Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 PDF - New Release date?
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,571

Does anybody know when the PDF will be available for download? And I explicitely don't want to know when it will be finished, I want to know when I (the customer) can download it.
Will it be this weekend? Monday? 30th of August? Next Year? Someday this millenia?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Are we there yet?

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Aug 27 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

Just take a look at this thread! 8)

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 27 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

It will be officially available for download sometime between now... and then. :D

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 27 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

QUOTE (blakkie)
Are we there yet?

Yes we are asking that question. Too bad the anwer we get is much worse than the one any sensible father would give, that is; "five minutes sooner than last time you asked".

What is happening here is we ask and pops answers "2 and 1/2 hours from now", and we commence shouting and hitting eachother over the head like nice little kids until the given time comes. Then we ask again. And the process repeats itself. :P

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #6

Target

It's just that I would love to know, whether there are any chancec of seeing the pdf this weekend or not.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 27 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Karma Police

not

anything else would be nothing short of a miracle

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Dragon

QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 27 2005, 09:47 AM)
not

anything else would be nothing short of a miracle

Ya, with Adam still waiting on answers, and it being the weekend. Then there is Battlecorps. Chances of a PDF finished today getting put up there for sale on the weekend? I'd put it at nil.

See ya Monday, folks........

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #9

Target

There is just one big thing I dont really understand: Why get the first publication of the pdf perfect?
You can just as easy publish a not-100-pro-perfect version - because anybody buying the pdf can download a new (perfect) version several days later at no cost (neither for FanPro, nor for BattleCorps (apart from the traffic which shouldn't be that expensive), nor for us fans)
You could publish it, add an disclaimer saying "It's not perfect, we will fix it. If you don't like unperfectness - buy it later. If you are one of those hardcore fans camping before their monitors in Cap Chaos dressing - buy it, read it, love it"

And the 2nd thing: Is no one at FanPro interested in selling the book, earning money and not seriously pissing off fans? I mean .. Yeah, its weekend. So what? Picking up the phone (video-conference, IM. whatever), get those questions cleared, get the pdf ready, get it to battlecorps (if they don't want to earn money - who wants?), and good be it.

( I can see my boss growing red in his face if I would say "Yeah, I fix that server monday, after my weekend" ...
BTW I actually AM seriously pissed off. If there would be an alternative - I would leave FanPro just for this little incident. I am NOT blaming Adam nor anybody else specifically (I don't know who is to blame ..)
But - when I set a release date for software, and my software is not there - I WILL loose money, contracts, ... If I set a date when a new server will be around - and I can't be holding on to it - I WILL loose money, contracts (and (in my case) possibly my job).
I'm not creating the pdf AFTER everything else is finished, I'm creating it on the run. If I can't get those hyperlinks to work within the release date, I get it to work without and publish an easy-to-install, no-cost patch ...)

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Aug 27 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I agree with Tirsales (which surprises no one.)

Adam made some posts in the other SR4 pdf thread early this morning, one of which said, "It's done when it's done." This is an excruciating thing to say about an internet release. There are a lot of hardcore fans with their bank cards sitting on their keyboards, ready at any instant to give Fan Pro money, and we are compulsively checking shadowrunrpg.com every fifteen minutes, in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Anyway, if there's no chance of seeing it this weekend, we'd like to know that, so we can leave srrpg.com alone.

+Quote Post
morlock76
post Aug 27 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,559

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
... in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Mate ... I am SURE that you can comprehend a ton more SR information after spending the weekend with her.
Youll be way less frustrated (because of her and not checking srrpg.com) so consider checking srrpg.com once she had to leave and not a sec earlier.

I took the liberty inbetween rebuilding my IKEA kitchen to check on here but I am glad I didnt have to sit and stare at no updates.

Adam has done a great job, hes been pretty upfront on informations I had just loved to have heared from him: sorry, I tried all I could but next week it will be.

By now Id say, if I was him, itll be done next week, or the week after that.
We all would be WAY happy if he was earlier then planned :-)

So ... turn off the PC and send me a IM sunday about the ... course of events *lol*

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 27 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #12

Karma Police

I agree with Tirsales (which surprises no one.)

Adam made some posts in the other SR4 pdf thread early this morning, one of which said, "It's done when it's done." This is an excruciating thing to say about an internet release. There are a lot of hardcore fans with their bank cards sitting on their keyboards, ready at any instant to give Fan Pro money, and we are compulsively checking shadowrunrpg.com every fifteen minutes, in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Anyway, if there's no chance of seeing it this weekend, we'd like to know that, so we can leave srrpg.com alone.

Tough choice for Adam then: "Do I leave them hanging without another estimate thereby covering my own ass, or do I give them one and risk letting them down again?"

I really hope the folks at FanPro are learning something about public relations during the course of this. It´s a simple fact that they have managed to piss of just about everybody who is interested at some point.

