Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No surrender!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Talia Invierno
You can't win, but there are alternatives to fighting.

But in Shadowrun, are there? Always? Is there an active desire among some or most players for Shadowrun situations to be created such that the player can resolve all situations Wolf-style? ("Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies.") From another thread:
As for the whole "never surrender" deal - that's a tougher issue. Is it a player attitude or a character attitude? If it's just Dante that thinks that way, then you're free to open fire in game should you choose. Players can be surprisingly resourceful. If it's the player who figures he should never surrender, maybe because he wants to always win, then you have worse problems. You might want to speak to him individually, preferably in a non-confrontational fashion.
- Clyde

Are you yourself a "no surrender" player? Do you frequently tend to play "no surrender" characters? Have you had this kind of experience with your own group, or with a specific player or character?

Is "no surrender" unique to specific characters, or have you found that one or more players tend consistently to play these kinds of characters? Why do players choose to play Shadowrun with a "no surrender" attitude? Is it something isolated to a gaming environment, an escapist reaction to real life issues, a translation of the player's real life weltanschauung (ie. the way things "should" be)?

Edit: per Clyde's
I've found that the "no surrender" mentality tends to run to players, more than characters. It's kind of a gray area, though, because a no surrender player will make characters who have that ethos.

and The Grifter's later (3rd page)
Absolutely, positively, never surrender.  ... What have you got to lose? A character sheet. That's it.

is "no surrender" a form of metagaming?

Does this kind of attitude enhance or detract from the group and/or individual Shadowrun experience? Is it to be encouraged, discouraged, or just plain lived with?

How is a GM to deal with "no surrender" players or characters?

[And another edit, to remind participants in this thread that a proportionately small number of SR interactive situations involve Lone Star.]
DocMortand
Personally, you either have to either stack the deck and hammer, or (probably better) skew runs so that it's not a "no-win" scenario - their objective must be fluid, not static.

I.E. Common types:
A - The runners have to move objective A to objective B ("Transporter" type)
B - Stealth is a requirement - if you're discovered, no money ("Stealth" type)
C - Rescue the princess from the evil cult style ("Rescue" type)

etc. etc.

Either break the player out of that mentality, or if it's the character role-playing, then tailor the runs so the player can use it to the hilt. After all, this IS for the enjoyment of the players, otherwise you're not a GM for long (or have masochistic players...in which case it still is for the "enjoyment" of the players)
Kagetenshi
If they are "no surrender" they die in a situation where they need to surrender to survive. Nothing more or less to it than that.

That being said, the question is "what is being surrendered to"? My current character is absolutely no-surrender when it comes to the Star, because if she goes up the river her 'ware (VCR-3 plus all the toys) is coming out and her gear is getting confiscated, any that is within reach. If she gets caught her life is over anyway, so there's no incentive to trade incarceration for death.

There are always alternatives to fighting, but frequently by the time the fighting is about to start the alternatives have long passed. This is life.

~J
Grinder
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If they are "no surrender" they die in a situation where they need to surrender to survive. Nothing more or less to it than that.

That's the way i handle it since i'm a more experienced GM. It was kinda hard to kill a character who continued to fight against an overwhelming force for the first time, but i felt it was nessesary. I always try to give the characters a fair chance to flee a fight or, if they get caught, the possibility to escape the prison in one way or another without being completely fucked (like magic been burn out, expensive cyber destroyed - i never did that to a char and certainly won't do).
Lucifer
I have played as 'die-hard' type characters before. All but one of them has died; the one that didn't die was kept alive purely by GM fiat and intervention on the part of other characters, after I put him in a situation where I expected him to die (I can't say I was so much upset by this as helplessly amused).

You just have to make sure the player accepts that there are one of two potential outcomes when playing a character of this type:

A) The character will die. The player will probably be alright with this, and may even find it desireable, as long as the character's death is somehow meaningful. If he goes out holding off the Banded so the rest of the group can escape, or drags a major campaign badguy down to Hell with him, then he'll probably find it a lot easier to accept.

