Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lord Ben
Tracers say they can be loaded with other ammo, and other ammo has modifiers. If you load your gun with tracer and EX rounds does that reduce damage or anything?
OSUMacbeth
Loading tracer rounds has no effect other than that listed: increasing to-hit. If you don't think this makes sense, keep in mind that when firing more than one bullet at once, you only apply the ammo mod once, so it really makes no less sense.

OSUMacbeth
Lord Ben
But can you load two EX, then one tracer, then two EX, etc?
Aku
yes. Think about it, do you get any addt'l bonus for firing three ex ex rounds? No, just for the fact that you are.
blakkie
The really messed up thing that happens is when you then use that ammo loadout in SA mode. smile.gif

P.S. Personally i'm inclined to require that tracers be added as an option to a specific type of round. You want to use tracers with Ex-ex? You have to buy the tracer ammo that way, and pay more than the 10 nuyen.gif /round Ex-ex costs for it.
Aku
well, then y not just tack the costs of tracer ammo onto the ammo you're using?
blakkie
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 3 2005, 03:40 PM)
well, then y not just tack the costs of tracer ammo onto the ammo you're using?

Basically, that would be the effect. The easiest is to just tack an extra 25 nuyen.gif /box of 10 to have every 3rd round be a tracer.
Azralon
Pity they didn't just say something like "For a little extra money you can get a thin coating of phosphor added to any ammo type, effectively turning it into a tracer without modifying damage capacity."
Dragonscript
Tracer rounds have a small hollow ass-end that is usually filled with a magnesium blend to create a light so that you can see it as it flies. Based on that, you can make any type of ammo "tracer".

For the M2 .50 cal machinegun the military uses "Incendiary, Armor Piercing Tracer" rounds.
blakkie
The problem is that material in the back end of the slug takes up enough room that the weight difference from a normal slug actually can change it's tragectory. Even more so as the material burns away (within an little as few 100m, depending on the types). So squeezing it into some types of ammo could be a bit tougher than in standard rounds, without designing the round that way to start with.

SR rounds might also no longer be using traditional burning tracers, but instead electronic LEDs. This has been considered, but i don't think ever successfully implemented, for tracers IRL. The distinct advantage to them being that the LED's light is a lot more directional making it a LOT harder for others to follow the tracer line back to the shooter. The rules don't actually mention anything about that effect.

P.S. The bonus dice for Tracers do not stack with the 2 die SL bonus. Nobody mentioned that here, but i just noticed in the other thread talking about tracers someone suggested stacking them.
Azralon
That's why I was saying it could just be a thin luminous (possibly heat-activated) coating around the projectile itself, thereby not significantly altering its ballistic properties but giving it a better visual signature.

Ooh, tracer buckshot. That'd be purty.
Squinky
But they can still stack with a lasersight, by my understanding....
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
That's why I was saying it could just be a thin luminous (possibly heat-activated) coating around the projectile itself, thereby not significantly altering its ballistic properties but giving it a better visual signature.

Ooh, tracer buckshot. That'd be purty.

You don't want it on the front side of the slug though. That would be bad. You might as well coat yourself in flourescent paint.
blakkie
QUOTE (Squinky)
But they can still stack with a lasersight, by my understanding....

I don't see anything saying it doesn't, as opposed to it explicitly stating that SL users don't get the bonus.
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
You don't want it on the front side of the slug though. That would be bad. You might as well coat yourself in flourescent paint.

Heh, indeed.
Seizure
C'mon, this is SR4. Why cant there be a 'tracer chip'?

Basically a rice sized chip to any bullet that sends out a signal over short range and then shows up on the image link of the shooter, all calculated with the smartlink's processor.

Kind of like that thing they did with hockey a few years back, where the puck had a red or blue streak behind it on television so people could keep their eyes on where it was and was going.

This way though, you would need to download the proper codes for each bullet beforehand, but only YOU could see the streak.

