Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build/Post your Hacker
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
calypso
So, anyone want to take a crack at building a decent hacker? I've tried, and I failed. I've grown dependent on Character Generators frown.gif

Calypso
calypso
Okay, I'll post my partially completed Hacker:

Race: Troll (40 BP)

Attributes (200 BP)
B A R S C I L W E
9 3 3 5 3 3 4 3 4

Essence: ?
Initiative (Matrix): ? (?)
Initiative Passes (Matrix): ? (?)
Physical Damage Track: 13
Stun Damage Track: 10

Active Skills (140 BP)
Hacking (Exploit): 6 (+2)
Cybercombat: 4
Electronics Warfare: 4
Electronics Group: 4
Etiquette (Matrix): 2 (+2)
Pistols (Semi-Automatic): 2 (+2)
Dodge: 2
Perception (Visual): 3 (+2)

Knowledge Skills (21 Free BP)
Dunno (Whatever): 21 (+2)

Qualities (+5 BP)
Codeslinger (Exploit)
Codeblock (Track)
Moderate Addiction (Hotsim)

That's all I've managed to come up with so far. Still need to buy programs, drones, gear, cyberware, etc. Oy.

Calypso
Fortune
Purchase a copy of every program at 6. It should cost you about 120,000. Then buy a cheap Commlink and modify it as high as Availability allows, This costs Sweet F.A. (meaning I dunno how much, but it isn't expensive biggrin.gif). Other equipment is pretty easy.

I'm not sure about the Codeblock: Track. Seems to me to be a useful ability.
warrior_allanon
heres mine, hopefully i will have all my characters with their character sheets on the NPC wiki soon along with my contacts both SR3 and SR4

Street Name:Largo
Vitals
Archetype: hacker
Race: human
Height: unknown
Weight: unknown
Hair: Brown
Eyes: unknown
Birthdate: unknown
Birthplace: unknown
Lifestyle
Certified Credstick:
Lifestyle: 1 month middle
Total:
Edge 4
Physical Damage 10 boxes -4D modifier
Stun Damage 10 boxes -4D modifier
Attributes
Body 3(4)
Agility 4
Reaction 4
Strength 3
Charisma 3
Intuition 4
Logic 4
Willpower 3
Initiative 8D6
Magic 0
Essence 5.9

Active Skills (ATT) lvl
Firearms SG (AGILITY) 4
Close Combat SG (AGILITY) 2
Stealth SG (INTUITION) 2
Dodge (REACTION) 3
Perception (INTUITION) 3
Pilot Ground Craft (REACTION) 1
Electronics SG (LOGIC) 3
Cracking SG (REACTION) 2
Ettiquette (LOGIC) 1

Qualities:
Positive:
Codeslinger

Negetive:
Uncouth
SINner (real SIN)
Orc Poser

Armor Rating B/I
Armored clothing 4/0
Armored Jacket 8/6

Knowledge Skills
Gang ID (INT) 4
Open LAN areas (LOG) 5
Infamous hackers (INT) 3
Flatvid movies (INT) 3
History (LOG) 3
Component scrounging (LOG) 5

Language Skills (INTUITION)
English (N)
(l33t) 1

Contacts: LOY/CONN
Lucky 1/1

Gear list:
AR Smart Shades with Thermographics, Low Light, and image link*
gun arm slide (right arm)*
Suzuki Mirrage racing bike
electronics kit
rating 5 medkit
AR Gloves*
Sub-Vocal Microphone *
commlink* **
*Skinlinked

**Commlink:
Fairlight Caliban with Novatech Navi OS upgraded to:
Response: 5 Firewall: 6
System: 6 Signal: 5

Programs:
Name: Rating:
Analyze 6
Browse 6
Command 6
Edit 6
Encrypt 6
Reality Filter 6
Armor 6
Attack 6
Bio feedback filters 6
Black Hammer 6
Black out 6
Data Bomb 6
Decrypt 6
Defuse 6
ECCM 6
Exploit 6
Medic 6
Sniffer 6
Spoof 6
Stealth 6
Track 6

Weapons:
Ares Predator 4 *

Ammo:
30 rounds EX Explosive ammo (2 clips)
blakkie
Not really a 'hacker'. This is a conjurer/wheelman that is nearing completion. (Currently built with 420BP on the assumption that his 1+ page background will give him that.)