B) The character will retire. A die-hard character can only accomplish so many feats before his characters make the move from 'astounding' to 'not even slightly credible'. The best way to ensure this is to have the player build the character with an overriding motivation; revenge against the campaign's main enemy (a Mafia boss, Deus, Oscuro, the Fuchi corporation, etc.), rescuing a family member or friend from said enemy, achieving a certain amount of nuyen for whatever reason, etc. As long as he has a clear and defined goal and no reason to go on running - much less as such a stubborn, bull-headed maniac - after it's accomplished, then eventually he can be traded off for a more reasonable character.

You also have to figure out exactly what the character (or possibly the player's) limitations are. Will he never run away from a fight, or does he consider it acceptable to withdraw if the battle doesn't involve him? Will he avoid unnecessary combat if given the option? Will he fall back on the condition that he gets another crack at the enemy/objective under more favorable conditions.

There's a fine line between a 'never-say-die' attitude and being a completely psychotic, homocidal lackwit. A character who feels he has to fight everyone who poses any sort of threat, and won't quit the fight until everyone else is dead, is very different from a character who simply won't allow himself to be taken prisoner by the enemy.

The former type may very well be unplayable in most or all games. The latter type isn't even very unreasonable, I'm sure we've all heard Vietnam war stories of soldiers 'saving the last grenade for themselves'. If you're going to write a situation where the characters have to be captured, I'd strongly suggest going at them with some non-lethal weapons instead of trying to talk them into surrender; stunguns and gas grenades can be much more effective than harsh language.
northern lights
my group has a pair of players (one of whom is gone now, but it applies to both) who were really hard asses about it.

if given any options but what they wanted, they would revolt. failure was not an option to these players, despite a number of different characters. any time the run went a way they thought it shouldn't or they were presented choices that required them to sacrifice A for B, it came out in confrontational and petulant behavior at the table.

they are both my friends, and as such i tried to figure a way to make it work, but always it came down to them ridiculing my runs as "stupid, dumb, retarded, etc."

in the end, one of them moved and the other is subjected to fitting runs only. when i want a run where i am going to put a twist in the job's objectives or require that they make a choice to surrender something in order to gain something more, i leave that player uninvited.

one was playing to let of steam and escape everyday frustrations, the other played with the attitude that his way was the way things worked, and would routinely memorize source material that supported his ways then conveniently feign ignorance of non supportive source material and label it as stupid.

sucks, makes it hard to have fun.
Siege
I think Kage summed it up best - surrender is a matter of consequence.

Would I surrender to the US military forces? Sure.

Would I surrender to North Korean forces? Oh hell no.

In SR terms, as a runner I'd have difficulty surrendering to any force considering the potential nastiness in store for me. Being caught by the 'Star would probably be the least of my worries - any other major corp might have some inspired ways to recoup their losses.

-Siege
Clyde
I've found that the "no surrender" mentality tends to run to players, more than characters. It's kind of a gray area, though, because a no surrender player will make characters who have that ethos.

From the GM perspective, this attitude can be a slight problem because you can't count on the player making a "rational" choice to stay alive. It basically closes certain plot ticks. However, I think the attitude is dangerous. An RPG generally isn't played to "win" but you can set your own victory conditions if you are so inclined. Thus, a player might decide he's won the game if his character survives intact, gains money and power, and accomplishes the run. The player might decide he's lost the game if his character loses stats or powers or unique gear or fails at a run.

The "artificial victory conditions" attitude frequently comes out of the same guys. The one's who'd rather roll up a new character than live with a mage who lost Magic due to a deadly wound, etc.

As for a solution - you've just got to be willing to kill characters. Shadowrun is a deadly game, because it depicts a deadly world. Once these guys have seen that characters can die and the game goes on being fun (because when you lose your old character you get a brand new one) then maybe they'll change a little bit.
Dawnshadow
Player view..

Four different characters of mine.

First: Metalhead. Coldblooded, professional. He will not surrender except under unusual circumstances -- but he will back away, withdraw, and so on.. but only if it's apparent that he can't win. Unless of course his girlfriend has been hurt. Then he will kill the one who hurt her, even at the cost of his own life. So far -- he's just killed them.

