IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recruitment: SR4-First Run, Food Fight!
Slacker
post Aug 31 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,776

Ok. Now that the SR4 pdf is out I think its about time we start having some SR4 games around here.

First up, I'd like to do something quick and simple to test/familiarize people with the combat of SR4. For that purpose I have converted the Food Fight! scenario from the First Run adventure book. For those of you who aren't familiar with Food Fight!, it is basically like a random encounter. After a night of doing whatever, the group of shadowrunners stop at a Stuffer Shack to get some munchies. Unfortunately, a group of gangers have decided to rob the place at the same time. As the guns start blazing, food goes flying as various packages are shredded in the hail of bullets.

I want to make sure this runs quickly since it is just for familiarization purposes, so please only speak up if you are serious about playing and posting a minimum of once per day.

To get started I just need character concepts from people. Just a few sentences will be enough, though I will accept more lengthy ones if you like. Once I have selected from those concepts, there will be time allotted for chargen using the standard 400 build points, with assistance via post or pm as needed.

Also, while we run through the Food Fight! scenario, I will be looking at the characters' backgrounds and designing more of a true adventure around one or more details within them to follow this up with.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 31 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,931

I'm interested but I don't have the SR4 book yet, is it necessary?

+Quote Post
gobogen
post Aug 31 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 5,686

Same here. I've played Food fight before but I don't remember anyways. How did you get sr4 ???

+Quote Post
Whizbang
post Aug 31 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,645

Hmm...depending on what I see of SR4 when I go to Dragon*Con this weekend, I might be interested.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 31 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Runner

If you were wanting to do anything complicated with chargen it would take a little bit more work without an SR4 book, but if you're willing to try it, I am willing to help. Alternatively, you can use one of the sample characters from the book and foregoe chargen. Just give me a simple concept and i'll provide you the sample character's stats.

As far as the actual gameplay goes, especially early on, its going to be more about learning the rules. So not having a book yourself won't be a problem.

Food Fight is a simple scenario and if you've played it before it's fine. It is just something quick and easy to throw at you to jump right into the combat mechanics of SR4.

How did you get sr4 ???

I have friends with the free time and money to go to GenCon. I even have an LE copy of it. And I just bought the .pdf today to have easy access to it at work.

+Quote Post
gobogen
post Aug 31 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 5,686

This sounds good.

There has to be some kind of street shaman I could try. Alternatively I would also like to try some kind of physical adept specialized in close combat. I don't really mind since it's a short testing game.

Edit: How much is it and where did you get the pdf?

+Quote Post
Shalimar
post Aug 31 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,322

its $25 for the PDF, you can pick it up at the battlecorps website.

I am interested in doing Food Fight too, I think a Gun Bunny ex-ganger girl would be simple enough to get my feet wet in the new edition, if that would be ok.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 31 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (gobogen @ Aug 31 2005, 03:36 PM)
This sounds good.

There has to be some kind of street shaman I could try. Alternatively I would also like to try some kind of physical adept specialized in close combat. I don't really mind since it's a short testing game.

If you are wanting to use one of the samples in the book, there is a Troll Street Shaman of the Rat. The only sample adept is a gunslinger adept. But as I said, I am perfectly willing to help people who don't have the book create characters.

QUOTE (gobogen)
Edit: How much is it and where did you get the pdf?

As Shalimar said the SR4 pdf costs $25 and available at Battlecorps

I think a Gun Bunny ex-ganger girl would be simple enough to get my feet wet in the new edition, if that would be ok.
Sounds good.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Aug 31 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

*sigh* Well...I'm a doomsayer when it comes to SR4, but I want to see what it's like, so this does sound interesting.

Problem is, I don't have the book, nor do I have the money to buy the book and create a character/look up the rules. I could go with a sample guy from the book, but what about knowing the rules?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 31 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

A lot of what you'd need to know has already been revealed in the SR4 forum. The info there should be enough to give you a good grasp of the mechanics involved.

That being said, I am interested in this myself, although I am not too sure about my availability at the moment. If I can work something out, I'd like to try running an Hermetic mage.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 31 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Problem is, I don't have the book, nor do I have the money to buy the book and create a character/look up the rules. I could go with a sample guy from the book, but what about knowing the rules?

As Fortune has said most of the rules you will need to know have already been reveal in the SR4 Forum and anything that hasn't been explained I can give you the details of.
For the most part you can still do the same things you could do in SR3. So you can describe what you want to do and I'll tell you what you need to roll and why. I am trying to have this game be a trainer for SR4 both for the players and myself and that will already necessitate a lot of discussion of the rules.

QUOTE (Fortune)
That being said, I am interested in this myself, although I am not too sure about my availability at the moment.

Fortune, I would prefer this game to stay active and as fast paced as an introduction to a new game can be. So I am primarily looking for people that can post often and regularly.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Aug 31 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Looks like I'm on board then, I'll be available most every day usually good for several posts a day.

