IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tapping the Collective Consciousness of Dumpshock, Need assistance with Underwater Research Facility
TheOneRonin
post Feb 17 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,729

Greetings all.

I'm working on a short 1-shot mission that will involve the Runner team having to penetrate an Evo undersea bio-research facility and I'm looking for any sort of input/ideas/experiences that anyone would like to post here.

I know that sounds really ambiguous, so let me see if I can clear it up a little.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Maps, floorplans, visual aids that you have used, seen or think will be useful for this sort of adventure.

2. Experiences from either GMing or playing in a game that involved such a facility.

3. Hints/tips/trivia/etc. that should be a consideration or might play a part in mission.

Not that it should matter all that much, but the team is 3 runners (ex-Navy SEAL/Sammy/Explosives, ex-Tir Ghost Commo/Hacking, ex-SAS/MI-6/Face/Infiltration Expert) that are all around the 550 - 600 BP level.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 17 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Watch the Abyss? Also make sure you know how firearms work (or don't) underwater.

+Quote Post
Acidsaliva
post Feb 18 2010, 04:55 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,041

Play Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Visit Rapture by reading this thread or This One

I would make sure you have researched / know well the rules for swimming, drowning & underwater gear. Keep pressure and depth in mind and maybe think up some rules for The Bends (for when the PCs want to blow the place up and make a quick get away).

Make sure you know how much accidental stray fire or structure damage the underwater facility can take before it leaks (and remember all that depth pressure putting the squeeze on the facility). Perhaps mention to the trigger happy players that too much explosions will result in the shadowrun being a washout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Uncontrolled fires are bad too. They cause structure damage, use up precious Oxygen and all the smoke & lung/eye irritants / poisons from a fire will hang around for longer than usual as no one can open a window. A fire can very quickly use up available air within a airlocked section of the underwater facility (you are going to have airlocks right? So that one leak doesn't drown the whole underwater facility?). Actually the helium - oxygen mix that divers use might spread the fire faster.

And of course make sure that in the bio-research facility has lots of water breathing cyberzombies and lots of genetically/cybernetically enhanced water-based critters to chase the PCs. Actually watch Deep Blue Sea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Just a few ideas.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Feb 18 2010, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

I don't think fires willspread faster - human physiolgy being what it is, the amount of oxygen in a give volume of breathing mix will stay the same (the higher the pressure, the lower the percentage of oxygen, but the absolute quantity will remain). Of course if someone breaches an oxygen tanks when there's a fire, things will get interesting....

Helium is used because it is lighter than nitrogen,making hte breathing mixless dense and easier to brath. It also prevent the problems with nitrogen dissolved into the bloodstream (nitrogen narcosis, and bends in case of pressure change)

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 18 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #5

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Acidsaliva @ Feb 17 2010, 08:55 PM) *
...maybe think up some rules for The Bends (for when the PCs want to blow the place up and make a quick get away).

This is covered in Arsenal.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 18 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 17 2010, 06:43 AM) *
Watch the Abyss? Also make sure you know how firearms work (or don't) underwater.
I've always been partial to "DeepStar Six" myself.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Feb 18 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

ou might like to lay hands on a copy of Target: Wastelands. 3rd edition, but a very good book.

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Feb 18 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

Is this facility a permanent structure or something that can be towed around ala The Abyss? The Abyss station was an underwater oil rig. Another movie I suggest would be Leviathan which was an underwater mining facility.

Suggestions:
Mini subs. Loads of them. Corp patrol, gofor, observation, travel, ect.
The facility having intermittent trouble with technomancer dolphins mentioned in running wild.
having to explore an undersea shipwreck.
Explosions are nasty underwater.
Don't forget, sound travels faster in water then in air.
Just because you have a lot of lights in the deep below doesn't mean you'll be able to see anything. Silt, kicked up sand and so on.

+Quote Post
Professor Evil O...
post Feb 18 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,103

Regarding maps and floor plans - does anyone in your group have any from another sci-fi game? You can probably get away with using floor plans from space stations and the like. They follow many of the same design features that an underwater facility requires - airlocks, docking bays, etc.

Depth is a huge issue in adventure design. It sounds like the PCs include characters who should be experts at this kind of mission, so give them plenty of hints about what to expect. The players will most likely have few ideas about underwater environments. The mission will run very differently if they can SCUBA in vs needing a JIM suit or mini-sub for greater depths.

Security should match the kind of gear your are planning to allow the PCs to get into the facility based on their method of entry. Don't hesitate to limit the amount of gear they can transport - weather it's limited cargo space or difficulty swimming with a ton of gear. A run against corp sec with light weapons and limited armor can be a real challenge, even for experienced PCs.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Feb 18 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

Two important question both in term of design and the way the run could work :
What depth is the facility implanted ?
If lower than 20-40 meters, is it at surface pressure or is it a saturation facility (the breathable mixture inside is at the same pressure as the water outside).

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 18 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Professor Evil Overlord @ Feb 18 2010, 07:40 AM) *
Security should match the kind of gear your are planning to allow the PCs to get into the facility based on their method of entry. Don't hesitate to limit the amount of gear they can transport - weather it's limited cargo space or difficulty swimming with a ton of gear. A run against corp sec with light weapons and limited armor can be a real challenge, even for experienced PCs.

