Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improving Attributes with karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lord Ben
To go from 9 to 10 for a troll do you count the full new number? Or the modified new #?
Lord Ben
Err, I mean to go from 9 to 10 is that 10*X or is it 6*X? Do you have to pay for the racial mods too?
Taki
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Err, I mean to go from 9 to 10 is that 10*X or is it 6*X? Do you have to pay for the racial mods too?

SR4 still induce a lot of min maxing.

Trolls need to get the max of their bod and str at the creation, its very cheap. And 2 days after, when they begin to be played, increasing those attributes is just too expansive to afford it.

I won't ever use that stupid "BP completely different than Karma cost" system.

The worst thing I have seen in sr4 yet.
Shinobi Killfist
yeah SR3 was cool in how its BP were the same as Karma.. biggrin.gif

It would be nice if costs before and after were more in touch. People tend to get in the habit then of ditching certain things because there cheap to improve. As is other than the troll with str and body you minds well start really low in stats, put your points into skills and improve stats in game since its cheap.

And to answer the question I believe you pay for the 10x3 for the rasing to 10 for the troll. Once your in game that 9 is the trolls body it isn't a modified 9(unless you got cyber or something getting you to that 9)
sapphire_wyvern
Yeah. I agitated very strongly in favour of that idea when SR4 was "still in flux", during the whole development blog period.

But even then the playtesters told me I wasn't going to get my wish. Apparently, because SR3 BeCKs is complicated, there was some concept that Karma-based character gen would have been too complex to SR4. I think the game has suffered a little for it, but it could be worse. In any case, SR4's character generation system is at least less broken than SR3's Point Buy.

White Wolf's games suffer from the same problem. They do slightly ameliorate it by not offering players as much flexibility in how the points are allocated (much of your character build resources in WW games must be spent in certain categories) but it still suffers from a huge disjoint between how characters are built and how they are advanced which makes particular build decisions very sub-optimal.
Lord Ben
Yeah, we've been playing Exalted for 2 years and I wish they could do a system that built a new PC with the same rules as a PC advances.

The original Deadlands is the same way. If you start with 1 in one skill and 4 in another it costs 5 bounty points to improve to 1/5. But if you start with 0/5 it only costs one to get to 1/5. That's a HUGE difference since you could have 5 skills at 1 and one at 5 or one skill at one and one at 5 depending on how you build the PC and then level up after one session.
Rotbart van Dainig
At least, a Karma based Generation System in SR4 is fairly easy to create...
Taki
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist)
yeah SR3 was cool in how its BP were the same as Karma..  biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Taki)

SR4 still induce a lot of min maxing.

I do like the cost of next rating to reach = next rating x X
It makes very good skills and attributes expensive, and it is quite logical.

At least FASA could have made something simpler and stick to it for Karma anyway.
Shemhazai
Making characters of non-human metatype pay vastly greater karma to raise their attributes is horribly unfair. It also grossly defies logic. Naturally strong metatypes should not need to work out more to get to the upper portion of their bell curve.

Who says a unified character building/improving system is too complicated? Complicated to the stupid? In fact, having one system is both less complicated and more concise. Use those extra pages for more melee weapons and critters, I say!
Jaid
considering the troll payed only 40 points for +4 to 2 stats (that's 80 points right there) and a maximum 6 points higher than normally possible in two different stats (that would be 240 BP to pull off there, if you broke the rules for it and allowed them to buy the quality four times for each stat), i feel very little sympathy for the troll who wants to complain about paying lots of karma for high strength scores.

of course, the troll also suffers a couple of penalties, but i don't think it's anywhere near 280 BP worth (the difference between 240 + 80 - 40), and when you add in their reach bonus, and their armor bonus... yeah, once again, i'm just having a hard time feelin' sorry.
Veggiesama
Until someone writes up a BeCKS karma-based character generation system for SR4, I'm goin with BP for character advancement. So whether you're raising your paltry Charisma from 2 to 3 or your superhuman strength from 8 to 9, you're still paying 10 BPs each time.

