and are reasonably costed. Just keep an eye on what your trying to make, the orc face can be made, but you will never be as good as the elf. Which is something I think we are going to hear for a while.... never as good as the elf.
JonathanC
Do metas still get a karma (or in this case edge)/exp penalty like in SR3? Or has that changed too?
OSUMacbeth
Yes, yes, elves are good. Just keep in mind that a +1 agility, while it will affect many tests, will not affect them very much. An additional success once out of every three tests, per skill. And of the 20 or so skills based on agility, how many do you really need on one character? Don't blame the poor elves; blame the devs for making twenty-some odd skills rely on AGI. dead.gif

OSUMacbeth
Ravennus
Actually, Orks are among the most cost effective metatypes to take in chargen.

Not only do they get low-light vision, but they get +3 to Body (So a 4 starting Body, not 3) and +2 to Strength (3 starting). They also take a -1 to Charisma and Logic, though this just deducts from the max...both these attributes still start at 1.

While Strength isn't all it used to be in previous editions, Body should not be underestimated for keeping you alive. Also, it should be noted that Orks still have a 6 max rating (baring exceptional quality) to two of the more important attributes for combat...Agility and Reaction. Both dwarves and trolls take a hit to these.

Also, you can't beat that the Ork is the cheapest metatype at 20 points.

And damn, you get to be a tusker? What else could you want? Orxploitation Fo'eva!

-Ravennus

Edit- Bah, other fine dumpshockers beat me to the punch!
hahnsoo
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Do metas still get a karma (or in this case edge)/exp penalty like in SR3? Or has that changed too?

They never got a "Karma Penalty", in terms of having less "XP" or "Good Karma". They just gained Karma Pool at a slower rate (but started with 2 points of Karma Pool) under default rules. In SR4, Humans get an extra point of Edge (and also have a higher racial Max for Edge), but all races can improve Edge at the same "rate" (which is increased just like any other Attribute).
OSUMacbeth
Because there is no karma pool, metas don't take a penalty to it. However, the old karma pool is now the edge attribute. Metas don't take a penalty, but humans get a racial +1 min/max. I very much like that humans get a bonus now, and a very good one.

OSUMacbeth
FrankTrollman
Orks are the master race. You can't afford to maximize your Logic or Charisma as almost any character archetype. The attribute caps are at an average stat value of 3.5 - so Orks paying a premium to take Logic and Charisma past 4 scarcely ever comes up.

So for 20 build points, an Edge, and the "drawback" that Logic and Charisma have their maximums dropped from one number you can't afford to another number that you also can't afford: you get Low Light Vision, and 50 points worth of free attributes.

OK, maybe that wasn't said loudly enough: You MAKE 20 character points just by writing "Ork" on your character sheet!

Even if you don't even intend to be a strength or body focused character, even if you plan to be a multi-purpose hacker/face, the act of writing "Ork" on your character sheet takes actual character points and hands them to you. It effectively raises the attribute expenditure caps to 250, and the first 50 points are free. And it only costs 30 points that don't apply to the cap.

Being an Ork is about space accountants giving you build points in exchange for you having bigger teeth and looking that much more awesome.

-Frank
Phoniex
QUOTE (OSUMacbeth)
Yes, yes, elves are good. Just keep in mind that a +1 agility, while it will affect many tests, will not affect them very much. An additional success once out of every three tests, per skill. And of the 20 or so skills based on agility, how many do you really need on one character? Don't blame the poor elves; blame the devs for making twenty-some odd skills rely on AGI. dead.gif

OSUMacbeth

That 1 die, applies to virtually ALL real world tests. So in a single case, yes 1 die means nothing. But over a gaming session, when 50 tests are called for and 30 of them use agility as the base stat... well that 1 agil, just bought you 10 more hits. Which is more than worth it. And we might not have all 20 some agil based skills, but there is not a shadowrunner without at least 1-2, and many runners will have the majority of their skills based on agility.

Just like muscle toner rating 4 is now 10 times more broken than 3rd edition enhanced articulation, which was just so wrong.

*bonk dev's on the head* and i like blaming the leaf eaters, its fun smile.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Orks are the master race. You can't afford to maximize your Logic or Charisma as almost any character archetype. The attribute caps are at an average stat value of 3.5 - so Orks paying a premium to take Logic and Charisma past 4 scarcely ever comes up.

So for 20 build points, an Edge, and the "drawback" that Logic and Charisma have their maximums dropped from one number you can't afford to another number that you also can't afford: you get Low Light Vision, and 50 points worth of free attributes.

