> What most deadly character can you create?, ... with crazy amount of Karma
Kremlin KOA
post Nov 2 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #26

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,650

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 2 2005, 07:59 AM)
then why does it have it's own cap of doubling the skill rating?

Because there was one in SR3. :wobble: And yes, i'm serious.

Issue with that... if that were the case, as one of the first noted errors, it would have been put into errata by now.

That being said.. specific user permissions usually override group permissions

therefore specific abilities with a different cap in their description to the overall cap would probably use their specific ability cap instead of the global cap
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 2 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #27

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 2 2005, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 2 2005, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 2 2005, 07:59 AM)
then why does it have it's own cap of doubling the skill rating?

Because there was one in SR3. :wobble: And yes, i'm serious.

Issue with that... if that were the case, as one of the first noted errors, it would have been put into errata by now.

That being said.. specific user permissions usually override group permissions

therefore specific abilities with a different cap in their description to the overall cap would probably use their specific ability cap instead of the global cap

Er, they are two different limits. One limits the levels of the power, the other limits the Skill itself. As well there are obscure cases where it could come into play, such as with skill-wires (depending on how you rule those interacting with Improved Ability).

There is another duel limit thing like this with bound foci both in the overall rules and specifically in chargen. The one at chargen actually allows more than the one in play, so no that is a dubious assumption you make.

It wasn't an outright has to be fixed error, though clarification sure would help a lot. :) It'll help to read the whole thread i'm thinking of, i'll try to find it and link it.

P.S. So which Adept Powers do you think fall under the modified Skill cap?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 2 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #28

Dragon

Here. Make sure to slog through the 3 pages as the whole of the relavent conversation is wound in among the rest the thread.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Nov 2 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #29

Shooting Target

Okay I agree that it SHOULD be limited to the midified skill rating.. only that in the RAW it sdays it does not modify the skill only provide bonus dice to roll... and then sets it;s own cap which is greater than the modified skill cap

I know of the fact that a similar cap existed in SR3

but until they errata it the cap is where it is... even with all that a starting hackadept could start with hacking at 10 dice and all other computer stuff at 6 dice... still maing him better than fastjack :P

oh and if you go the way of ALL major NPCs suddenly become adepts... well I guess they did say it would end up more like exalted

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 2 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #30

Dragon

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 2 2005, 08:47 AM)
Okay I agree that it SHOULD be limited to the midified skill rating.. only that in the RAW it sdays it does not modify the skill only provide bonus dice to roll...

That is the difficult to notice bit i mention above. I give a better explaination of how and why i read it the way i do in this post here. Basically it is confusion created by poor terminology definition and use. :(

P.S. Make sure to read that other thread too.

EDIT:

oh and if you go the way of ALL  major NPCs suddenly become adepts... well I guess they did say it would end up more like exalted

That is why i expect 'ware in the supplement books to help close that 3 dice power gap somehow. Till then the Adepts will get the advantage due to having had their enhancement be a very quick to describe, widely covering Power as opposed to specialized 'ware. :/ *shrug*

EDIT2:

And i don't expect all major NPCs to be the tip-toppiest in skills. If you really want them to be superhuman don't bother to give them stats.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 2 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #31

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (KOA)

That is specious reasoning. Typographical errors are fundamentally different game mechanical disagreements. The first allows for one type setter to go in and figure out the correct statement and write it in. The second requires all the authors who worked on the project to get together and argue out their actual combined opinions.

For example: the spirits have the wrong stat line. But the wrongness is that they have a cut-and-paste error for their reaction attribute. Which means that noone has actually written the correct reaction attribute for them. It isn't a matter of changing the multiplier to addition, an Earth Spirit should probably actually have its agility penalty split into a -1 to Agility and reaction.

So yeah, when it comes to writing new rules, that's going to take a while.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 3 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #32

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

Hmm... How about the following example of "most deadly?"

Elf Magician w/ Charisma 8, Willpower 5, Summoning 6, Binding 7 (aptitude), both with specializations in Fire Spirits. Mentor Spirit (Fire Bringer). A magic rating of 6. A decent edge score. A well-connected talismonger contact. And an Improve Charisma spell.

We'll be reasonably conservative in going over the availability (a charisma 8 elf can get a lot of successes in tests to find gear) and stick with force 4 foci.

Force 4 Power Focus, Force 4 sustaining focus (health spells).

Since you'll have to raise one of the skills from 4 to 6 after chargen, and bind your foci, you have to spend 66 karma. That leaves you with ~234. Initiate :) You'll hit magic 11, with a few karma to spare.

Cast your improve charisma spell until you get 4 hits. This brings Charisma to 12.