[ Spoiler ]
mintcar
That character is an abomination blakkie smile.gif Still, I believe I would allow it despite the glaring min-maxing. Seems fun and different. Human looking human though?

Yesman: Great character. Really knows how to squat with style smile.gif. Did you do the portrait?

Some lucky guys.
Shadow_Prophet
Blakkie...if you ever gave me that sheet on paper in person I'd do just what my one friend would do, eat it and tell you to go back to the character generation tables.

Could you have attempted to be any more abuseful? You have virtualy a cripple there!
warrior_allanon
hey shadow, would you give me an honest critique, you wont hurt my feelings i promise

Fortune
QUOTE (blakkie)
Human, all natural Attributes

Human-Looking - taken due to party considerations

???
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ Sep 20 2005, 01:46 PM)
That character is an abomination blakkie  smile.gif Still, I believe I would allow it despite the glaring min-maxing. Seems fun and different. Human looking human though?

Oh that. Ya, i originally had him as an Ork. Forgot to take that out. Will edit appropriately....

P.S. Thanks for the reminder, that'll free up another 5 BP. Maybe an extra point in Etiquette and a Spell?
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 20 2005, 01:53 PM)
Blakkie...if you ever gave me that sheet on paper in person I'd do just what my one friend would do, eat it and tell you to go back to the character generation tables.

Could you have attempted to be any more abuseful?  You have virtualy a cripple there!

As long as it was YOU eating it, that be pretty damn funny. rotfl.gif

P.S. He was originally an Ork, so Bod 8 and Str 3, but yes he's a gimp. For that i even had a background that fit pretty well (background proceeded a lot of the character). I'm still not 100% certain i'm going the human route. If i do i'm going to have to rethink the background, and would have to reverse engineer it. frown.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
hey shadow, would you give me an honest critique, you wont hurt my feelings i promise

Like the character. Couple of suggestions if you don't mind.

First, the gunslide heavy pistol thing....doesn't realy work out to well in all honesty I don't think considering concealability ratings and such. I would go with either a light or a holdout (especialy since holdouts are really deadly now biggrin.gif) And have the heavy pistol in a conceal quickdraw holster maybe? Just a thought there really.

Second the armor...armor doesn't layer well at all in 4th ed. So you might not want to wear all that at the same time.

Third no real reason (unless moneterily you couldn't afford it) not to have a smartlink.

Oh and a couple of questions.

Where'd you loose that .1 essence? Prehapse i'm just missing something (didn't really overanylize or crunch the numbers so forgive me if i'm missing something obvious)

And second Why did you choose to go the skinlink route instead of say the route of datajack with cybereyes and such? Out of curiosity that is.
mintcar
Every time a player shoots someone dead with a light pistol in SR4, I can swear you can hear angels sing. smile.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mintcar)
Every time a player shoots someone dead with a light pistol in SR4, I can swear you can hear angels sing. smile.gif

Well two of my players heard the angels sing when they got shot point blank almost with the CMDT combat shotgun biggrin.gif

But holdouts have always been my theme favorites, folowed by the good old trusty colt l36 biggrin.gif. though i miss my walther palm pistol of justice!
apple
Something more conventionall (und still prototype-status):

Lupin XIII (a Gentleman SOTA thief/hacker (I am not quite sure how to combine good hacking with a certain charismatic appereance))

Human, Edge 4, 250 000¥, Codeslinger (Exploit/Hacking)

Body 4
Agility3 (+2)
Reaction 4 (+2)
Strength 3
Logic 5 (+2)
Intuition 3
Charisma 3
Willpower 3

