IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Theorycraft] SR5 Matrix, Trying to wrangle that beast to something more acceptable
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 210,183

Table of Contents

(Revised) Firewall Rule

New Matrix Action: Breech Defenses (2nd Draft)

New Hacking Program: Battering Ram

New Matrix Action: Monitor Defenses (3rd Draft)

New Matrix Action: Prevent Breech (2nd Draft)

(Revised) Matrix Perception (2nd Draft)

Runs against a Host

This thread is to hash out an idea I have to “fix” 5e’s Matrix rules.

My intention is not to completely rewrite the rules, although I admit that might be necessary.

I am starting this thread because designing in a vacuum is a very bad idea *cough* CGL *cough*. And I am not likely to get a playtest together to try them out.

If you are going to post suggestions, I request that you keep it to one suggestion per post so that as these rules become more fleshed out I can edit this post with a table of contents of sorts linking to the rules alterations.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Firewall is the Threshold for all Matrix Actions Against a Device / Host

I am aware this causes issues with hosts and high Firewall ratings. See next two posts.

No longer is an owners stats involved in Matrix Defense.

This makes Firewall more meaningful. The MCT Blue Defender now really means you get something for a Data Processing of 1.

Return to the Table of Contents

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

New Matrix Action: Breech Defenses (2nd Draft)

Complex Action
Cybercombat + Intuition [Sleeze OR Attack] vs. Firewall

This is an exception to Firewall = Threshold rule

With persistence, luck, and sheer audacity, a hacker can temporarily reduce a targets Firewall.

Success reduces the targets Firewall, for the action user only, by 1 for (net hits) Combat Turns. If the Firewall was already reduced by the action user, the duration equals the current net hits if greater than existing duration, or the existing duration + one Combat Turn if current net hits is less.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

New Hacking Program: Battering Ram

Increases the Firewall reduction of a successful Breech Defenses action by 1 (2 total).

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 21 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Titan, you said that the stats of the Firewall are not affected by the stats of the user. What about the Nixdorf Sekretär that has a built in rating 3 Agent? Does that Agent stats get added in to boost the firewall?

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 21 2017, 10:19 AM) *
Titan, you said that the stats of the Firewall are not affected by the stats of the user. What about the Nixdorf Sekretär that has a built in rating 3 Agent? Does that Agent stats get added in to boost the firewall?

Hmm... Good question. This is a prime example of the purpose of this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I would never have thought of that.

I'll have to double check the errata. I know there was something about the Sekretar no longer having a full blown Agent program. I'll look into it and adjust as necessary.

EDITed to add: It is on page 38 of the Shadowrun Missions 1.2 FAQ. The change is the Agent only has the Computer skill. I think I have an idea of how to include agents into the mix.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Interrupt Action
Initiative -10

Through careful monitoring and troubleshooting you can detect, and perhaps thwart, breeches.

This action allows you (or an Agent program) to add your Intuition (Agent Rating) to the monitored devices Firewall to resist Breech Defenses actions for the Combat Turn.

If any hits are rolled on the defensive test, the Breech attempt is detected, regardless if it succeeds.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

New Matrix Action: Prevent Breech (2nd Draft)

Complex Action
Cybercombat + Intuition [Data Processing] vs. Attackers Cybercombat + Intuition

Reduce the attackers Breech net hits by the net hits of this roll.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 21 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 21 2017, 11:22 AM) *
Hmm... Good question. This is a prime example of the purpose of this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I would never have thought of that.

I'll have to double check the errata. I know there was something about the Sekretar no longer having a full blown Agent program. I'll look into it and adjust as necessary.

EDITed to add: It is on page 38 of the Shadowrun Missions 1.2 FAQ. The change is the Agent only has the Computer skill. I think I have an idea of how to include agents into the mix.

Well an enterprising hardware geek could hardwire a program carrier into a commlink and put in an Agent. Hell put a Virtual Machine in the Program carrier. The program carrier allows you "run a program permanently". So this your commlink now can run one cyber program. Virtual Machine allows you to run an additional two programs. Those two programs can be Agent and Encryption. This version of Agent can be a a full fledged agent and not a crippled one running on the Sekretar.

