Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ares Slivergun - Variations on a Theme
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TheQuestionMan
The Ares Slivergun has always been one of the more interesting Firearms in Shadowrun. Everyone visualizes it differently and interprets it in another way. I have always thought of it as a Needle Pistol. The ammunition as a block of ceramic/composite plastics that are shaved off and hurled with great velocity. Doing Flechette Damage to all Targets.

My players took this one step further and engineered and developed a few creative variations.

Chemical Rounds - Using a Frozen Ammunition with DMSO Cocktails or Frozen Holy Water or Garlic Water.

Splinter Rounds - Wooden Flechettes for those pesky HVHMM carriers.

Tracking Rounds - A Tracking Flechette Electronic/Chemical/etc...

What do you think I should do?

QM
northern lights
have them role their apporpriate skill to create them, such as chemical engineering.

having a contact to do that should be very difficult. they'll need to foot the r&d costs, etc.

good theory, encourage it, just make it tkae a while for it to implement in gameplay.
Arethusa
Just. Make it. Fucking. Stop.
Nyxll
if you are using frozen rounds, how are you going to keep the frozen? mega compressed nitrogen catridges? batteries?

you will need chem tests, engineering b/r, firearms b/r

if you are firing these off, remember that air friction will warm the frozen matterial, wood is much lighter, and brittle than lead

flechette trace rounds? if you wish, but your chars will have to clean the weapon religiously. you are going to need a phosphorus and firearms b/r for this as well

btw holywater and garlic do not affect vampires.
Arethusa
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (TheQuestionMan)
I have always thought of it as a Needle Pistol. The ammunition as a block of ceramic/composite plastics that are shaved off and hurled with great velocity.

Too bad canon says it uses the same ammo as an Ares Predator.
Arethusa
Bearclaw
The Myth Busters proved that the "ice bullet" doesn't work.
ophanimx
The Mythbusters also only spent a day on it and recieved a response from the US Goverment that all information, research, and technology relating to an "ice bullet" and other such disappearing ammo was classified and not subject to the freedom of information act because it was deemed either vital to national security or was seeing actual use.

That said, there are probably better ways to achieve a similiar result. A bullet that simply shatters while inside the body pretty much destroys the chance for forensics work, right?
Dog
Depends on how small the fragments. They'd have to be pretty damn small to be missed by a serious forensics team. Or are you talking about IDing the gun it came from? Easier ways to avoid that that with a disappearing bullet.
ShadowDragon8685
Maybe you want a dissapearing bullet to completely freak over any possible remote chance that ritual sorcerery can be used to track it back to the person who discharged it?
Dog
I'll bet Mythbusters never though of that! biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (ophanimx)
The Mythbusters also only spent a day on it and recieved a response from the US Goverment that all information, research, and technology relating to an "ice bullet" and other such disappearing ammo was classified and not subject to the freedom of information act because it was deemed either vital to national security or was seeing actual use.

That said, there are probably better ways to achieve a similiar result. A bullet that simply shatters while inside the body pretty much destroys the chance for forensics work, right?

well in said mythbusters episodes there was some talk about a liquid filled bullet. if it hit inside the skull the physics involved would jetison the liquid and any remaining parts of the bullet out of the cavity again.

but that was just a simulated result.

as the episodes showed (they made a follow up as people complained about the freezing prosess used, liquid nitogen or something similar), frozen bullets basicly cant survive the hot gasses needed to fire a bullet.

and if your not going to use hot gasses then your talking about a bb-gun. and a assasination based on a bb-gun in an umbrella was done in the cold war. the pellet fired however was basicly a kind of narcoject nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Actually, hobgoblin, it is quite possible to make a weapon with compressed air powerful enough to slay. They were doing this around the time of the Lewis and Clark expedition. I'm sure by 2060, the technology has been revived in some form or another.
hobgoblin
sure its possible. hell, a bb gun can kill if your within range and aim for the right place nyahnyah.gif

question is, will it be practical compared to a normal handgun.

and most likely you will still have to be closer to the target then you need to be with a normal rifle+scope.

no way in hell if you can make a compressed gas powered weapon be effective at those ranges.

and if you need to get close to a target, there are better ways of killing then a firearm anyways.
hyzmarca
Actually, modern bb guns are powerful enough to slay. The problem is that the bbs are very small and they don;t deform. They'll penetrate flesh but the wound cavities they produce are so small they are unlikely to be fatal. There are, of course, cases of lucky shots that sever arteries.
Arethusa
Modern bb guns won't penetrate much. I'd consider two inches of soft tissue penetration exceedingly generous.
Raygun
ShadowDragon8685
Hobgoblin, you are incorrect.

http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

That air gun had enough power for 40 or so shots, though probably only 10 or so at full power. It was quite powerful - the report I heard was that the woman was killed, not injured. (Lewis loaned his rifle to a skeptical man who fired negligently in the vicinity of a crowd.)

