IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Code, Does your Runner have rules to live by?
Kagetenshi
post Dec 22 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

My current character's rough code:

1) Always come back from the run.

2) Never leave evidence you don't have to. That includes witnesses.

3) In many ops, there is a point at which opening up with the big guns is better than sneaking around. Learn to recognize that point and use it. It frequently occurs during the exit portion of a clean run.

Corollary 3A) Unless you have to, never open up until the estimated time to escape is under two-thirds of the estimated response time of the opposition's backup.

4) Never leave traitors alive.

(Alex broke this code once, but it was for a boatload of cash so it was ok.)

5) If the job involves burning down orphanages, the price doubles.

5A) Every fifth orphanage is half price.

5B) Every twenty-fifth orphanage is free.

6) Your contacts (game-rule official and the random folk you know but don't have an in-game effect) helped get you where you are. Never leave them behind, always go the extra mile for them. You'll be surprised at how much this can mean to some people.

6A) But don't pay more than you have to. Nuyen is life. Not all of life, but all of it tends to go away if you don't have nuyen.

6B) See rule 4.

7) Accept no runs in Berlin, nor against known S-K Prime installations. At least not for a few more years.

8) If you have a chance to kill a cop and get away cleanly, do it. If the force's life expectancy gets too high, they start getting uppity.

9) The same does not necessarily apply to UCAS army personnel posing as cops. It might, it might not, check back later.

10) Chicago is no longer a good place to live.

~J
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calvin Hobbes
post Dec 22 2005, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,900

Killing everyone who frags with you sends a message: if you frag with me, be willing to kill or die. This can be good or bad based on how fast you can think and how often the enemy thinks.

Every death costs roughly 6 nuyen, and three to five deaths requires a six-hour waiting period to acquire bullets on the black market. Maybe less if you're a super-badass, but it works out to about that. If nothing else, make sure that each death is worth what you're putting into them.

Steal vehicles. It's crazy worth it to have someone else's insured vehicle get shot to shit during the run.

Join an pro-metahumanity group. The number of runs where Alamos 20,000 or Humanis Policlub try to screw you is unbelieveable, and at least these guys can help run interference on that.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Dec 22 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

My charater's rules are surprisingly similar to Kagetenshi's. There are two important additions:

Do not ever again let yourself being convinced to work with the OMMC (Ork Mercenary Marine Corps) on a stealth mission.

If you ever need some help in completely reducing a city quarter to dust, call the OMMC.

Those two are abolutely vital! Trust me!

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 22 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

My Fav characters main code/mattra whatever was simple:

Everyone is out to screw you if they know who you are.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Dec 22 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Never leave a teammate behind, if said teammate is alive. Bodies are heavy, they slow you down.

Never unplug the decker before the deck.

Listen to the tingly feeling on the back of your neck. It usually means you've forgotten something.

Always carry both radio detonaters and timers.

Always know if the opposition is prone to elemental manipulations -- dress accordingly.

There is a distinct difference between a run which requires stealth and a run which requires exceptional violence. Be aware of this difference. Do not prepare for one type of run when the actual run is the other.

Do NOT give the metalhead reason to kill you.

Do NOT allow teammates with a tendency to have homes destroyed into your only or most expensive home.

Do not assume any person with no cyberware, bioware or magic is human/metahuman. Assume it is a dragon. Plan accordingly.

Always let the person with the highest negotiations do the negotiations.

If a run involves: The Renraku Arcology, ensure the nuyen received is greater than 6 digits.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Dec 22 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Hmm... I don't know if any character I play has anything I'd call a code, but the one I play in the same game as Kagetenshi would probably come up with something like this:

1. Take care of your friends - sitting alone on a pile of Nuyen, going crazy waiting for someone to stab you in the back is no way to live - loyalty matters.

1a. That doesn't mean you should be a blindly trusting fool.

2. Don't kill people unless you have to, but once you get started, don't settle for half-measures. People who carry guns for a living knew what they were getting into and are always fair game.

2a. Just because someone is fair game, it doesn't mean you should go out of your way to kill them.

3. When convenient, let enemies underestimate you and turn it to your advantage.

4. Be reasonable, but make sure someone doesn't confuse it with weakness. It saves time and ammo.

5. Never make a plan with more than three steps, it's a waste of time. Make sure you have at least a couple of very simple contingency plans for when things outside of your control interfere, and everything goes wrong, instead.