OK, maybe that wasn't said loudly enough: You MAKE 20 character points just by writing "Ork" on your character sheet!

Even if you don't even intend to be a strength or body focused character, even if you plan to be a multi-purpose hacker/face, the act of writing "Ork" on your character sheet takes actual character points and hands them to you. It effectively raises the attribute expenditure caps to 250, and the first 50 points are free. And it only costs 30 points that don't apply to the cap.

Being an Ork is about space accountants giving you build points in exchange for you having bigger teeth and looking that much more awesome.

-Frank

Ah, okay. Like I said, I hadn't read the book that extensively (still waiting for the thing to show up at my game store), so I missed the extra strength, and I honestly didn't know how the stat negatives worked in this game.

But of course, there is the drawback of the Ork's short lifespan, and (assumed) rapid aging. By the time you're 25, you're already going bald. biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (JonathanC)
But of course, there is the drawback of the Ork's short lifespan, and (assumed) rapid aging. By the time you're 25, you're already going bald. biggrin.gif

That is one way to to interpret the somewhat lower Orc life expectancy data.
JonathanC
See, I had originally assumed that the life expectancy thing was just due to the poverty and violence that Orks were exposed to, but I remember hearing on this forum years ago that there was a novel that established that they age at a hyper rate. Not sure if that is canon, though.
Conskill
Think it was Nosferatu (first SR novel I read, oddly enough) that showed a hyper-aged ork.

[ Spoiler ]
blakkie
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 7 2005, 01:51 AM)
See, I had originally assumed that the life expectancy thing was just due to the poverty and violence that Orks were exposed to, but I remember hearing on this forum years ago that there was a novel that established that they age at a hyper rate. Not sure if that is canon, though.

I believe that particular item discussed later on in that thread i linked.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (JonathanC)

Erm, depending on your genes, you may be going bald at 25 anyway, Ork or not. Male Pattern Baldness does affect some people as early as their 20s. I've known a couple of folks who already lost most of their hair on top, and they weren't even out of undergrad yet. smile.gif
Space Ghost
Another example of orks getting a leg up from SR3 is that they can play a spellcaster with relative ease. Since they only take a hit on logic, not intuition, playing a shaman is pretty viable. Much better than the -Int/Cha that kept them down in the spellcasting division. Not much cause to be a hermetic mage, but that's alright in my book.

And the introduction of Intuition as a stat makes me feel that orks aren't quite as dim as the used to be. Less booksmart, yes, but not idiotic or oblivious. Same with trolls, really. A -1 to both Logic and Intuition isn't quite as limiting as the old -2 to Int.
blakkie
Er, Shaman use Cha to resist drain. Not Int. Although there is the option of custom Traditions that use Intuition to resist drain, if it'll fly with the GM.
Oracle
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 7 2005, 10:48 AM)
Er, Shaman use Cha to resist drain. Not Int.

And orks have no "hit" on charisma. Just the maximum attribute value is reduced.
blakkie
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 7 2005, 10:48 AM)
Er, Shaman use Cha to resist drain. Not Int.

And orks have no "hit" on charisma. Just the maximum attribute value is reduced.

Well ya, none of them have a hit per-say in SR4. But it does make it a bit more costly if you are going to raise it to 5, and you are always one die short at your maximum.
morlock76
QUOTE (blakkie)
But it does make it a bit more costly if you are going to raise it to 5, and you are always one die short at your maximum.

That cost increase is only at CharGen, the text about raising attributes (page 264) doesn't state any additional increase at the cap.

Yes your a die shy, but you could still get an Exceptional Attribute with the saved points from Body / Strength smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (morlock76 @ Sep 7 2005, 03:15 AM)
That cost increase is only at CharGen, the text about raising attributes (page 264) doesn't state any additional increase at the cap.

Well, ya. That was implied. You want to have a Sample Character gimp with Cha(4), or do you want a REAL shaman? cool.gif

Yes your a die shy, but you could still get an Exceptional Attribute with the saved points from Body / Strength smile.gif

That puppy would be headed straight over to Will in my way of thinking. [EDIT: If not bumping up the prime drain stat already.] Ok, so everyone could use a little more Body. But WTF does this shaman want with Str? REAL shamans don't worry about how much they can benchpress. wink.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (Conskill)
Think it was Nosferatu (first SR novel I read, oddly enough) that showed a hyper-aged ork.

