Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 PDF - New Release date?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
tirsales
Does anybody know when the PDF will be available for download? And I explicitely don't want to know when it will be finished, I want to know when I (the customer) can download it.
Will it be this weekend? Monday? 30th of August? Next Year? Someday this millenia?
blakkie
Are we there yet?
Oracle
Just take a look at this thread! cool.gif
ShadowGhost
It will be officially available for download sometime between now... and then. biggrin.gif
mintcar
QUOTE (blakkie)
Are we there yet?

Yes we are asking that question. Too bad the anwer we get is much worse than the one any sensible father would give, that is; "five minutes sooner than last time you asked".

What is happening here is we ask and pops answers "2 and 1/2 hours from now", and we commence shouting and hitting eachother over the head like nice little kids until the given time comes. Then we ask again. And the process repeats itself. nyahnyah.gif
tirsales
It's just that I would love to know, whether there are any chancec of seeing the pdf this weekend or not.
mintcar
not

anything else would be nothing short of a miracle
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 27 2005, 09:47 AM)
not

anything else would be nothing short of a miracle

Ya, with Adam still waiting on answers, and it being the weekend. Then there is Battlecorps. Chances of a PDF finished today getting put up there for sale on the weekend? I'd put it at nil.

See ya Monday, folks........
tirsales
There is just one big thing I dont really understand: Why get the first publication of the pdf perfect?
You can just as easy publish a not-100-pro-perfect version - because anybody buying the pdf can download a new (perfect) version several days later at no cost (neither for FanPro, nor for BattleCorps (apart from the traffic which shouldn't be that expensive), nor for us fans)
You could publish it, add an disclaimer saying "It's not perfect, we will fix it. If you don't like unperfectness - buy it later. If you are one of those hardcore fans camping before their monitors in Cap Chaos dressing - buy it, read it, love it"

And the 2nd thing: Is no one at FanPro interested in selling the book, earning money and not seriously pissing off fans? I mean .. Yeah, its weekend. So what? Picking up the phone (video-conference, IM. whatever), get those questions cleared, get the pdf ready, get it to battlecorps (if they don't want to earn money - who wants?), and good be it.

( I can see my boss growing red in his face if I would say "Yeah, I fix that server monday, after my weekend" ...
BTW I actually AM seriously pissed off. If there would be an alternative - I would leave FanPro just for this little incident. I am NOT blaming Adam nor anybody else specifically (I don't know who is to blame ..)
But - when I set a release date for software, and my software is not there - I WILL loose money, contracts, ... If I set a date when a new server will be around - and I can't be holding on to it - I WILL loose money, contracts (and (in my case) possibly my job).
I'm not creating the pdf AFTER everything else is finished, I'm creating it on the run. If I can't get those hyperlinks to work within the release date, I get it to work without and publish an easy-to-install, no-cost patch ...)
Zen Shooter01
I agree with Tirsales (which surprises no one.)

Adam made some posts in the other SR4 pdf thread early this morning, one of which said, "It's done when it's done." This is an excruciating thing to say about an internet release. There are a lot of hardcore fans with their bank cards sitting on their keyboards, ready at any instant to give Fan Pro money, and we are compulsively checking shadowrunrpg.com every fifteen minutes, in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Anyway, if there's no chance of seeing it this weekend, we'd like to know that, so we can leave srrpg.com alone.
morlock76
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
... in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Mate ... I am SURE that you can comprehend a ton more SR information after spending the weekend with her.
Youll be way less frustrated (because of her and not checking srrpg.com) so consider checking srrpg.com once she had to leave and not a sec earlier.

I took the liberty inbetween rebuilding my IKEA kitchen to check on here but I am glad I didnt have to sit and stare at no updates.

Adam has done a great job, hes been pretty upfront on informations I had just loved to have heared from him: sorry, I tried all I could but next week it will be.

By now Id say, if I was him, itll be done next week, or the week after that.
We all would be WAY happy if he was earlier then planned smile.gif

So ... turn off the PC and send me a IM sunday about the ... course of events *lol*
mintcar
I agree with Tirsales (which surprises no one.)

