Attribute Boost
Cost: .25 per level
You can call upon your inner strength to perform amazing
feats beyond your normal abilities. Attribute Boost must
be purchased for a specific Physical attribute: Agility, Body,
Reaction, and Strength (separate Attribute Boost powers may
be bought for different attributes). It cannot be purchased for a
Mental or Special attribute.
To gain the boost, make a Magic + (Attribute Boost) Test.
Each hit on this test boosts the attribute by 1. The boost lasts
for a number of Combat Turns equal to the twice the number
of hits generated.
When the boost runs out, you must resist Drain equal
to the Attribute Boost rating using Willpower + Body; each
hit reduces the Drain Value by one. Attribute Boost Drain
is Stun damage.
The attribute bonus from Attribute Boost is not compatible
with any other attribute augmentations, whether from implants
or spells, with the exception of the Improved Physical
Attribute adept power.

This adept power is rather unique and its confusing me a bit.

First, is there a limit to how much you can raise the attribute through successes? For example the "Force" of this spell is equal to the levels of Attibute Boost the adept took and you can't get successes beyond that? I'd run it with no limit unless there's a concenssus that there should be.

Secondly, and more importantly, drain. Drain is equal to the "Attribute Boost" rating. Is that the number of levels you have in Attribute Boost, the number of Successes you got, or the modified Attribute level?

Thirdly, what sort of action is it to use this power? Free, Simple, or Complex? I figure that because it works like a spell that it would be a Complex action to use this power.
Autarkis
QUOTE (Walknuki)
Attribute Boost
Cost: .25 per level
You can call upon your inner strength to perform amazing
feats beyond your normal abilities. Attribute Boost must
be purchased for a specific Physical attribute: Agility, Body,
Reaction, and Strength (separate Attribute Boost powers may
be bought for different attributes). It cannot be purchased for a
Mental or Special attribute.
To gain the boost, make a Magic + (Attribute Boost) Test.
Each hit on this test boosts the attribute by 1. The boost lasts
for a number of Combat Turns equal to the twice the number
of hits generated.
When the boost runs out, you must resist Drain equal
to the Attribute Boost rating using Willpower + Body; each
hit reduces the Drain Value by one. Attribute Boost Drain
is Stun damage.
The attribute bonus from Attribute Boost is not compatible
with any other attribute augmentations, whether from implants
or spells, with the exception of the Improved Physical
Attribute adept power.

This adept power is rather unique and its confusing me a bit.

First, is there a limit to how much you can raise the attribute through successes? For example the "Force" of this spell is equal to the levels of Attibute Boost the adept took and you can't get successes beyond that? I'd run it with no limit unless there's a concenssus that there should be.

I would think that you would not be able to boost an attribute higher than the 1.5 augmented max.

QUOTE (Walknuki)
Secondly, and more importantly, drain. Drain is equal to the "Attribute Boost" rating. Is that the number of levels you have in Attribute Boost, the number of Successes you got, or the modified Attribute level?

It would be the level of the Attribute Boost ability, IMO.
QUOTE (Walknuki)
Thirdly, what sort of action is it to use this power? Free, Simple, or Complex? I figure that because it works like a spell that it would be a Complex action to use this power.

Don't know....I loooked at Critter powers and they can be either Simple or Complex. Spells seem like they might be the way to go.
Cochise
QUOTE (Walknuki)

Ask yourself the following question: Which action do you need to use improved reflexes? Which type of action does it take to use Killing Hands, Critical Strike, Great Leap?

Right: It doesn't take an action at all. Same with attribute boost: The adept's player merely has to "annouce" the use of the power ...
Dashifen
That's the way I've always run it in the past, too, Cochise. The adepts can just boost their attribtues, use that boost for a short, focused amount of time, and then might suffer drain as a result of that boost. To me it was never like Hulk who had to take four minutes and inflict some crappy music on TV audiences to boost his attribtues biggrin.gif .
Magnus Jakobsson
But when can he use it? In someone elses Action Phase? Just before rolling Dodge or Damage Resistance? I would guess that he can, but I'm not sure.
Fortune
Personally, I am thinking of making it take a Free Action to activate.
hobgoblin
sure he can, and that counterd by the drain he takes when the effect runs out wink.gif

its one of, if not the only, the adept powers that one can suffer drain from so it should be flexible enough to be activated when the user feels the need.

allso, it counters any existing spell or cyber so if the adept have a spell on him then he must forgo that when using boost. and he may not get as good a boost when doing so...
Cochise
QUOTE (Magnus Jakobsson)
But when can he use it?

Whenever he first declares the use of it ...

In someone elses Action Phase?

Provided that something happens in that Action Phase that forces the adept to make a dice roll where the power might have influence.

Just before rolling Dodge or Damage Resistance? I would guess that he can, but I'm not sure.

As long as he does it before making any particular dice roll. So no making the reaction test, seeing that he didn't dodge by one hit and thus using his power to increase reaction to roll some additional dice ...

The only retro-active mechanism for rolling dice again for an already rolled Test is Edge ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012