6. Stick to things you're good at.

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Dec 22 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

QUOTE (Oracle)
My charater's rules are surprisingly similar to Kagetenshi's. There are two important additions:

Do not ever again let yourself being convinced to work with the OMMC (Ork Mercenary Marine Corps) on a stealth mission.

If you ever need some help in completely reducing a city quarter to dust, call the OMMC.

Those two are abolutely vital! Trust me!

isnt that first one a contradiction Oracle, I mean the OMMC on a stealth mission, come on.

with us its this list:

1. Paranoia is your friend, listen to it.
2. We do not do wetwork unless proof of being evil (and i mean horror level evil) is provided, otherwise the cost is tripled
3. any member of the team may discuss the aspects of the mission with the Johnson as they wish, but only the face does the negotiating
4. Double up on jobs you can do, its great if your superb at killing things, but if you cant patch the bullet hole in your chest your useless
5. initial plans are always stealth missions and never go right,
6. if a stealth mission is going right its probably a trap
7. if caught in a trap, C4 is an excellent key so long as you have a demo skill
8. dont step in front of the crazy wolf-shaman adept with the shotgun

(and yes i'm the crazy wolf-shaman adept, but i always have a good plan C. What, how was blowing our way out of the Aztec pyramid not a good idea?)

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Dec 22 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

From Wedge in the SSC:

"BLAM! A single gunshot and another all-to-wise razorboy gets geeked. Why? Because he was stupid. Because he thought he knew best. Because he refused to listen.

Every punker that hits the streets thinks he knows best. He thinks he's got the ultimate edge and that everybody else will just fold up when he pops those long chromuim carbide blades. Wrong. They're going to laugh instead.

The moment you step on the streets, you must immediately assume that you are in a war zone and that you are a target. On the streets, paranoia is a way of life. Without it youre pizza. Assume that every situation, every deal is potentially life-threatening and you just might live to see the morning.

There is no clean and fast way to work the streets. Nobody has a patented method of survival, but keeping certain things in mind just might make life a little safer.

Assume that everything you do is part of your own personal little war. All this drek about "Zenning" through life is garbage. might as well put a bag over your head and dance in traffic.

Think about what you are doing. Plan ahead. Study your options. Try to out-think your opponent. Consider what he's going to do next, and what you can do to be ready for it.

Know you enemy. By learning all you can about him, you can begin to understand how he thinks and is likely to react. Knowledge is power.

Always check with your contacts. Even if it's your big-buddy older-brother sliding it to you, check it out. I'm not saying you should always believe everything you hear, but put your ear to the pavement and listen anyway.

Pay attention to your surroundings. Know your territory. Too many young razorboys assume that they can get away with carrying their Kingslayer Assault Cannons casually over one shoulder while windor-shopping along Money Street.

Laws and enforcement vary, depending where you are. Procedures can change from block to block and from cop to cop. If you're in a neighborhood that the cops like, play it safe, take it easy and keep it concealed. The worse the neighborhood, the more the cops are going to let things slide. A heavy weapon of any kind is an excuse to call out the riot squad, and an assault rifle is worth atleast three carloads of backup, and maybe even a light chopper.

Carrying big guns and obvious armor is just asking for trouble, in any neighborhood. In many places, an obvious weapon or obvious armor make you and immediate target.

Understand how this war of yours is going to be fought. It servers no purpose to have your H&K 227 in perfect working order if your enemy is going to shut you down with long range magic. Study the options, consider the possibilities.

It also serves no purpose to take on an obviously superior for head-on. Use hit-and-run tactics whenever possible. Keep your engagements short and sharp. Use the shock of violence to your advantage and be gone before that shock wears off. Leave the protracted open-field fighting to the military idoiots who have the manpower to soak up the casualties.

If you do get into combat, try to get out of it as fast as you can. There is too much uncertainty in the chaos of battle to guarantee any result. If you must fight, control it. Choose the terrain, choose the weaponry, choose the participants.

Don't let your opponent set the pace. Be active, not reactive. Force his hand, rather than letting him force yours. Gain and holding the initiative.

Harass your opponent. Anger may lead to error.