But if I had to go with straight Karma, I'd agree with Shemhazai. Don't include racial modifiers when you're improving attributes. Whether you feel sorry or not for trolls, still elves, dwarves, orks, and even humans would benefit from this.
Jaid
it takes like 5 seconds.

you use the chart that tells you how much karma you pay for stuff. for race, resources, and contacts, you use 1 karma = 1 BP. and you get about 425 karma.

that should enable you to come fairly close to any of the archetypes, as far as i can tell, with the exception of the sprawl ganger, which would take about 520 to build.

of course, i hadn't checked the archetypes to see if they were correctly built according to the BP system at the time, so i'm not sure how accurate that will be... but it should at least be pretty dang close. give it a whirl, see how you like it.
Veggiesama
Not exactly.

Under BP character generation, raising a skill from 0 to 6 costs 24 BP.

Under karma, raising a skill from 0 to 6 costs:
0 to 1: 4
1 to 2: 4
2 to 3: 6
3 to 4: 8
4 to 5: 10
5 to 6: 12
Total: 44 karma

So basically if someone wanted to make a karma character generation system, they'd need to take into account a lot of factors like this. Also it'd involve averaging how much it'd take to build the Sample Characters under this system and seeing how close your system comes to the original generation rules.

I wouldn't doubt if we saw 600-800 karma at character generation to make a 400 BP character, but I really have no idea.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Jaid)
considering the troll payed only 40 points for +4 to 2 stats (that's 80 points right there) and a maximum 6 points higher than normally possible in two different stats (that would be 240 BP to pull off there, if you broke the rules for it and allowed them to buy the quality four times for each stat), i feel very little sympathy for the troll who wants to complain about paying lots of karma for high strength scores.

of course, the troll also suffers a couple of penalties, but i don't think it's anywhere near 280 BP worth (the difference between 240 + 80 - 40), and when you add in their reach bonus, and their armor bonus... yeah, once again, i'm just having a hard time feelin' sorry.

I would not necessarily be against changing the amount paid to play various metatypes.

Besides, using the 20 point (overpriced in my opinion, anyway) Exceptional Attribute quality and applying it 12 times is a little ridiculous. First of all, you are applying it to IMPROVED maximum, which is max * 1.5. The difference in maximum is 4 points each, so you are down 80 BP. Now we look at the lower racial maximums for Agility, Charisma, Intelligence and Logic for a total of 5 negative points there. Since we broke the game by applying that quality 12 times, lets create a negative quality called Unexceptional Attribute and apply that 5 times for another 100 BP loss. 240 - 180 = 60.

Now, here is the kicker: Make it more costly to increase the wimpy attributes. Meaning, for a troll to increase Charisma from 1 to 2 would cost 12 Karma, not 6, because they have a 2 point racial disadvsantage. Improving the intelligence from 1 to 2 would cost 9.

Of course, this is not politically correct. The metatypes probably would end up dumber after all. Or we could just ignore it so we have more smart trolls running around, just not genius-level ones. Actually, that would be kind of nice . . . Please disregard the previous paragraph!
Jaid
no, i've done the averaging of the archetypes. in the end, that was how i decided on 425.

give it a shot. make some characters (without trying to showcase where the system is a little off... ie, don't come to me with a character that's made using BP and has 300 BP into skills, 50 into attributes, and the other 50 elsewhere =P )

now, i did miss one thing; the amount of bonus karma you get for knowledge/language skills for logic and intuition is approximately 7.5

for comparison, barring errors in my math, the archetypes are fairly close to 425 (with the exception of the enforcer, not the sprawl ganger, my mistake) :

[ Spoiler ]

now, while this is hardly a perfect fit, it's pretty danged close with the exception of the enforcer, and i have to say i think the ones that are well under are, IMO, somewhat in need of a boost anyways...

[edit] Shemhazai, you seem to have misunderstood how the racial penalties work. you still start at 1 and work your way up. for a troll to have a 2 charisma costs 6 points, exactly as it would if you improved it during play. [/edit]

oh, and for the record... the percentages are % as compared to the assumed 425 karma. 419.31 happens to be the average of all the archetype's karma.
Akilina
Your calculations dont include stats when they do coming up with a ratio is more difficlut:

0 - 1 = 4
1 - 2 = 4
2 - 3 = 6
3 - 4 = 8
4 - 5 = 10
5 - 6 = 12

Total 44 Kama
In build points it costs 24 making 1BP = 1.83 Kama

Stats however

1 - 2 = 6
2 - 3 = 9
3 - 4 = 12
4 - 5 = 15
5 - 6 = 18

Toal 60 Kama
In build points (assuming a human) it costs 65 making 1BP = 0.92 Kama

Hence the munchkin's taking skills with low stats because it is more points effective
Jaid
if you can explain to me why that last point of whatever it is should cost more than the previous 4 points purchased, i'd be happy to listen.

in any event, i can't see who/what you're correcting with that. i never did any calculations based on skills, only calculations based on the archetypes in the book. and Veggiesamma's math is exactly the same as yours.

