Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weapon focus question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
craigpierce
when buying a weapon focus, do you use a weapon that is already made with the proper amount of Orchilum (sp?), or does the weapon get made as the focus gets made?

and if you use a weapon that is pre-built, then is the cost for a weapon focus just for the focus part?
hyzmarca
When buying the focus the weapon doesn't matter at all except for its reach. It is only when making a weapon focus that one gets bonuses for using virgin telesma.

If you were having one of your weapons enchanted then you would only pay for the enchantment. If you were buying a pre-enchnated weapon then you would pay for both.
craigpierce
the part i'm most focused on is the cost part...

is the cost listed in the book for a weapon focus just the magical part? so if you bought the weapon and focus together then you'd combine the cost of the normal weapon with the cost of the focus?

and does the cost of the focus include the Orchilum? if not then...

cost of normal weapon + cost of O + cost of focus?

'cuz the cost of the focus alone is already way the hell up there...
Shockwave_IIc
The Orichilum cost is included in the price of the Focus. The weapon cost i believe isn't however given the Cost of the Foci, most GM's im sure will allow for basic weapons to be free (Swords staffs etc.) you just pay for the focus.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
...most GM's im sure will allow for basic weapons to be free...

i just need to be sure what would be most 'canon'...i'm writing a computer program and need to keep things along 'canon' lines...

what i'm gathering is that it would be weapon focus cost + weapon cost...

anyone disagree?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (archimagus)
the part i'm most focused on is the cost part...

is the cost listed in the book for a weapon focus just the magical part? so if you bought the weapon and focus together then you'd combine the cost of the normal weapon with the cost of the focus?

and does the cost of the focus include the Orchilum? if not then...

cost of normal weapon + cost of O + cost of focus?

'cuz the cost of the focus alone is already way the hell up there...

The cost is the cost of the enchantment and everything associtaed with it, this includes orihalcum that the enchanted uses, if any. According to the enchantment rules in MitS orihahalcum isn't necessary for enchantment, it just makes the process easier for the enchanter.

Generaly, you would just pay cost of normal weapon + cost of the focus.

However, you only pay the cost of the focus depending on what you are getting and who you are getting it from. A fully hand-made katana focus created by a Japanese Living National Treasure probably wouldn't include a 1,000 mark-up for the cost of a generic mass-produced katana. In this regard, it is more of a flavor issue than a rules issue. The cost of the weapon is insignificant compared to the cost of the focus, anyway.

My interperation is that, if the weapon is made of Virgin telesma as part of the focus, then you only pay for the focus. If the weapon is manufactured and then enchanted you pay for both.
craigpierce
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 14 2005, 09:07 PM)
According to the enchantment rules in MitS orihahalcum isn't necessary for enchantment, it just makes the process easier for the enchanter.

QUOTE (SR3 Pg. 191)
All weapon foci require the magical metal orichalcum (or-i-cal-cum) in their construction.

so that's why i am under the impression that you need to have a weapon constructed (not just buy one off the shelf)

the cost of the weapon focus is:

(((Reach + 1) * 100000) + (Force * 90000))

so does that cost include the orichalcum or does it not? for now, i'm going to say that it does, and that you take that cost and only add the cost of the weapon to it, unless anyone disagrees?
Bearclaw
Yes, that cost includes everything put into it, including the huge amount of time by skilled craftsmen and mages. The only other thing you must pay is the karma to bond with it.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Sep 15 2005, 09:42 AM)
Yes, that cost includes everything put into it, including the huge amount of time by skilled craftsmen and mages.  The only other thing you must pay is the karma to bond with it.

so do you agree that you add the base weapon cost to the focus cost, or when you say "everything" you include the weapon in that?

sorry to harp on this...i just want to get it as correct as i can and the book is fuzzy on specifics.
Bearclaw
Unless I'm terribly confused, you make a weapon focus from scratch. The cost of the weapon is included, because it is created by the process.
craigpierce
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Sep 15 2005, 11:07 AM)
Unless I'm terribly confused, you make a weapon focus from scratch.  The cost of the weapon is included, because it is created by the process.

that sounds good to me (at least it would mean less programming for me rotate.gif )

actually i think i'm going to give the user the choice of keeping the cost included in the focus price or adding the cost of a custom-made weapon. that way, no matter how you play it at home, it'll all mesh.

GMing personally, i would probably make the player have the weapon made including the orichalcum, since i doubt there are many mages out there that know how to craft a weapon too.
Cain
Okay, you're confusing two different costs here.

The first cost is that of buying a premade weapon focus. In this case, you're paying (Focus cost) + (Weapon Cost). By canon, all you have to pay is the base cost of the weapon, although you're free to pay more if you want something more exotic. The orichalcum is included in the Focus cost.

The second cost is that of making one from scratch. In this case, you've got to buy all the components, which includes the orichalcum. MitS does not mention the cost of creating the telesma; but if you're using virgin telesma and making it from scratch, all you have to pay for is the raw materials. Presumably, any excess cost is negligable-- you have to provide the labor to make the weapon, possess the correct B/R skill, and so on.

Do note, however, that MitS does not say that weapon foci require orichalcum. This has led to all sorts of debate, since the BBB says they all have it. Be sure to check with your GM on this one.
Faenor
here's a question that was posed to me by a player (theoretical, of course and off topic slightly):
if an adept is going to get a cyberarm, can he have said cyberarm enchanted to be a weapon focus before it is installed?
Trax
If so, hopefully he's not a troll, because that will be even more expensive. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Faenor)
if an adept is going to get a cyberarm, can he have said cyberarm enchanted to be a weapon focus before it is installed?

Yes, in the same manner as an Adept could use Weapon Focus Hardliner Gloves.
Halabis
Wouldnt his arm then always be astraly active? Although on the plus side his cybergun would now acompany him into the astral! (to bad it would just be a club)
Fortune
QUOTE (Halabis)
Wouldnt his arm then always be astraly active?

No more than any other Focus. Any Weapon Focus can be activated and deactivated at will.
hahnsoo
Of course, the bare minimum TN for that enchanting test is 17 (6 for Weapon Focus, 10 for Object Resistance, and 1 for Force). With 3 Alchemical Radicals, you can reduce it down to 13, and of course, there's always Orichalcum (but you're going to be using a lot of this anyway because it's a weapon focus, with a high First Bonding cost). It's expensive (mostly in terms of the orichalcum cost), but doable.
Cain
QUOTE (Faenor)
here's a question that was posed to me by a player (theoretical, of course and off topic slightly):

Yes, for all the reasons listed above. However, he'd be better off enchanting a cyberspur or handblade as a focus-- those can be made from virgin telesma.
Apathy
I vaguely remember reading something about foci being much more durable than the base materials they were made of would suggest, but don't remember the specifics.

If you made a weapon focus from virgin telesma (dug your own ore, refined it yourself, etc.) it would probably end up somewhat brittle, and certainly wouldn't have the strength associated with modern alloys. Does the fact that it's a weapon focus somehow compensate?

I'd be pretty frustrated if I blew dozens of karma on a katana weapon focus, only to have it shatter as soon as I swung hard at the big metal drone...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012