Character concept:

Human magician adept, ex-Lone Star patrol officer turned bounty hunter. He got booted out of Lone Star for sleeping with his Captain's wife and then in the fight that ensued when caught by said Captain he killed the man in self defense. He was actually charged with a crime but the matter was dismissed. He got booted from Lone Star and has at least one Enemy in Lone Star who'd like nothing better than to get even. He is a bright kid, somewhat impulsive and cocky but generally a decent person.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Aug 31 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Runner

Sounds good Cedric.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 31 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Slacker)
Fortune, I would prefer this game to stay active and as fast paced as an introduction to a new game can be. So I am primarily looking for people that can post often and regularly.

I understand that, which is why I mentioned my unknown availability status right off the bat.

Normally I am always available (ask anyone ... outside of Dumpshock I have no life!), but in the last couple of months I have been experiencing access problems. I am hoping that I have things worked out as of now, but won't know for sure for another week or so.

In any case, even if I am not actively involved, I will still definitely be monitoring the game. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Sep 1 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Runner

In that case Fortune, feel free to submit a brief concept for that hermetic mage. The first week or two will be slow anyways with chargen and just starting out.

+Quote Post
Whizbang
post Sep 1 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #16

Running Target

I'd like to try a hacker, as that seems to be one of the biggest changes. *hopes to be able to find a SR4 book at the Con* Also as I'm off to the Con, means I won't be around to work on a char until Monday evening/Tuesday afternoon.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Sep 1 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,840

QUOTE (Fortune)
A lot of what you'd need to know has already been revealed in the SR4 forum. The info there should be enough to give you a good grasp of the mechanics involved.

That being said, I am interested in this myself, although I am not too sure about my availability at the moment. If I can work something out, I'd like to try running an Hermetic mage.

Oh god...I don't know if I have time to read through all of that. Doesn't that stuff take up like five topics?

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Sep 1 2005, 02:49 AM
Post #18

Runner

Talia Invierno did a pretty good summary.

There are of course other threads for Magic, Combat & Gear, and Hacking and Rigging (just to name a few big ones).

+Quote Post
netlich
post Sep 1 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,328

Hey count me in...If there is still places left. I haven't got the book or the slightest idea on the rules - I will be doing some reading to check out the twists and turns of the new ruleset tho...If you don't mind doing some handholding while I make the character and throughout the game...I can post once per day no probs there...I also haven't ran the scenario so I go t no clue on what happens there (besides what you revealed in your first post).

Characterwise I will go for something along the lines of the Troll Ganger style. A troll ex-ganger turned vindicator. Not much chrome on him besides the stuff he needs to stay alive on the street. He found out that he had more of an ethics code than what your average street ganger group required and dished them to adopt a more of a friendly-neighborhood street sammie(without the chiba stuff)/vindicator type. He's got a street doc buddy who's managed to get him the average chrome he wears with pride and he probably got some ex-ganger contacts who mostly think him a coward, a traitor, a mark for punishment or d.All of the above...

How's that?

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Sep 1 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #20

Runner

Sounds good netlich.

As far as the book thing goes, it looks like that most people won't have the book so its not a problem. There be a bit more "handholding" than I was first expecting, but what the hell, why not? This is more a learning exercise than anything else.

Since there are going to be several people needing help with chargen, I think we'll do it all (or at least most) within the forum, so I don't have to say the same thing over and over again to different people.

+Quote Post
Whizbang
post Sep 1 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Hmm...thinking perhaps of a char that was an accomplished decker, who was out with severe dumpshock around the time of the Crash. She woke up, only to find the world as she had known it had changed beyond recognition. Now, instead of almost being ready to retire, she's had to spend her savings simply to play catch up with the rest of the field.

+Quote Post
netlich
post Sep 1 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,328

"Humour me if you don' t mind kind Slacker"...that really sounds wierd.... :-)

anyway; you keep referring to "chargen". Are you guys talking about character generation as a process or a specific utility like the ones out there for SR character generation (and if so which one) ?

Thanks,
Stef

+Quote Post
Whizbang
post Sep 1 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #23

Running Target

just the general process of making characters. Don't think McMackie has gotten around to making a generator for SR4 yet. *hopes he gets around to it eventually*

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Sep 1 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #24

Runner

I am just talking about it as a process. Its just easier to abbreiviate it as chargen and spell out Character Generation. If you couldn't tell by my name, I tend to take the easy route in most things.

And Whizbang, that sounds like a good character concept.

+Quote Post
Cedric Rolfsson
post Sep 1 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Okay all of you people who actually have the time and money to hunt down one of the SR4 books, a question.

Does the Edge/Quality for Innate Magical Talent still exist? The one I'm looking for is Astral perceptions. If it does how much does it cost.

I've ready to put together a character sheet and so I'm chasing through the various posts on SR4 rules but I didn't see that answer anywhere.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:45 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.