The only thing you can be certain of is what you can do. Everything else is suspect.

And never, ever, be dumb enough to think you've won."

and of course:
"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." Neil McCauley Heat

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 22 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

KKs code is pretty simple (see below)

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 22 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

1. Paranoia is your freind. Listen to it. You live in a bunker for a reason.
2. Always push towards excellence. You live by the edges of your skills and your cyber, so keep them in top form and alway keep improving them.
3. Business is business, but when folks make it personal, hunt them down and kill them. It'll keep folks from doing it again.
4. Keep your word. It'll foster trust amongst your contacts, and build up a good rep.
4a. Once you take the money for a job, do it or die trying, unless the Johnson betrays you. If he does, find out where he lives, and put a bullet through his head with your sniper rifle.

+Quote Post
Anythingforenoug...
post Dec 23 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,054

"...no women, no kids-that's the rules..."
-Leon

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Dec 23 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

1. Don't take your own car(s), helicopter, plane, zepplin or whatever on the run or to the meeting.

2. Only place calls from public telecoms. You don't need to recieve calls.

3. Minimum of 3 safehouses, not counting that condo in the Carib league.

4. Always get paid no matter what. Sell the data yourself, steal stuff, kill the Johnson, whatever it takes.

5. Shit doesn't roll down hill. Just because your contact/Johnson gets screwed, it doesn't go down the line to my team.

6. Innocents don't die.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 23 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I suaully ended up as the face for the group, by temperment if not calling, I was usually a spell slinger but my rules were,

keep a legal cover.

cultivate legal contacts. Especially in law enforcement.

only break laws on runs and then only when it can't be avoided.

avoid unnessary killing

Be straight up with the Johnson in all things.

Do NOT do wetwork.

EVER.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 23 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

2. We do not do wetwork unless proof of being evil (and i mean horror level evil) is provided, otherwise the cost is tripled

So if there is no proof tripple the price and we can forget morality (pff why bother with morality in SR, it's live or die, not right or wrong on the streets)

Anyone ever hear this bit from Mark Twain, he was at a fancy dinner, and was talking to a lady he said "my dear if I gave you a million dollars would you sleep with me" she blushed and replied "Why yes, of course" then Twain replied "Will you sleep with me for 10 dollars" the woman got angry and said "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

"My dear," he replied "We've already found out what kind of woman you are, now we're just negotiating the price"

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Dec 23 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

Mortax:

(I may not remember all of it so I may have to edit.)

1. Keep your word, above all else honor is important.
2. Do not kill innocents
3. Do not allow yourself to become weak, there will always be those trying to kill you.
4. Do not reveal your nature to anyone. (Vampires are not welcome most of the time.)
5. It is impossible to survive without friends and contacts, cultivate them
6. Fear the greeks, even when they bring gifts.
7. The Johnson is out for himself, never trust them to be honest
8. Hope for the best, plan for everything
9. Anyone belonging to Alamos 20K, Unity, or Humanis polly clubs are not innocents, they are prey.
10. If you must deal with dragons, assume they are going to try to screw you or eat you.
11. Always continue to lear everything you can about everything.
12. Never stop training your body, being immortal does not mean you can ge lazy.
13. No unnessisary killing.
14. Avoid breaking the law where possible
15. Do not create more of your kind
16. Death is preferable to falure.
17. Do not get caught
18. Take out anyone with a weapon focus first.
19. Take out the Mage next.
20. Kill anything resembling an insect spirit

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Dec 23 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

QUOTE (Liper)

So if there is no proof tripple the price and we can forget morality (pff why bother with morality in SR, it's live or die, not right or wrong on the streets)

Anyone ever hear this bit from Mark Twain, he was at a fancy dinner, and was talking to a lady he said "my dear if I gave you a million dollars would you sleep with me" she blushed and replied "Why yes, of course" then Twain replied "Will you sleep with me for 10 dollars" the woman got angry and said "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

"My dear," he replied "We've already found out what kind of woman you are, now we're just negotiating the price"

actually case in point, my character the street sam and the troll brick get hired by this "Investment company" guy because two lonestar detectives were supposedly extorting money from the entire industrial park and the Johnson was acting as the contact point. research into the background finds that the "Investment Company" is a mofia front and the two cops had just broken up THEIR extortion ring in the industrial park and the mob wanted deniability on their revenge. We keep the half but try to return the equipment and the johnson has some goons try and kill us. After surviving their attack and handing the johnson over to the two detectives we were able to retrieve both from the battlesite and the "Investment company" :