His prefered ways of death, in order: Old age. Killing the person who killed him. Making it possible for someone else to accomplish the mission. 2 and 3 are compatable.

Second: MWA (swordsman). Weird morals. Will negotiate, won't outright surrender. If you aren't willing to compromise, he won't either and someone will die.

Third: Moon Maiden conjurer. Will surrender unless it's going to result in death or worse than death. Will fight to the death to avoid becoming toxic/helping poison the world/inflicting tremendous harm. Very strong wiccan flavour -- "An ye harm none, do what ye will. An ye harm one, do as ye must". With a strong hint of "What goes around comes around. Sometimes I'm what's coming around" -- typically when it involves attempts to kill her.

Fourth: Huntsman Shaman. Might surrender if she hasn't gone berserk. Depends on circumstances -- if it will put her sister in more danger for her to surrender, then she'll go down fighting.

Now, as for the actual questions from Talia..
Most situations should be resolveable wolf-style, to my mind, unless the PCs have been able to figure out the other ways reliably. If the PCs can't figure out the ways, then resorting to violence should be an option -- maybe not the best, but it should work.

Personally, "no surrender" is a mix. I don't have a strong believe against surrender, but I do have firm beliefs that some things are worth dying for even the chance to accomplish. "Needs of the many" and so on.

As for how it affects the gaming experience? Well, it depends on the characters and group. If it's not rabidly out of control, I think it really adds to it. In fact, having characters that always surrender, I think, can be more detrimental then characters who don't surrender. I find it stretches the bounds of belief for me -- I have more trouble envisioning large numbers of people who have nothing they're willing to die for then people who are willing to die for something -- but that's personal opinion, because, well, I have trouble comprehending, deep down inside, people that aren't willing to fight to the death to protect their children. I know they exist rationally.. but not emotionally. (Note: I'm equating getting beaten unconscious and killed for the purposes of this, because effectively they are the same)
Deamon_Knight
Dawn, where do you put characters that are only in it for themselves/the money. Think Jane Cobb, from Firefly, or really allot of runners I should think. This is a dystopian future, people may not be in this for the ideals. This is why some of my friends refuse to play SR, they don't want to play in a dystopian world, with characters who don't have higher ideals. Not that I agree, its just the perception of the setting.

If the character is living from job to job, needs the nuyen.gif , and values his rep, maybe going out in a blaze of glory his better than failure.
Dawnshadow
Actually, strangely enough, that hasn't really come up in over a year.. I'd forgotten those characters.

Mostly it's the group style.. we're into big, world-altering plots.. hardly get paid (and most of what we do get paid goes to surviving the forces who want to kill us) and tend to tick off powerful people. Usually by interfering in carefully laid plans. Doesn't actually matter if we're playing heros or anti-heros or just people caught in the mess -- it's "stop them or die" overall (though not in the individual sections all the time).

Although, the more I think about it, the more I think that the motivation has VERY little to do with the characters in my group -- the huntsman shaman is mostly in it for the money.. it's just, the reason she needs the money is the sister she's trying to keep out of it. The conjurer doesn't know why she's in it -- she's got amnesia, but she can't get out of it. The others just "belong" there.. or so they think and feel.

I can't think of any character that's actually running because of his/her ideals -- but a lot that the ideals make a tremendous impact on how they run. Even the ones who are solely in it for themselves. Some it might be practical morals "can't shoot the team, no one will work with me". Some it's ethics "don't kill unless you have to". Doesn't make a practical difference. Some .. well.. the metalhead's higher ideals are twofold: hates leaving someone behind. Does almost anything for his girlfriend. We haven't actually found the limit -- although we're pretty sure that he will kill anyone for her. We're not sure if he'd submit to radical traumatic surgery/torture/eventual execution, although he has submitted to crazy mage rituals.
Shadow
I think your asking the wrong question. When faced with a 'no win situation' is there a reason to surrender? Have you (the gm) made it clear that there is a reasonably chance that the players character will survive being caught?