[edit] and as far as munchkins loading up on attributes instead of skills... well, the munchkins with the BP system will just do the opposite, and then boost their attributes cheap. i fail to see how this is a problem. in any event, IMO the attributes do in fact offer too much to skills, but that's another subject entirely, for another time. [/edit]
Fortune
If you are going to let Trolls (and other metas) improve their Attributes without taking their racial bonuses into account, then they also should actually pay for their penalties (instead of just having an upper limit) at chargen.
Nkari
allso, karma to money on a 1 karma 5000 basis ?
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Fortune)
If you are going to let Trolls (and other metas) improve their Attributes without taking their racial bonuses into account, then they also should actually pay for their penalties (instead of just having an upper limit) at chargen.

Agreed. However, I'm against making all the costs the same.

You want to know why it's harder for a Troll at Strength 9 to get to 10?

Because there are no gyms that offer weights strong enough. No weightlifting machines made properly - or, if they are, they're incredibly rare and somewhat expensive.

A troll going from 9 to 10 needs to go out into the street and benchpress CARS. And who's going to spot him? No one. So that makes it even HARDER.

It's easy to go from 1 to 2 - a gymnasium is easily equipped to turn some of your flab into fab. Even if, in this case, it's not much fab, and still a lot of flab.
Fortune
Note that I wasn't arguing for all costs to be the same. I definitely agree with the principle of diminished returns. In fact, I don't really mind the system pretty much the way it is in SR4.
Serbitar
Houserules

Karma Creation System
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Houserules

Karma Creation System

*whines* they both keep timing out!
jerrico49
I know that I'm getting into this discussion a little late but I would like to add something here.

I think that the way they have seperated the BP and Karma costs is actually a good thing. I don't know if any of you have ever played Champions or not but that game suffers from the build costs being the same as the experience cost. I have seen too many good games go down the drain because the campaign gets out of control too quicky because the characters develope too quickly. The only way for the GM to control that was to severly limit experience given which had the effect of annoying the players. They began to feel that their efforts in rollplay wern't being rewarded and then the game began to stagnate because players couldn't advance their characters the way that they wanted too.

WizKids, I think, made a tough call but I think it's the right one. I know that characters will advance more slowly but at least here there are awards that can be garnered besides Karma (ie money, equipment and contacts).

So before you hack the system you might give the system as it stands a try for a little bit and see how it goes.

Thats just my opinion for what it's worth.

Grumpy & Company
Jaid
QUOTE (Nkari)
allso, karma to money on a 1 karma 5000 basis ?

yes. exactly the same as with buildpoints. if you really, really, really want, then i suppose you could count them as being only 4687.5 nuyen.gif, then you can, but considering that 25 points is only 1/16 of 400, thus meaning a 1/16 increase in points overall, i felt that keeping things at a nice even 5000 nuyen.gif was easier than going with some weird, silly number. you still can't start with more than you could before though (none of the chargen limitations were removed, just how you spend points).
QUOTE (Jerrico49)
I think that the way they have seperated the BP and Karma costs is actually a good thing. I don't know if any of you have ever played Champions or not but that game suffers from the build costs being the same as the experience cost. I have seen too many good games go down the drain because the campaign gets out of control too quicky because the characters develope too quickly. The only way for the GM to control that was to severly limit experience given which had the effect of annoying the players. They began to feel that their efforts in rollplay wern't being rewarded and then the game began to stagnate because players couldn't advance their characters the way that they wanted too.
that problem can be found in an all BP system, to some extent, but not in an all karma system. the reason you don't advance to your limit very fast in SR is the karma system, which offers diminishing returns. if it was all BP, then people would hit their skill limits much, much earlier.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Oct 14 2005, 06:17 AM)
Houserules

Karma Creation System

*whines* they both keep timing out!

You'll want to wait for it, believe me. This thing is great; I made sure to save it locally as soon as possible; if you can't get it email me and I'll send you a copy.
Shemhazai
Jaid Said:

Shemhazai, you seem to have misunderstood how the racial penalties work. you still start at 1 and work your way up. for a troll to have a 2 charisma costs 6 points, exactly as it would if you improved it during play.