Ares roadmaster
eurocar westwind 2000
2 force 6 weapon foci
4 uzi 3's
few hundred rounds
300 thousand nuyen each on top of the 20 thousand that the johnson had paid us in advance for the job.

see triple the cost when we turn around and geek the johnson for setting us up to be their fallguys

+Quote Post
The Question Man
post Dec 23 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,722

"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.
Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender.
It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found."

The "Iron Code"

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 23 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

It's Always about the Nuyen and how to earn it, no one else.

Always look about for number 1 before you look out for number 2.

When dealing with the star , use Lethal force cause they want to kill you.

Use and keep your contacts.

Make extra cash on the side. " I sell Nova Coke"

Always repay a debt.

be very careful of who you work with.

Be Loyal to those who find trust in you.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 23 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Wow. This whole thread's like a collection of macho one-liners, only some of which make sense. Handy.

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 23 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
When dealing with the star , use Lethal force cause they want to kill you.

And your life is miserable and you secretly want to commit suicide because you can't handle the guilt. /SARCASM

Use lethal force on cops? Are you stoned!!!

Different characters of mine have different codes, and they change depending on the specifics. This is what I consider my "proffesionals" code however.

Kill only when necessary. Killing someone does not tie up loose ends, it creates loose ends that want to kill you.

Unless specified, the run should be quiet. Noise is to be avoided unless it is the objective.

Research your Johnson, but don't use it as leverage unless you have been set up.

Research the whole situation as thoroughly as possible. Don't accept rush jobs unless they are from a contact you trust.

Do your own legwork. If the Johnson gives you "all the info" on the run, do it anyways. If the Johsnon gives you that information, dig deeper and triple check your legwork to make sure it is legit. Free information in the Sixth World should trigger an alarm in your mind.

These rules apply to contacts, employers and targets unless required or specified by the run. Don't lie. Don't cheat. Don't steal. Your word and your honor is your meal ticket. Act like scum, you will be expendable. Act like someone worth hiring and you will be considered rehireable.

Keep as much info to yourself as possible. Corollary: Spread information that increases your rep.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 23 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
Use lethal force on cops? Are you stoned!!!

You'd have to be not to.

~J

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 23 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

Give me one thing that lethal force will get you that you can't get just as easily non-lethal.

Magic can't heal stun damage, in SR4 stun is actually the better type of damage, and in SR3 it is certainly no worse.

APDS gets through armor, but so does Gel rounds with DMSO and Neurostun.
Spellways, Stun has a lower drain code, and can be cast at a higher force, vs will which may or may not be high amongst star. Generally though it is lower than body. Stunball makes for an excellent way to take down a large amount of police, whereas Power/Manaball or elemental manipulations give you craploads more drain, and thus cannot be cast at a higher force without risking serious harm.

There are ample effects both magical and technologica for confusion, smoke creating, and back doors. There are numerous ways of avoiding the situation.

What possible reason would you want the cops to take a personal interest in everything you do, carefully looking for the slightest clue that will lead to you and shaking down all you contacts, likely kill you if they find you, and if they don't it is worse, when the alternative is actually arguably more effective?

By killing cops you are choosing the less effective way of dealing with them at the high cost of making yourself a #1 priority for a very large amount of people with a large amount of contacts, many in the biz (how many shadowrunners do you see with contact: Lone Star Detective?) who specialize in investigating, have advanced magical and technological resources for tracing you, and are perfectly willing to do whatever it takes to make an example of you?

Killing cops is nearly always the worst thing you can do in a situation!!! Good lord, turning yourself in is a better option.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 23 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #26

Manus Celer Dei

Certainty.

A similar discussion.

In SR3 Stun is indeed worse. Serious Stun can be healed (if temporarily) in seconds via a stimpatch, while even a Light Heal/Treat has a base time of five turns of sustaining to become permanent. Taking your average highly competent spellslinger (twelve dice to cast) on a cop (maximum Essence 5) results in an expected four successes. That's two turns for a Light wound, ten for a Moderate, and fifteen for not even healing all of a Serious wound. That sounds worse to me.