Never Trust An Elf* (by Bob Charette, one of the original SR designers!) had the protagonist meet his grandfather and his mother, all three of them orks.
The grandfather was in his sixties - but as explained he was originally a human who goblinized into an ork resulting in normal human life expectancy and aging.
His daughter (Kham's mother) on the other hand was born an ork - senile and seemingly ages old at in fact not even forty years...

And one of the sourcebooks (maybe "Year of the Comet") had an ork comment along the lines of "by the age we are allowed to drink alcohol we are almost dead".

The fire that burns twice as hot only burns half as long.
I've always belonged to the "low life expectancy due to rapid aging" faction. There are numerous references to orks reaching physical maturity at an age where other metahumans hit puberty.
From this perspective their high reproduction rate makes sense, too.

* The same book also gave comments about elves and dwarfs:
Elves mature like humans at first but somewhen in their 20s seemingly stop to age.
Dwarfs look old at a quite young age but then stay that way until their death.

Can anybody who knows Earthdawn tell us how those things are there?
Oracle
QUOTE (MĨ$T1C @ Sep 7 2005, 11:58 AM)
Can anybody who knows Earthdawn tell us how those things are there?

The same. But I don't think dwarves really look old early.

Many orks in ED live after a "live fast die young" codex. They try to get everything possible out of their limited lifespan. Possibly that explains their fondness for hurlg... grinbig.gif
morlock76
Very much is written about the orkish ways, as they tend to "embrace life to the fullest" (as they dont have much time to do so).

And they surely give short fuse a fully new meaning...

Edit: Hm, I guess I should type quicker :-/
Oracle
I hope your gahad is not triggered by that...don't try anything stupid or I'll give you buunda.... ^^
Cochise
QUOTE (MĨ$T1C)
Never Trust An Elf* (by Bob Charette, one of the original SR designers!) had the protagonist meet his grandfather and his mother, all three of them orks.
The grandfather was in his sixties - but as explained he was originally a human who goblinized into an ork resulting in normal human life expectancy and aging.
His daughter (Kham's mother) on the other hand was born an ork - senile and seemingly ages old at in fact not even forty years...

And that's one of the things that SR4 simply threw overboard:

QUOTE (p.65 @ SR4)
Many fi rst and second generation
orks and trolls—especially those who goblinized—died young,
indicating the relatively low lifespan of these metatypes

So much for continuity ... That's one big minus on my list concerning SR4
OSUMacbeth
I remember it saying that Kham's father didn't die young - most likely from being goblinized. I do not, however, remember the book making any such claim for the entire ork race. Is it possible that your blame of SR4 might be jumping the gun, a bit?

OSUMacbeth
morlock76
Well in this case I am glad I am using a printed version, as my black marker is just an inch away smile.gif
Crusher Bob
You can get a statline that looks like:

BOD 4
AGL 3
REA 5
STR 3
CHA 4
INT 5
LOG 4
WIL 5

for 220 points, including the cost of being an ork. You can trade off a few points for AGL 5 if you want it.

The troll statline of:

BOD 5
AGL 4
REA 5
STR 5
CHA 3
INT 4
LOG 4
WIL 5

For 230 points (including the cost of being a troll) is not too shabby either. And you can get another point of body or strength if you really want one.
FrankTrollman
Since many people seem to have overlooked it in the other thread:

Ork Rapid Aging is something that happens to many Orks (goblinized or not), and as of 2065 it was pathologized and described - and people were working on a cure. In 2050 it was called "sometimes Orks just fall over dead from old age for no damned reason", and in 2065 it was called "Methuselah Syndrome" and had specific described symptoms. Advances in medicine are fighting Methuselah Syndrome, and many more (especially rich) Orks are going to live to a full human age.

This is the best of both worlds from a storytelling standpoint, and fits the available backstory flawlessly. In the case of the Ork family in the underground, the family had some members who had Methuselah Syndrome and some who did not - and lacking any access to cutting edge medical research they came up with a reasonable hypothesis as to why it had happened in that pattern and were wrong. Remember, these guys aren't doctors, they just have a relatively small sample size and are straight up guessing.

From a storytelling standpoint, if you want a "live-fast, die young" character as a PC or NPC, have them get a gray hair and a Methuselah Diagnosis. If you want an Orkish character who lives to a ripe old age far past the confines of the game - just have them be one of the guys who got passed over. The late SR3 resolution to the Ork lifespan debate essentially allows any player or game master to use the best aspects of both long and short Orkish lifespans in the story - and SR4 has embraced that whole heartedly.

If you don't want your Orkish character to die young, just don't have them die young. If you want them to die young, they have a perfect built-in excuse for borrowed time.

