Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Murphy Rule of Firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JesterX
It's actually impossible to kill someone (even if the target isn't wearing armor...)with an Ares Preador heavy pistol with a single shot if you have an average agility and even if you are calling the shot to a vital part ... ^_^

Average Agility: 3
Pistol Skill: none

So, the dice pool is 2 (-1 because he is defaulting to agility)

(He can't take aim... because he doesn't have the pistol skill!)

The maximum possible bonus for calling the shot is +1DV (reducing his dice pool to 1 dice...)

So, the maximum damage he can do (before the soak) is : 5P + 1 (Called shot) + 1 probable hit = 7P ? Not enough to kill a man...

And that's only when he is at point blank range...

Or am I wrong?

So kids... you can play with guns in 2070... There is no chance that you kill yourself accidentally... ^_^ Althought it might hurt a bit!
Autarkis
Same applied in SR1, SR2, and SR3. Abstract combat does not equal reality.
Baatorian
Of course you could in SR3. Quickness 3 defaulting, called shot, buy an extra dice with a point of karma and you have a maximum of deadly damage(four dice).

An elf wouldn't even have to spend that point of karma.

- Baatorian

Edit #1 - Oh, and JesterX, take Edge in to consideration. Although without a fine grasp of the rules, at current, I can't/won't argue the point.

Edit #2 - Checking out a table or two. If you assume an average Edge of 3, then that takes your numbers up to 10 damage, not counting exploding dice, which is the magic number for average people with 3 Body.

So it is do-able.
JesterX
True... ^_^ The same also apply to D&D and a lot more other games...

That's the same as asking "How many arrows it takes to kill a lvl. 1 barbarian"... 2 and if you're really lucky and the barbarian got no constitution bonus...
Fortune
QUOTE (Baatorian)
Of course you could in SR3. Quickness 3 defaulting, called shot, buy an extra dice with a point of karma and you have a maximum of deadly damage(four dice).

You'd have to watch those TNs, since you couldn't default if they got above 8 (easy to do with Called Shot).
JesterX
The only systems I know that doesn't have the problem is Warhammer fantasy roleplay and the Rolemaster system because damage in those systems are open-ended...
Elldren
Who says a critical glitch has to use the same DV as the pistol if the kid were to shoot it? biggrin.gif

But, as for the example, the same can be said for an qui 3 man firing a pistol untrained in SR3. Rules abstractions lead to weirdness.
Baatorian
Quite, Fortune. It was whether you could or not though, I just felt like adding my yearly reply.

I've housed ruled so much about SR3 though that I doubt I could write up a list of modifiers without being flamed. I always allowed defaulting with weapons anyway, I don't have any munchkin players and no serious min/maxers, so it works.

- Baatorian
Fortune
Yeah, it never really made sense to me that a character couldn't even try something if it was even moderately hard.
Mightyflapjack
Also your average samurai shadowrunner with 4 agi + 4 pistols (+2 semi-auto) + 3 take aim + 1 called shot = 14 dice? Avg. 4 hits?

Vs.. Rent-a-Cop = 3 reaction.. Avg. 1 hit?

So 3 net sucesses.

5p + 3 sucesses + 1 called = 9p

Normal rent a cop = 3/2 bod +8 = 10 boxes physical.

So even a sucessful shadowrunner who carefully calls his shot and takes aim vs. a rent a cop will normally not one shot kill (and I did not even add in armor).
Elldren
QUOTE (JesterX)
The only systems I know that doesn't have the problem is Warhammer fantasy roleplay and the Rolemaster system because damage in those systems are open-ended...

The new WHFRP damage rules aren't open ended, though with the way weapon damage works now anybody still has a chance of killing any other mundane (read: Not Demon) target with one blow.
Baatorian
Quite, Fortune. If your players wish to try something unique and not just fire another burst with their AK, why punish them? Techinical skills on the other hand I do agree with to a degree.

- Baatorian
blakkie
QUOTE (JesterX @ Sep 13 2005, 10:41 AM)
Or am I wrong?

So kids... you can play with guns in 2070... There is no chance that you kill yourself accidentally... ^_^  Althought it might hurt a bit!

Wrong and wrong.

Using Edge makes the damage completely open-ended, so our hapless untrained pud could theoretically take out a Steel Lyxn using regular ammo. Something i'm not sure is actually possible under SR3, certainly not with someone anywhere near average.

