Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riggers new toy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chance359
<evil grin>
Slump
Wow. They don't know what a "hefty price" is to the military -- at under $400k a pop, those things are a bargain!
Austere Emancipator
Only in Japan... Putting a pile of junk like that on a battlefield is the worst idea since this.
Lindt
Both cool 'ideas', but totally un workable currently.

But prehaps China could buy a few thousand of them, and invade say, the local Burger King?
nezumi
We've seen that picture before. Notice you can't ever find a picture of it actually WALKING. The thing is on wheels, it rolls, and it's not 'real' (in the sense that it's any good). I suspect that website you quoted is unscruplous or incompetent when it comes to checking sources.
L.D
Except that you can now download two short clips where it not only "walks", but also fires. Just follow the link...
nick012000
And its guns are loaded with nerf balls.
Nyxll
It doesn't really walk. It shuffles. It does the same thing as the $15 robot toy I bought my daughter. Rather disappointing.
WhiteRabbit
Large bipedal machines are worthless in the real world. If you want a large walking machinne it needs to have six legs to be practical.
Shadow
I would love to see this on the battlefield. Then I would love to hit it smack dab in the glass cockpit with my anti tank missile.

Battletech was an awesome game, but a very poor reality.
blakkie
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit @ Sep 8 2005, 10:22 AM)
Large bipedal machines are worthless in the real world.  If you want a large walking machinne it needs to have six legs to be practical.

Ya, it is difficult to build rugged articulation that duplicates what humans can do. Shifting our center of gravity to over top one foot then the other. If you can't do that you shuffle.
mmu1
QUOTE (WhiteRabbit)
Large bipedal machines are worthless in the real world. If you want a large walking machinne it needs to have six legs to be practical.

You need six legs to make them work, period - practical, they'll never be except in extremely specialized applications. (like crawling over rubble at an erthquake site, or something)

They're mechanically inefficient, have major ground pressure issues, will always carry less payload than a tracked or wheeled vehicle, have a much lower top speed... If propulsion light enough and structural materials strong enough to make sci-fi mecha and walkers practical are ever invented, they'll just serve to make conventional AFVs that much more effective.

(Sorry to rant, but I've been in so many "discussions" about this, it doesn't take much... wink.gif)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shadow)
I would love to see this on the battlefield. Then I would love to hit it smack dab in the glass cockpit with my anti tank missile.

This particularly piece of machinery would be a waste of anti-tank weaponry. Just riddle it with small arms fire.
Shadow
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
This particularly piece of machinery would be a waste of anti-tank weaponry. Just riddle it with small arms fire.

Lol! Well I figured they would have made it with ballistic glass or something. Maybe just a sharp knife to the hose that feeds the hydraulics.
kryton
In theory it could work. The technology is raw but so was the first plane. For something that's tall like that it might be usefull for fire and rescue. They need massive R&D improvment on the movement and better control systems but it's a first prototype.

I don't know if there's alot of military usefullness but it could be usefull for fire and rescue especially if it was fire retardent and had a good internal cooling system. Ideally a ladder though is a cheaper alternative. Or it could be used to go into fires and with armor it could put out fires. Although smaller drones might be a cheaper and safer alternative. Who knows though maybe research into this area might bear fruits for viable powerarmor in the future.

In anycase it's one hell of a way to promote your company. Mecha may not be practical but there is a "Ahhhhhh" factor. Hell I'd pay 100 bucks to walk around in a Chicken-mech. Hey Chicken mech paintball could be fun too? Maybe their going for a recreational market for folks who have money to burn....Maybe you'll see old Snoop Dog take his Mechizzle and Vaggilze down to the red carpet fagiizle at next year's emmies? I'll stop there.......
ShadowDragon8685
Cute toy, but you could literally run rings around it, kill it with small arms fire or even, dare I say it, a good melee weapon (crowbar) in the right spots on it's joints. Too slow, it shuffles, not walks, and the way that gun was wobbling with each 'step' - not good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012