IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Notoriety and street Cred, Did you hear about????
GingerbreadMan
post Apr 18 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,907

Is everyone playing Notoriety and Street Cred via the book rules? I love the idea but it’s quite a double edged sword. Too much of either and no Johnson in their right mind will hire you, but you can use street cred to buy off notoriety.

My question pertains mainly to the situation/social modifiers. With a fairly experienced group of characters (some devious, bastards) I’ve managed 9 street cred and 4 notoriety. Do I buy off the notoriety at the sacrifice of my street cred? How long until Johnson stops calling because kids discuss me at the dinner table?

What do you think? Any cool house rules or suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

I dno't like the idea that you can buy off notoriety by losing street cred. How does becoming a better runner by not doing the things that give you notoriety make you less well known? "Sorry guys, you never heard of me, and I certainly never did those things you know I did."

If you want to reset your street reputation, start running again under a new identity or change it over time with different behavior.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 18 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

We play by the RAW's reputation rules in all ways except we don't award Notoriety for Negative Qualities. The forums have discussed this previously, but the quick reason for the exclusion is that it can make a (literally) gimped character have an unreasonable bonus to Intimidate.

When your Public Awareness reaches 3, you've started to get "high profile" enough to where the cops (et alia) have files on you. At this point you had better be prepared for a lifestyle change. So, our current team's philosophy on it is "security through obscurity." Whenever our PA is about to hit 3, taking a -2 to Street Cred in exchange for -1 to Notoriety will knock it back down to comfortably anonymous levels.

I interpret the SC/N bleed off as a combination of laying low and spreading constructive disinformation about ourselves. The more red herrings and blind alleys we give investigators (both legit and shady), the less likely they are to continue effective tracking.

Sure, your reputation gets fuzzier and people are less likely to trust anything they've heard about you; but that can be a good thing.

I should add that some runners would be okay with a high PA. If you're so uber that you're basically a celebrity and you can handle that sort of lifestyle, then knock yourself out. I personally haven't seen it done successfully yet.

+Quote Post
Piecemeal
post Apr 18 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,478

I interpret the SC/N bleed off as a combination of laying low and spreading constructive disinformation about ourselves. The more red herrings and blind alleys we give investigators (both legit and shady), the less likely they are to continue effective tracking.

Sure, your reputation gets fuzzier and people are less likely to trust anything they've heard about you; but that can be a good thing.

welcome to the right answer. last i checked, it wasnt entitled "Smack in the middle of the Limelight Run".

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

BTW if in the future you do manage to keep Notoriety gains below 50% of Street Cred keep in mind that you can buy your Notoriety into the negatives. The math and IC translation of a negative Notoriety was covered in a thread several months back. Here is the start point of that part of the discussion, from about 1 month after SR4 came out at GenCon.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Fake your own deaths. With anthroforms, illusion spells, and easy looting of surgical clinics for tissue to leave around, this has never been easier.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 18 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
BTW if in the future you do manage to keep Notoriety gains below 50% of Street Cred keep in mind that you can buy your Notoriety into the negatives.

You say that as if it were explicitly in the rules.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

As far as I can remember, there's no rule for having any rating at negatives.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 18 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 18 2006, 05:09 PM)

Yep, that was my point in that old thread too.

As always, feel free to house-rule (or house-interpret) however you like.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Dragon

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 18 2006, 04:39 PM)
BTW if in the future you do manage to keep Notoriety gains below 50% of Street Cred keep in mind that you can buy your Notoriety into the negatives.

You say that as if it were explicitly in the rules.

I say that as though:

- it doesn't say you can't
- it explains the existence of an otherwise meaningless minimum Awareness of 0
- acknowledging the existance of the negative Notoriety clears up the problem of a really good runner being driven to go out and intentionally "botch" jobs
- as written a character starting with only the Blandness Quality has a negative Notoriety

You can subtact one from your Notoriety for every for ever 2 points of Street Cred you spend. No where is there a zero Notoriety limit on this. No more than it imposes any given maximum limit (although it does make some things tougher the higher you go higher).

Sorry if you don't feel comfortable with it because they didn't drag it up and smack you over the head with it. Just like a negative acceleration and negative velocity makes sense as the result from a physics equation, negative Notoriety allows the rules to make sense.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #11

Dragon

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 18 2006, 03:09 PM)

Read the link. The rule is there, they just don't actually use the words "negative Notoriety" anywhere.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Apr 18 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (blakkie)
Sorry if you don't feel comfortable with it because they didn't drag it up and smack you over the head with it.

I would like to make you and your oft-demonstrated "logic of convenience" comfortable with this 2x4.