If your fighting the Star (I highly advise against this) then you can expect to spend a long time in the pen. If you killed said Star, then it is unlikely you will even make it to the jail.

If you are fighting a multinational what kind of capture do you expect? More than likely they are going to torture you for information and then kill you. So what is the incentive to surrender?
Kagetenshi
The 'Star doesn't pay its people enough for them to care about the rest of the 'Star's people.

~J
Sicarius
I think that the nature of Shadowrunning is such, that characters have a very reasonable expectation that the results of capture are worse than death. Especially if they are Sin-less.

Despite that logic, I think the No Surrender is a player-attitude, which is probably a reflection of the view from a majority of players that characters should be "heroic." I would think meta-gaming would induce surrender, since most PLAYERS would know that a GM (decent GM) will be providing some opportunities to escape, but that's not what happens, which leads me to believe that its something beyond logic. Perhaps a deep running philosophical ideal that "surrender" is "unheroic."
Mercer
That and players tend to have a "never-say-die" attitude that says keep rolling to you hit Deadly. Nobody likes to "lose" and they'll keep going figuring they're bound to roll that 37 they need to get away.

But I think thats a thought process that comes out of playing it like you're a character in a game. Balls out until you die and then either make a new character or restart the level or your last save point, whichever is easier. As a player, when I approach things from the perspective of my character, who thinks he's like, a real person or something, then I am much more likely to run, surrender, or try to come up with solutions that minimize my dieability.

But this is almost an unconscious switch between looking through your character's eyes and looking down at the battlemat with the player's eyes. Something I've been noticing lately is how players aren't always aware that their perspective changes between the P and the C.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The 'Star doesn't pay its people enough for them to care about the rest of the 'Star's people.

I disagree with this. Police work attracts a certain type (or types) of people. The 'cop mentality' won't disappear just because the police force is privatized.

Besides that, cops aren't paid all that much nowadays, but still manage to get worked up when someone kills 'one of their own'.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 12 2005, 03:46 PM)

I disagree with this. Police work attracts a certain type (or types) of people. The 'cop mentality' won't disappear just because the police force is privatized.

Besides that, cops aren't paid all that much nowadays, but still manage to get worked up when someone kills 'one of their own'.

I believe the Lone Star sourcebook quotes average pay for a L-S thug as ¥20,000 a year. If you do the math you'll find that that's significantly less than needed to pay for a Middle lifestyle, and when SR4 comes around it won't be enough for a Low.

~J
BitBasher
QUOTE (Fortune)

Cops now days are paid more than you think. Certainly where I live.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 12 2005, 06:41 AM)

I believe the Lone Star sourcebook quotes average pay for a L-S thug as ¥20,000 a year. If you do the math you'll find that that's significantly less than needed to pay for a Middle lifestyle, and when SR4 comes around it won't be enough for a Low.

~J

There's gotta be something we're missing, then.

NOBODY puts his life on the line going up against scummers like us, not to mention the daily grind of police work, for so little money that they're probably the starting Shadowrunner's neighbor.

Is it possible that the 20K listed is above and beyond Lone-Star provided housing, meals, etcetera?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 12 2005, 04:41 AM)

Cops now days are paid more than you think. Certainly where I live.

Where I live cops are paid a pittiance by the city while being dangerously overworked. On the other hand, the neighboring county pays handsomly, has a much lower violent crime rate, and has reasonable shifts.

The result is that the rookies woork for the city for only as long as they have to to improve their resumes to the point where the county will hire them. The city police force remains both understaffed and inexperienced due to a near-zero retention rate.

The average LS thug may make 20,000 nuyen a year, but how long will it be before he earns a better position within Lone Star or quits to work for Knight Errant?
ShadowDragon8685
Hyzmarca, where do you live, exactly? Shitsville USA?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
There's gotta be something we're missing, then.

NOBODY puts his life on the line going up against scummers like us, not to mention the daily grind of police work, for so little money that they're probably the starting Shadowrunner's neighbor.

It pays better than the Stuffer Shack or Taco Hell.
The average LS thug may make 20,000 nuyen a year, but how long will it be before he earns a better position within Lone Star or quits to work for Knight Errant?