The funny thing about this... it is ALL completely legal. The program carrier carries a Availability of 2, the electronic packs needed to install it on your commlink, and Encryption are Availability "-". Finally, the Agent is Availability "3 * Rating" so you can get up Rating 4 at character creation.

Later on in game you can get an Attack Dongle... So when a Hacker does try to wreck your drek, your commlink is hammering him back.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 21 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 21 2017, 01:07 PM) *
The funny thing about this... it is ALL completely legal.

That remains to be seen.

In the errata discussions, it is talked about that devices other the decks (and RCCs in limited form) can't run cyberprograms - even on program carriers.

Nothing even remotely official yet. Just talk. We will have to see if this ends up being legal or not.

EDITed to add: Here is a SR5 author declaring s/he doesn't allow Virtual Machine in a Program Carrier (in anything other than a Deck) on their table and guesses it shouldn't be allowed.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 03:30 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 21 2017, 01:43 PM) *
That remains to be seen.

In the errata discussions, it is talked about that devices other the decks (and RCCs in limited form) can't run cyberprograms - even on program carriers.

Nothing even remotely official yet. Just talk. We will have to see if this ends up being legal or not.

EDITed to add: Here is a SR5 author declaring s/he doesn't allow Virtual Machine in a Program Carrier (in anything other than a Deck) on their table and guesses it shouldn't be allowed.

That's him being a penis. I mean seriously, how does being able to run two programs on a Commlink equate to being broken?

Also he is just one person, and NOT the Voice Of God when it comes to Shadowrun. Hell, that's just HIS house rule and NOT official Errata for Data Trails.

I think he's just butthurt that someone found a way to wreck his precious Deckers and make them irrelevant in a combat situation.

** EDIT ** As was brought up on the thread you linked, running a Virtual Machine makes the commlink more liable to being bricked. That is enough of a downside in this edition.

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Jul 22 2017, 04:03 AM
Post #12

Awakened Master Ninja

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,844

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 21 2017, 07:30 PM) *
I mean seriously, how does being able to run two programs on a Commlink equate to being broken?

So the cell phones of 6 decades from now are less powerful than my current cell phone?

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 05:11 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jul 21 2017, 11:03 PM) *
So the cell phones of 6 decades from now are less powerful than my current cell phone?

Sorry I was meaning to say running two cyber programs. The commlink can run half it's rating (round up) in Commlink programs... AKA the worthless ones.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 22 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

This is going outside the scope of this thread.... But, pfffttt. It's "my" thread and I'll allow it.

**Before I go any further, I want to try and make it clear that I do NOT necessarily agree with the rulings, I'm simply relaying them.

First off, with the possible exception of 4e, Shadowrun has always had a hard time keeping up with technology. (Decks in 3e were essentially Commodore 64s that had to have a hardline connection to the Matrix to work) I don't blame the writers here. Computer tech is the quintessential "moving target." How many people would have guessed 'fridges and thermostats would need an internet connection to work fully a decade ago?

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Jul 21 2017, 10:03 PM) *

No**. The (semi) official explanation is that commlink apps are computationally intensive programs that are more advanced than PC programs are today. i.e.: The AR and VR games are more intensive than the MMOs and PC games today. So you can run Device Rating / 2 "PC+" games at one time on your commlink.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 21 2017, 09:30 PM) *
That's him being a penis. I mean seriously, how does being able to run two programs on a Commlink equate to being broken?

Also he is just one person, and NOT the Voice Of God when it comes to Shadowrun. Hell, that's just HIS house rule and NOT official Errata for Data Trails.

I think he's just butthurt that someone found a way to wreck his precious Deckers and make them irrelevant in a combat situation.

** EDIT ** As was brought up on the thread you linked, running a Virtual Machine makes the commlink more liable to being bricked. That is enough of a downside in this edition.