(I do agree that Adam has been way more honest and up front than could be expected of him. Question is if it has been a good thing)

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Target

And I hope, that they are NOT only learning "Don't give release dates" but ... Speed up a bit ;-)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Dragon

QUOTE (tirsales)
There is just one big thing I dont really understand: Why get the first publication of the pdf perfect?
You can just as easy publish a not-100-pro-perfect version - because anybody buying the pdf can download a new (perfect) version several days later at no cost (neither for FanPro, nor for BattleCorps (apart from the traffic which shouldn't be that expensive), nor for us fans)
You could publish it, add an disclaimer saying "It's not perfect, we will fix it. If you don't like unperfectness - buy it later. If you are one of those hardcore fans camping before their monitors in Cap Chaos dressing - buy it, read it, love it"

The really scary part is that you are serious. :wobble:

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 27 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #15

Karma Police

<<edit>> mintcar bitching overload detected. post deleted. //

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE ("blakkie")
The really scary part is that you are serious.  :wobble:

Of course I am serious. I can see the flaws in my proposal - but I can see even more in FanPros version ...

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 05:41 PM
Post #17

Dragon

QUOTE (tirsales)
QUOTE ("blakkie")
The really scary part is that you are serious.  :wobble:

Of course I am serious. I can see the flaws in my proposal - but I can see even more in FanPros version ...

Yes, truely frightening.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Aug 27 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I think tirsales has a very good point about the pdf. In fact, it's almost exactly like putting errata online afer the release of a hardcopy.

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #19

Target

It's far better than putting errata for the hardcopy online - as you don't have to paste or write them into your book, but insted of this you just have a new, shiny, error-proof version. You just had to live some days with a not-perfect. But I suppose 80% is better than nothing ...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 27 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It's a bad idea. So is letting release dates slip. The decision of which is worse is one that I'm glad I don't have to make.

~J

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Aug 27 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #21

Target

We are all aware that the best version would be: Set a release date and publish the PDF accordingly.
Most companys are managing to do so, I wonder why FanPro is not.

So ... Why not getting a beta pdf? The gaming industrie has done this - with great success - for quite a long time. Customers would then have the choice of either getting the beta and later the normal release. If you don't like betas - just wait. You would then wait as long as you are doing no. But you wouldn't need to wait. You would have the freedom to choose. Where is the problem with that?

As for FanPro - they would get lots of testplayers and lectors for free - and would "miss" all those pissed-off-fans annoyed of another release dated slipped by.
I would write error-reports - and I bet so would others.

It would be a bad idea to JUST publish the beta - but that was never an option I had proposed.

Summary: My proposal gives the customers the freedom to choose wether they want to wait and get a normal version or prefer not to wait - and get a beta.

Customers win: Choise between waiting and not waiting
FanPro wins: They are not pissing off fans, and they get lectors for free ... Heck, that way they could even "debug" the hardcopy before it goes to printing (not with this book - but perhaps with the next? Publish the pdf, wait for the first errata, than go to printing ... I would do it that way. But then - I had my experience from developing software where betas are an old, and much-beloved tradition.)

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 27 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

Is Adam waiting for responses from various writers so that he can correct errors he found? If so does that mean that the first run of the hard copy (which I assume is done or nearly so) is going to contain errors he fixed in the PDF?

+Quote Post
Zematus
post Aug 27 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,630

Oh no the PDF has slipped a week!

The natives are getting restless...What ever should FanPro do?

- Should they fire everyone involved because a project had delays?
- Should they go through the entire release-to-distribution process with an "imperfect" copy to appease a few posters, only to go through the whole process AGAIN later?
- Should they spend hours responding to every "Why is it late? This is unacceptable! If *I* were running FanPro it wouldn't be late..." post?
- Should they forego things like sleep, food, much-needed vacation or family time just so you can have your precious little piece of entertainment?

No, but someone should call the Waaaaaaahmbulance for the whole lot of whiney, impatient, intolerant, clueless "fans" who have no idea what is involved in a product publication/distribution and think that everything is "easy" and the ONLY reason that something could not be "on time and according to schedule" is simply due to willful laziness and incompetence.

Right.

Just do us all a favor: Shut-The-Frag-Up, stop contributing to the "noise", cultivate a little patience and let the people do their job.

If not, by all means, please start your own publishing company and produce a quality line of products with a large fanbase stretching almost 2 decades... afterall it's "easy".

Thank you.

Please resume your regularly scheduled b!tching and moaning.

** I apologize if this came across as overly hostile to anyone... it's probably because it is directed at you and you need to chill.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 27 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

QUOTE (Zematus @ Aug 27 2005, 07:02 PM)
** I apologize if this came across as overly hostile to anyone... it's probably because it is directed at you and you need to chill.

AMEN!

Far as I'm concerned Adam should be taking the weekend off, enjoying himself, and getting back onto this on Monday, with a clear head, good nights sleep, and doing the best he can to ready the PDF the way he believes it should be, not some half assed, rushed out the door POS because some whiney twits are getting their panties in a bunch.

It didn't come out yesterday.

Big. Fraggin'. Deal.

Just because the PDF didn't come doesn't mean the world ends.

Get over it. Go outside, enjoy the last of these summer days while you can, and stop pestering Adam.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Aug 27 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (mintcar)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 09:41 AM)
Are we there yet?

Yes we are asking that question. Too bad the anwer we get is much worse than the one any sensible father would give, that is; "five minutes sooner than last time you asked".

What is happening here is we ask and pops answers "2 and 1/2 hours from now", and we commence shouting and hitting eachother over the head like nice little kids until the given time comes. Then we ask again. And the process repeats itself. :P

Only we haven't been given a date/time that we'd be able to buy the PDF from Battlecorps except that [ill chosen] date that Rob put up in the #6 FAQ.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.