Based on the canon presentation of Lone Star "officers", a long time.

~J
Fox1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 12 2005, 09:06 AM)

There are two factors that likely result in this not being as bad as it looks.

First, it's possible that the lifestyle costs for shadowrunners is higher than that of your typical citizen. They have things like the need to have traceless transactions, requirements for low profile, black Market 'up charges', etc.

Second, the world may be a bit like today's. Married couples typically have to have both partners work to make ends meet. There are likely fewer married couples in the SR world, but the money pressure could still make roomates or other types of relationships common. The SSG gives costs for two people living together, and it's a significant reduction.

Don't have my books at hand so I can't give the exact number, but with both these factors added 20,000 a year would't be terrible.
Fortune
Regardless of what they are actually paid, my point was that I believe that the 'Star employees would still retain the 'one of our own' mentality when it comes cop-killers.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Hyzmarca, where do you live, exactly? Shitsville USA?

Albany, Georgia. It isn't that bad, it just tends to have a great deal of political stipidity and corruption. For example, recently a number of historic buildings were ocndemed because they were below the flood plane. There had been two major floods in less than a decade so this wasn't unreasonable. Then the city paid to have a hotel, an aquarium, and several other craptastic money sinks built in their place. The result is an overpriced aquarium that no one ever goes to and a hotel that is always empty and that will one day be destroyed by a flood.

Also, a police chief was recently fired because he was hiring new recruits based on their ability to give good blowjobs rather than their ability to pass psycological evaluations. (Incidently, this firing and the resultant change in practices reduced the force size and retention rate even more.)
Fox1
QUOTE (Fortune)
Regardless of what they are actually paid, my point was that I believe that the 'Star employees would still retain the 'one of our own' mentality when it comes cop-killers.

I think that likely.

In addition, the SR setting tends to go out of way to indicate that the Star makes greater use of lethal force for less cause than would be acceptable today. Frankly I doubt many cop killers are taken alive.

Thus the wise shadowrunner doesn't kill cops.

Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 12 2005, 07:44 AM)

I argue that it doesn't make a difference. Cop-work still attracts the same type of people: either idealists who care more about job fufilment than the bottom line, or crooked cops taking kickbacks from everyone and get off on the power of having a badge. Either type of person would not be kind to a cop-killer. The first would kill him to avenge their buddy and make the world a better place. The second because, damn it, noone messes with the Authority.

(Edit) Er, whoops; I read that completely wrong. I guess I'm agreeing with you. sleepy.gif biggrin.gif Pretend that's ShadowDragon8685's post in the quote tags then smile.gif
blakkie
So exactly who can a 'runner surrender to again? I have had D&D characters surrender. But i've never had a 'runner taken alive and concious, and the couple taken unconcious were nolonger playable. This is primarily a function of how the 6th World works, as the rules and descriptions are implemented by GMs.

I have seen an occational runner arrested or taken in for questioning. But those rare cases where when it wasn't clear that they were hosed. Well maybe the one of them, but he was a less experienced player and didn't realize that a piece of ware he had was highly illegal. The GM cut him slack and said it wasn't found, even though the odds of it not being were extremely slim.

So basically to be taken alive in SR usually means the GM has to break rules to have it make sense to do from an IC POV. Some character builds being the exception.

EDIT: Correction. I did have one PC taken unconciously, the whole team was in fact. We were given the "left for dead in the sewers, but we weren't dead because this incredibily skilled foe didn't know how to make sure we were dead" treatment. Ummm, ok. indifferent.gif
Grinder
You had a way too nice GM.
Fox1
QUOTE (blakkie)
So basically to be taken alive in SR usually means the GM has to break rules to have it make sense to do from an IC POV.

Not all SR campaigns are ran with such an approach.

Yes some are ran with the concept of life is cheap and failure is final. Some have a more action-adventure favor where James Bond like plot points (such as being captured by the villian so he can brag about his master plan) wouldn't be out of place.

The SR books and adventures themselves run throughout that range.