Adam made some posts in the other SR4 pdf thread early this morning, one of which said, "It's done when it's done." This is an excruciating thing to say about an internet release. There are a lot of hardcore fans with their bank cards sitting on their keyboards, ready at any instant to give Fan Pro money, and we are compulsively checking shadowrunrpg.com every fifteen minutes, in spite of the coltish brunette in the living room who's specifically come down from her home in the midwest this weekend just to have sex with us.

Anyway, if there's no chance of seeing it this weekend, we'd like to know that, so we can leave srrpg.com alone.

Tough choice for Adam then: "Do I leave them hanging without another estimate thereby covering my own ass, or do I give them one and risk letting them down again?"

I really hope the folks at FanPro are learning something about public relations during the course of this. It´s a simple fact that they have managed to piss of just about everybody who is interested at some point.

(I do agree that Adam has been way more honest and up front than could be expected of him. Question is if it has been a good thing)
tirsales
And I hope, that they are NOT only learning "Don't give release dates" but ... Speed up a bit wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (tirsales)
There is just one big thing I dont really understand: Why get the first publication of the pdf perfect?
You can just as easy publish a not-100-pro-perfect version - because anybody buying the pdf can download a new (perfect) version several days later at no cost (neither for FanPro, nor for BattleCorps (apart from the traffic which shouldn't be that expensive), nor for us fans)
You could publish it, add an disclaimer saying "It's not perfect, we will fix it. If you don't like unperfectness - buy it later. If you are one of those hardcore fans camping before their monitors in Cap Chaos dressing - buy it, read it, love it"

The really scary part is that you are serious. wobble.gif
mintcar
<<edit>> mintcar bitching overload detected. post deleted. //
tirsales
QUOTE ("blakkie")
The really scary part is that you are serious.  wobble.gif

Of course I am serious. I can see the flaws in my proposal - but I can see even more in FanPros version ...
blakkie
QUOTE (tirsales)
QUOTE ("blakkie")
The really scary part is that you are serious.  wobble.gif

Of course I am serious. I can see the flaws in my proposal - but I can see even more in FanPros version ...

Yes, truely frightening.
Zen Shooter01
I think tirsales has a very good point about the pdf. In fact, it's almost exactly like putting errata online afer the release of a hardcopy.
tirsales
It's far better than putting errata for the hardcopy online - as you don't have to paste or write them into your book, but insted of this you just have a new, shiny, error-proof version. You just had to live some days with a not-perfect. But I suppose 80% is better than nothing ...
Kagetenshi
It's a bad idea. So is letting release dates slip. The decision of which is worse is one that I'm glad I don't have to make.

~J
tirsales
We are all aware that the best version would be: Set a release date and publish the PDF accordingly.
Most companys are managing to do so, I wonder why FanPro is not.

So ... Why not getting a beta pdf? The gaming industrie has done this - with great success - for quite a long time. Customers would then have the choice of either getting the beta and later the normal release. If you don't like betas - just wait. You would then wait as long as you are doing no. But you wouldn't need to wait. You would have the freedom to choose. Where is the problem with that?

As for FanPro - they would get lots of testplayers and lectors for free - and would "miss" all those pissed-off-fans annoyed of another release dated slipped by.
I would write error-reports - and I bet so would others.

It would be a bad idea to JUST publish the beta - but that was never an option I had proposed.

Summary: My proposal gives the customers the freedom to choose wether they want to wait and get a normal version or prefer not to wait - and get a beta.

Customers win: Choise between waiting and not waiting
FanPro wins: They are not pissing off fans, and they get lectors for free ... Heck, that way they could even "debug" the hardcopy before it goes to printing (not with this book - but perhaps with the next? Publish the pdf, wait for the first errata, than go to printing ... I would do it that way. But then - I had my experience from developing software where betas are an old, and much-beloved tradition.)
Stormdrake
Is Adam waiting for responses from various writers so that he can correct errors he found? If so does that mean that the first run of the hard copy (which I assume is done or nearly so) is going to contain errors he fixed in the PDF?
Zematus
Oh no the PDF has slipped a week!