Easy there, tiger. I wasn't presenting that as a "this is how it has to be" argument. I was using it as an example to illustrate my point that commlinks may get neutered in the future. That "even the writers don't want it to work," so don't be surprised if it is errata'd away. On the one hand, I get were they are coming from**... I mean they made cyberdecks so craptacular, they have to reduce the usefulness of commlinks to pull them away from being a better (in terms of cost and availability) hacking device than a cyberdeck.
An argument could be made that they should just fix cyberdecks, but these are the same people who ruled that cyber programs couldn't be copied - not because "we are trying to maintain a semblance of balance among the archetypes," but because "you (player characters) aren't able to defeat the copy protection." (I could rant about the dumbness of that statement for at least a day...) This is also the group of people that created a revised vehicle speed chart "in" Rigger 5.0 that never made it into the book - and they still haven't even released an Alpha version of an errata for players to download. You have to go digging through the forums to find a post by the author of said chart to even get a half assed version of it. Not to mention how I could rant about how they should have spent more time fixing the problems of the Core vehicle speed chart rather than create a whole new system to replace it... (In the authors defense, s/he claims they weren't allowed to fix the core material.)

Well... That was longer than I intended.... Anyway, the take away here is: "If you want to keep your sanity, don't try to apply any logic to the rules." It'll just end up hurting you in the end.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 22 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Updated some of my proposed rules.

My mind is telling me that I am missing something... But I am not seeing it. Can anyone tell me what holes are in my proposals?

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 22 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 21 2017, 12:38 PM) *

Interrupt Action
Initiative -10

Through careful monitoring and troubleshooting you can detect, and perhaps thwart, breeches.

This action allows you (or an Agent program) to add your Intuition (Agent Rating) to the monitored devices Firewall to resist Breech Defenses actions for the Combat Turn.

If any hits are rolled on the defensive test, the Breech attempt is detected, regardless if it succeeds.

My question about this is why would this affect the PC's initiative if he has an Agent running on his commlink? If he has no Agent: VERY fair, hell, with the speed of cyber combat, if you're not spending all your action, it's a fragging discount! If you've got an Agent it should be all that it's doing until it detects a breach, and then "It's Hammer Time!"

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 22 2017, 09:38 AM) *
This is going outside the scope of this thread.... But, pfffttt. It's "my" thread and I'll allow it.

**Before I go any further, I want to try and make it clear that I do NOT necessarily agree with the rulings, I'm simply relaying them.

First off, with the possible exception of 4e, Shadowrun has always had a hard time keeping up with technology. (Decks in 3e were essentially Commodore 64s that had to have a hardline connection to the Matrix to work) I don't blame the writers here. Computer tech is the quintessential "moving target." How many people would have guessed 'fridges and thermostats would need an internet connection to work fully a decade ago?

Except the Fridge and Thermostats don't need a 'Net connection to fully work. They need that connection so you can connect to them remotely. If your ISP went down you'd still be able to connect to them if you were on the LAN, like I can do with my Philips lights.

No**. The (semi) official explanation is that commlink apps are computationally intensive programs that are more advanced than PC programs are today. i.e.: The AR and VR games are more intensive than the MMOs and PC games today. So you can run Device Rating / 2 "PC+" games at one time on your commlink.

Except the AR/VR games are NOT cyber programs. They're commlink apps and NOT cyber programs. A better analogy would be commlink apps are android games and cyber programs are Adobe Acrobat, full on Photoshop, or Maya (what Hollyweird is using for Special Affects). VERY CPU/GPU intensive programs.

Easy there, tiger. I wasn't presenting that as a "this is how it has to be" argument. I was using it as an example to illustrate my point that commlinks may get neutered in the future. That "even the writers don't want it to work," so don't be surprised if it is errata'd away. On the one hand, I get were they are coming from**... I mean they made cyberdecks so craptacular, they have to reduce the usefulness of commlinks to pull them away from being a better (in terms of cost and availability) hacking device than a cyberdeck.

If they want to make commlinks even more worthless than they are now, then by all means let them. If I ever play 5th edition, then I'll ask the GM to allow me to run my commlink with Virtual Machine and two cyber programs. It is NOT game breaking. Hell for a 'Run my mage would just TURN OFF his commlink's wireless. A micro transceiver would work just fine for comms. If they allowed it then there would be a reason for 'Runners to take the risk of using wireless.

An argument could be made that they should just fix cyberdecks, but these are the same people who ruled that cyber programs couldn't be copied - not because "we are trying to maintain a semblance of balance among the archetypes," but because "you (player characters) aren't able to defeat the copy protection." (I could rant about the dumbness of that statement for at least a day...)