Combine this with a dissapearing bullet, and you've got rather a nice little sniper's weapons. They are supposed to be quite silent, and obviously have no muzzle flash.
toturi
QUOTE (Raygun)

Teh Gun God hath spoken. Stop now before he perforate ye.
Arethusa
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

That air gun had enough power for 40 or so shots, though probably only 10 or so at full power. It was quite powerful - the report I heard was that the woman was killed, not injured. (Lewis loaned his rifle to a skeptical man who fired negligently in the vicinity of a crowd.)

Combine this with a dissapearing bullet, and you've got rather a nice little sniper's weapons. They are supposed to be quite silent, and obviously have no muzzle flash.

Uhm, what? Rapidly expanding gas under high pressure is going to be noisy as hell, whether that's compressed air or the resuolt of rapidly burning flakes of nitrocellulose.
Raygun
What Arethusa said. A charge powerful enough to anchor deer-sized game with a .54" lead ball at, say 50 yards, is going to be pretty noticeable at that range. Perhaps not as loud as a normal black power charge for the day, but likely much louder than a pneumatic nail gun, for example. Relatively quiet. Not "quite quiet".
ShadowDragon8685
In a noisy city, you'll almost never hear that report, as opposed to, say, a typical sniper's minicannon.
Raygun
There's no way you can make a statement that absolute. Sorry. City noise will make a difference and in some cases mask loud sounds completely, but you can't just say "noisy" and "city" and "almost never hear it".

I think that in an urban environment, you'd be much more likely to hear it just fine so long as you were within a couple hundred yards of it and there wasn't much but air between your ear and the muzzle blast (and by that I mean not many coming from inside of a building while you were on the outside, or a lot of other particularly large things to reflect sound waves away from you). You'd just mistake it for something much more mundane. Much the same way you're likely to perceive a single suppressed gunshot from a conventional (subsonic) firearm.
eidolon
I own an airgun that fires liquid filled projectiles. Also, it's so damn quiet that the target doesn't hear anything but the "smack" of the liquid filled projectile striking them, and all the firer hears is a light "click" when the bolt slides back open and a quiet intermittant whirring sound of the loading system when firing rapidly.

Clyde
Can you give us the make and model of that airgun?
Raygun
QUOTE (eidolon)
I own an airgun that fires liquid filled projectiles. Also, it's so damn quiet that the target doesn't hear anything but the "smack" of the liquid filled projectile striking them, and all the firer hears is a light "click" when the bolt slides back open and a quiet intermittant whirring sound of the loading system when firing rapidly.

Good luck delivering anything but a superficial wound with your paintball gun (given you're not jamming the muzzle in someone's eye).
Kagetenshi
If you made it pointy you could do something.

Granted it'd be a weak something, but you should never underestimate the power of pointy things.

~J
Tziluthi
QUOTE (eidolon)

Paintball gun, you mean. Stop confusing me, or I'll start crying.
Nyxll
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (TheQuestionMan @ Sep 8 2005, 01:02 PM)
I have always thought of it as a Needle Pistol. The ammunition as a block of ceramic/composite plastics that are shaved off and hurled with great velocity.

Where does it say that?

In BBB it says,
This pistol fires flechette ammunition (which is already factored into its Damage Code). It has the range of a heavy pistol and features a built in silencer.

It holds twice the ammo, and has a better concealment rating. I remember hearing about the ceramic disk that shaves off needles before. I am most certainly sure that it doesn't use standard HP flechette rounds.
Nyxll
QUOTE (Clyde)
Can you give us the make and model of that airgun?

Any electric airsoft gun will be almost silent. There is some minor clicking.
Austere Emancipator
Electric airsoft guns are an order of magnitude less powerful than BB guns. At the high end we're talking about something like a 4.5 grain projectile launched at 450fps, 2.02ft-lbs at the muzzle, while 3.1gr @ 300fps = 0.62ft-lbs is more common. Many mid-price airguns can easily manage an 8gr projectile at 850fps, 12.84ft-lbs, while more powerful ones can fire 14gr pellets at 1300fps, 52.55ft-lbs. As far as I can figure, paintball guns can generally be expected to launch a 45gr ball at 280fps, 7.84ft-lbs.
nezumi
To get back to the topic at hand, I can't imagine the splinter rounds working too well (I believe they've been mentioned elsewhere). There are an assortment of problems with shooting with something like that. You're better off with a crossbow. Can't say much on the ice rounds.

