Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What can you Dikote?, Useful without munchikinisms
BrazilRascal
post Feb 24 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,115

After _years_ of running games and yearning for some of my ungrateful friends to start something so I can be a player again, one of them has caught the hint and is starting a SR group. :rotfl:

Now that I am once again facing the challenge of making my character obeying rules (instead of just tailor-fititng my nPCs to the party), there are a few issues I'm havig with the Gear part (that accounts for 80% of making nearly all SR characters).

The main one is: what exactly can you Dikote?

This question regard mostly armor. According to the CC, it has to be rigid, non-kevlar armor. That excludes most armor that is not military (and that is already fearsome enough without the coating). Lined Coats have rigid plates inside, in addition to their ballistic fabric. Can those be dikoted and grant any benefit?

I've seen some non-canon characters with Dikoted Forearm Guards. While that does make sense (they seem to be quite rigid protection), would you allow it as a GM?

What else is there...Ares monoswords? Narcoject needles? Flechette rounds? Fang implants?

Plerase note that I don't intend to exploit every single instanc ein which the nifty Dikote bonuses can be applied. But sinc eone of the games I'm running is nearing its final stage, and the next one I start will likely be Shadowrun, I'd rather already deal with as many issues as possible. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Feb 24 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

AVS ally spirits.

My view is that if it can withstand the immense heat of the Dikote® process, it can be dikoted. Most metals and ceramics can be dikoted, IMO.
As always, YMMV.

+Quote Post
Gyro the Greek S...
post Feb 24 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,519

There are old threads about this...

+Quote Post
Endgame50
post Feb 24 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,496

I don't have anything to back this up, but it was always my understanding the kevlar was the main component of the ballistic rating and the plates were the main component of the impact. Even if that's not the case, I don't see why they couldn't be dikoted, but I don't know if they should give the full +1/1 armor bonus (which would represent the whole thing getting dikoted).

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 24 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Dikoting, how much is too much?
Dikote
You can make rigid plates out of kevlar, wittness kevlar helmets, but those would still be ruined in the Dikote furnace. Since the Lined Coat is so light, I'd assume any rigid plates in it are not made out of an armor steel or ceramic alloy and so would be ruined (basically reduced to soot) by the Dikoting process.

Kevlar, in flexible as well as in rigid form, provides very decent protection against most of the attacks which count as "Impact" in SR, and the advent of stab (and cut) resistant body armor in the past years gives me a reason to believe flexible body armor will only become better at this in the next 60 years. But, really, the canon B/I ratings of armor aren't exactly logical, so you can use whatever reasoning you prefer.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 24 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

A quick and dirty answer would be you can conceivably dikote anything that could survive insertion into the blast furnace where the coating is initially applied.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 24 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
AVS ally spirits.

I have to ask. That gag (?) has been around since before I joined DS, and I've never really gotten it. What's it all about? (I am SO not wanting to do a forum search on a dial up connection :S )

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 24 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

I'd dig out some classic discussions from the Old Forums, but they don't seem to be around anymore?

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Running Target

I've worked out that AVS probably stands for Ares Viper Slivergun, a wonderfully illogical piece of tech (right up there with the conceal 8 remington roomsweeper), but I don't get the ally spirit thing or why it comes up in reference to Dikoting (unless someone wanted to Dikote the flechettes... um... not sure how that would be done, but anyway). It also seems to get referenced to sex with ally spirits?

In other words - huh?!?!?!?!?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 25 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

While Jive.Dumpshock.Com is down, I think this thread captures the silliness rather well.

It's all to do with munchkinny or just plain silly stuff in SR that's been debated far too often for us to retain our sanity.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Feb 25 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

The general assumptions I've made are that Lined Coat, Armor Jacket, and Vest With Plates are the only non-combat armors one can apply a dikote glaze to in order to improve their armor ratings. Standard armor vest/clothing, as well as all securetech and designer armored apparel, do not employ the right sorts of materials. Any combat armor(security or military) can accept dikote treatment.