Actually, the pricing of cyberprograms is so damn cheap, that these programs ARE the copy protection broken programs and that "price" is what it costs to maintain them so that they actually continue to work. I mean, come on, 250 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for a cyber combat program? That's cheaper than what a full on COMMON program use to be in 4th edition.

Remember to buy Black Hammer (in 4th edition) at Rating 6 use to cost 6000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for a full on version. A Hacked version "only" set you back 600 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , AND you had to spend time/money to maintain it! Now though, programs don't have a rating, they just have a bonus/Special Effect to your Attack/Defense rating. For example: Biofeedback is the new Black Hammer. It's cheaper, AND you don't have to maintain it. It's just assumed that you've got a hacker connection that you paid to get a log in to download the latest version of your programs.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 23 2017, 01:30 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2017, 03:11 PM) *
My question about this is why would this affect the PC's initiative if he has an Agent running on his commlink? If he has no Agent: VERY fair, hell, with the speed of cyber combat, if you're not spending all your action, it's a fragging discount! If you've got an Agent it should be all that it's doing until it detects a breach, and then "It's Hammer Time!"

Agents have their own Initiative. Kind of like drones operating autonomously. Data Processing + Rating + Dice based on the mode the device is running. (2D6 if AR, 3D6 if the owner is running it Cold Sim, 4D6 for owner running it Hot.)
It is the only way they could act without anyone operating the device.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2017, 03:11 PM) *
Except the AR/VR games are NOT cyber programs. They're commlink apps and NOT cyber programs. A better analogy would be commlink apps are android games and cyber programs are Adobe Acrobat, full on Photoshop, or Maya (what Hollyweird is using for Special Affects). VERY CPU/GPU intensive programs.

We, the players, were instructed to look at it as any Matrix actions taken use the equivalent of Android apps. Matrix Search? Chrome / Firefox / Your favorite browser app. Edit File? The equivalent of Word / LibreOffice / OpenOffice or Picasa / Gimp, etc..
Commlink apps are more advanced versions of PC / Mac programs we run now.
Cyberprograms are so advanced and computationally intensive that players can't even fathom it.

Remember, I'm not saying this is proper, or logical. It is just what we are "supposed" to think about SR5 programs.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 23 2017, 01:35 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 22 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Agents have their own Initiative. Kind of like drones operating autonomously. Data Processing + Rating + Dice based on the mode the device is running. (2D6 if AR, 3D6 if the owner is running it Cold Sim, 4D6 for owner running it Hot.)
It is the only way they could act without anyone operating the device.

We, the players, were instructed to look at it as any Matrix actions taken use the equivalent of Android apps. Matrix Search? Chrome / Firefox / Your favorite browser app. Edit File? The equivalent of Word / LibreOffice / OpenOffice or Picasa / Gimp, etc..
Commlink apps are more advanced versions of PC / Mac programs we run now.
Cyberprograms are so advanced and computationally intensive that players can't even fathom it.

Remember, I'm not saying this is proper, or logical. It is just what we are "supposed" to think about SR5 programs.

Except you can't run Edit on a SR5 commlink. That's a cyber program.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Jul 23 2017, 01:43 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 22 2017, 08:35 PM) *
Except you can't run Edit on a SR5 commlink. That's a cyber program.

Except who said anything about running the Edit cyberprogram?

Hmm?

You need to stop trying to pick a fight so hard, and take that time to instead think about what is posted.

I said using the Edit File Matrix Action which you damn well can do on a commlink.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 23 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 22 2017, 09:43 PM) *
Except who said anything about running the Edit cyberprogram?

Hmm?

You need to stop trying to pick a fight so hard, and take that time to instead think about what is posted.

I said using the Edit File Matrix Action which you damn well can do on a commlink.

Whoa dude! Calm down. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just replying to your posts. Hell, it seems I'm the only who is doing so.

I just made a mistake.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Aug 8 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

(Revised) Matrix Perception: (2nd Draft)

Matrix Perception only works on Icons within 100m of the observing Persona, OR on the same Grid / Host outside of 100m with a -2 Dice Pool modifier. The only exception to this is Icons running Silent outside of 100m can't be detected by Matrix Perception, even if they are on the same Grid / Host

There are no longer any automatic results. However, should the observer not be under any stress they can buy hit(s) as normal.