Of course the odds of one-shotting the Steel Lynx are miniscule, but one shotting an unarmed mook isn't too bad unless they are using Full Defense and pour their Edge into it too.

Also Critical Glitch and you can shoot yourself, so don't be passing around your Pred IV at Show & Tell. EDIT: Whether you actually die from the CG or not of course is all about GM interpretation and player bribes. wink.gif
Clyde
Hey, in D20 Modern a klutz with no weapon proficiencies and a 5 Dexterity can still score a critical hit with a .22 and do 16 points of damage (max on 4d4). That's enough to take a 6 hit point character straight to -10. Clearly, if you guys want realism in firearms you should play D20 Modern!!

[SARCASM] But this whole thread showcases yet one more reason why SR4 is the worst game ever written. The. Worst. What were the designers smoking? Clearly it was the same thing that made them come up with SURGE. Why couldn't they just fix all the things that were wrong with SR3 without changing any of the rules or background? Or if they were going to write a new edition, they should have made sure that it was totally flawless and then released it in 2025 or so. That way I might be dead before I have to actually play it. [/SARCASM].

Seriously guys. Let's just make all rolls open ended and write up some optional combat pool rules before someone gets hurt. silly.gif

Mightyflapjack
Taking healing rules...

A runner with a gunshot wound.. will naturally heal without ill effects.. even if no medical attention is rendered...

Just making body checks (Body x 2) (1 day) extended test with bedrest.. each success heals a box of damage.

Even with a 10 box character with 9 boxes of physical wounds from multiple gunshots can basically.. "Sleep it off."

Clyde
Well, flap (may I call you flap?), you've got to think about what 9 boxes represents. Your character is badly injured, and impaired to the tune of -3 dice on everything. On the other hand, that costs you 1 hit on average. Of course, you aren't bleeding out - this is clearly a wound that hasn't nailed an artery or major blood bearing organ. In fact, the worst thing about being at 9 boxes of physical damage is that 1 or 2 more will put you out.

So, yeah, it makes at least a little sense that you might just sleep this one off. Wounds close up - and yours might've been caused by blunt force trauma through your armor anyway. Ultimately, I'd say you should take issue with the Wounding rules. These seem to prevent you from functioning at all when you have a life threatening physical injury - when in fact a great many people continue with some impaired function despite obviously mortal wounds. Likewise, they don't leave enough room for complications like internal bleeding and shock.
Fox1
I think it's a given that SR was always a set of rules for gaming and never an attempt at firearm or injury simulation.

The only serious question is can play the game and still have fun with, and everyone needs to answer that for themselves.

NightmareX
QUOTE (JesterX)
It's actually impossible to kill someone (even if the target isn't wearing armor...)with an Ares Preador heavy pistol with a single shot if you have an average agility and even if you are calling the shot to a vital part ... ^_^

Yeah, but what amateur ever fires just one round? wink.gif
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (NightmareX)

Yeah, but what amateur ever fires just one round? wink.gif

one on a tight budget? biggrin.gif
Fox1
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 14 2005, 05:36 AM)

Yeah, but what amateur ever fires just one round?  wink.gif

one on a tight budget? biggrin.gif

Actually firing one round isn't that uncommon of a mistake for amateurs as I understand it.

Even more common is not firing at all...

NightmareX
QUOTE (Fox1)
Actually firing one round isn't that uncommon of a mistake for amateurs as I understand it.

Even more common is not firing at all...

I must be the exception then. biggrin.gif
Eddie Furious
One thing about roleplaying is we often forget what a normal psychological response will be.

In my game, not only does the person have penalties, but he has his survival instinct kick in. You don't need to kill somebody, you need to stop them from getting you. Getting shot is actually quite very complex. Even if a round does not go through the armour, there is a fair chance that the person wearing the armour is going to fall down, unless he braced for it, and bracing for it means you are going to get shot more than once (static threats/targets have a tendency attracting a lot of attention in a firefight), or there are other variables keeping you standing, but let's not get into that or this post will be even longer than it has to. After that person (most likely) falls down, he is going to go in one of three directions, sit there in a panic (Oh god I'm hit!), move out of the line of fire (Oh crap, I'm hit! Gotta find cover/check for holes!), or try as best he can to get back into it (Sunnova... how'd I get down here!? I gotta get back to work). Now many people will ask for rules, but I just eyeball their willpower and initiative. The higher those two combined are, the better disciplined the person is and the more positive the response will be.