-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 7 2005, 10:02 AM)
....and in 2065 it was called "Methuselah Syndrome" and had specific described symptoms....

Which was a one-of ripoff from Bladerunner. Basically canon is a mixed basket of fruit on the subject....which once again was covered in the other thread and covered adnauseum in the main Shadowrun forum.
hahnsoo
Note that there is only one reference to Methuselah syndrome (with no reference to what kind of disease it is other than "genetic", whether it is dominant/recessive, multifactorial, or metagene, no description of the constellation that makes up the syndrome, and how one would test for it) (Shadows of Asia, p133):
Publicity is once again coming his way, however. Early last month, Yuri announced that he had been diagnosed with Methuselah’s syndrome, a genetic disorder common in many orks, in which the body ages at an accelerated pace.

This is generally a "cop-out" in the medical community, much like the linkage between Obesity and DM Type II being called "Syndrome X", and the early days of AIDS (also called "Syndrome X" for a time). It's identifiable, but can be confused with other disease states (how do you tell if hair-thinning is Methuselah syndrome or simply Male Pattern Baldness?).
blakkie
AIDS was also called GRID at one point. Gay Related Immune Deficancy.
mintcar
Bet that one isnīt in the school books.
OSUMacbeth

A shoot-from-the-hip reaction would probably label these doctors bigots or hate-mongers or somesuch, but I feel it important to point out that these doctors were making the best guess they had using the available data, namely that practically all cases did seem to be gay males. We know better now, mind, but the researchers at the time were making a reasonable assumption based on the evidence at hand.

OSUMacbeth
blakkie
QUOTE (OSUMacbeth)

A shoot-from-the-hip reaction would probably label these doctors bigots or hate-mongers or somesuch, but I feel it important to point out that these doctors were making the best guess they had using the available data, namely that practically all cases did seem to be gay males. We know better now, mind, but the researchers at the time were making a reasonable assumption based on the evidence at hand.

OSUMacbeth

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't passing judgement. It was a brand new freaky disease and at that point (late 70's, very early 80's) there was definately a very solid trend of the patient's sexual preferences, in NA at least. But that is the point, sometimes a disease initially gets associated with a particular group even though the relation to the group is more coincidental than it first appears.
hahnsoo
Yeah, the association with homosexual males actually set-back AIDS research by a good year or so, as med experts pursued that particular red herring. We're all only human, and sometimes we jump to the wrong conclusions. To put it another way, while doctors were busy quarantining homosexual male patients, AIDS was running rampant in other populations (heterosexual, hemophiliacs, etc.). This is in addition to the inter-lab bickering and competition, and that whole HTLV-3 thing that turned out to be a bust.
2bit
the idea of there being a "cure" for rapid ork aging is FANTASTIC. What a perfect holy grail. Imagine what an ork would do for the promise of a "normal" lifespan.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (2bit)
the idea of there being a "cure" for rapid ork aging is FANTASTIC. What a perfect holy grail. Imagine what an ork would do for the promise of a "normal" lifespan.

And what a holy grail for a corporation who discovers this and markets the product. Like Chris Rock says about AIDS... the money's in the medicine, not the cure.
mintcar
Calling it Methuselah Syndrome seems a bit cruel and ironic to me. nyahnyah.gif

blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)

But they LOOK like they are 960+ years old. It's all about the image! cool.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mintcar)

No more so than calling Rabies "Hydrophobia".

-Frank
mintcar
Donīt know why that is and donīt care to look it up. Anybody care to explain?
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)
Donīt know why that is and donīt care to look it up. Anybody care to explain?

IIRC, near the end of rabies the victim has a lot of difficulty swallowing water. So much so that they tend to act very negatively at the sight of water or being force fed it. Once apon a time rabies was called hydrophobia (Greek root is literally fear of water) because of this symptom.
mintcar
That is certainly a bit cruel, but not as ironic as Meth syndrome.
FrankTrollman
Rabies causes a great difficulty in swallowing, and the actual death is usually caused by dehydration. Early medicine associated the patient's constant distress and "refusal" to drink as being adversarial to water.

So the terminology was "hydrophobia" - fear of water. For people who were dying of thirst from swelling and loss of muscular control.

That's irony.

-Frank
mintcar
That explanation does point to the irony of it. Conspicuously
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Rabies causes a great difficulty in swallowing, and the actual death is usually caused by dehydration.

Perhaps in pre-20th century medicine, but most deaths nowadays from Rabies comes from paralysis leading to respiratory failure. It's a neurological disease that progresses to paralysis then coma and death in about a week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012