To find an Icon that is outside 100m and on another Grid / Host (or on the same Grid / Host without taking a -2 Dice Pool modifier) requires a Matrix Search action. An Icon running Silent in this case is considered Hidden/Actively Erased for this test.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Aug 10 2017, 04:01 AM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Titan,

I would also put something in Matrix Perception that makes Wrapper actually effective.

** Rough Proposed amendment to Matrix Perception **

Wrapper programs due to their nature of overwriting Matrix Iconography, are only seen through with an opposed test of Computer + Intuition [Data Processing] vs. Logic + Sleaze. If the Persona doing the perceiving gets one net hit they realize something is wrong and try again. If they get 2+ net hits they blow through the Wrapper program and see what the icon really is.

--------------------------

EDIT

Is there a Perceive in Detail in SR5? I did a quick word search in the PDF, but I turned up nothing.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Aug 10 2017, 04:28 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 9 2017, 10:01 PM) *
Is there a Perceive in Detail in SR5? I did a quick word search in the PDF, but I turned up nothing.

Observe in Detail: pg 165 Core book, 2nd Printing.

As for Wrapper, I have an issue with it. It isn't the concept, I get it. It is like Matrix Concealment. Trying to hide Icons on your Persona, rather than items on your person.

My problem is how it interacts with the Matrix as it was designed. Let me explain.

First, unlike real world (in-game, that is) perception, you simply can not gain any information the Matrix doesn't already have. In order for you to be able to see through that Dodge Charger Icon to see it is really a fully armed Panzer Tank - means the Matrix already knew that ahead of time, since any info you get is transmitted to your system via the Matrix.

Second, if Wrapper really does override Matrix Protocols in order to not call out deadly weapons like normal, that is a GOD level violation, and should accrue Overwatch Score.

So it is a muddy area for me. For it to work, either Wrapper can not be seen through by others (like spoofing the MAC address of your computer) which is too overpowered, or it can be seen through - and that means writing exceptions that have to be observed and such.

I'll have to think on it - but it will take a while.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Aug 10 2017, 04:49 AM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Titan @ Aug 9 2017, 11:28 PM) *
Observe in Detail: pg 165 Core book, 2nd Printing.

OK, so I was silly and got the wrong search terms. Thanks for the heads up.

QUOTE (Titan @ Aug 9 2017, 11:28 PM) *
So it is a muddy area for me. For it to work, either Wrapper can not be seen through by others (like spoofing the MAC address of your computer) which is too overpowered, or it can be seen through - and that means writing exceptions that have to be observed and such.

I'll have to think on it - but it will take a while.

Maybe to blow through a Wrapper program, you have to do a Observe in Detail check and if you get one net hit (with the test I detailed above), then you blow through it.

My justification for this, If you see a "normal person", acting normally, walking along the street and when you do a Matrix perception test, you see he has a commlink and a taser... all perfectly legal, so you're not going to give him a second glance.

Later on you see another "normal person" walking along, but something about him is tripping your "Oh drek!" sense, and you scan his Matrix icons and only see a commlink, some cyberware (like eyes, ears, etc... all perfectly legal), and a taser. You decide to do a more in-depth check (because you're on alert) and get the net hit needed to blow through the Wrapper program for his taser and see it's an Ingram Smartgun. You can then start looking at the rest of the icons that say they're perfectly legal...

A 'Runner would be smart enough to either rip out the wireless in his gear all together, or have it turned off while he's walking about in "normal" life. A Gang Banger wouldn't be as intelligent.

------------------------------------

EDIT

Titan, I am wondering if you're going to come up with rules for custom cyberdecks and/or commlinks.

+Quote Post
Titan
post Aug 10 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 9 2017, 11:49 PM) *
Titan, I am wondering if you're going to come up with rules for custom cyberdecks and/or commlinks.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking form factors, like what Data Trails tried to do? Or are you talking full on "grab all the components, and bash together your own cyberdeck" that doesn't have to conform to the off the shelf decks?

