Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BlackHat
Ouch. Like, 10 drones. That sucks. Sure hope Rigger4 hurries up.

What's with the picture of the chick putting together the anthroform drone? There don't seem to be any anymore.

Anyways, on with a few questions. I just got the book about a week ago, and hanv't had time to go over it with a fine tooth comb... but I am looking forward to the decker/rigger merge as I tended to play rigger/deckers in SR3 anyways - but I ahve a few questions on drones....

1. Why is the ocular drone so expensive? What makes it worth the extra nuyen.gif 50,000 just because it can sit in your head instead of in a pocket? As a rigger, if one of my drones gets shot on the job - no biggy, you expect that. You patch up what you can, and take it to the shop later on... if someone shoots MY FUCKING EYE on the job, that's a bit more of a problem. I understand that in order ot make the drone obay your brain when its sitting in your socket, it might take some expensive wiring... but why woudl any Runner really want to hand over 50,000 per eye just to have a convienent place to stash his drones?

2. IF Pilot=IC=Agent now, can the drone's Pilot programs be treated like agents? Can you load them with programs? task them with matrix-taks? etc.

3. Since file-size isn't the issue anymore, and all drones are on the matrix all the time, and the pilots are more like agent programs loaded onto a physical chasis... does that mean you can upgrade the pilot program down the road?
Rotbart van Dainig
Occular Drone costs 3KĄ - the Availability of 6 just missed its column. wink.gif

10 Drones is quite impressive for a main book of SR.

While Pilots, Drones and IC use mostly the same rules, they aren't the same - but you can load IC/Agents with Programs into a Drone, given enough Response...

That indeed means a Drone's Pilot is limited only by its Response - so if you got a (cracked) Pilot 6 Program, you are only limited by the available hardware when you load it into any Drone.

You could even outfit an Agent with some Hacking Programs, a Pilot Program, some Autosofts and order it to hack, turn over and upgrade Drones for you.
BlackHat
Thanks for the fast response.
That actually cleared up everything. I suppose before I dig into the main book I should check out the erratta. smile.gif
Nikoli
You can also install response upgrades to accomodate better firewall andpilot programs.
Also, the Electronic Warfare autosoft allows the drone to engage in jamming and node locating tasks
Shadow_Prophet
And arthroforms haven't gone away, theres a skill for them. Just no examples in the BBB. They'll be out.
BlackHat
Yeah, I figured as much - just woudl have been nice if htey had tossed one of each type in there, rather than 2 of each size. wink.gif

I've always prefered anthroform and walker drones.
Xenith
They'd have to include those. I mean... come on... Battletech, yo! ^_^
Dutchy
There is a walker drone in the bbb:

Shiawase Kanmushi: This quad-leg micro-drone “bug”
crawler is ideal for penetrating closely confined areas and is
capable of crawling on walls and ceilings. p 342

I think that sounds like a walker drone.
Stormdrake
Well they included the pictures for them so one can hope the stats will come along, lol.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Sep 14 2005, 09:45 AM)

3. Since file-size isn't the issue anymore, and all drones are on the matrix all the time, 

Jesus fragging Christ! That alone makes rigging even scaryer than the actual rigging rules out of SR3. I can't imagine any rigger who shadowruns doing this. The vulnerability and potential threat is just astronomical.
Rotbart van Dainig
You don't have to - you can control your Drone directly, too.

This won't work when controlling a Drone at the other end of the city/country/world, though, so sometimes, using the Matrix as a relais becomes interesting.
BlackHat
Also, I must be blind, but I cant' figure out two more things..

1) what is the responce of a drone? DO I have to basically buy a commlink-model for each drone? That seems extranous because I don't need displays and keyboards and crap.

As far as I can tell, Pilot = System, Signal is determined by the drone's signal package, firewall = pilot, but I can't tell how the responce of a drone is determined - jsut that I am supposed to use it for initiative.

2) According to the vehicle list, all vehicles have a pilot rating. Does this mean they are all drone-able? or is this the SR4 equivilent of autonav, and you still need to rigger -adapt anythign but a drone to dive into it?
Elldren
QUOTE (BlackHat)
2) According to the vehicle list, all vehicles have a pilot rating. Does this mean they are all drone-able? or is this the SR4 equivilent of autonav, and you still need to rigger -adapt anythign but a drone to dive into it?