The GM and players just have to be on the same page as to what is expected.
blakkie
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 12 2005, 12:47 PM)

That is EXACTLY the attitude that breeds "never surrender". EDIT: Not to say that is a wrong attitude, you just should expect a certain reaction to being in such an environment.

And yes Fox1, SR could be run differently by the GM. But it rarely is it would seem. "Life is cheap" as a prevailing attitude in the game world seems to be ingrained pretty damn deep in the core rules books. Widespread, organized organlegging anyone?
Sabosect
Well, if you really want to be evil, keep in mind that you can always take someone alive. That's what the nonlethal weapons and chemicals are for. "Never give up" doesn't work too well when you're convulsing on the floor unconcious.

Yes, I do encourage my players to try to get out of situations alive, or at least with as many people alive as they can. Still, you guys know my character turnover rate.
Fox1
QUOTE (blakkie)
And yes Fox1, SR could be run differently by the GM. But it rarely is it would seem. "Life is cheap" as a prevailing attitude in the game world seems to be ingrained pretty damn deep in the core rules books. Widespread, organized organlegging anyone?

I've read a number of the books set in the setting, and own all the adventures.

Judging form those, it comes across to me as "life is cheap" for no names who end up with the organleggers- but PCs have stock adventures with all the standard frills.

In short, the dark no-win face-always-in-the dirt SR world is background favor for cool scenes and outlandish exploits.

hyzmarca
It is important to remember that there are more alternatives to "wolf-style" than just unconditional surrender. There are, in order of usefulness, tactical retreat, stratigic withdrawl, negotiated ceasefire, negotiated surrender, and unilateral ceasefire.

Even when victory is unlikely due to overwhealming odds, there are these options. I wouldn't recomend unilateral ceasefire unless you were the aggressor and your enemy istn't the vengfull type. Negotiated ceasefire is the best option if you and your enemies have mutually compatible goals.
When all else fails, a negoiated surrender could be your best bet.

"Hey, guys, you don't want to kill me and I don't want to kill you. More importantly, I don't want you to kill me and you don't want me to kill you. Considering these facts, it might be in our best interests for me to leave you with this trinket that you want so much and for you to not shoot at me anymore"
ShadowDragon8685
Hyzmarca, we're dealing with criminals and Lone Star, not organized world powers fighting a war.

Really, is Lone Star going to accept a negotiated ceasefire, negotiated surrender, or a unilaterial ceasefire? No, they won't accept anything other than "Hands behind your head! Assume the position!"

And once you're in Lone Star's system, it's up the creek for you. Nine for ten, Shadowrunners are very wealthy, very SINLess people. That means Lone Star can "oops" lose then in the paperwork, and get a large supply of organs to leg, and used bio and cyber.

Where, exactly, do bootleg organs wind up, anyway?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Really, is Lone Star going to accept a negotiated ceasefire, negotiated surrender, or a unilaterial ceasefire?

Yep.

You're thinking police again. Think "gang with badges".

~J
Grinder
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 12 2005, 12:47 PM)

That is EXACTLY the attitude that breeds "never surrender". EDIT: Not to say that is a wrong attitude, you just should expect a certain reaction to being in such an environment.

I always try to give the PCs a chance to avoid a fight or the possiblity to flee. I never bring PCs in a situation where they are without chance to escape/ stay alive.
mmu1
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Really, is Lone Star going to accept a negotiated ceasefire, negotiated surrender, or a unilaterial ceasefire? No, they won't accept anything other than "Hands behind your head! Assume the position!"

I'm partial to "Put down your gun and don't even look like you're thinking about calling for backup." myself, but your way works too. nyahnyah.gif
Fox1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Nothing I've read in SR indicates that this is the general case.

Corp employee with badges... yes. Ganger? No.

blakkie
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 12 2005, 02:03 PM)
And yes Fox1, SR could be run differently by the GM. But it rarely is it would seem.  "Life is cheap" as a prevailing attitude in the game world seems to be ingrained pretty damn deep in the core rules books.  Widespread, organized organlegging anyone?

I've read a number of the books set in the setting, and own all the adventures.

