Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wireless considerations.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyxll
Wireless in SR4 is here to stay, there is no disputing that. There are some other impacts that wireless will have on the urban sprawl.

Security forces detecting PAN's and wireless:

I believe that in the near future police and security forces will start looking for unauthorized people accessing networks. The network admins will be more actively polling their networks for intrusions. There will be new laws and prosecutions of people accessing private networks like that poor sap in florida who logged onto some lazy sod's home network.

Wireless makes an admin's life hell at times since you allow anyone capable of broadcasting the chance to enter.

This means alot more traffic, but there will be intelligent filters that will start filtering packets like spam filters do.

There will be packets flagged as a high threat that admins would check on manually and based on the finding adjust the filters. Out in an open lot or street there will be a great deal of wireless noise. In a controlled facility, the noise will be known and filtered out so any new signals will be easy to detect. (an admin would teach the system about legit and garbage signals just like the current spam setup.) That would be at the router/firewall level. (some isp's block ports and ip numbers of other isps to reduce hacks and spam.

Internally after that, there would be a second layer of defense that would validate authentication. Too many attempts at this level would alert the admin. This would be like a VPN appliance. If you get though this layer you are now issued an ip on the lan, and can start your intrusion process.

Another side effect of wireless would be a change of building materials used in construction. As science advances there will be safer signals but as the signal strengths and number increase I suspect that there will be some damaging finding that will show the negative affects rf signals can have on the human body.

As such and also with security in mind building materials that include more wireless signal blocking materials. Drywall, brick and glass that block RF, would help a company seal networks inside and block external noise. Cars will start to include more copper and aluminum to block signals and have an external antennae for devices inside the vehicle.

I can see this becoming part of a new stardard as society discovers the side effects of a high RF environment. That would make wireless lan a little more secure, and more appealing to corps.

As for PANs, I can see a commlinks being able to recieve AR information from localities is a cool idea. I cannot see every device on or in the human body being wired. I just do not envision the broad paradigm shift that is presented to us in SR4.

blakkie
There will be packets flagged as a high threat that admins would check on manually and based on the finding adjust the filters. Out in an open lot or street there will be a great deal of wireless noise. In a controlled facility, the noise will be known and filtered out so any new signals will be easy to detect. (an admin would teach the system about legit and garbage signals just like the current spam setup.) That would be at the router/firewall level. (some isp's block ports and ip numbers of other isps to reduce hacks and spam.

That's why if you are up to no good you need to be constantly spoofing the datatrail by falsifying your ID.

Internally after that, there would be a second layer of defense that would validate authentication. Too many attempts at this level would alert the admin. This would be like a VPN appliance. If you get though this layer you are now issued an ip on the lan, and can start your intrusion process.

I believe that is what the SR "Firewall" is. You run a Stealth program to hide from detection while you crack in and gain authentication.

As such and also with security in mind building materials that include more wireless signal blocking materials. Drywall, brick and glass that block RF, would help a company seal networks inside and block external noise. Cars will start to include more copper and aluminum to block signals and have an external antennae for devices inside the vehicle.

eek.gif Effectively blocking the people inside from accessing the Matrix? -Maybe- with the building, but they've got a hardline coming in then. Such cars you'll only be selling to luddites.
Nyxll

That's why if you are up to no good you need to be constantly spoofing the datatrail by falsifying your ID.

Agreed, but it makes isolating new signals easier. People have been talking about
all of the background rf signals making finding the needle of a hacker difficult in the RF haystack.

I believe that is what the SR "Firewall" is. You run a Stealth program to hide from detection while you crack in and gain authentication.

You are correct, usually the firewall handle the vpn access. I was just trying to clarify this as a second step, that is why I listed it seperatly, but thanks for the correction.

Effectively blocking the people inside from accessing the Matrix? -Maybe- with the building, but they've got a hardline coming in then.