No, they need to be rigger-adapted to be directly VR controlled. You can still issue commands to vehicles with a pilot rating, though.
sapphire_wyvern
Vehicles that do not carry passengers are already drone-adapted. Vehicles that carry passengers are not drone-adapted by default.

If there aren't specific ratings provided for a drone's Response, you use the "Device Rating" table from the "Wireless World" chapter to obtain their starting ratings.

IIRC, it's something like Device Rating 3 for civvy vehicles, 4 for security-grade, 5+ for military.

So yeah. One can assume that any given drone will probably start with 3 to 5 Response, depending on whether it's civilian, police or milspec. That's usually fairly obvious when examining the drone's description. Most of the core-book drones would be security grade IMO. (The Steel Lynx would be milspec though).

"Pilot" programs are actually a subset of agents, so yeah, System = Firewall = Pilot.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Sep 15 2005, 05:19 AM)
1) what is the responce of a drone?

Normal Vehicles and Drones, unless modified, have a Device Rating of 3 - that means they have Response 3 and Signal 3.

Check the Device Rating Table and the Signal Table, too - they are important. wink.gif
BlackHat
One last question (I hope).

So, I can conenct a number of devices to my drone = to its System/Pilot rating x2, right? So, lets say I would like it to connect to each of my team-member's Commlinks, so that they can share visual information (like, the drone could mark targets or something - or jsut so they coudl check in on what the drone is seeing). Assuming a 5 man team (including myself) this would eat up 5 of the connections, plus, one of hte conenctions available by each of our commlinks?

What if I only want to give them the ability to recieve information from the drone (and possibly for the drone to pick up information from them - smartlink targets, etc)... but I don't want them to be "logged in" to the drone and able to give it commands.

SR3 had the concept of 3 channels (command, system, and somethign else), but SR4 seems to abstract things away to "conencted" or "not-connected".

I guess my question is, can I allow poeple to connect with restricted privligages? or once I let them connect ot the drone, are they on the honor-system that they won't make it go get them coffee or something?
Rotbart van Dainig
The limit is on subscriptions active at a time - the list itself is not limited.
As long as there is no transfer, it doesn't take up a slot.

But keep in mind your smartgun or fridge counts, too.

This is one limit in SR4 that can be extended or removed without real harm, though.

BTW, SR3 had the same limit on subsribed drones on a RCD, too.
BlackHat
Yes, but can "permissions" be set on a connection?

Like, if I want my drone and team to share data, they take up a conenction on each other's lists (since data is going both ways, at all times)... but I jsut don't want that to mean that the team's prankster can send commands over his commlink's connection to the drone, and have them interpreted/executed...
Nikoli
Yes, i believe that they can be given "user" access that lets them receive telemetry and sensor data or upgraded on a temp bassis for Pilot access.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure, as Drones have a System, too, you can configure different accounts.

Drones even can interconnect and share data themselves, if configured this way.
BlackHat
So, one last thing I am confused about - why exactly I would need to load an agent (with programs) onto the drone. The drone comes with a pilot program (OS) which is capable fo running programs itself, right?

So, given a drone with everything = 3 (System, responce, pilot, etc)
I could load a firewall program (rating 3) and a Electronic Warfare autosoft (also 3) on there just fine, right?
THen, maybe I want it to encrypt its transmissions, so I throw an Encrypt (rating 3) program on there, bu now since I have too many programs on there, the responce goes down to 2 (dragging the sytem down to 2 with it - and making all three programs run at rating 2)
Is that all correct?

Also, with encryption, according ot the book, in order to decrypt stuff, the intruder makes a Something+Decrypt program extended test with threshold = encryption rating x2, 1 combat turn

SO in this case, he only needs 4 hits to break the encryption? (sinces its running at rating 2) That doesn't seem like its even worth doing.

But back to my origninal question, why would I need an agent program loaded onto the drone as well? COuldn't I jsut command the drone's pilot to carry out whatever tasks I would have commanded the agent to do?
Nikoli
Same reason you run an agent on your commlink, to handle certain tasks automatically.
If the drones attention is split between spoofing, jamming and following, it's likely to miss something. Have the agent handling the spoofing and your're reducing the workload.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (BlackHat)
So, one last thing I am confused about - why exactly I would need to load an agent (with programs) onto the drone. The drone comes with a pilot program (OS) which is capable fo running programs itself, right?