The natives are getting restless...What ever should FanPro do?

- Should they fire everyone involved because a project had delays?
- Should they go through the entire release-to-distribution process with an "imperfect" copy to appease a few posters, only to go through the whole process AGAIN later?
- Should they spend hours responding to every "Why is it late? This is unacceptable! If *I* were running FanPro it wouldn't be late..." post?
- Should they forego things like sleep, food, much-needed vacation or family time just so you can have your precious little piece of entertainment?

No, but someone should call the Waaaaaaahmbulance for the whole lot of whiney, impatient, intolerant, clueless "fans" who have no idea what is involved in a product publication/distribution and think that everything is "easy" and the ONLY reason that something could not be "on time and according to schedule" is simply due to willful laziness and incompetence.

Right.

Just do us all a favor: Shut-The-Frag-Up, stop contributing to the "noise", cultivate a little patience and let the people do their job.

If not, by all means, please start your own publishing company and produce a quality line of products with a large fanbase stretching almost 2 decades... afterall it's "easy".

Thank you.

Please resume your regularly scheduled b!tching and moaning.

** I apologize if this came across as overly hostile to anyone... it's probably because it is directed at you and you need to chill.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Zematus @ Aug 27 2005, 07:02 PM)
** I apologize if this came across as overly hostile to anyone... it's probably because it is directed at you and you need to chill.

AMEN!

Far as I'm concerned Adam should be taking the weekend off, enjoying himself, and getting back onto this on Monday, with a clear head, good nights sleep, and doing the best he can to ready the PDF the way he believes it should be, not some half assed, rushed out the door POS because some whiney twits are getting their panties in a bunch.

It didn't come out yesterday.

Big. Fraggin'. Deal.

Just because the PDF didn't come doesn't mean the world ends.

Get over it. Go outside, enjoy the last of these summer days while you can, and stop pestering Adam.
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 09:41 AM)
Are we there yet?

Yes we are asking that question. Too bad the anwer we get is much worse than the one any sensible father would give, that is; "five minutes sooner than last time you asked".

What is happening here is we ask and pops answers "2 and 1/2 hours from now", and we commence shouting and hitting eachother over the head like nice little kids until the given time comes. Then we ask again. And the process repeats itself. nyahnyah.gif

Only we haven't been given a date/time that we'd be able to buy the PDF from Battlecorps except that [ill chosen] date that Rob put up in the #6 FAQ.
tirsales
First: I apologize for being impatient, whiney, ... (And for spamming to this forum as I do know that it had not always been intopic. But I had and still have the feeling that I am not the only one disappointed here)
So, I mean it. It's just that I was really looking forward to this release. And that I am seriously disappointed that a company can't keep to their schedule.

Second: To your posting Zematus.
QUOTE ("Zematus")
No, but someone should call the Waaaaaaahmbulance for the whole lot of whiney, impatient, intolerant, clueless "fans" who have no idea what is involved in a product publication/distribution and think that everything is "easy" and the ONLY reason that something could not be "on time and according to schedule" is simply due to willful laziness and incompetence.

First: thanks for calling the ambulance. I already am feeling better *sigh*

Second: Ever heard the word flame?

Third: I don't think that everything is easy.

Fourth: Yes, I have absolutely no idea of the publication business. My mother has been an author, but I never tried to release a book nor have I ever led a publishing company. All my experience with publishing is linked to software, homepages and administrating servers. So perhaps I should have shut my big mouth rather earlier. But why are you reading this thread if it pisses you off to here me whining?

Fifth: I have NEVER blamed anyone for being willful lazi or incompetent. I DO think rather highly of Adam Jury and all those developers out there, being them freelancers or FanPro employees.
I like FanPros products, especially Shadowrun. I DO like those pdfs. I DISLIKE being mucked about. And I do feel like this. And most companys DO keep to their schedule - so they must manage somehow.