It's possible to be hacked, but not within the time that it takes for the bullet to hit the hacker. smile.gif If hacked beforehand and used by another source....like say the target. I'd give them a bonus to dodge.
Thorncrow
One problem, even in the 2070's adding microtronics to ammunition costs money, and money makes the world go 'round. Why spend x amount of nuyen per round to add a night light to it when it's more cost effective to do the old standby of a phosphorous/magnesium blend. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, tracers (in the real world anyway) only provide a significant benefit when used in full-auto weapons, and they come pre-belted every fifth round. One downside to tracers is that they work both ways, your opponent can see where you are firing from as well. In our world this isn't such a big deal because our weapons still use gun powder and there is a often a muzzle flash that is more visible than the tracer. But in SR caseless weapons are more the rule than the exception, no muzzle-flash natch. However, tracers are better at giving away your position this way then. An interesting not is that (real world) the US military has adopted new IR tracer rounds that can't be seen by the naked eye, but are like torches when using night vision, pretty cool huh? Great way for runners with augmented senses to gain a slight edge, unless your opposition has augmented senses too...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Thorncrow)
But in SR caseless weapons are more the rule than the exception, no muzzle-flash natch.

Caseless ammunition still uses burning propellant powder, it's only compressed (and possibly lacquered or something) so that it doesn't need a metallic (or polymer) case. A weapon firing caseless ammunition has a muzzle flash just like a weapon firing cased ammunition does.

Caseless ammo in action.
Azralon
QUOTE (Seizure @ Oct 4 2005, 03:07 PM)
Basically a rice sized chip to any bullet that sends out a signal over short range and then shows up on the image link of the shooter, all calculated with the smartlink's processor.

If tracers and smartlinks are mutually exclusive, then the idea (while neat) seems functionally moot.

And hey, why don't the infrared-seeing metatypes get "free" tracer effects with normal bullets? They're all hot and stuff.

Dangit, we're injecting too much logic into this.
Thorncrow
Thanks for the link Austere, had loads of good info. But from what I saw in the video it doesn't look like a muzzle flash to me, more like the vent gases from compression. Also, on the G11 I thought the gas vent on the barrell was in place specifically to eliminate flash and act as a recoil suppressor. What are your thoughts on it? Also in the SR concept I could see chemical improvements to caseless ammo significantly reducing muzzle flash. Thoughts?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Thorncrow)
But from what I saw in the video it doesn't look like a muzzle flash to me, more like the vent gases from compression.

You rarely see the "flames" of a muzzle flash on a video, very rarely in daylight. Believe me, the flash is there. It's still a burning propellant which is still burning when it gets ejected out of a barrel, and if it's dark outside it's going to be seen just fine.

QUOTE (Thorncrow)
Also, on the G11 I thought the gas vent on the barrell was in place specifically to eliminate flash and act as a recoil suppressor.

Flash suppressors and muzzle brakes can be found on most assault rifles. However, I'm not sure the G11 has either: all the pictures of the barrel show it as being completely smooth up to the muzzle -- this is probably because the barrel has to be able to move freely back and forth. Because of the design, the G11 might actually have a more easily identifiable muzzle flash than many other assault rifles.

QUOTE (Thorncrow)
Also in the SR concept I could see chemical improvements to caseless ammo significantly reducing muzzle flash.

I suppose so, yes -- though any such improvements will be of equal use in cased ammunition. My knowledge of chemistry is limited at best, so I cannot claim it impossible that propellants which do not emit much light when burning could be developed.
Thorncrow
Having fired my fair share of assault weapons and heavy weapons you can see the muzzle flash pretty clearly in daylight. And most flash suppressors are more for recoil comspensation than anything, as they cause the waste gas to disperse over a wider area instead of straight out of the barrel. But anyway, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
blakkie
It can be harder for the flash to get captured on camera than with the naked eye.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Thorncrow)
Having fired my fair share of assault weapons and heavy weapons you can see the muzzle flash pretty clearly in daylight.

Agreed. But as blakkie pointed out (though with quite an understatement), getting that muzzle flash on film is far from easy. And I would think it'd be much more difficult to spot muzzle flashes of enemies firing at a distance in good light, even if you always see your own muzzle flash at noon on a sunny day.

QUOTE (Thorncrow)
And most flash suppressors are more for recoil comspensation than anything, as they cause the waste gas to disperse over a wider area instead of straight out of the barrel.

They do that too, at least the birdcage types do, but even if they'd be useless for reducing recoil they'd still be put on there to suppress the muzzle flash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012