I was proposing a change to the 4E rules. I apologize for not making that clear.

By the way, your technical analysis of the BP to Karma ratios is great. As you have pointed out, BP is nearly equivalent to Karma when raising Attributes to near human maximums. Less so when creating characters of more normal or even inferior attributes. A unified system would go far in getting experienced players away from thinking in terms of optimal choices. It would get them to think more about "What kind of stats do I want starting off for the kind of character I want to play?" rather than "What kind of stats must I choose to maximize my character's future potential?"

Fortune Said:

You have found the key!! Unifying the character creation and improvement with a Karma based system means that metatypes with racial penalties are in effect getting free points so that they have a 1 minimum. The idea is to make them pay without that payment being tied to the penalized attributes. Otherwise, we have dumb and ugly orks and trolls, which should not be the case. With three attributes at -1 and one at -2 perhaps they could pay 18 x 4 + 15 = 87 (Ouch!) Karma at character creation. Is this close to being fair? Remember Trolls get massive increases to Body and Strength, +1 cumulative natural armor, +1 cumulative reach and thermographic vision.

Gothic Rose Said:

Because there are no gyms that offer weights strong enough. No weightlifting machines made properly - or, if they are, they're incredibly rare and somewhat expensive.

A troll going from 9 to 10 needs to go out into the street and benchpress CARS. And who's going to spot him? No one. So that makes it even HARDER.

It's easy to go from 1 to 2 - a gymnasium is easily equipped to turn some of your flab into fab. Even if, in this case, it's not much fab, and still a lot of flab.

I work out at the cheapest gym in town and we have tons and tons and tons and tons of metal. Just make stronger (and heavier) bars.

Turning a human Sylvester Stallone into an Arnold Schwarzenegger should be the same as turning a troll Thing into The Hulk. rotfl.gif

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 14 2005, 01:43 AM)

Agreed. However, I'm against making all the costs the same.

But that should influance time, not karma cost.
Gothic Rose
I see Karma as partially the effort you have to put into doing something. Getting a skill from 6 to 7 via Karma is expensive, because it's HARD to do. It takes a lot of effort.

Getting a stat from 9 to 10 is HARD to to do, and requires a lot of effort. I would argue more effort than for a human getting 5 to 6, because, once again, it's about being at limits.

Plus, let's be honest, from a game standpoint, it's a balancing factor. Trolls have MASSIVE bonuses starting. Massive. Same with most metaraces, actually. There needs to be a balancing factor, or otherwise, what's the point of playing a human? They just suck. Utterly.

Think of it like SR3's Karma Pool system. Humans are plucky and learn from things easier (apparently) and so, it's easier for them to do some things than for meta's.
Xenith
Errr... the majority of characters I play are human, stat bonuses or no. I especially enjoy the free edge bonus humans get too. While metatypes have their advantages, its just great to be plain vanilla many a times. Then again... I'm not much of a hardcore min/maxer. smile.gif

Heck, the only other metatype I've played more than once is Ork, and thats just 'cause Orks rock! cyber.gif

However, I agree that high stats should.... well... cost that much more. Yes time is a factor but karma is an abstract and so is not really defined in many tangible ways. smile.gif

What I would like to do is have the instruction skill give you the option of it taking less time or taking less karma, based on hits. A good teacher goes a long way. twirl.gif
Gothic Rose
I thought there already was an instruction skill that could cut time down?
Xenith
There seems to be the skill, however I see zero explanations as to how it is supposed to work. Thats my malfunction with the way some of the book was put together. sleepy.gif

Edit: To clarify, it explains how to use it... but says something about the roll necessary to actually LEARN the skill and never mentions it again... ever...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
I see Karma as partially the effort you have to put into doing something. Getting a skill from 6 to 7 via Karma is expensive, because it's HARD to do. It takes a lot of effort.

Personally, I see karma cost for stat and skill increase representing the mystic energy one needs to alter one's True Pattern.

It is the only logical explination why one has to go out and commit several felonies before one can learn anything. It is also the only logical explination for why Free Spirits can use Karma and why Karma is required to build or alter an Ally. (Going back to SR3)
Shemhazai
It is the only logical explination why one has to go out and commit several felonies before one can learn anything.

Watch the movie "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle." Now I know why this is the case.

http://www.haroldandkumar.com/
Veggiesama
Troll spends 20 BP on Strength to start with a score of 7 (5 + 2).
Human spends 20 BP on Strength to start with a score of 3 (1 + 2).