For summoning Fire Elementals, you get 25 dice. For binding, this is 26. Summon a dozen!! force 11 fire elementals, and bind them. Use edge if necessary; most times it won't be. You'll likely have a very high number of services. Their stats will be

Bod 12, Agi 13, Rea 33 (or 14, if you are sane), Str 9, C, I, L, W, Edg 11. They will have skills at rating 11. Thus, they can use their 11 DV ranged attack with 24 dice to hit -- about the equivalent of 40 dice if they use edge. And, of course, their hardened armor will make them almost invincible.

If you're feeling adventurous, or have edge left over, summon some of them at higher force, and risk physical damage. Adding 5 edge to your binding test gives you even odds against a force 18 fire elemental for the binding test.

And one in the chamber -- don't forget to summon one spirit (unbound) no more than 8 hours before the encounter, to bring your total elementals to a baker's dozen.

I'd give this summoned army equal odds against the army of mindless grenade tossers. If edge was used to grab a force 18 or two, I'd even give it decent odds against loyalty six Lofwyr. Unless, of course, someone dispells the charisma spell, and turns 1/3 of the spirits loose...

It's worth noting that force 11 spirits aren't out of the realm of possibility for starting characters, either...

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 3 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #33

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Feshy)
I'd give this summoned army equal odds against the army of mindless grenade tossers.

Bring it!

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 3 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #34

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 3 2005, 10:37 AM)
I'd give this summoned army equal odds against the army of mindless grenade tossers.

Bring it!

Spirits gain immunity to normal weapons when they materialize. That gives Force x 2 hardened armor.

In the case of the force 11 spirits, that's a minimum of 22 DV that must be done by a grenade (10 net successes -- against those insane spirit reactions), to even have any effect at all. And after that, it can still be resisted.

In the case of the occasional force 18 spirit, you'd need 24 net hits to harm it with a grenade -- nearly impossible even with high edge expenditure. A single force 18 spirit, while conjureable and potentially bindable by the mage I outlined, is essentially unstoppable to the suicide horde.

So I take back what I said before about even odds -- it's pretty much a sure thing ;)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 3 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #35

Shooting Target

I'm not using grenades, silly. Foam.

EDIT, Fun Facts Follow:

166 kg of Rating 15 foam explosives would cost 249k nuyen.

Assuming a mere 3 hits on the Logic+Demolitions test, that brings the DV of the whole wad (if it was set off all at once) to 18 x 12.88 = 231 DV. Circular blast formula says the total radius of effect is about 116 meters.

If I wanted to split up the foam among the 71 zealots, they'd each get 2.33 kg. Assuming 3 hits on the Demo test again, that's an approximate 27 DV per toadie.

I think I'd put the foam into chest-mounted shaped charges and tell them to hug the targets if they can (to get the half-armor trick). If not, at least die facing their victims.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Nov 4 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #36

Shooting Target

dress them in black Lycra
give them white face paint
Claymore Mimes

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 4 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #37

Shooting Target

Ow.

I think you just did Essence damage with that.

EDIT: Crap, now he's got me picturing them wielding cream pies made of explosive foam.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 4 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #38

Moving Target

Ah, the brokenness of Foam. That does turn the battle back to your favor, but it's not un-winnable. The elementals have the advantage of range, and can "unmanifest" with a held action to escape a blast. It'd be an interesting and extremely destructive battle.

That said, Foam is totally broken.

1 kilo of Commercial Explosives will do 3 DV. doubled against barriers it's on, it MIGHT break a moderate door.
9 kilos (about 20 lbs, picture a hefty bag of sand) would do 9 DV. An entire 20 lb bag of explosives laying on the chest of a normal human, set off... probably won't kill him.

1 kilo of rating 15 foam will do 15 DV. Doubled against barriers, 1 kilo will absolutely destroy a steel beam, and will most likely bring the steel re-enforced concrete pilars of modern highrises down buckling. Needless to say, it will also kill a person, whereas the "sack - o - boom" would not.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want 20 lbs of even the most primitve explosive (Black Powder) set on my chest. Presumably, corps of the 2070's can out-produce the ancient chinese, so this value seems quite low to me.

On the other end, I shudder to think at the power that must be contained in a 1kg package of foam that could take out a multilane suspension bridge. I think that has to be well into the "nu-clear" (to quote the US pres.) range of output, and that little won't even begin a cascading reaction (assuming plutonium or the like).

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 4 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #39

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Yeah, commercial explosives have always been a little (read: a lot) wonky in Shadowrun. I remember doing math in some previous edition, and coming up with the fact it took more than 2 kilos of basic C-4 (or whatever) in order for an explosion to break through whatever sturdy glass jar you carried the C-4 (or whatever) in.

Something's wrong with that.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.