Six: My proposal regarding those "beta releases" has been a serious proposal. As I already have stated I DO have some experience with software and it IS of great value to release a beta. I DO like betas. (And yes, it is costing the companys bandwith and traffic as well) I never asked for an open playtesting - I just would LOVE to have the pdf (with the rules as they would have been published anyway) unperfect and full of mistakes - but some time earlier - and would willingly participate in correcting it. And I DO think that it would help FanPro delivering a better product.

Seventh: I never proposed to have anyone fired. I just stated that I would probably have lost my job - and I WOULDN'T have liked that.

Eigth: I NEVER asked Jury or anybody else from FanPro to tell me a new release date - I JUST asked if anybody happens to have any information - perhaps someone who knows Mr. Jury or wherever this information could have been from.

Ninth: And I DIDN'T ask him to stop his vacation - somewhere I stated that I like finishing a job before I go into vacation - but I am I (and far from being perfect) and others like to do it another way. So I do grant him his vacation from all my heart - I hope he really could relax.

Tenth:
I do appologize if I pissed someone off or spamed to much or whatever - I never intended to.
I do appologize for my english as I am not a native speaker.
I do appologize for not having as much patiance as apparently some on this board seem to have.
I do NOT appologize for my opinion since it never has been meant as an insult to anyone or as a critic on someone.
I do NOT appologize for my proposal since it has been serious and since I DO believe that it would do FanPro good.
I do NOT appologize for really having looked forward to this release.
I do NOT appologize for feeling a bit mucked about.
I do NOT appologize for this answear (being it spam or not) since I had been insulted and since I really needed to respond. Just don't read it if you hate it.
Zen Shooter01
Zematus, you're repeating the apologist argument without addressing any of the points in the anti-delay camp. But this makes me realize that the anti-delay argument needs to be laid out in a clear, point-by-point format.

1.) Shadowrun books always miss their release dates. Sure, if 15% or 20% of books were late, we'd say, c'est la vie. But a 100% failure rate is not acceptable. A 100% failure rate is not something I will let sail by without criticizing.

2.) It is bad business. It is just. Plain. Bad. Business. We the fans love the game. We the fans want to see the company succeed in order to see the game continue. We the fans have grave doubts about the survivability of a company who's credibility is so low that it's public announcements about upcoming releases inspire derisive laughter among its most loyal customers.

3.) We are not demanding rushed over good; there is no choice between rushed and good. Experienced Fan Pro personnel should be able to look at the fact that the last four books were late (or totally miscarried), and judge that on their next project they should allocate more time and/or more personnel to get the job done well and on time. We wouldn't mind if SR4 came out in December, as long as December was the official release date.

Fan Pro sets their own release dates. Why don't they give themselves the time they need?

4.) We are accusing no one of laziness. We are accusing Fan Pro of not being able to organize a trip to the bathroom. Adam's reply to questions about the PDF has been that he has been working very hard on a lot of other things. Okay: so why was Adam saddled with this impossible workload? Bad organization. Absurd scheduling. Come on! SoA, SoLA, LA, SF, SR4, oh, and by the way, Gencon too, all within six months? We could see that it was never going to happen. Why couldn't they?

5.) We are not whining. We are not making selfish demands on Fan Pro; we are eager to enrich Fan Pro by buying their product. Fan Pro is not doing us a favor. We are keeping Fan Pro in business by buying their books with our very hard earned dollars. And we have repeatedly been told things that are not true.

In fact, this sort of eagerness to buy is exactly the attitude a game company wants to create in its customers. Fan Pro is very ill-advised not to treat it with a lot more respect.
mintcar
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 27 2005, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 09:41 AM)
Are we there yet?

Only we haven't been given a date/time that we'd be able to buy the PDF from Battlecorps except that [ill chosen] date that Rob put up in the #6 FAQ.

Never the less that´s what´s happening if Adam is the dad in that allegory. He told us wednesday, then told us thursday, then told us next week (later specifying friday) then told us "when it´s done". Just jabing back at you a bit. I don´t much care about the unofficial estimates he made. To me they´re mostly just a testiment to an unusual honesty or personal touch (and a testiment to a rather bad case of time optimism).
blakkie
I didn't see anywhere he said it would get up on Battlecorps on Friday?

Just jabing back at you a bit.

