IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monofiliment Whip Weapon Foci?, yay or nay?
Would you allow a monofiliment whip weapon foci?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 121
Guests cannot vote 
Demon_Bob
post Dec 3 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,226

Something started on another thread that seemed to be taking it off subject.

Besides, being no specific rules against it. I could see it as being possible.
Any special weapon materials needed for the weapon foci could be in the handle and weight. A thin mystical link could run along the wire between the two. Causing it to have enchanted properties.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 3 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I think rules wise it is technically possible, but would be very difficult to make, difficult to find, expensive to bond, expensive to make, much more expensive to buy, and make you quite the target for everyone else who wanted one.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Dec 3 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (stevebugge)
and make you quite the target for everyone else who wanted one.

thats the fun bit

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 3 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

There are no specific rules that bar my street sam from being able to shoot lasers from his eyes....Nowhere in the book does it say I can't do that...

Regardless of that, in my opinion I think it would be okay to have a mono-whip focus....

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 3 2005, 03:10 AM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Squinky)
There are no specific rules that bar my street sam from being able to shoot lasers from his eyes....Nowhere in the book does it say I can't do that...

Actually, there is a book (M&M) that says that you can do exactly that.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 3 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

M&M?

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Dec 3 2005, 03:22 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

Man & Machine.

However, eidolon forgot to mention that it is a 3rd edition book, so its applications in a discussion of 4th edition rules are dubious.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 3 2005, 03:29 AM
Post #8

ghostrider

Apologies. Yes, it is 3rd edition.

I neglected to clarify because I refuse to accept the nonsense level required to "forget" how things have worked in a game world that's been established for years. The world doesn't change just because the target number did. ;)

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Dec 3 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

You must be bellowing with rage every time you flip the page in the SR4 corebook then. ;)

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 3 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #10

ghostrider

I did for a while. Then I just stopped trying to think I could ever like any of it. :D

QUOTE (my sig)
!SR4

Now I ignore the fact that it exists. Sad in a way, since I'll never be able to just buy myself a shiny new SR sourcebook. Nice in a way, since now I can just write my own and there'll never be an "official" contradiction.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 3 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (eidolon)
The world doesn't change just because the target number did.

Oh, yeah. Take a look at SR1.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 3 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #12

ghostrider

Fine, Mr. I like to create an argument of semantics when the point being made was obvious.

The world doesn't regress just because the target number changes.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 3 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

ah, here's a good answer as in, awakenings page 102.

technological enchancments to melee weapons such as monofilament edges, laster attachmetns, dikote and so on do not allow the character to inflict additional damage when fighting a manifest spirit...  Any other damage enchancments do not carry the force of the characters living will and cannot affect the spirit

So you could make a monofilament focus, it'd just act like a piece of string with a wieght at one end and a handle at the other as far as damage to the spirit!

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 3 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

That's:

1. Out of context, because it refers to the "attack of will" action that currently does not exist in SR4.
2. 2nd edition material.

We aren't talking about using your willpower to hurt a spirit in melee with a mundane item, we are talking about using a frickin weapon focus. Remember that in 4th edition, the rule that spirits ignored the armor penetrating capabilities of APDS is gone. So a magical monowhip would do the damage of a magical monowhip. And even in 4th edition, the rule you are (mis)quoting only applied to mundane weaponry, not to weapon foci.

And indeed, a 4th edition weapon focus says:

The damage of the weaponis the same on the astral plane as it is in the physical world.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 3 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

IMHO weapon foci work either because they convey the concept of 'weapon' or because creatures in astral space can still be harmed by the physicality of weapon attacks (IE: they are hurt by being cut/blugdgeoned just like any physical being is hurt). In either case, the fact that different-weapon weapon-foci have different damage codes shows that physically or conceptually different weapons do different amounts of damage.

If both the concept and physicality of the monowhip say that it does 8P damage, then IMHO a monowhip weapon focus should do 8P damage on teh astral plane.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 3 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #16

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (eidolon)

..you didn't take a look at SR2, did you?

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Dec 3 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

Now, it has been a long time, but I thought that in order for weapon focii to be viable (ie, "present" on the other planes) they had to be made of a specified quanitiy of orichalcum. Now I know one could make an orichalcum monogilament, but would it have sufficient material strength to be viable as a monofilament? And if so, would there be suffiecient orichalcum present to be effective in the other planes?