Remember, you don't have to kill a combatant to remove him as a threat, just stop him. Which is where we got that whole "Stopping Power" thing from. But that's another story.
Fox1
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Even if a round does not go through the armour, there is a fair chance that the person wearing the armour is going to fall down, unless he braced for it,

I'm afraid that unless the firearms of SR have vastly increased in power and have in addition some sci-fi ability to counter the Newton's third law; its impossible for them to actually knock a person down. The energy to do so just isn't there and if it was the person firing it would be hurled off his feet as well.

There are however very significant psychological effects as you note.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Remember, you don't have to kill a combatant to remove him as a threat, just stop him. Which is where we got that whole "Stopping Power" thing from. But that's another story.

"Stopping power" is a myth. If you just wound someone one of two things will happen. He'll choose to retreet because of the psycological effects of the wound or he'll continue to fight in spite of it.

The only way to be sure is to wound someone so severly that fighting becomes impossible. The most reliable way to do this is to kill. The second most reliable way to do this is to destroy the spinal cord above the arms which is likely to be fatal anyway and requres great accuracy.

When people talk about "stopping power" they are generally talking about the ability to make large and very likely fatal wound cavities.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Sep 14 2005, 12:07 PM)
Even if a round does not go through the armour, there is a fair chance that the person wearing the armour is going to fall down, unless he braced for it,

I'm afraid that unless the firearms of SR have vastly increased in power and have in addition some sci-fi ability to counter the Newton's third law; its impossible for them to actually knock a person down. The energy to do so just isn't there and if it was the person firing it would be hurled off his feet as well.

There are however very significant psychological effects as you note.

I did not say that they would fall down due to the force applied by the round. I merely stated that they often fall down. I have seen it (training accident). It's kind of eerie. It's like being punched hard by an invisible man.
Fox1
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
I did not say that they would fall down due to the force applied by the round. I merely stated that they often fall down. I have seen it (training accident). It's kind of eerie. It's like being punched hard by an invisible man.

It's a psychological effect. People think they should fall down when shot for some reason.

Many think it comes from too much TV and movies. There is currently no know physical reason for it to happen.

Bracing for it (your suggestion) would be of little help and would in fact likely be counter-productive. The best defense is actually not noticing that you've been hit in the first place- something possible in the panic of actual combat. After that, the old "I have no time to bleed" does seem to work for the natural warriors amoung us...

Eddie Furious
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Sep 14 2005, 12:07 PM)

"Stopping power" is a myth. If you just wound someone one of two things will happen. He'll choose to retreet because of the psycological effects of the wound or he'll continue to fight in spite of it.

The only way to be sure is to wound someone so severly that fighting becomes impossible. The most reliable way to do this is to kill. The second most reliable way to do this is to destroy the spinal cord above the arms which is likely to be fatal anyway and requres great accuracy.

When people talk about "stopping power" they are generally talking about the ability to make large and very likely fatal wound cavities.

Incapacitation does not mean that killing him is the be all and end all. People get hit, and depending upon who and what they are, they can keep fighting until they have bled out, or more commonly only up until they have been shot, then they say to themselves "oops, I may have pushed this a little too far, I think I'll hide here and hope my friends find me". Don't get me wrong, I agree the best way to take a guy out of the fight is to kill him, but often we would hit him, he'd fall down and we would move and go to the next guy before we got the same back. I won't get into an argument about permanent and temporary would cavities or energy transferral here. I just know that often you don't end up killing somebody instantly with rifle rounds, unless as you have stated, it was "in the ten ring". Most often shock sets in quickly with gunshot wounds and they end up going down the psychological road to their perception of appropriate behaviour.

As for the stopping power is a myth thing. I don't know, we were trained to put the rounds into the center of body mass until he stopped, then move before somebody did the same to us, well there's more to it, but you get the idea.
jervinator
"...we were trained to put the rounds into the center of body mass until he stopped..."