You're also making the very questionable assumption that gel-rounding or capsule-rounding a squad of the 'Star will not attract their ire.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 23 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #27

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

(The Happy Anarchist)

Different characters of mine have different codes, and they change depending on the specifics.  This is what I consider my "proffesionals" code however.

Kill only when necessary.  Killing someone does not tie up loose ends, it creates loose ends that want to kill you.

Unless specified, the run should be quiet.  Noise is to be avoided unless it is the objective.

Research your Johnson, but don't use it as leverage unless you have been set up.

Research the whole situation as thoroughly as possible.  Don't accept rush jobs unless they are from a contact you trust.

Do your own legwork.  If the Johnson gives you "all the info" on the run, do it anyways.  If the Johsnon gives you that information, dig deeper and triple check your legwork to make sure it is legit.  Free information in the Sixth World should trigger an alarm in your mind.

These rules apply to contacts, employers and targets unless required or specified by the run.  Don't lie.  Don't cheat.  Don't steal.  Your word and your honor is your meal ticket.  Act like scum, you will be expendable.  Act like someone worth hiring and you will be considered rehireable.

Keep as much info to yourself as possible.  Corollary: Spread information that increases your rep.

All of my characters, even Leela, believed that having a professional attitude is the only way to go. All too often I have seen the legwork phase cut short because other characters (or even players) were impatient to get on with the mission. These were the times we ran into big trouble.

Turning down a job because you discover it would be sheer suicide or you are just not equipped (not just gear wise) to handle it is not a bad thing. All too often I see characters blindly accept a job without realising what they may be getting into. Next you know your "mage heavy" group finds itself on a space shuttle to a LEO station. or your techno & chromed up sammie team finds themselves smack in the middle of dealing with delicate inter-tribal politics or astral affairs.

There are always other jobs to be had & a good GM should have at least one alternate mission should the characters not accept the primary offer.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Dec 23 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #28

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Echo what Kage, mmu1, and Solstice said.

My character has taken the "Distinctive Style" flaw.

In this case, he has a personal code of honor.

Being raised in Japan, he follows the religion of onmyodo, the Japanese counterpart to Taoism/Daoism, "The Way of Yin and Yang", which, at least as I understand it, was a common religious belief among ninja. He seeks balance in his own life, as well as others'. In a nutshell, he will *always* do what he thinks is the right thing, regardless of others' opinions, and whether or not it's (at least technically) illegal.

(Unusual for a PC whose primary job will eventually be as an assassin, I know. :))

(1) If he gives his word, regardless of to whom, he *always* keeps it (put another way, your word is one of the few things that you must give away in order to keep it) <see sig. below>;

(2) He WON'T kill law-enforcement officers, *unless absolutely necessary*--this includes anyone from corporate security guards to Ares Knight Errant officers, among others (generally speaking, nothing complicates a 'runner's life more quickly than killing a cop);

(2a) Soldiers--of whatever type-- are specifically exempt from this rule, because they are professionals, and thus more dangerous than cops or corporate security officers, for whom it is often just a way of making a living;

(3) No children, *EVER*, and the *only* time that he'll use lethal force against a woman--except in self-defense, or in the defense of others--is if the job specifically calls for it (i.e., if it's straight-up wetwork and one or more of the targets is female);

(3a) Number (3) above does *not* apply to members of other 'runner teams hired to eliminate either the PC or other members of his team;

(3b) Or to a double-crossing Johnson, if said Johnson happens to be a woman;

(4) He won't take a job if there's a risk of collateral damage--either to people or property. If asked to perform such a job, he'll walk out. If a Johnson wants a bloodbath, for whatever reason (one crime family "sending a message" to another, for example), he/she is trying to hire the wrong guy--they want a butcher, not a surgeon; and

(4a) No innocent bystanders--i.e., he won't use lethal force against a potential witness, and will instead seek less violent alternatives (i.e., a pistol loaded with Gel rounds, a Taser, or a Narcoject loaded with Gamma-Scopolamine). (Note: If a bystander draws/picks up a weapon, he/she immediately becomes a *TARGET*, and is no longer considered a bystander.)

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Jan 3 2006, 01:24 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.