So, given a drone with everything = 3 (System, responce, pilot, etc)
I could load a firewall program (rating 3) and a Electronic Warfare autosoft (also 3) on there just fine, right?
THen, maybe I want it to encrypt its transmissions, so I throw an Encrypt (rating 3) program on there, bu now since I have too many programs on there, the responce goes down to 2 (dragging the sytem down to 2 with it - and making all three programs run at rating 2)
Is that all correct?

Also, with encryption, according ot the book, in order to decrypt stuff, the intruder makes a Something+Decrypt program extended test with threshold = encryption rating x2, 1 combat turn

SO in this case, he only needs 4 hits to break the encryption? (sinces its running at rating 2) That doesn't seem like its even worth doing.

But back to my origninal question, why would I need an agent program loaded onto the drone as well? COuldn't I jsut command the drone's pilot to carry out whatever tasks I would have commanded the agent to do?

If you're thinking about doing all that upgrading, why not at the same time upgrade its response?

Just a thought.
Rotbart van Dainig
Firewall and System don't count on the limit for runnig Programs - they are assumed to be always present: Without System, you can't run Programs.
Nikoli
And firewall is separate from system, you cna have a system 3 but a 6 firewall
Rotbart van Dainig
Only if you have an Response of 6, in which case it would be quite odd to run anything less than System 6. wink.gif
BlackHat
I guess, except that my commlink doesn't have a "pilot" rating, so cannot be commanded to do anythign on its own - unless an agent is running on it. The drone, effectivly, already has one agent running on it, because it can recieve commands to perform autonomous action. Uploading another one basically gives it another "brain" which (necessarily) in control of the body.

I do agree with your point about splitting the workload. I guess with enough agents running, you're effectly allowing the drone to "multitask" by say, taking two actions in a round (one for the agent, say jamming signals or something, and one for the drone itself, following me around and shooting targets).
BlackHat
ah, yeah I know that if I'm doing any upgrading, the first thing would be to upgrade the system/response stuff - but I was jsut suing those numbers as an easy example so that I could make sure I knew how the programs bogging down the system worked.

Isn't the encryption stuff a little easy to overcome though? WHy would anyone bother to encrypt data that can be broken by average-joe-hacker in a matter of seconds?
Nikoli
It never states that Firewall is limited by response, though System and application ratings are. That tells me that Firewall is unique in this respect.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sometimes, even those seconds are invaluable.

Keep in Mind that an encrypted connection neither takes up a Program Slot nor does it's Rating have to correspond to the Device it runs on - only the Response/System of the one who installed it matters.
Same goes for Databombs...

So, actually, there is no reason not to do it.
BlackHat
So if I want my commlink to have an encrypted connection to a drone, only the commlink needs have the encryption program running? The drone can respond, in an encrypted fashion, without having access to the program?

Also, once the conenction is encrypted, you're saying I can flush the encryption program, to make room for something else, and everythign stays encrypted?

That's kinda slick.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Nikoli)
It never states that Firewall is limited by response, though System and application ratings are.  That tells me that Firewall is unique in this respect.

eek.gif

Nice one, so no reason not running a top notch firewall even on your fridge.

BTW, Drones don't have a System rating: Pilot = System + AI rolled in one.

Encryption needs only to be running until the file/connection is set - that's a simple action: No need to run Encryption all the time.
Nikoli
No need to flush the program, you have more storage than god does on his PDA
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Nice one, so no reason not running a top notch firewall even on your fridge.

One might question the cost vs. benefit of ensuring that the dastardly do not wilt your lettuce. wink.gif

Encryption needs only be running until the file/connection is set - that a simple action: No need to run Encryption all the time.

Is the connection good for as long as it is on the subscriber list, or does going inactive (but remaining on the subscriber list) so it nolonger counts against your limit break the connection enough that you'll have to run Encryption again?
BlackHat
QUOTE (Nikoli)
No need to flush the program, you have more storage than god does on his PDA

LMAO

Okay, I meant flush it from the list of "active programs" .. .but yeah, might as well encrypt said fridge also, so your neighbors don't spy on what you've been eating. Especially since the rating of the encryption program is the only thing that matters, not the users skill with computers.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
One might question the cost vs. benefit of ensuring that the dastardly do not wilt your lettuce.