Judging form those, it comes across to me as "life is cheap" for no names who end up with the organleggers- but PCs have stock adventures with all the standard frills.

In short, the dark no-win face-always-in-the dirt SR world is background favor for cool scenes and outlandish exploits.

I suppose it depends on whether you are playing a Prime Runner with a full Author's Beloved safety net. A lot of the characters that those metaplots turn on are far, far above the station of starting runners.

Also it isn't just killing outright. A 'runner doesn't even need to die if the The Man takes her for her life to effectively end. If they rip all the super expensive 'ware from out of her body how many would want to entertain the concept of life back down on the farm after getting use to the thrill of MBW3? What about the practicalities of actually being able to survive, 'runners tend to build enemy lists over time. The ones that do want to live down on the farm, and for whom it is a feasible option, are already naturally weeded from the 'runner population since they have the option to have the stuff pulled and sold.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 12 2005, 03:07 PM)

Nothing I've read in SR indicates that this is the general case.

Corp employee with badges... yes. Ganger? No.

They're underpaid, not-so-well-educated and (most of 'em) are willing to accept a bribe or run their or criminal business. The cop is not per se your friend in the 6th world. Don't think of them like the guys in "NYPD Blue" think more of "The Shield".
Fox1
QUOTE (blakkie)
I suppose it depends on whether you are playing a Prime Runner with a full Author's Beloved safety net. A lot of the characters that those metaplots turn on are far, far above the station of starting runners.

That's just not true. Many of the characters are shown at the start of their careers, others aren't runners and note themselves that they aren't in the same league as such 'professionals'.

I sense a great deal of personal vision of Shadowrun that while valid, is just that- a personal vision.

Fox1
QUOTE (Grinder)
They're underpaid, not-so-well-educated and (most of 'em) are willing to accept a bribe or run their or criminal business. The cop is not per se your friend in the 6th world. Don't think of them like the guys in "NYPD Blue" think more of "The Shield".

I disagree.

As I noted elsewhere, they may well not be underpaided at all. Nor do they seem significantly less trained than many city level police dept. today.

They are corp employees which means they answer more to a bottom line than the Law. As a result they also lack the strong traditions of today's law enforcement and live in a culture that splits people into SIN and SINless, this makes them more brutal in general and far less idealistic.

It doesn't make them fools.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 12 2005, 02:42 PM)
Hyzmarca, we're dealing with criminals and Lone Star, not organized world powers fighting a war.

There are many different groups that PCs can find themselves running against. These incude, but are not limited to, private security firms, organized criminals, unorganzied criminals, honest to gosh police officers, megacorps, minor corporations, mom&pop businesses, world-spanning conspiracies, AIs, other shadowrunners, minor independant initiatory groups, major independant inititory groups, cults, BUGS, THE ENEMY, independant vampires, vampire groups, Free Spirits, berserkers, cyberzombies, drug addicts, blood mages, toxics, twisteds, petros, serial killers, rapists, child molesters, extortionists, incompetent bafoons, professionals, people who just want to get paid and go home at the end of the day, mindless ghouls, ghouls with INT 9, CHA 9 and WIL 10, and the matre'd who gave your vindictive partner a bad table.

Some of these are more open to negoiation than others. For example, there is a nice run in Super Tuesday that has a group of Mantids conspiring to invest a VP canidate so that they can get out of the Chicago Comtainment Area. Now, these Mantids would certainly be willing to let you go if you help to proivde them with their target and esorted her (with a female Mantis in her skin) to safety.

Also, as Grinder said, cops are not unbribable. Sometimes flashing bills and saying "Golly officer, I want to go with you be President Dunkelzhan here says that I should be on my way" actually works.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 12 2005, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 12 2005, 03:55 PM)
I suppose it depends on whether you are playing a Prime Runner with a full Author's Beloved safety net.  A lot of the characters that those metaplots turn on are far, far above the station of starting runners.

That's just not true. Many of the characters are shown at the start of their careers, others aren't runners and note themselves that they aren't in the same league as such 'professionals'.