At me? Well you missed badly then. But if you are going to play like that *throws mintcar's Gi Joe out the window* WHAT EVER HE SAYS I DIDN"T DO IT!
Fizzygoo
FanPro is Fizzygoo's crack dealer. Fizzygoo wants his crack.
Shadowrun is the crack's meow, it's Fizzygoo's yummy snack.
Fizzygoo once met Mr. Boyle, coolest man working
In itty-bitty office with no staff to be found lurking
'Cause after the collapse of Freedonia's empire expanse
Most of the writers went rogue or are working dealing freelance.
Fizzygoo's tense with anticipation for his lovely crack
Like a mad sammie with move-by-wire he's ready to attack!
But it is Fizzygoo's fault for getting hooked on the sweet rock
It's Fizzygoo's fault - letting Shadowrun be his social clock.
Yet even though Shadowrun products are often really late,
Declaring one set date but working towards a different date,
Shadowrun's too good, too fun, to turn him to another game.
So on time or if it's late
----- Shadowrun is Fizzygoo's crack, all the same.
Triggerz
rotate.gif wobble.gif spin.gif twirl.gif

I need my fix too!!! It's gonna be a loooooong weekend!
tirsales
Yes. But has Fizzygoo ever seen a junkie on detox? Then he would know why we are whining wink.gif
Honestly: FanPro should treat his fans and supporters with more respect.
mintcar
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 03:06 PM)
I didn't see anywhere he said it would get up on Battlecorps on Friday?

Just jabing back at you a bit.

At me? Well you missed badly then. But if you are going to play like that *throws mintcar's Gi Joe out the window* WHAT EVER HE SAYS I DIDN"T DO IT!

Gah. You´re being so damn sarcasticly removed all the time. I just wanted to dance, and I missed a beat. Well well, easy enough to do with this awkward medium. smile.gif

(That means I was imagining you smiling when you wrote "are we there yet" and I thought I could build on that as a joke, all in good fun. I´m far to self-ironic to throw GI-Joes, that was not what I was trying to do. I was just building on your description of our behaviour, self-ironicly. I thought. Then again I´m not a native english speaker, so that might have been lost.)

@Fizzygoo: Smokin´poetry Fizzy
blakkie
QUOTE (tirsales)
Honestly: FanPro should treat his fans and supporters with more respect.

You are being treated with respect. If only i was working at Fanpro i could show you what a display of lack of respect would look like .....

*the present dissolves in a Rub-a-dubbers dream swirl to find blakkie in a dingy low-rent apartment, eating Kraft Dinner*

I said "if only" and here i am!

Now Triggerz how about you STFU? Yes, i understand that you are so hooked on SR that we could roll a cartful of fresh turds out the front door, hang a sign over them saying "Not Quite Finished Cavier", and you'd chow down on them and complain there weren't more. But the next day when your gut is acking, you have a temperature of 108ºF, and you have released you'd eaten shit, you'd just come back to us whining about how we don't care enough to finish the product before selling it.
Wintermancer
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
AMEN!

Far as I'm concerned Adam should be taking the weekend off, enjoying himself, and getting back onto this on Monday, with a clear head, good nights sleep, and doing the best he can to ready the PDF the way he believes it should be.

Agreed. And while we're at it, trust me on this one: the only thing that stresses someone out more than missing a deadline set by their boss is missing a deadline they gave to their customer base. They don't need us giving them grief. They are giving themselves enough, consciously or unconsciously, whether they realize it or not, I assure you.

And remember, Friday wasn't actually a release date. When Adam responded to the place your bets posts, he said he was betting on sometime Friday because of his vacation. He didn't say it was Friday.

He was betting on Friday. I saw his capacity there in that very informal, what I felt comedic post topic, less as a representative of FanPro and more like a fellow Dumpshocker joining in on the fun. smile.gif

Which means Friday was an unofficial estimate. And since that wasn't actually an official announcement from FanPro, whether he says he thinks he can get it done by Friday or not no one else there is going to feel obligated, per se, to do their part to meet that unofficial "deadline". And really, they shouldn't have to. It wasn't their "deadline".