Can't remember the name of the ammo, but it can be found in Arsenal, it is a more fragile round that easily breaks on hard surfaces the book says it is used most for things like attacking inside an airplane on flight, etc.
Also, the depth at which the base will be important to give ideas for its architecture.

PS: AFB right now, but doesn't the internal tanks 'ware give bonus or even immunity against the bends?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 18 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I believe the term is 'frangible'?

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 18 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

That's the one. Thank you nezumi. I think it doubles the structure's armor or something. It is REALLY good to avoid gunfire accidents on "fragile" locations. This or the always favored stick-n-shock ammo.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Feb 18 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,811

QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Feb 17 2010, 09:21 AM) *
Greetings all.

I'm working on a short 1-shot mission that will involve the Runner team having to penetrate an Evo undersea bio-research facility and I'm looking for any sort of input/ideas/experiences that anyone would like to post here.

I know that sounds really ambiguous, so let me see if I can clear it up a little.

1. Maps, floorplans, visual aids that you have used, seen or think will be useful for this sort of adventure.

2. Experiences from either GMing or playing in a game that involved such a facility.

3. Hints/tips/trivia/etc. that should be a consideration or might play a part in mission.

Not that it should matter all that much, but the team is 3 runners (ex-Navy SEAL/Sammy/Explosives, ex-Tir Ghost Commo/Hacking, ex-SAS/MI-6/Face/Infiltration Expert) that are all around the 550 - 600 BP level.

OK lets have some fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

First thing lets throw all the conventional action/spy stuff out the window and wipe clean our expectations.

1) Your talking about Evo, the master of bio-implants and transgenics. Lets get rid of giant domes and airlocks (except a visitors center) and make it an open water facility. That means all the staff have the proper implants or genetic tweaks to live in the water at the depths required. There might be "Dry Rooms" for sleeping and eating. It will force the PCs out of their comfort zone. And the mapping is easier.

2) If its underwater what are they doing there? Testing new implants? Growing and training aquatic biodrones/warforms? Let the research determine the level of response and they type of security.

3) Bring on the biologics!!! The best part about Evo runs are they are weird and unexpected. Naga magic user with gills and an electric eel power? Got it! Storm dolphins attacking surface vessels? Got it! Bioengineered sharks with fricking lasers on their heads? Oh Hell yes I'll take a squad of those!!!

Just my two cents...

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 18 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (BRodda @ Feb 18 2010, 11:58 AM) *
3) Bring on the biologics!!! The best part about Evo runs are they are weird and unexpected. Naga magic user with gills and an electric eel power? Got it! Storm dolphins attacking surface vessels? Got it! Bioengineered sharks with fricking lasers on their heads? Oh Hell yes I'll take a squad of those!!!

Just my two cents...

What about a pack of angry mutant sea bass? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Feb 18 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

For some good inspiration there is a underwater base sea level in the computer game Deus Ex (the first).

Basically it's accessed mainly by mini subs in a sort of hangar, has extensive gun emplacements and security systems, and green, greasy Greasels!

Replace the greasels with any other suitable paracritter created/bred with secret experimental biotechnology. Also remember that underwater bases are very nice for hiding special projects of a more "ethical flexibility" kind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Feb 18 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 18 2010, 10:00 AM) *
What about a pack of angry mutant sea bass? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Gezz is it so hard to get a pack of sharks with fricking lasers on their heads? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Great now I have to stat out mutant sea bass too. I'm 1/2 way done with the laser equipped sharks. I'll post it when I'm done.

+Quote Post
D2F
post Feb 18 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,001

QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Feb 17 2010, 03:21 PM) *

I would recommend the "Space Hulk" Board game plans from Games Workshop. You should be able to pick up a used copy for just a few bucks on ebay and the floor plans are modular segments. They are cramped, rusty and a little bit claustrophobic. In other words, they are ideally suited for under water stations =)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Feb 18 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (BRodda @ Feb 18 2010, 12:17 PM) *
Gezz is it so hard to get a pack of sharks with fricking lasers on their heads? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Great now I have to stat out mutant sea bass too. I'm 1/2 way done with the laser equipped sharks. I'll post it when I'm done.

I would love to see them.

+Quote Post
BRodda
post Feb 18 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Feb 18 2010, 11:16 AM) *
I would love to see them.

Here is the shark I'll put the sea bass up after lunch.

And here is the Sea Bass. Never realized how much money was in making mutants till I did this one. Large upfront costs and then its fairly cheap.

+Quote Post
Professor Evil O...
post Feb 19 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,103

QUOTE (D2F @ Feb 18 2010, 07:20 AM) *
I would recommend the "Space Hulk" Board game plans from Games Workshop. You should be able to pick up a used copy for just a few bucks on ebay and the floor plans are modular segments. They are cramped, rusty and a little bit claustrophobic. In other words, they are ideally suited for under water stations =)

Plus they can be used for things like sewers, underground tunnels, and the like. If you're into fantasy games, they can double as dungeon floor plans in a pinch (although they won't look right). The floor plans are even compatible between different editions of the game. Definately a good buy if you can find them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.