Seriously, Blakkie, the existence or nonexistence of negative Notoriety cannot be proven nor disproven until it's delineated in an official FAQ or similiar. Accept that, continue to play as if it exists if you wish, but don't go preaching it as if it were listed in the index.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Am I missing something or is 0 Awareness your only reason for believing it's possible? I didn't read all 4 pages and would rather not. I'm also not looking to argue the point, just wanting to make sure I understand all your points.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #14

Dragon

How the fuck would negative notoriety work in real life? Would some leprechaun materialize and smack you over the head with a forgetfulness hammer every time you tried to remember something bad about the character?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #15

Dragon

QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 18 2006, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 18 2006, 05:23 PM)
Sorry if you don't feel comfortable with it because they didn't drag it up and smack you over the head with it.

I would like to make you and your oft-demonstrated "logic of convenience" comfortable with this 2x4.

Seriously, Blakkie, the existence or nonexistence of negative Notoriety cannot be proven nor disproven until it's delineated in an official FAQ or similiar. Accept that, continue to play as if it exists if you wish, but don't go preaching it as if it were listed in the index.

LOL

No, I can't really "prove" it beyond no doubt any more than prove the falsehood of stuff like this. But don't try to say the rule doesn't exist, or that it isn't entirely reasonable to read it that way.

Oh, and when it is offical to your satisfaction :please: I want to see some serious groveling. :P

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 18 2006, 03:33 PM)
Am I missing something or is 0 Awareness your only reason for believing it's possible? I didn't read all 4 pages and would rather not. I'm also not looking to argue the point, just wanting to make sure I understand all your points.

Just go to the link I provided and read the posts down to the end of that page (assuming you are using 25 posts/page).

How the fuck would negative notoriety work in real life? Would some leprechaun materialize and smack you over the head with a forgetfulness hammer every time you tried to remember something bad about the character?

Same here. Read to the bottom of the page from the posts linked. Basically you work so low profile you become a ghost (figuratively speaking) to those outside the shadows.

"The greatest trick the devil ever performed was convincing the world he doesnt exist." - Kizer Soza

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #17

Dragon

You have roamed the board for too long without a nemesis to keep you in check. You're like Lex Luthor without Superman, or Magneto without Professor Xavier. Can I be your nemesis? Or should I call Critias over?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Cool. Thanks.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #19

Dragon

QUOTE (emo samurai)
You have roamed the board for too long without a nemesis to keep you in check. You're like Lex Luthor without Superman, or Magneto without Professor Xavier. Can I be your nemesis? Or should I call Critias over?

Critias as Superman? :rotfl: More like he's a street rat that aspires to being the dynamic duo's grip and work long hours into the night polishing Robin's armored cod piece to a glistening bat-shine. :P

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Apr 18 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #20

Dragon

So that would make you one of those cod that the Penguin eats.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 18 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #21

Dragon

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 18 2006, 03:59 PM)
So that would make  you one of those cod that the Penguin eats.

Perhaps. But you had already placed the Lex Luther mantle upon me, so let's split the difference and compromise to say Mr. Furious? :rotfl:

EDIT:Oh wait, you wanted to cast me in the role of the villian or the villian's snack. So what about Casanova Frankenstein? :cyber: You can be The Invisible Boy. James McMurray can be The Spleen. :spin:

+Quote Post
GingerbreadMan
post Apr 18 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,907

I understand the concept of zero Public Awareness, basically off the radar. But a Negative number?? Wouldn't your contacts stop calling? Would your mamma think you died?

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Apr 18 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

How'd you know my secret identity?

+Quote Post
FanGirl
post Apr 18 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,438

QUOTE (Azralon)
I should add that some runners would be okay with a high PA. If you're so uber that you're basically a celebrity and you can handle that sort of lifestyle, then knock yourself out. I personally haven't seen it done successfully yet.

I think that, as soon as it becomes clear that my character's PA is too high for her to be able to shake off the cops, I'll try and have her commit a spectacular crime, one that captures the public's imagination and transforms her into a celebrity overnight. Then she'll just walk into the nearest Star or KE office and turn herself in. She'll serve out her sentence happily, bombarded both by adoring letters from her fans and requests from trid and simsense studio reps wanting to buy the rights to her story. When (if) she gets out, she'll buy a nice beach house using the royalties from her book deal and live happily ever after.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 18 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 18 2006, 11:31 PM)
Seriously, Blakkie, the existence or nonexistence of negative Notoriety cannot be proven nor disproven until it's delineated in an official FAQ or similiar.

Create a fresh character: Notoriety 0.
Take any positive quality influencing Notoriety: Notoriety -1.

Q.E.D.

As that's what the rules state on Notoriety, and the RAW only prevents Street Cred and Public Avareness from dropping below 0, negative Notoriety is valid.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.