Even when they posted about missing the Wednesday release date on the srrpg.com site, no one said it would be out by this week. They said, the e-book release would "likely" not be until sometime next (this) week. There's a lot of room to maneuver there. When someone says, "likely not be", they're not saying "will be", they're saying, "at the earliest, but I'm optimistic about it". Big, big difference.

And when it comes to Fridays as estimates, well, weekends being weekends and all--If you overshoot your estimate, you're going to lose a couple more days. Fact of life. They are not business days, which adds a whole ton of new complications if you want to hit one as a target.

But it was never a deadline, and this was clarified much more strongly later when Adam said, "It will be done when it's done."

That wasn't a bet.

That was a deadline. wink.gif

Winter
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zematus @ Aug 27 2005, 02:02 PM)
let the people do their job.

On the contrary, we're calling on them to do their job.
Far as I'm concerned Adam should be taking the weekend off, enjoying himself, and getting back onto this on Monday, with a clear head, good nights sleep, and doing the best he can to ready the PDF the way he believes it should be, not some half assed, rushed out the door POS because some whiney twits are getting their panties in a bunch.

I'd love to agree, I really would. Hell, I probably do—but this is a case where FanPro fucked up. They are not doing their jobs, release dates are slipping (here's where some of you whine "it's hard! They've had a lot of other things to do!" That's when you apply a good dose of not setting release dates.), FanPro is not conducting itself in a professional manner. That's all there is to say about it.

Edit: the fact that the Friday "deadline" was missed means nothing. That was a personal unofficial estimate by Adam. It's the official deadline of last Wednesday that should either not have slipped or not have been made in the first place.

~J
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Edit: the fact that the Friday "deadline" was missed means nothing. That was a personal unofficial estimate by Adam. It's the official deadline of last Wednesday that should either not have slipped or not have been made in the first place.

~J

I completely concede that point. As clarification, my post was not in reference to people's reaction to the missing of the Wednesday deadline. I was addressing issues arising on these boards as a result of them "missing" the Friday "deadline".

Winter
Autarkis
Well based on the the "mythical" Friday deadline.

Posted in General by AdamJury

August 18th, 2005
Shadowrun Fourth Edition eBook
A piece of regretful news — despite a sleepless night hunched over on a futon, working feverishly until the 07:00 munchies hit and I was forced to wander down the street for bad eggs and worse service, I was not able to finish the Shadowrun Fourth Edition eBook before leaving for GenCon.

This means the eBook release will likely not be until sometime next week. We apologize for this delay, but look forward to the regular and Limited Edition release at GenCon, and our release party on Friday night. Please stop on by if you’re at the con!

Posted in General, SR4 by AdamJury

People's definition of "sometime next week" may vary, but I have to agree that missing deadlines is something that happens. Project management is not that difficult and the past mistakes and snafus by Fanpro shows that this is an area that they are lacking.

I work in an environment where I need to meet stringent deadlines, where items are out of my control. This could range from ensuring communications to our clients are developed, printed, and mailed in a timely manner to having to put procedures in place to meet federal regulatory guidelines. If I or any member of my team fails to meet a deadline, I ensure that we set a realistic deadline and keep communication open to the stakeholders.

In the case of Fanpro, updating their website. I don't expect them to come into a forum and outline what is happening but I do expect them to at least outline what they are doing to fix it. And it does not take that much time to write up a quick blurb and post it on their website (specifically Fanpro's website.)
Triggerz
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 27 2005, 04:10 PM)
Now Triggerz how about you STFU? Yes, i understand that you are so hooked on SR that we could roll a cartful of fresh turds out the front door, hang a sign over them saying "Not Quite Finished Cavier", and you'd chow down on them and complain there weren't more. But the next day when your gut is acking, you have a temperature of 108ºF, and you have released you'd eaten shit, you'd just come back to us whining about how we don't care enough to finish the product before selling it.

