Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help making a feasible Troll Hacker
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,569

So, I like the idea of a Troll Hacker. But, I need some help from people that have grokked the rules better than I. Since he isn't even a coherent character yet, if you just throw out suggestions, that would help.

For instance, things I have so far:

Cracking and Electronics groups at 4? Or buy them individually, making it cost more but allowing me to get a couple of them to 5?

What weapon to use? I considered a retractable spur, but there really is no advantage to that over, say, a katana.

I like the idea of skillwires for the active skills that make a good runner but I can't afford to get (stealth, pistols, piloting, etc). What do you need for skillwires, just an internal commlink?

Codeslinger (exploit), Codeblock (track), Mild Addiction (hotsim)

Minimum body/strength for a troll, or put a couple points into each?

Wired Reflexes? 1 or 2?

So many questions...

Thanks,
Calypso
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 16 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

I made one that used Wired Reflexes 2 so I could use AR as fast as VR albeit without the +2 Die bonus.

For weapon, use drones. You're already a hacker. For a defensive all-around skill Gymnastics is good, as is a Parrying specialization in a weapon skill if you are being defensive in HTH.

Skill wires are good, but the skills cost an exhorbiant amount to be capped as low as they are. I consider skillwires a great expansion for *existing* shadowrunners and rarely include it in my starting buildouts.

Codeslinger (Exploit) is good, as is Codeslinger (Stealth). [the program, not the skillgroup!]
Also good is buying your skills that are in the Cracking group individually with Hacking spiked at 6 or 7 if you can stomach the extra BP for Aptitude and the double-cost 7th point.
Specializing in Login action is my favorite. That way you brute your way into a system much less chance of getting discovered.

Get a Fixer thats in the Matrix at a trustworthy level. You'll need somewhere to sell the paydata, chummer and if you're good it may be a frequent thing.

Lastly, I usually specialize my Etiquette in Matrix since as a Hacker I'm the only one asking questions in chatrooms, data havens, etc.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 16 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I'm assuming that you intend to play this character for a long time.

As per the standard rules, a Troll is nearly as good a Hacker with a Logic of 1 as he is with a Logic of 4, so don't sweat the Logic. On the other hand, buying up your body later is very expensive, while buying it up at chargen is very cheap. You should have a body of 9 even if you are a hacker. It's only 40 points, and in the long run will save you 90 Karma. Since many things can be purchased later on for Karma = Build Points, you'll want to do that instead. That means that you'll begin play with no Specializations at all, and buy them at about 2 per game session from now on until you have one for every skill you have.

Despite some confusing wording, you actually can buy up your skill groups while individual skills in them have specializations (what you can't do is buy a specialization that applies to an entire skill group, something which the main book reminds you of like 12 times). A skill group is defined as having all the skills in the group at the same level, period, specializations or natural aptitudes on individual skills are fine. This means that you never ever want to break up any skill group. Ever.

So you'll start with Electronics and Cracking of 4. You'll take Perception or Gunnery of 6. Fight primarily with Drones, as Wasabi noted. This can get really ugly if you have a good Gunnery Skill.

None of your starting attributes need to be that good, except Body of course. But your Programs do. You can't have a Commlink with more than Response 5 at character start, which means that none of your initial programs can be better than 5. So your programs will be five. This means that on chargen you'll be rolling 11 dice on matrix actions (5 program 4 Hacking, 2 Hot Stim). That's decent enough, and after just one adventure you'll have +2 dice on your favorite Hacking and Electronic Warfare tests.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 16 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

With a successful use of a Reality Filter the Response goes up by 1 so a starting character can indeed have effective programs at 6. Once the response goes up the full 6 system rating can also be used which means the reality filter is essentially loaded for free minus the chance an Analyze utility running on the Node discovers you while you tarry in loading the darn thing.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 16 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 16 2005, 11:02 AM)
Despite some confusing wording, you actually can buy up your skill groups while individual skills in them have specializations (what you can't do is buy a specialization that applies to an entire skill group, something which the main book reminds you of like 12 times). A skill group is defined as having all the skills in the group at the same level, period, specializations or natural aptitudes on individual skills are fine. This means that you never ever want to break up any skill group. Ever.

As a public service announcement, to thwart Frank's attempts at bullshit confusion, again, this isn't actually the case at all. :|

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I didn't even think about using drones... let's see... that requires a Control Rig... and... what else? Do I need to buy better software for the drones? How many drones would be good?

Calypso

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 16 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #7

Dragon

QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 16 2005, 11:51 AM)
I didn't even think about using drones... let's see... that requires a Control Rig... and... what else?  Do I need to buy better software for the drones?  How many drones would be good?