Troll already spent that 40 BP to gain the benefits/drawbacks of being a troll (including min/max attribs), why should he suffer more?

If he was powergaming and realized that he would be paying (8 * 3) points to raise his attribute to 8 (rather than the human, who spent the same initial BP, raising it with (4 * 3) karma), he would realize that he should start off his strength and body at the highest possible values that he would ever possibly want to raise them, using points that he probably should be putting in lower attributes or skills.

Basically, at character generation a troll can have 9 STR, 1 CHA or 8 STR, 2 CHA. If eventually both of those builds want to have 9 STR, 2 CHA, the first example would prove much more karma-cost-efficient than the second. And that doesn't seem right to me. That's why there should be a unified creation/advancement system, but I'm digressing.

Anyway, I just think 24 pts to raise STR from 7 to 8 seems a little extreme for a below-average strength troll to become average (assuming 3 is the average stat for an unmodified human?). 12 seems a little more reasonable. Yes, it's hard to feel sorry for the big oafs, but otherwise the system would incur extreme min/maxing for all trolls, regardless of whether they want to be "extraordinarily tough" or just simply "damn tough".
Veggiesama
BTW, ignoring my rant... I've never been able to download any of SECKSY's stuff. The sites have never worked for me. I've been wanting to take a look at the karma system... can anyone send them to me [veggie-sama(at)cinci.rr.com] or paste a mirror?
Azralon
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ Oct 20 2005, 03:55 PM)
Basically, at character generation a troll can have 9 STR, 1 CHA or 8 STR, 2 CHA. If eventually both of those builds want to have 9 STR, 2 CHA, the first example would prove much more karma-cost-efficient than the second. And that doesn't seem right to me. That's why there should be a unified creation/advancement system, but I'm digressing.

"Diminishing returns" is a staple concept in many games to slow down the progress of those who are already at the high end. It's something that minmaxers count on for "efficient returns on investment" but at the same time it makes them overspecialize. Overspecializing leaves you vulnerable.

Look at it like this: It should take relatively small effort for the rudest, nastiest personality to simply stop sneering and swearing. It should take a lot more effort for an incredibly brawny person to get appreciably stronger because they're already near their limit.

I wholly agree; it's easy to see the ways to efficiently minmax SR4's chargen. They put "aftermarket" safeties in there to try to curb the worst of it (e.g.: only one Attribute at your racial max, only one skill at 6 or two at 5, no more than 35 BP in Positive Qualities, etc.).

A hardcore minmaxer will spend all 200 attribute BPs on five attributes at 5 and three at 1, with the 1's as things his race gets penalties on and the others are stuff that he get bonuses on. Then he'll spend his karma on raising the cheap attributes and be overall more potent than a guy who started gameplay as a balanced character.