Those are just house rulings I've made, though. As far as I know, there have never been any specific canon rulings one way or the other with regard to specific pieces of armor. It is thus, at this moment, the game master's call. My calls are listed in the first paragraph. I also permit the dikoting of obvious cyberlimbs, so one could surmise that I am crazy.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Dikoting armor plates make sense if you've heard of the concept of hardened armor. Basically the face of the armoe is avery hard rigid material that the projectile shatters against. Since hard material tend to be very brittile, behind that is a softer material that will absorb any projectile that get through the first hard layer.
You can do this with one piece of metal. In the shop where my da used to work they hardened their own chisels by heating them cherry red with a blowtorch and then quenching them in oil. The tip was hardened but the stock was softer.
Modern Chobam armor for the Abrams Tank is a composite. In addition to hardened steel it has a hard layer of ceramic (glass can be very hard but brittile) and depleted uranium is the soft layer. The exact formula is a secret.
The Dikoted plate would be the hard part, the kevlar the soft part.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 25 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
My view is that if it can withstand the immense heat of the Dikote® process, it can be dikoted. Most metals and ceramics can be dikoted, IMO.
As always, YMMV.

Ditto.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Interesting question and Idea. Someone once mentioned that Dikoting a transmitter might boost a signal... would that work and why.

If so Why not an active pocket seceratary set to auto answer? With enough layers, take it in with you, get it close enough to a reciever and you wouldn't have to take your Decker into the facility with you. Would it work, if not why?

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Feb 25 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Useful items to dikote

the skate part of your ice skates

ballbearing in your roller skates/skateboard/ or engine

barrels of guns

your kitchen knife set

your twist ring glass cutter

your spiked 'brass knuckles'

climbing gear

masonary nails (for your nailgun)

your favorite sword/pimp cane dikote the steel tip too

your shower curtain rod (never know when ghouls are gonna crash in for lunch)

your front door, siding, ceramic inserts in your furniture, then get polorized armor glass window

every circuit board you own (reduces heat)

your gun safe

a fake credstick (all the better for improvised weapons)

your mirrorshades

the ceramic casing on your pocket secretary

your helicopters rotors

the turbines in your jet

all your basic tools

your implanted retractable fangs (jawbreakers are history)

the ballbearings in your improvised claymore mines

if all else failed dikote a dimond and watch your GM go "huh?"

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 25 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Pthgar @ Feb 25 2005, 02:04 PM)
Modern Chobam armor for the Abrams Tank is a composite.  In addition to hardened steel it has a hard layer of ceramic (glass can be very hard but brittile) and depleted uranium is the soft layer.  The exact formula is a secret.

Eh, are you sure there is a depleted uranium layer? I mean you have depleted uranium shells because of the density of the depleted uranium hence the greater mass and weight, but depleted uranium armour? I want my armour to be light, not heavy.

And for those who are still wondering: it is a Dikoted AVS Ally Spirit.

Dikoted because you can Dikote everything. AVS because it is such a great gun. And in human form, you can have sex with your ally spirit.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Interesting question and Idea. Someone once mentioned that Dikoting a transmitter might boost a signal... would that work and why.

If so Why not an active pocket seceratary set to auto answer? With enough layers, take it in with you, get it close enough to a reciever and you wouldn't have to take your Decker into the facility with you. Would it work, if not why?

From modern commercial applications of Dikote, I see nothing that would indicate that it would help at all to boost transmitter signal. Dikote makes for great thermal dispersion and corrosion-resistant surfaces, with applications similar to Teflon, but not much else:

http://www.p1diamond.com/cvd_diam.html

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

I wan tmy armour to be light, not heavy.
Depleted Uranium Armor. As long as I'm assured there wouldn't be a nuclear bomb effect if it does get hit with a DU/Blueberry round I'd go ahead and say Great for Vehicles, but not what I'll be wearing on my person.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:31 AM
Post #19

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Speaking of armor, I wonder if SR has an equivalent to the armor shown in these trials:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...19%2Fnmod19.xml

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
While Jive.Dumpshock.Com is down, I think this thread captures the silliness rather well.

It's all to do with munchkinny or just plain silly stuff in SR that's been debated far too often for us to retain our sanity.

Cheers AE, and that's a hell of a read :)

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Feb 25 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Ill take dikoted search functions for 500 alex

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Feb 25 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (toturi)
Eh, are you sure there is a depleted uranium layer? I mean you have depleted uranium shells because of the density of the depleted uranium hence the greater mass and weight, but depleted uranium armour? I want my armour to be light, not heavy.