Calypso

A Control Rig is not required, though there is a benefit to having one. There is only one level of Control Rig, they are fairly cheap, and essense friendly.

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Also, just because you can't buy a Response 6 commlink, does that mean you can't build your own Response chip at rating 6?

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Sep 16 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

yeah, thats something i've been looking at.

the Orc hacker archtype has fives straight accross the board on his comlink stats, how did this happen, especially since the commlink he has is a puny little resonse one or two

i would really like to know cause i'm building a hacker as well

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 16 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,567

QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
yeah, thats something i've been looking at.

the Orc hacker archtype has fives straight accross the board on his comlink stats, how did this happen, especially since the commlink he has is a puny little resonse one or two

i would really like to know cause i'm building a hacker as well

PG 240. Theres a table in the lower right hand corner detailing the time it takes to build such things and the cost and avalability of purchasing them

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Sep 16 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

thank you very much i knew there had to be something that gave that ability.....to bad your limited to a 12 availability

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 16 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
thank you very much i knew there had to be something that gave that ability.....to bad your limited to a 12 availability

heh well i'm fine with the availability as is. Just as long as they don't put a flamethrower in with a higher avail than a anti tank guided missile...god I still haven't heard the end of that from my best friend about sr3.

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

What about my question about building a commlink Response Chip at rating 6, during character creation? Is that allowed, or is it also limited by availability, despite making it yourself?

+Quote Post
hyb
post Sep 16 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 7,591

It is still limited by Avail.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 16 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

It's limited by availability.
Remember, Firewall isn't limited by system or response, so get it at 6 and for your drones as well (though at 3k a pop, it ain't cheap)

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Cool, thanks.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 16 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #17

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Nikoli)
(though at 3k a pop, it ain't cheap)

..your Hacker pays for the software he's using? ;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 16 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Also, get an agent or 2 at rating 4 (max avail)
Once in game, crack and copy your software (the needed stuff) into them and have them just chill until you need them. They make great assests in the matrix, as reflected by the hefty price tag.
One can handle the party comm spoofing, the other can handle fighting Blackhammer loaded IC (Blackhammer is useless against Agents, especially Smith).
They are highly intelligent at that rating and as good as many hackers are likely to be. Their one failing is that I don't think you can use edge to boost them (similair to Skill wires).

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Sep 16 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

So, Blakkie, are you the Anti-Frank?

+Quote Post
calypso
post Sep 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Also, get an agent or 2 at rating 4 (max avail)
Once in game, crack and copy your software (the needed stuff) into them and have them just chill until you need them. They make great assests in the matrix, as reflected by the hefty price tag.
One can handle the party comm spoofing, the other can handle fighting Blackhammer loaded IC (Blackhammer is useless against Agents, especially Smith).
They are highly intelligent at that rating and as good as many hackers are likely to be. Their one failing is that I don't think you can use edge to boost them (similair to Skill wires).

Along that same line, I was thinking about buying/coding a Blackhammer IC for my commlink. To smack and track people trying to hack me. And since they can share your software by default (no pirating needed), load it up with copies of my level 5 programs.

Calypso

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 16 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #21

Chicago Survivor

Also good.
But give it Attack and Armor as well.
If it get's fooled into going after an Agent, Blackhammer is a useful as a cotton ball.

+Quote Post
Shadow_Prophet
post Sep 16 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Supercilious)

He's posting blatently false information about specializations and skill groups. Specificaly states in the rules that specializations can not be used with skill groups. Nor can skill groups have specializations themselves.

i don't blame blakie for pointing out that frank's completely misinformed there...

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Sep 16 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Specificaly states in the rules that specializations can not be used with skill groups.

And that means precisely dick when we are talking about taking specializations of skills that are in skill groups.

You have a skill group any time all of your skills in the skill group have the same rating. Any time. Even if they weren't in a skill group previously. Modifiers that are not from ratings do not keep your skill group from coalescing. You are no more prevented from raising the skill group by having a specialization on your infiltration than having Enhanced Articulation does. Contingent bonuses to skills do not change the base rating, and therefore do not break up the skill group.

Similarly, having Aptitude in Infiltration does not keep you from raising your Steal group up to six and then raising your Infiltration to 7.

-Frank

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 16 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (Supercilious)

I would hope that there are many anti-Franks out there, fighting the stupid. :) I happen to be one of the more consistantly vocal, but you'll notice that the 3 links i gave are refutes posted by others.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 16 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #25

Dragon

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Specificaly states in the rules that specializations can not be used with skill groups.

And that means precisely dick when we are talking about taking specializations of skills that are in skill groups.

It does when it is in the context of raising Skill Groups, now shoo you.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.