And that minmaxer's GM is either going to totally exploit that character's weaknesses.... or just toss the character sheet back in the player's face before the first die is even rolled.

~~~~~

I agree that it'd be much easier on the GM if each and every BP or KP spent was worth exactly the same thing for every character. It would eliminate a lot of the unfortunate conversations that GMs are dragged into at the expense of playtime.

However, such a system just ain't gonna happen. You can get closer than SR4, sure; but then you gotta ask yourself if you'd rather spend your time creating what amounts to an entirely different system... or playing something that other people have already spent their time on for your convenience.

I see that decision as a case-by-case, myself. SR4 is hurtin' and house rules are spawning faster than American primetime shows about ghosts (seriously, what's up with this season?).
maa01
QUOTE (Azralon)
However, such a system just ain't gonna happen. You can get closer than SR4, sure; but then you gotta ask yourself if you'd rather spend your time creating what amounts to an entirely different system... or playing something that other people have already spent their time on for your convenience.

That's not true. Bigest flaw in "balance" of SR4 is that the costs of thinks are different in BP and in Karma. To solve this, all you need is system that uses the same prices for everything and there are sure plenty of them.
Nkari
If everyone is level headed its not a big deal if someone stats with 450 and another stats with 400.. Shadowrun is not a competition it is teamwork.. so I do not need 100% fair rules imho.. but thats just me I guess..

tho the _huge_ karma sink to raise stam to 10 is well not that huge when you think of it, its not going to be the first thing you raise, it will be raised when you have done most other things to your liking. I mean it costs no more than it costs to raise a active skill group to 6, and lets face it, attributes are much more used now than they where before. And again, it is one of the drawbacks with being a troll.. your physical attributes is a huge points sink compared to humans, but guess what? You are that much better in those departments to.
Azralon
QUOTE (maa01 @ Oct 21 2005, 07:11 AM)
Bigest flaw in "balance" of SR4 is that the costs of thinks are different in BP and in Karma. To solve this, all you need is system that uses the same prices for everything and there are sure plenty of them.

My position is that there are many balance flaws in SR4 and they cannot be adequately reconciled without multiple system reworks.

Fortunately, as Nkari mentioned, game balance is ultimately irrelevant to any given group of players if they want it to be. Unfortunately, it's easier (or at least, simpler) to follow pregenerated rules than to be "sagely cavalier."
Mystery Mantis
ok, i honestly dont think it matters if the way things are bought in creation is different from how they advance.
i mean seriously, how does one effect the other? at least in the grande' sense that some seem to be calling unbalanced or "min/max friendly?"
(after all, if there is a system in place, people will find a way to abuse it) I mean one is creation (where you start), and the other advancing (where you end up).
it seems like there are two arguments going on here. one is that both creation and advancement should be the same system. the other is that it takes too much karma to advance already high stats higher or even to there maximums. or perhaps i missed the point of it all? i'll chaeck again to see where it is going...

i jsut got the book finally, and havent had the chance to do a full read, let alone play, but i have to admit i am more on the possitive side than the negative. though i have noticed a few flaws. (this last bit was jsut a bit of off topic stuff, since this is not only my first post in a long time, but since sr4 was released.)
rotate.gif made an ork as my first sample char. his name is blubbs if anyone wanted to know.
Chandon
Mystery mantis, here's the simple summary version:
If you don't min-max during character generation you are penalized during character advancement. A number of people think it should work differently, and are suggesting various changes that would fix the problem.

Simple Example: Bob wants to have both his strength and body at 6, but he only has 50 build points to spend on them. If he decides to min max, he can get one to 6 for 50 BP, leaving the other at 1. Later it will cost him 2*3+3*3+4*3+5*3+6*3=60 karma to get the other stat to a 6. If he instead tried to build a balanced character, putting one stat at 3 and the other at 4, he'd need to spend 4*3+5*3+6*3+5*3+6*3=78 karma to get both to 6. If Bob chooses not to min-max, he is penalized 18 karma for his choice.

There are a number of other examples, but that's probably the most obvious. Other areas with problems include buying skills, the choice of skills vs. attributes, and the choice of buying positive qualities.
Shemhazai
People seem to be overlooking some good reasons to unify character creation and advancement.

First, players will only need to learn one system and not two. Second, the pages in the chapter Running the Shadows concerning improving characters can be omitted, shortening the book a bit or making room for something else.

Of course, the best reasons involve not encouraging players to create characters with goofy stats. One system means that the player isn't under "now or never" pressure to max out certain things. They will create cool characters based on how they want to play.
Nkari
If you create with goofy stats, and does not have a good justification for it.. Ill tell you to remake the character.. simple as that.. or I will exploit that weakness in the character more than I would do in a normal character.. speaking as a GM/ST.. This is only a problem in groups with to lenient ST's imho.. remember tho that the ST shouldnt be cruel tho.. (cept when to punish stupidity)
Jaid
see, the GM keeping an eye on things works wonders when the GM has spent 20 years playing SR (or even just roleplaying games or similar things in general).

however, when you have a new GM, one who is new to the system, (s)he is relying on the system being balanced in such a way that (s)he can rely on it. thus, relying on GMs is not always viable.

