Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Helper
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
Ok, in the spirit of trying to understand the game better, I tried to make a character helper(like my rigger tool) Its in excel so you need it to use it. Feel free to mod it, change it, do whatever to it. Just don't tell me it sucks or you could do better. I know it sucks, and if you can do a better job then do it.

This is not a character generator, it is a helper. It keeps track of your bp and such. You still have to know what the stuff means.

Oh yeah, because I don't know how to tell excel to add 25 pts instead of 10 for the last attribute point it breaks if you get a 6. Your going to have to add the 15 points manually. I'll keep working on it, but if anyone improves it, please post it here so I can see what you did.

Currently there is a sample mage I am working on, name is Sundown.

Shadow Character Helper (beta) in Excel
Wasabi
In cell G20 put this formula:

=IF(C20=6,15+SUM(C20)*10-(10),SUM(C20)*10-(10))

then you can 'fill' the formula to the other stats to populate those fields.
Lastly, have your total add G11:G18 and have another total for the other attributes. (Since they aren't capped at 200BP)

Thanks for making the helper sheet, Chummer! :-)
Shadow
Wow, you can do that? Awesome.
Serbitar
Here is another one. Though, completley house ruled with these rules. So no SR4 BP vanilla.
But maybe you can use some 1337 excel tricks I pulled off.
Autarkis
You seem to be helpful, Serbitar. But why do you post your character generator in every thread. biggrin.gif

Just kidding.
Serbitar
Damn, Ive been caught.
Autarkis
Is it part of your plan for world domination. eek.gif
Serbitar
SR4 first, and then the rest of the world.
Muahahahah, bow down mortal ! *turns into a Golden Dragon and flies away*
Shadow
Okay, Autarkis did a fantastic job on a much better char gen then my piece of crap. Unfortunately he had no where to host it. So I am going to host it for him smile.gif

Enjoy his awesome work.

SR$ char gen
blakkie
Technomancer is free! cyber.gif

EDIT: Other than that and that i can't figure out how to make skill groups, cool.
Autarkis
Look under Edges (I know...I should have used "Positive Qualities") for the Technomancer BP (same for Adept, Mage, and Mystic Adapt.)

And the Skill Groups are listed alphabetically in the drop down, then followed by Skills (I couldn't figure a really good way to toggle, thats why there is the column that add SK or GS. So the first Skill Group is Athletics, but if you scroll down more, you will see Gymnastics lower in the list.
nuyen.gif
blakkie
I looked there first because i didn't notice it at the top at first. It's free down there too. Adept and Mage aren't there, but then again i like them being at the top in a separate dropdown because they are mutually exclusive from each other.

Ok, found the SG. I think it would be cool if they were marked SG at the front so they were sorted out.

P.S. Yes you are a baaad boy using SR3 Edge & Flaw terminology. nyahnyah.gif
Autarkis
I know. Well...I sent this to my gaming team, so once I hear there feedback from what is broken, I will make fixes (including the Technomancer BPs).

And its habit...like Deckers...DECKERS!
Crusher Bob
For max stats, the way I did it was make a table by race of max stat, and then vlookup the race to get the max stat for a particular attribute.

Then the formula for stat BP costs is

IF(non modified stat<1,"Stat too low",IF(non modified stat>max stat,"Stat Too High",IF(non modified stat<>max stat,(non modified stat-1)*10,(non modified stat-2)*10+25)))

Also, it's worth tracking the skills actually in the groups, and zeroing out the costs of those skills, so you don't end up paying points for a skill that you also have in a skill group.

It's also a useful addition to track the linked stat of every skill, and calculate the pools for each skill.
morlock76
That Chargen is very nice work indeed, I just realized (pretty quick) that I had to adapt some pieces of the cyberware section though.

Recommendations:
Make Capacity a seperate collum as you need it for "vanilla" Cyberware in Limbs, too. Example: Commlink, Essence .2 or Capacity 2

Move the Cybereye / ear Section over to the Limbs as you can work better with Capacity then, too.

I am trying to implement this at the moment, I am not sure if my Excel uberness is sufficient though, specially as I should be learning :-/

@ Crusher Bob: I really should find the time to finish the Smuggler v.2 and Gunslinger Adept v.2, too frown.gif

Too much work, too little time ... *volunteers for Sleep Regulator*
blakkie
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Sep 8 2005, 07:10 PM)
Also, it's worth tracking the skills actually in the groups, and zeroing out the costs of those skills, so you don't end up paying points for a skill that you also have in a skill group.

Maybe that should be visually flagged instead? It is illegal to have a skill group + a skill from the group at different levels. Some sort of visual clue seems a good idea. It would help incase you forgot you had the group for the skill.
Even if you actually allow the skill and the skill group to be both there as a shorthand notation, that is calculating the BP wrong, when you are representing a skill group that was broken up post-chargen.

EDIT: Or do you mean zero out the cost of the points of the skill at and below that of the group? Not sure that is nessasary since it is already illegal for chargen, and total accuracy in BP doesn't mean nearly as much post-chargen.

