Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mana bolt clarification
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thufar_Hawat
Need help here, played a game tonight with the mage in the group slinging mana bolt at force five everywhere and it seems very powerful over elemental spells.

Magic 5
Spell casting 5

so 10 dice casting a force 5 mana bolt = 3 hits

Mana bolt is resisted by will power, average grunt willpower 4 = 1 hit

net result 2 hits and the grunt takes force 5 + 2hits or 7 boxes of physical damage.

The mage only has to resist force/2 = 2 boxes of damage

With his willpower 4 and logic 3 (total 7) he should get 2 hits average for an easy soak.

why would a mage ever cast lightning bolt, that has a much higher drain and more chance of being resisted by someone wearing armour and with a high body.

Have i got something wrong?
Cochise
QUOTE (Thufar_Hawat)
Need help here, played a game tonight with the mage in the why would a mage ever cast lightning bolt, that has a much higher drain and more chance of being resisted by someone wearing armour and with a high body.

Because his nifty manabolt is going to do nothing against non-living targets ...
And and then there's still: Style over stubstance ...
hahnsoo
Electricity damage is a LOT nastier now than it was before. Just look at the rules for it on p154, and you'll see that it has a chance to knock people out of the combat even if the damage is resisted. If you want to do damage, and still have a chance of instantly taking down the target of the effect, use Electrical damage. Even drones and vehicles can be "shorted out" by it.
mintcar
Indeed those elemental damage rules are pretty nifty.

So on this topic. Drain seems to be lower in this edition. Spells seem to be more powerful. Anyone else who has tested playing the game who can speak up about the ballance there.
hahnsoo
Stunbolt is your new god, as long as you aren't afraid to Overcast... the EXTREMELY low drain and the boxes of stun damage pretty much guarantee that you will be taking down one person every initiative pass with zero drain.

Electricity damage is also your new god, for mundanes with StickNShock and for folks who like Lightning Bolt. It's very difficult to make that Body + Willpower (3) roll. Our entire team was taken out by a combination of StickNShock and Neurostun (the one person who managed to not get hit by the StickNShock). Wear non-conductive armor, folks.

Antidote has to be the crappiest spell in the book. smile.gif
Thufar_Hawat
Thanks for the help guys.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Stunbolt is your new god, as long as you aren't afraid to Overcast... the EXTREMELY low drain and the boxes of stun damage pretty much guarantee that you will be taking down one person every initiative pass with zero drain.

Unless your opposition has magical support with solid Counterspelling to help keep them on their feet.
IntoxiChrist
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 7 2005, 06:58 PM)

Unless your opposition has magical support with solid Counterspelling to help keep them on their feet.

Which brings the old maxim, "geek the mage" back into play.
Zen Shooter01
Manabolt is ten times more useful than any indirect combat spell. MAG+spellcasting vs. WIL, with F/2, round down, for drain. Lo, I have become Death.

Compare to Flamethrower, which is MAG+Spellcasting vs. Reaction to score a hit, then the target resisting with BOD + 1/2 impact, and a chance that the armor will convert the damage to stun. Spellcaster suffers F/2+3. With a Force 5 Manabolt, 2 hits are needed to soak the drain. With a Force 5 Flamethrower, 5 hits are needed to soak the drain. Lo, I have become a Doofus who sets off sprinklers.

Yes, Flamethrower gets secondary effects, but for sheer damage done to drain ratio, Manabolt every time.

By the way, I want to complain about the way the spells are listed. Manabolt appears under D alphabetically, because it's listed in a group with Death Touch, and so on.
Clyde
It's always been true that the combat spells like Manabolt are much more efficient than elemental manipulations when it comes to damage over drain ratios. In SR3 at least, you had visibility and cover modifiers affecting the casting. That in turn meant a decent chance that any given stunball totally whiffed under bad conditions. On the other hand, a fireball was guaranteed devastation.

Really, it's a matter of situation. Lightning bolt has all those neat effects. Fireball ought to cook off EX ammo and grenades nicely. Since EX is now the ultimate choice in ammo, it seems likely that your enemies will be carrying a lot of it. Nice to clear out a room with one shot, even if it does cause you to take drain. cool.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Sep 9 2005, 05:59 AM)
Yes, Flamethrower gets secondary effects, but for sheer damage done to drain ratio, Manabolt every time.

For sheer damage done to Drain ratio, Stunbolt every time!

Once they're down, you can do what you want with them.

At -1 DV compared to a Manabolt, you can overcast to Force 7 while only risking 2 boxes of (maybe physical) Drain. And Trolls are easier to take down with stun.
Dashifen
Reminds me of the Force 9 Exclusive stunbolt for a TN of 2 smile.gif I love(d) that one.
Zen Shooter01
Fortune: I've never accepted the argument that stun damage is as good as physical damage. In the chaos of combat, your assumption that once they're down they're at your mercy is a very big one.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Fortune: I've never accepted the argument that stun damage is as good as physical damage. In the chaos of combat, your assumption that once they're down they're at your mercy is a very big one.

In SR3 this was accurate. In SR4, when the stun track can be and frequently is nontrivially shorter than the physical track, the advantages of stun start to outweigh the disadvantages.

~J
Adarael
Stunbolt is your new god...

Dude, Stunbolt has been my god for eight years. *G*
Orient
QUOTE (Adarael)
Dude, Stunbolt has been my god for eight years. *G*

And Lightning Bolt's been juiced up, too. Did someone ask during game development you what your character's primary spells were, or is it luck...?
Whizbang
Fireball might have killer drain...but it still has style value, particularly for all us pyromaniacs. smile.gif
Phoniex
QUOTE (Thufar_Hawat)
why would a mage ever cast lightning bolt, that has a much higher drain and more chance of being resisted by someone wearing armour and with a high body.

It has been said before, but i will say it again: drones

Plus you can probably fry all mannor of electric toys/networks/ect now or at least cause them to reboot.

Although i do miss the sr3 rule that basically negated all low force spells against armoured drones frown.gif My toys can get broken now frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012