I'm absolutely sure. Modern Abrams add a face plate of uranium to their armor. The process was started on the M1A1. Google up: Abrams uranium armor

For vehicular armors facing very high velocity threats ("long rod penetrators" and HEAT), DU is more than worth its weight, so you could say it is "light armor" - you'd need more weight of almost any other material to get the same protection benefits.

As long as I'm assured there wouldn't be a nuclear bomb effect if it does get hit with a DU/Blueberry round

Consider yourself assured.

The only way you can make depleted uranium into a functional part of a nuclear bomb is to set off a large fusion bomb inside a jacket of depleted uranium. If you have large fusion bombs going off inside your vehicle's armor, I wouldn't really worry about whether your armor is also making a nuclear explosion.

Natural uranium (let alone depleted uranium) is generally unsuited to support nuclear reactions. You can get natural uranium to power certain types of nuclear reactions, but depleted uranium is a complete loss as far as nuclear reactions go.

The reason DU is used in armor is because it is waste from the uranium enrichment process (where uranium is turned into useful fuel), and thus is cheap - the nuclear industry wants nothing to do with the depleted uranium. Competing metals like tungsten are much more expensive and harder to work into armor.

So, no, don't worry about DU armor being hit by DU rounds. DU sucks as far as nuclear reactions go.

I'd go ahead and say Great for Vehicles, but not what I'll be wearing on my person.

Depleted uranium is about the weakest radiation source out there. A layer of paint will block its radiation, as will your outer (dead) skin cells. Contrary to certain hysteric reports, DU isn't particularly toxic either, about the same as lead. Prior to the advent of Kevlar, I recall lead had some use in armor vests.

What he said.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Feb 25 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Running Target

The only way you can make depleted uranium into a functional part of a nuclear bomb is to set off a large fusion bomb inside a jacket of depleted uranium. If you have large fusion bombs going off inside your vehicle's armor, I wouldn't really worry about whether your armor is also making a nuclear explosion.

Natural uranium (let alone depleted uranium) is generally unsuited to support nuclear reactions. You can get natural uranium to power certain types of nuclear reactions, but depleted uranium is a complete loss as far as nuclear reactions go.

The reason DU is used in armor is because it is waste from the uranium enrichment process (where uranium is turned into useful fuel), and thus is cheap - the nuclear industry wants nothing to do with the depleted uranium. Competing metals like tungsten are much more expensive and harder to work into armor.

Ok, so far so good. What about these so-called "uranium tipped" rounds? I've only encountered them in fiction - eg in one of the Shadowrun novels (I think it was the one with the fiberoptic cable tap) where someone's toting around an archaic Barret Light 50 and using them. The fiction describes them as having a kind of fireball effect when they compress at high speed against body armour. I freely admit to not knowing enough about uranium reactions to know if that makes any kind of sense. Anyone?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

QUOTE (Cray74 @ Feb 25 2005, 09:28 AM)
I'm absolutely sure. Modern Abrams add a face plate of uranium to their armor.

Thanks for the backup Cray. I was asleep.

Dr.Jest, DU "tipped" probably means a APDS with a DU penetrator rod. DU penetrators on tank rounds are talked about here and here

The relevent portion to your comment is this:
On impact with a hard target (such as a tank) the penetrator may generate a cloud of DU dust within the struck vehicle that ignites spontaneously creating a fire that increases the damage to the target. Due to the pyrophoric nature of DU, many of the DU particles and fragments that are formed during and following impact and perforation will spontaneously ignite, resulting in a shift of the particle size probability distribution function to a smaller mean diameter. As a result of physical differences between DU and its oxides, the oxide particles tend to crumble under relatively weak mechanical forces, further shifting the particle size to an even smaller mean diameter.

I can't see a .50 cal DU round doing this. I would think that if you could get a .50 cal DU round it would just pass through the body armor (and body) like it was butter. Body armor isn't hard enough to cause the fireball effect.
The whole globalsecurity.org website is awsome for this sort of info.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 25 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (DrJest)
I've only encountered them in fiction - eg in one of the Shadowrun novels (I think it was the one with the fiberoptic cable tap) where someone's toting around an archaic Barret Light 50 and using them.

Yup, pure fiction. DU small arms ammunition has never existed out of a drawing board. The smallest DU round I'm aware of is the US M919 APDS-T fin-stabilized round for the M242 25mm cannon (found e.g. on the M2/M3 Bradley). No idea whether the Soviets designed DU ammunition for 23mm or 20mm cannons.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.