I guess I still have a problem envisioning a system the entire infrastructure is wireless. There would be way too much noise is every single machine was a repeater and received and broadcast internet traffic. There would still need to be major routing points. A building would have a single exit point, which I believe would be optic because of the speed... but if you are an adopter of the wireless theory there would still be a major hub it would transmit too. There would be a wired link between the inside of the building and the wireless transmission disc on the roof.

Such cars you'll only be selling to luddites.

With all of the wireless devices, and advertising as you walk down the street, it would be much quieter to be in the car, safe from the world's spam.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nyxll)

Effectively blocking the people inside from accessing the Matrix? -Maybe- with the building, but they've got a hardline coming in then.

I guess I still have a problem envisioning a system the entire infrastructure is wireless. There would be way too much noise is every single machine was a repeater and received and broadcast internet traffic. There would still need to be major routing points. A building would have a single exit point, which I believe would be optic because of the speed... but if you are an adopter of the wireless theory there would still be a major hub it would transmit too. There would be a wired link between the inside of the building and the wireless transmission disc on the roof.

The overall system is built as a peer-to-peer self-routing mesh, with private subscriber networks (like your PAN) within it. It is possible that buildings with a central system that require huge amounts of bandwidth have a hardline.

Such cars you'll only be selling to luddites.

With all of the wireless devices, and advertising as you walk down the street, it would be much quieter to be in the car, safe from the world's spam.

"It's quiet Martha. Too quiet."

Agreed, but it makes isolating new signals easier. People have been talking about
all of the background rf signals making finding the needle of a hacker difficult in the RF haystack.

Not nessasarily. The more IDs there are floating around and coming and going the easier it is to hide activity in it. More IDs to look like, more IDs to hide data flow under, etc.

The RF stuff is separate, because that's not about the IDs themselves.
Nyxll
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Sep 15 2005, 12:05 PM)

The overall system is built as a peer-to-peer self-routing mesh, with private subscriber networks (like your PAN) within it. It is possible that buildings with a central system that require huge amounts of bandwidth have a hardline.

Have you ever been on an IPX or network setup with WINS? it slows down after 40 connections. Peer to peer works as long as there is another layer to manage and route the traffic. This is why DNS and routing was setup. Peer to peer noise is just too unweildly. I have not seen evidence of another layer in the book.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Sep 15 2005, 12:45 PM)
Have you ever been on an IPX or network setup with WINS?  it slows down after 40 connections.  Peer to peer works as long as there is another layer to manage and route the traffic.  This is why DNS and routing was setup.  Peer to peer noise is just too unweildly. I have not seen evidence of another layer in the book.

What do you mean you haven't seen any evidence? You just pointed some out. wink.gif You expect them to list all the networking layers? eek.gif rotfl.gif These are abstracted rules for a fantasy game.
Shadow_Prophet
I have to agree with blakkie here. At some point you step over the micromanagement line. Where you give too much to worry about and have to keep track of. Which was one of the flaws of the old matrix systme with the security sheath you had to set up and keep track of all the ratings for the nodes the decker was crossing.

now with the looser system you can micromanage as much as you want or glide throughwithout having to worry about every little detail
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
I have to agree with blakkie here. At some point you step over the micromanagement line. Where you give too much to worry about and have to keep track of. Which was one of the flaws of the old matrix systme with the security sheath you had to set up and keep track of all the ratings for the nodes the decker was crossing.

...and the memory size for each of the programs loaded. dead.gif
Nyxll
I was not expecting them to explain each layer, I was giving some examples of similar models that are so noisy they bog down. from all of the slashdotting and reading I have done, peer to peer is not the next evolution of the internet.

I guess you are right about the micromanagement, but the approach just seems so freaking wrong. It just works has never been good enough for me, even way back in elementary school. (yes I used to disrupt class all the time till the teacher explained more)

I do not have problems with ideas that are fantasy and abstract... tell me there is a plasma cannon and I can accept that, I do not even have to know how it works ... I can formulate something. What I have a problem with is accepting ideas that are based on non-scalable ideas or broken mechanics.

As for decking in any version I am still trying to work out a simple set of small rules for myself then have them shot down here when I have the coherantly formulated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012