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Dec 3 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

I guess it all depends on your view of a weapon focus. In previous editions, weapon foci required orichalcum be present in the weapon. It never explicitly said that the business end of the weapon needed to be made of orichalcum, but many people translated the rules as such. The arguement here over a monofilament whip starts because by definition, the business end of a monofilament whip must be monofilament. I would be inclined to say it is not allowed, but that's my opinion.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Dec 3 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Dec 3 2005, 10:54 AM)
Now, it has been a long time, but I thought that in order for weapon focii to be viable (ie, "present" on the other planes) they had to be made of a specified quanitiy of orichalcum. Now I know one could make an orichalcum monogilament, but would it have sufficient material strength to be viable as a monofilament? And if so, would there be suffiecient orichalcum present to be effective in the other planes?

By RAW you don't need the molecules on the business end per say, and as pointed out in the other thread on this forum that spawned this one the damage isn't the same on the astral as it [remains] on the physical. However exactly what the damage code is is more open to interpretation.

P.S. The topic has come up before on DSF, ;) and SR4 doesn't seem to change much outside of having less to say about it since there's there is still only the BBB.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 3 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

So … this means that core rulebooks like SR3, Magic in the Shadows, Cannon Companion, Man & Machine, Rigger 3, etc. will no longer be useful, unless you want to keep playing SR3. Any books that are primarily source material will still be useful.

Contemplate that for a second, the mechanics from previous editions may be out the window but the concepts, ideas remain.

Foci have always had to "work" within the aura of the wielder, second Tech in all editions has been rather impervious or immune to most magic (monofilament tech is still considered high tech)

The material as it stands you have to let go until a newer book comes out that says something opposite.

Just cause we switched to sr4 doesn't mean that submarines don't exist cause it's not in the book yet. Same with how tech and magic works.

You can make a monofilament whip, nothing ever has said you can't, but you don't have any nifty thing in the astral with you, and no advantage in the physical world other then more dice to wield it.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 3 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #21

ghostrider

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 3 2005, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 3 2005, 11:46 AM)

..you didn't take a look at SR2, did you?

Look, you understand my point. Stop trying to appear to be clever by posting little "tee-hee-hee" comments.

I own multiple copies of the first three editions, and the pdf of the fourth. The mechanics change throughout all editions. That would be the reason they make them. (Well, except for SR$...;)). When they did remove things from the game, technology wise, it was because the game designers had decided they were mechanically broken. However, unlike SR4, the previous editions included reasons in the story (even if they were a bit silly and contrived), and generally the removals weren't overwhelmingly apparent.

When they were, or even if you just liked the stuff and wanted it back, you'd just "un-remove" it and make new stats for it for the new edition. That's what I'm saying you should do now. It makes [b]no sense whatsoever[b] that you could get a cybereye laser system five or six years ago, but (in a world of constantly advancing technology) you can't get the same (or better) "now". It's fucking stupid, and I pity the players under any GM that is saying "well...it's not in the 4th edition game, so you can't have it".

I'd say I pity that GM for being an idiot too, but I don't. He/she's an idiot. Practically the only excuse for that kind of "OMGzorz it's not in the bookz" defense for not, say, allowing a cybereye laser, is if you just got into the game with SR4 and don't know any better.

+Quote Post
Eddie Furious
post Dec 4 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,519

QUOTE (6thDragon @ Dec 3 2005, 12:07 PM)
I guess it all depends on your view of a weapon focus.  In previous editions, weapon foci required orichalcum be present in the weapon.  It never explicitly said that the business end of the weapon needed to be made of orichalcum, but many people translated the rules as such.  The arguement here over a monofilament whip starts because by definition, the business end of a monofilament whip must be monofilament.  I would be inclined to say it is not allowed, but that's my opinion.

I admit, I would translate it the same way due to my interpretation that orichalcum doesn't "radiate" in any fashion to make the rest of the weapon effective, otherwise we would see orichalcum based "masers" being used to take out spirits.

Also, I personally don't allow monofilament weaponry in the game due to the inherent difficulty involved in controlling and storing such devices. Besides, it just seems so... 80's... yeah.

:wobble:

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 4 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #23

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Dec 3 2005, 07:21 PM)
Besides, it just seems so... 80's... yeah.

...and that also happens to be exactly the reason they kick so much ass!

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 4 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

I'll point out that if a monofilament wire is some variety of buckytube, it'll be hollow, so you could probably fill it up with orichalcum like milkshake through a straw. The trick would be to do so without breaking the wire, but magic can take care of that pretty easily.

So, I responded with 'Yes'.

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Dec 4 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

QUOTE (nick012000)
I'll point out that if a monofilament wire is some variety of buckytube, it'll be hollow, so you could probably fill it up with orichalcum like milkshake through a straw. The trick would be to do so without breaking the wire, but magic can take care of that pretty easily.

So, I responded with 'Yes'.

This is what a monofilament whip is made of in shadowrun scroll to bottom, under science fiction I don't think you could "fill" a single strand of molecules with anything.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 12:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.