What cost? Crack your Programs, copy them to your hearts content... takes just some hours to do so. wink.gif

QUOTE (blakkie)
Is the connection good for as long as it is on the subscriber list, or does going inactive (but remaining on the subscriber list) so it nolonger counts against your limit break the connection enough that you'll have to run Encryption again?

The connection/file/access stays encrypted - next time you need just the correct Passkey.
blakkie
QUOTE (blakkie)
One might question the cost vs. benefit of ensuring that the dastardly do not wilt your lettuce.

What cost? Crack your Programs, copy them to your hearts content... takes just some hours to do so. wink.gif

That is theft. As a GM i do not allow Shadowrun PCs to steal. Doing so ruins the game balance.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
That is theft. As a GM i do not allow Shadowrun PCs to steal.

rotfl.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (blakkie)
That is theft. As a GM i do not allow Shadowrun PCs to steal. Doing so ruins the game balance.

Murder is probably right out then?

My GM must be really lax.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 16 2005, 10:04 AM)

Murder is probably right out then?

My GM must be really lax.

wobble.gif spin.gif rotfl.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (blakkie)
That is theft. As a GM i do not allow Shadowrun PCs to steal.

rotfl.gif

It was hard as hell saying that with a straight face. cool.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Concerning the firewalled fridge... you don't have to stop there! wobble.gif

Just upgrade it's Response, replace it's System with a Pilot and add accumulator and legs, rip the Sensors out your blimp and transplant them, then armor it... and let it follow you on your Runs. grinbig.gif
BlackHat
well, there arn't really rules for adding armor or legs... but you could TREAT it like a vehicle... pay to have it rigger-addapted... and then jump "into" the fridge.... then you would

A) get the real-time experience of BEING a fridge...

B) Find out if the light stays on when you close the door.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 16 2005, 09:31 AM)

Just upgrade it's Response, replace it's System with a Pilot and add batterie and legs, then armor it... and let it follow you on your Runs.  grinbig.gif

"No Beer and no TV makes Homer something something."

You do have to make sure to stock it with beverages and steal a satelite TRID feed to PIP up on your HUD. 'Running in style!

So cracking a program allows you unlimited copying? For some reason i thought it was only one copy per crack. Hmmm, have to go read that again.
BlackHat
I do think its one copy per crack... but still free and doesn't take very long.

I'm going to miss the SynthKitties though. WOuld be cool to have a pet cat who is also my computer. Always wanted to do that in SR3 but the kitty couldn't fit a deck.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (BlackHat)
well, there arn't really rules for adding armor or legs...

Yes, there are: I guess this qualifies as a Technical Skill test with a Treshold for an exotic device... using Automotive Mechanics. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Cracking a Program should remove the copy protection completly. wink.gif

That applies only to legally bought Programs, too...
BlackHat
Yes, there are: I guess this qualifies as a Technical Skill test with a Treshold for an exotic device... using Automotive Mechanics. wink.gif

Yeah, but then you'd have to figure out a price and speed/handeling/acceleration blah blah blah... maybe when Rigger4 comes out, there will be rules for modding a fridge... but it'd be tough.

You COULD probably weld a fridge to the back of some other vehicle... but SR4 got rid fo cargo/load ratings (for simplicity) so there's no telling which drones are strong enough/big enough to haul said fridge around.
blakkie
QUOTE (BlackHat)
I'm going to miss the SynthKitties though. WOuld be cool to have a pet cat who is also my computer. Always wanted to do that in SR3 but the kitty couldn't fit a deck.

Sure you could fit it in, but doing so gained you the flaws Hunted and Enemy (5,SPCA).
Shadow_Prophet

Just upgrade it's Response, replace it's System with a Pilot and add accumulator and legs, rip the Sensors out your blimp and transplant them, then armor it... and let it follow you on your Runs. grinbig.gif

OMG! YES!

When you're on a run and sweating hard from running from those guards and need a quick pick me up just tell the FRIDGE 9000 what your beverage of choice is and it'll bring you liquid cool refreshment even into the hottest combat zones! Need a snack too to keep you going in that gunfight, look no farther than the FRIDGE 9000! Now in stores!

LMAO

Ofcourse next years modle will come equiped with vectored thrust as well!

rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012