Not the most efficient way, but certainly effective. Fire enough bullets and one of them is statistically likely to hit something vital.
hobgoblin
and even if that dont happen, you have just ripped so many new holes in him that he should be bleeding dry very soon unless some medic finds him.
nezumi
Keep in mind, if memory serves, police firing at fugitives (or whatever word you want to use) less than twenty feet away hit on about one out of every six bullets fired. If you're shooting in the dark at a moving target, I'd keep shooting just to be sure I even hit once!
imperialus
QUOTE (Clyde)
[SARCASM] But this whole thread showcases yet one more reason why SR4 is the worst game ever written. The. Worst. What were the designers smoking? Clearly it was the same thing that made them come up with SURGE. Why couldn't they just fix all the things that were wrong with SR3 without changing any of the rules or background? Or if they were going to write a new edition, they should have made sure that it was totally flawless and then released it in 2025 or so. That way I might be dead before I have to actually play it. [/SARCASM]

yeah it even Shadazar and that one FATAL larp I ended up playing arn't as bad as SR4 ohplease.gif nyahnyah.gif
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Fox1)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Sep 14 2005, 02:04 PM)

It's a psychological effect. People think they should fall down when shot for some reason.

Many think it comes from too much TV and movies. There is currently no know physical reason for it to happen.

Not entirely true.

Many cases of 'got shot fell over' that I have seen the reports of were due to the inherent unbalanced nature of human movement

Walking and running are a controlled fall... ever played tag and fell over because you were running full pelt and someone 'tagged' you from behind? that force wasn't much, but just enough to overbalance you and a bullet can provide that much force.

Fox1
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Sep 16 2005, 05:46 PM)
Walking and running are a controlled fall... ever played tag and fell over because you were running full pelt and someone 'tagged' you from behind? that force wasn't much, but just enough to overbalance you and a bullet can provide that much force.

I don't buy into this. People encounter far greater forces acting on them without falling all the time.

And no, despite being a frequent tag player as a child I never fell over when tagged. Pushed yes, but your typical push has far more energy than a gunshot.

You're going to have to provide a source for this claim.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fox1 @ Sep 14 2005, 02:13 PM)

That's bull.

Look up "shock" in a medical dictionary some time.
your typical push has far more energy than a gunshot.

…Please for the love of god tell me you meant momentum. Even if you didn't, lie to me and say you did.

~J
Fox1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's bull.

Take it up with M.L. Fackler, M.D.

He's currently the world's most respected expert on the subject, I'm sure he'll be interested in your point of view. After you're done educating him on the matter please forward me his admission of error- I need it for my references.

Please for the love of god tell me you meant momentum. Even if you didn't, lie to me and say you did.

If was intending to specifically reference kinetic energy I would have used the full term. Instead I just used the word energy because its easy to spell than momentum.

jervinator
Heck, you don't even need to get that scientific. Penn and Teller wrapped some melons in duct tape and shot 'em. Every single one jumped TOWARDS the firing position, not away. Even if we go with the Hollywood view, there are many movies where the victim either drops straight down or falls forward.
Of course, if you lose enough blood from a gunshot wound you may lose the strength and/or equilibrium required to remain vertical. If your head starts to spin or your knees start to shake, you'll go down one way or another.
And if you want knockback, play a troll with a melee weapon wink.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Fox1)
Take it up with M.L. Fackler, M.D.

He's currently the world's most respected expert on the subject, I'm sure he'll be interested in your point of view. After you're done educating him on the matter please forward me his admission of error- I need it for my references.

Umm... Sources? So many of Fackler's findings have been misinterpreted or misrepresented, just dropping his name to forestall argument means nothing.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (jervinator)
Heck, you don't even need to get that scientific. Penn and Teller wrapped some melons in duct tape and shot 'em. Every single one jumped TOWARDS the firing position, not away.

Well yeah. Equal and opposite reaction and all that. When chunks of melon exit the rear of the melon through the exit wound, the rest of the melon is propelled forward as if the high-velocity juices were a rocket propulsion system. The same thing wound happen to you if a bullet passed through your body - the juices out the back through the exit wound would propel you forward. Exactly as if you had thrown a baseball behind you - it pushes you forward and off balance. Only the "baseball" being thrown out the back is your kindeys. If you aren't expecting it, you'll even fall down.

Of course, if you are wearing some balistic armor and the bullet doesn't penetrate through, it will carry you backwards. Just as if you shot a tin can off a fence post.