Well, i am aware there are typos. There is an errata here. If I was planning on getting a printed version, then yes, I'd be patient and wait for them to print it when they've had time to proofread it and all. I'm waiting for a PDF though, which we were told would be available by GenCon. You're telling me I would bitch because of the typos. I'm telling you that I can live with a few typos and would be happy if I could get an errata from the SR website a week from now, and maybe a new PDF fixing all the typos at some point in the future... like before Christmas.

I happen to have some time now and wish I could have started working on a SR4 campaign to play in September - getting characters ready and such. It's not the end of the world, but I do make plans based on other people's schedules sometimes, like anyone else not living in the woods by himself. FanPro announced I could get their stuff at GenCon. And now it's taking longer. You can ask me to quit whining if you find it annoying, but you're assuming I'd bitch if I got my way without actually knowing why I'd rather have the half-baked product now than the pretty thing later on.

The choice is not between a perfect product now or a perfect product tomorrow. The product is not perfect yet. I understand that, but I'd still rather have it now. You don't need to agree with me, you can tell me to quit whining if it bugs you, but you can't tell me that I'd whine anyways if I got my way. That's just disrespectful.

[EDIT: Fixed a typo.]
blakkie
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Oh man, is this going to be hI-larry-OS when the PDF does come out.
Eddie Furious
I'm gonna side with Adam on this one. I commend the man for wanting to do it right, not twice. An admirable trait, one I learned from my Granddad and confirmed in the Infantry.

Never mind these guys Adam, you do what you gotta do.
tirsales
It is not about doing something twice. It is about doing it right.
Noone will find each and every error in a document that large. It is just not possible. So why not get us to help him? Publish the pdf, let us find those errors, correct the pdf (which he never the less would need to do - so why twice?) and afterwards release the correct hardcopy and a new pdf (again - there will be errata no matter how long he works on it before he publishes it. So he needs to publish the erratad version again...)
Babel
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here goes. Why exactly should we lay off Adam? I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, works hard, etc but at work when I screw up or don't get something done on time I get heat about it from our customers, from my supervisor, from my boss. Adam is the guy doing the work, and the work isn't getting done. So what's the solution? Do we need to get Adam some help? Is the project too big for one guy to handle? What? Realisticly the PDF should have been at least started, if not mostly finished, by the time FAQ 6 was posted. It was posted on the 12th, the PDF was supposed to be available the 17th. That's five days. And then the guy responsible to do it aparently didn't even know the release date was the 17th, believeing instead it was the 18th.

Clearly FanPro is having serious problems. Books are always late, usually amazingly so. Heck, they are so late that at least one of them, in the case of Shadows of Latin America, won't even be printed. Essentially that is money being thrown away. Money spent on the freelancers writing the material, staff time sheperding it through the creation process, etc. When they are finally finished they get caught in this black hole of a printer that can't seem to ever get things out on time. This is not a good situation. We, as die hard fans of shadowrun, deserve better.
Oracle
You shouldn't forget, that Fanpro is no megacorporation. They don't have several hundred people working on a project. Do you like Shadowrun? Then just be patient and wait a few more days...
Grinder
Yeah. We're are used to wait some more days, aren't we? wink.gif

Btw, welcome do DS, Oracle. Nice to see a fellow nothern germany gamer here. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 28 2005, 01:42 AM)
You shouldn't forget, that Fanpro is no megacorporation. They don't have several hundred people working on a project.

This is not relevant to their ability to make a schedule or lack thereof.

I lay off Adam because I like him personally and am inclined to not find fault with him for emotional reasons. I do not ask others to do the same.

~J
Rotbart van Dainig
It would be nice though, if the PDF becomes available for sale before the discount-code runs out... but then again, this might be a reason for the delay, too.
mintcar
Highly advanced paranoid thinking, there. Very good, you will live long and prosper. wink.gif
Elve
QUOTE (Grinder)
Nice to see a fellow nothern germany gamer here. smile.gif

OT: It seems most of the germans over here are northern germans...
hahnsoo
I lay off on Adam because I'm assuming that he's completed most of the stuff that needs to be completed, and now the schedule is not up to him; it's up to the bigwigs at FanPro to confirm his changes and fixes. At least, that's what his last post sounded like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012