It's also a useful addition to track the linked stat of every skill, and calculate the pools for each skill.

Very much agreed. That'll take a bit of layout work though on top of the backend calculations, and he's kinda wide on the page already. Maybe making up the room by splitting the C column and shortening the Active Skill name. The longest name Exotic Ranged Weapon has lots of room to spare.

Even if in the future, Shadow, if you allow overriding the Skill name text enter the weapon name you could instead change that choice to the abbreviated Exotic Ranged (weapon) where the user would replace 'weapon' with the specific name. That should keep it short enough to fit in a similar space.

P.S. Given the height vs. width of the page there should be more than enough room to add a few extra Skill slots. There are lots of active skills, and you might see a lot used for high BP chargens (for say NPCs or a PC you are trying to mesh with an existing powerful team).
bluedragon7
Maybe you can make an extra sheet for bioware, makes it easier to calculate, which essence-cost is halved.

otherwise its a good helper
blakkie
QUOTE (bluedragon7)
Maybe you can make an extra sheet for bioware, makes it easier to calculate, which essence-cost is halved.

otherwise its a good helper

I thought the halving depended on which you had more of?
bluedragon7
Yes, this is how it works:

I copied the Cyberwaresheet
renamed it Bioware
deleted Bioware!B23 to Bioware!F23
edit Race,Attributes, and Skills!J14 to
=If(Cyberware!D24>Bioware!D24;6-Cyberware!D24-(Bioware!D24/2);6-Bioware!D24-(Cyberware!D24/2))

that will calculate your Essence correct (and you have more space for your ware wink.gif)

but i couldnt edit the dropdown menus to only show Bioware on the Bioware Tab
(@Autarkis: how did you make those menus? They dont seem to be Combo Boxes, no Format Control possible)
Autarkis
It is under Data=> Validation. Then under Settings, set Allow: to List and in the Data section type in "=Data_List".

Now, Data_List is defined by highlighting a column of information you want to put in there and once this section is highlighted right above A1 and to the left of the function box is a blank box (should read R1C1 if you are clicked on A1). Once you highlight this section, type the name of the data list (and use "_" for spaces) and there ya go.
blakkie
BTW i'm trying to figure out how to view "Sheet1" where all the list data is stored. It is somehow hidden (or the data cached?) so i can't get at that sheet, and i don't remember how to unhide hidden sheets (hidden workbooks no problem).
bluedragon7
Format->Sheet->Unhide

that Validate trick worked btw, thx
Oracle
QUOTE (Shadow)
Okay, Autarkis did a fantastic job [...]

Indeed, he did. But can anyone tell me, what kind of a language 'Germanic" is? eek.gif
blakkie
I believe that is a group that includes languages like Norwegian, Danish, German of course, i think Dutch. Basically all the languages that evolved primarily from Germanic, except for English (making some sense since English has a large percentage of words from other sources).

I believe language groups started being used as Language Skills to reduce the dilution of Lang Skill points over the enormous number of languages.

P.S. Not sure if Yiddish is in there or not, since a strong exterior influence too.
Elldren
QUOTE (blakkie)
I believe that is a group that includes languages like Norwegian, Danish, German of course, i think Dutch. Basically all the languages that evolved primarily from Germanic, except for English (making some sense since English has a large percentage of words from other sources).

I believe language groups started being used as Language Skills to reduce the dilution of Lang Skill points over the enormous number of languages.

P.S. Not sure if Yiddish is in there or not, since a strong exterior influence too.

Except that is completely unrealistic, yet still doesn't have any real impact on gameplay. Plus it's highly exploitable. I can see the language munchkins now...

GM: What's your native language again?
Munch: Indo-European
GM: Huh?
Munch: You know, Persian, German, Italian, Albanian. It's a language group. We are using language groups, right?
Rotbart van Dainig
SR4 does not use Skill Groups of Languages. wink.gif
blakkie
Is Indo-European on the list? No? Next.
Autarkis
Yeah...the Knowledge and Languages I got from an old list. I haven't updated them....=P (I got them from NSRGC)
Ecclesiastes
You missed a few though. Spanish isn't there.
Elldren
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes @ Sep 14 2005, 07:05 PM)
You missed a few though.  Spanish isn't there.

Sure it is. It's Italic, along with French, Romansch, Portuguese, Italian and Catalan nyahnyah.gif

[edit] on a more serious note, I found it much much easier to simply un-list the language boxes, as there are potentially more than 7,000 different languages that a player could know, and listing even the top 5% with >1 million speakers would be a pain in the ass data-entry wise and be mostly useless, seeing as the major spoken languages in a game should be outlined in the beginning by the GM, and may include a number that wouldn't be on that list, or be completely made up.
blakkie
Ya, they should figure out a way to shorten the list but still have it cover lots and lots of languages. Maybe if you could learn a family of related languages per skill? talker.gif spin.gif rotfl.gif wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012