I sense that the novels are something different than the rules. wink.gif What i was getting at is that they are a different medium, which tends to (for various reasons) have a different tone. Stories where losts of the main people keep dieing off, including a rotating seat for the role of protagonist, are pretty rare in general.

Stuff that novel characters tend to be made of scream 'munchkin' to many gamers. The odds can line up for them at the right times, so they can skirt much closer to danger and pull it out. Or because of advanced knowledge via the author they can have plans in place that make sense. Once a true die comes into play it is much, much tougher. Especially in an unforgiving environment like the SR rules, less so in for example D&D. I think it no small coincidence that the Dragon Lance novels were created from running under a heroic game system like D&D. SR isn't a heroic type system.

I sense a great deal of personal vision of Shadowrun that while valid, is just that- a personal vision.

Yes, it is entirely up to the GM. But it is a vision that the rules strongly encourage. No, i'm not going to go quote by quote but the wide spread tendancy for widespread short brutal lives in SR games (both PC and NPC) is somewhat a testimate to that. Please note that i'm saying tendancy, not suggesting something without exception.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Actually, yes, I do think they will.

The Star is a corp. Corps exist to make a profit. If you can show a reason why it is profitable (or less expensive) to let you go than to pursue the matter, then I don't see why LoneStar wouldn't negotiate a ceasefire/surrender/etc. And I mean this at every single level of LoneStar -- from the CEO down to the guy in the patrol car.

Now, there may be idealists here and there, but as a whole, you have to remember you're dealing with a corp. Corps don't care about law and order for the sake of law and order. Corps don't care about honor or doing the right thing for their own sake. They only care about these things in so far as they impact the bottom line.

The rule is to negotiate before you make it impossible for them to do so. If you kill someone's employee or buddy, they're less likely to be cooperative whether it's to prevent damage to morale or because they really liked the guy.
Fox1
QUOTE (blakkie)
I sense that the novels are something different than the rules. wink.gif

I'm sensing that the modules published give me the same impressions as the books. Heck, I have old D&D modules that were more death dealing than SR.

SR is no more inherently dangerous to PCs than any other RPG setting judging from all its background materal and suggestions provided for GMing there in.

GMs who fall in love with the concept of "PCs should die instantly if they lose a single enounter" are just putting their own vision of what they feel 'should be' over the game, the same way that players who think opening up with a GL in A zone are.

Nor do I believe that different mediums have to have different tones, rather they only need different methods.

hahnsoo
The arguments about the Star here actually closely resemble the ones in the Lone Star sourcebook (eerily, in some cases). While Lone Star IS a Corp, it is a Corp that benefits from an image, and in fact, their main revenue comes from selling that image. This is more important in cities where Lone Star has an exclusive contract than where they are competing with other corps (Megas, KE, other security contractors, whatever). The way a typical Star will behave is highly dependent on the region and even particular city.
Clyde
I'd say that runners are better off surrenduring to Lone Star than fighting them. A bribe doesn't require the cop to do any paperwork or risk his life. If he turns out to be the virtuous type, well, it's not like you aren't committing half a dozen more serious crimes with the 'ware you've got installed or the spells you know. Of course, you can't do this where the Lone Star guy might be caught out for taking the bribe. Thus, you can't expect to HMG a Stuffer Shack and then walk away like nothing happened.

As for Corps, I'd say you could surrender to any of them except Aztechnology. Sure, they can torture you and put a bullet in your head. But you can always offer them something more profitable in return. I'd think you could negotiate, too. The CorpSec guys might let you get out the front door if you promise not to hurt the hostages or blow up their special prototype. Not that they won't double cross you, but that's the fun part grinbig.gif

Really, the only humans you have to fight to the death are in organized crime. They've got a reputation on the street to uphold. Unlike the corp or the cops, if they show weakness by accepting disrespect they know it will be open season on all their operations.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Clyde @ Sep 12 2005, 09:55 PM)
As for Corps, I'd say you could surrender to any of them except Aztechnology.

Well, and MCT, on occasion. They have that "Zero Zone" thing going, where they pride themselves on 100% fatalities. You are more likely to run into facility defenses than sec-guards there, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012