also, what do you do to punish a character who buys 1 skill at 5 instead of 5 skills at 1? to some extent, the person who took 1 skill at 5 is min/maxing a better character than the person who has 5 skills at 1.

if they both wanted 5 different skills at 5, the first person will pay 128 karma, the second person will pay 140. so why does the second player pay 12 more karma?

he certainly wasn't min/maxing. why did he get 'punished'? and how would you punish the first guy for taking his skills all as high as they will go? it isn't a terribly wrong thing to focus in a few specific areas. he has simply made the choice to be more specialised at first. assuming you even realise he made the decision, even though he wanted 5 skills at 5, how are you going to tell until he buys all those skills later? how are you going to know that's what motivated his decision, as opposed to just not feeling the need for those skills at the time?
Crusher Bob
Here's my thread on the same subject. My costs are based on the 'base stat' so this does avoid the 'trolls pay more' problem that some people are complaining about. I can mail out the excel files I was using if anyone is interested.
Orient
If you're designing a Karma instead of BP system, one of the things you should think about is that the BP system uses a linear progression (except for that last stat point). The Karma system doesn't. If you scale the Karma given to make a character so that characters with average stats & skills come out about on par with BP-system characters with average stats & skills, then it'll tend to be accurate *only* for characters in that range. If characters are built with particularly high and/or low stats, then the system won't hold.

Jaid
yes, but there is no longer any incentive to give yourself a horrible weakness now in order to give yourself a huge advantage later.

if someone wants to be somewhat decent at a lot of things, and really good at one thing, then good for them. meanwhile, any time that one thing isn't happening, they will be incredibly bored, because they are useless most of the time and incredible only every now and then. generally speaking, the urge to make your character with all extremes isn't as much present in either of the proposed unified systems, because it costs you the same, ultimately, to make a character regardless of when you chose your skills/attributes.
Mystery Mantis
QUOTE (Chandon)
Mystery mantis, here's the simple summary version:
If you don't min-max during character generation you are penalized during character advancement. A number of people think it should work differently, and are suggesting various changes that would fix the problem.

Simple Example: Bob wants to have both his strength and body at 6, but he only has 50 build points to spend on them. If he decides to min max, he can get one to 6 for 50 BP, leaving the other at 1. Later it will cost him 2*3+3*3+4*3+5*3+6*3=60 karma to get the other stat to a 6. If he instead tried to build a balanced character, putting one stat at 3 and the other at 4, he'd need to spend 4*3+5*3+6*3+5*3+6*3=78 karma to get both to 6. If Bob chooses not to min-max, he is penalized 18 karma for his choice.

and my simple summary...

no matter how they get the numbers to begin with, it will cost that same amount of karma in the end to advance anyway. say you have your unified system, they can still jsut choose to take a stat at 6 and a stat at 1. then factor in all your math (nice work btw, but i would have jsut taken your word for it. though not many probably would have, but i also am too lazy to check it or anything.), and it is the same numbers in the end.
also, would your unified system reflect and utilize the same concepts in the current one? ergo, no more than one attribute at max, having to pay more to raise it to max, only half your bp to spend on it? unless it is jsut a numbers conversion, then your also comparing apples and oranges, becuase a different system would likely have pitfalls as well that get around the idea of balanced character generation.
and as for the penalty for taking a balanced character....
ok, is not having to focus on raising your weakness a penalty of its self? in doing so, you will fall behind in other areas that you may also want to raise, such as edge, or secondary skills, or magic stuff that needs bonded, so on and so on. if you look at pure number crunch, one way is clearly better. but look at it in game terms, you have to go with a stat of one. in the example it would be body or strength. i think a body of 1 would be plenty obvious of why that is a dissadvantage. a strength of 1 gives even dull gms something funny to toy with. "hey, you want to climb that fence? sure, threshold 2." or, "well, you fell of the bridge and into the river. need to swim, threshold 2. gonna need to test every 10 feet." or "anything stregth related that is detrimental to you, threshold 2."
(these examples come from nothing i looked up, so if skills are not tied to proper attribute, sorry. its the message that counts)
in any case, all that aside, after chargen, all you are left with is numbers that get raised by karma. and that is why it doesn't matter, becuase as long as you can still just choose what they are, people can still jsut choose to take a stat of 1, and a stat of 6.

someone also mentioned the thing about it would make the book shorter cuase they can leave out the advancement chapter. That would likely still exist, and the current ammount of space it takes doesn't even equal 2 full pages. possibly it would shorten the part on chargen? who knows. if you write a better version, i can at least do you the courtesy of reading it.
well, time for bed, 5:30 am comes pretty early. sepecially when its almost 1 am. sleepy.gif
Xenith
Something I thought was wierd is that, in character creation, stats cost more than skill groups. Wouldn't be so bad, but stats cost FAR less than skill groups in karma progression. Thats just wonky. I'd love to know the justification for that, and I might even accept it if it makes enough sense...

The more I read the book, the more it seems like the largest flaws in the book might have merely been because of writter/developer miscommunication. I imagine that once much of the confusion is cleared up, many will be even more happy with it than they already are. I know I will be. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012