However, the tracker rounds would make sense, assuming the bullet is big enough and the electronics pricey. It wouldn't have much range, though, and odds are against it working once it hit something (bullets tend to deform and break). But if you're lucky... I suppose one could decrease the muzzle velocity by cutting down onn the amount of cordite in the bullet, which would in turn give you more space for the equipment and cause less damage to the bullet, but penetration would be bad and it would be ungood at longer ranges (presumably its lighter and has less force behind it, so its more at the whims of other factors).

But I haven't had enough experience to say that's more than just a semi-informed opinion.
Arethusa
Cordite hasn't been used for over 50 years.
BitBasher
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and if your not going to use hot gasses then your talking about a bb-gun. and a assasination based on a bb-gun in an umbrella was done in the cold war. the pellet fired however was basicly a kind of narcoject nyahnyah.gif

Dude, the pellet fired in that instance contained Ricin. One of the deadliest compounds known. That's what killed the target, not the BB.
Arethusa
I believe that's why he referred to it as 'a kind of narcojet.'
nezumi
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Cordite hasn't been used for over 50 years.

Would you believe it's because I'm running a 1920's gangster game?

Actually, doing a quick search on Wikipedia shows guns currently use Cordite N. Is this incorrect?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

the lady was shot at what? 40 yards? yes a airgun can be deadly at that close a range.

but at that range i may well use a handgun as its much easy to conseal so that i can get so close to the target.

a nice rifle on the other hand i can be up on some roof several 100 yards away and still be deadly, no matter where i hit the person.

allso, there is no talk about the woman instantly dieing from said wound. by the text it sounds like a cut that didnt even penetrate the skull. the lady may as well have died from some internal bleeding inside the skull or maybe some infection of the wound.

allso, the same text talks about the owner himself being shot in the buttocks by the same gun. no range given tho. thing is that he didnt get so much hurt that he wasnt able to arm himself with anything within range.

and i think ill follow rayguns request on this now nyahnyah.gif

allso, yes. i was fully aware that the pellet was used to deliver ricin. and thats why i called it a kind of narcoject.
Raygun
QUOTE (nezumi)
Actually, doing a quick search on Wikipedia shows guns currently use Cordite N. Is this incorrect?

Cordite N is used for medium and large caliber (naval artillery) munitions, not small arms. It's a triple-base propellant. Since there are cheaper ways of making more efficient propellants (single and double-based powders) and considering the way it's extruded (makes it difficult to pack a case efficiently), Cordite N generally isn't used as a propellant for small arms munitions. I'm pretty sure the UK is the only nation still using Cordite N in quantity.

When you hear someone on TV talking about "smelling the cordite" in relation to small arms (for example, one of the crime scene investigators in Collateral) it's pretty much a case of the writer attepting to write something gun-sounding without generalizing as much as saying "gunpowder". Cordite is just one kind of propellant, and one that is not widely used at that.
nezumi
So what is the term used now? Gunpowder? I thought gunpowder referred to black powder, which we were way past.

(And I have to say yay that I'm not COMPLETELY wrong, just wrong in most cases)
Slump
I believe we're still on Smokeless Powder (so named because of the distinct lack of a choking black cloud when you fire)
hahnsoo
*shrugs* Why not just propellant?
Raygun
"Gunpowder" pretty much covers everything we use in small arms these days, both black powder, and more commonly, smokeless (nitrocellulose-based) powders. Cordite is a nitrocellulose-based propellant, but it is not made in powder (granular) form, rather it is extruded in long rods or cords cut to specific lengths, hence "Cordite".

This picture shows a sectioned round with cordite propellant inside (13.9x99B = .55 Boys). Compare to the others.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Nyxll)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Sep 8 2005, 06:51 PM)

Where does it say that?

On page 279, where it says all weapons of one class use the same ammo.
toturi
QUOTE (Voorhees)

The weapon description on p 277 doesn't count as canon as well?
Fresno Bob
All it says on that page is that it fires flechette ammunition, which you can get for an Ares Predator.
toturi
Does that mean that if my Ares Predator is using EX-EX and my opponent's Manhunter is using APDS, one of our ammo must magically change into the other? biggrin.gif
Fresno Bob
No. What it does mean, however, is you can take the flechette ammo that you loaded into your AVS and put it into an Ares Predator.
Nyxll
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Sep 9 2005, 05:03 AM)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Sep 8 2005, 06:51 PM)

Where does it say that?

I remember in one edition or source book that it stated, the silvergun had its own ammo type. It explained some kind of ceramic wheel. It might say that as a blanket rule, but there are some exceptions. The slivergun is an exception.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Nyxll)
I remember in one edition or source book that it stated, the silvergun had its own ammo type. It explained some kind of ceramic wheel. It might say that as a blanket rule, but there are some exceptions. The slivergun is an exception.

Yup, along with the Raecor Sting and the Barret Sniper Rifle. Too bad the writers of SR3 failed to make that distinction with the Viper Slivergun in the Core rulebook. I guess everyone overlooks something along the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012