This is basic physics at its finest.

-Frank
hobgoblin
thing is tho that said melons had much less mass then a person.

to get the same effect on something with the mass of a human you will need much more force.

this is why a rocket burns most of its fuel right there on the pad as its right then that its at its heavyest.

its pointed to time and again that any weapon that would move the person shot an amount would move the shooter the same amount.

best example i have seen recently is the excelent mythbusters series where they suspended the remains of a pig on a hair trigger rig. they where shooting at it with anything from the smalles handgun to some real sniper rifles.

only time it moved was when it was hit by a shotgun, and then it dropped straight down. so basicly it was only moved so far that it was disconnected from the rig.

your more likely to fall based on the neural pathways from your brain to your legs get cut or interrupted then from the force of the bullet.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
its pointed to time and again that any weapon that would move the person shot an amount would move the shooter the same amount.

A greater amount—those gasses don't just slam into the target.

~J
Fox1
QUOTE (mmu1)
Umm... Sources? So many of Fackler's findings have been misinterpreted or misrepresented, just dropping his name to forestall argument means nothing.

I frankly am not interested in making the argument, which is why I didn't bother providing links any more than Kagetenshi did.

If he can get away with calling bull without links, so can I.

Anyone interested in finding out the truth can do so on their own. The IWBA have removed their website from the Internet, but http://www.firearmstactical.com/ still has some good articles including some by Dr. Fackler for those interested in finding out the currently accept thought on the subject.

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 17 2005, 12:27 AM)

err, equal and oposite reaction?

same amount of force both ways...
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
thing is tho that said melons had much less mass then a person.

to get the same effect on something with the mass of a human you will need much more force.

this is why a rocket burns most of its fuel right there on the pad as its right then that its at its heavyest.

best example i have seen recently is the excelent mythbusters series where they suspended the remains of a pig on a hair trigger rig. they where shooting at it with anything from the smalles handgun to some real sniper rifles.

only time it moved was when it was hit by a shotgun, and then it dropped straight down. so basicly it was only moved so far that it was disconnected from the rig.

your more likely to fall based on the neural pathways from your brain to your legs get cut or interrupted then from the force of the bullet.

chuckles......
this reminds me of something, they (mythbusters)have also proven that at a normal firing hight that bullets do plane out from handguns and rifles at least those that dont disintegrate, the only thing that didnt was a shotgun slug....it seems hollywood got something right for once

hobgoblin
huh? sorry but i have no idea what your talking about...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 17 2005, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 17 2005, 12:27 AM)

err, equal and oposite reaction?

same amount of force both ways...

But the firearm is also expelling gasses that don't hit the target (they slam into air molecules, disperse, and slow down that way). As a result, the shooter is pushed back with more force than the target.

~J
hobgoblin
maybe so, but the point that you end up moving the shooter around if you move the target around still stands...
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 17 2005, 04:18 AM)
huh? sorry but i have no idea what your talking about...

hollywood movies, (lethal weapon 2 comes to mind) shows the hero avoiding bullets by diving underwater because bullets either move off course and/or lose momentum due to increased friction of water....

mythbusters took a bunch of standard style weapons and using a pool and body gel simulated the situation and showed that so long as the person could stay at least 2 feet under the surface pistol rounds would skitter off on a tangent course than fired in and high velocity rifle rounds, (including i might add a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle) disintegrated on impact with the water, the only thing that had the power to puncture the body gel was a deer slug from a 12 ga shotgun

found it quite interesting and educational
Fox1
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
the only thing that had the power to puncture the body gel was a deer slug from a 12 ga shotgun

It's not a question of power.

It's a question of mass, shape, and low enough velocity that the slug doesn't rend itself upon contact with the water.

mintcar
Hmm. Has anybody figured the PAIN into this argument? It´s rather hard to stay on your feet when you´re close to fainting from a sudden pain.
Austere Emancipator
Pain takes a while to take effect, and it's totally unreliable as a method of incapacitation with a conventional firearm. Neurological shock is just as unreliable, but at least that can take effect immediately.

QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
high velocity rifle rounds, (including i might add a Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle) disintegrated on impact with the water

Odd. You don't happen to recall what type of bullet the Barrett was loaded with?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012