If the later, that is a dangerous road for me to go down. I really can't stand the SR5 Build and Repair rules - or lack thereof. And I know just enough about "engineering" (in the game rules sense) to be able to hack together a reasonably accurate rules system >> that will piss everyone else off <<. To some, it won't be harsh enough. To others, it will be too harsh. (("What do you mean it takes my character months / years to build a house all by their self?" Because it does, ask me how I know.))
For example, off the top of my head, I would say to build a cyberdeck (or any electronic device, for that matter) would require an Edge test at the moment of assembly with a Threshold of the Device Rating of the device. Why Edge? Because it represents your Luck at not getting a component that is DOA. Now, this roll can be mitigated by taking the time to bench test every component. It would require a Hardware Shop (with a Facility granting bonuses of some sort) and extended tests per component (off hand, I would say an extended test per Device Rating) to make sure each component works right...
And then... "more." Something I would have to spend more time fleshing out.

Is that something you really want to see? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Now, back to Wrapper.

I must not be explaining it well... It isn't the game mechanics that I have an issue with. Your suggestions work fine. Alternatively, I could eventually come up with my own that "feel" better to me (regardless if yours are better or not)... But it doesn't change the issue I have with Wrapper. And that is for it to work anything like it is written now, "breaks" the logic of the game world.

See the Matrix takes a piss on the whole concept of Matrix Concealability. The SOP (Standard Operating Proceedure) is to take an item classified as "deadly weapon" and shift it outside your PAN so that it can always be identified quickly. Now we can debate what a deadly weapon is, but that is outside the scope of this discussion. The Matrix does this regardless of Legality. Let us say that a character (player, or otherwise) is carrying a Ares Predator V with wireless ON. It doesn't mater if they are completely SINless, have a fake SIN with proper fake licenses, or a real life, proper, citizen with a real SIN, real legitimate licenses to Carry and even Concealed Carry the Ares Predator. The Matrix still says "Hey EVERYBODY! This person is carrying an Ares Predator V!!!!" This can be mitigated by switching the weapon to run Silent, but then someone "spending" 1 hit on a Matrix Perception knows there are Icons running Silent in the area. It the Ares Predator is the only one, it is fairly vulnerable to being spotted, and then it is back to the Matrix shouting "Ares Predator here!!" for any who spot it.

You can take issue with that if you want. I won't blame you. To me it fits exactly into my view of how intrinsically fucked up the game world of 2070s is. Are you in line at your favorite Stuffer Shack with a hottie in line in front of you? Want their Commcode? Don't bother chatting them up, just "spend" one hit on a Matrix Perception test, and (as long as they aren't running Silent) bam! You got it. You can even "spend" a second hit to get the Grid they are on to help you judge just how out of your league they are (if they are on a Global Grid, gotta bring your "A game"). If they are running Silent, you will need to spot their Persona first, but if you do, then they are essentially no longer running Silent for you.
Want their address? That could happen - GM approval required for this one - because a SIN is required, by law, to be broadcast at all times. Address is part of the SIN. Now, it is debatable if the address is broadcast at all times... But I can totally see it happening.

To bring it back to Wrapper: The only item(s) it really needs to be used on are deadly weapons. It you want your cybereyes to look like a cyber-hat, for example, you can just use a Change Icon action to do that. There is something said about the Matrix eventually fixing Icons to fit its' designed structure, but there isn't anything detailed about it. I imagine it works something like Overwatch Score. (3d6 OS-equivalent every 15 minutes, Matrix gets tired of your impertinence at 40) Not that there will be Convergence, but eventually the Matrix turns your cybereyes Icon back to what it is supposed to look like.
Wrapper, on an item that isn't a deadly weapon, would just be a permanent version of Change Icon, in that it is permanent as long as Wrapper is running.

The problem comes about when someone tries to run Wrapper on a deadly weapon. The moment you use it to make the Matrix ignore the fact that your deadly weapon is deadly, you are violating Matrix Protocols on the level of GOD attention. If a successful Hack on the Fly action - that doesn't alert anyone else that it was performed - can accrue OS, then making a deadly weapon not appear as deadly should definitely do so as well.
That assumes, of course, that others can penetrate the Wrapper effect. If anyone else can see through the Wrapper effect, that requires the Matrix to know that its' protocols are overriden. If Wrapper can fool the Matrix enough to ignore the fact that its' protocols are overriden, then it can't been seen through by anyone else.

That is my issue.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.