Cracking SG 4
Electronics SG 4

Automatics 2
Climbing 1
Dodge 2
Etiquette 1
Infiltration (Urban) 2 (+2)
Negotiation 1
Perception 1
Pistols 3
Pilot Ground Craft 1
Unarmed Combat 1

35 negative Quality Points (Addiction Alcohol and Addiction SimSense are considered)

Equipment: some nice pistols like the Fubuki and a taser, a good MPi, the usual 5/5/6/6-Commlink with the usual hacking programms on 6, lenses/googles of doom (tricked out with all enhancements), earplug with tricked out audio enhancements, usual thief equipment (electronics kit, lockpicker etc), a motorcycle or a van. Perhaps some drones (still working on the equipment)

Implants: Cybereyes 1, Cyberears 1 (Damper), Skillwire 4, Reaction Enhancers 2, Muscle Toner 2, Zerebralbooster 2
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar)

I assumed that Shadow_Prophet was asking a rhetoric question about whether i could be more abusive, otherwise i'd post Calos. He's the character i just put together for a fellow player. He's more into playing with guns. I just tossed out the Heavy Pistols entirely for him and went with a Hammerli 620S loaded with Stick 'n' Shock in a concealable holster. Down right nasty. I've come to the conclusion that Stick-n-Shock makes Baby Jesus cry. wink.gif

I also gave him a Raecor, but sadly they are limited to flechette ammo only. I considered the Streetline Special with Stick-n-Shock but decided that since the real point of the hold-out was defeating detection the extra MAD evasion was worth the power trade-off.

I'm estimating that the Hammerli will provide the firepower needed till he gets into situations where he can bring the Ares Alpha with 'nade launcher and/or White Knight.
Whizbang
Guess I can add mine...

[ Spoiler ]
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Where'd you loose that .1 essence? Prehapse i'm just missing something (didn't really overanylize or crunch the numbers so forgive me if i'm missing something obvious)

And second Why did you choose to go the skinlink route instead of say the route of datajack with cybereyes and such? Out of curiosity that is.

the .1 essence is a datajack that i guess only made it onto the actual character sheet and honestly i went the skinlink route (and why i didnt get the actual smartlink), because i usually make magical based characters, and you remember how bad essense loss is with magic....old habits omae.....as for gunslide, and conscealability, i havent seen a lick on concealability in SR4, unless i missed something in my rulebook

hyb
You are. It is definitely in there. Page 300 through 302.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 20 2005, 03:05 PM)

And second Why did you choose to go the skinlink route instead of say the route of datajack with cybereyes and such?  Out of curiosity that is.

the .1 essence is a datajack that i guess only made it onto the actual character sheet and honestly i went the skinlink route (and why i didnt get the actual smartlink), because i usually make magical based characters, and you remember how bad essense loss is with magic....old habits omae.....as for gunslide, and conscealability, i havent seen a lick on concealability in SR4, unless i missed something in my rulebook

Smaller section. Concealability isn't listed by item its gone more of the route of type of item. Heavy pistols fall in one catagory, lights in another ect ect ect.

Bottom of page 302 is the little chart.
BlackHat
Yes, but does the gun slide say anythgin about what concealability/pistol type can be used with it?

I think it jsut says that a "pistol" can be used, which, to me, implies any pistol.
On a side-note, when looking at my copy, "Concealibile holster" doesn't seem to say "pistol only" anymore. Does that mean one could get a concealable shotgun holster? or maybe something more reasonable, like knives or swords?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Yes, but does the gun slide say anythgin about what concealability/pistol type can be used with it?

I think it jsut says that a "pistol" can be used, which, to me, implies any pistol.
On a side-note, when looking at my copy, "Concealibile holster" doesn't seem to say "pistol only" anymore. Does that mean one could get a concealable shotgun holster? or maybe something more reasonable, like knives or swords?

If you go by the exact wording and refuse to use abstract thought the conceal holster you can use with any weapon including rocket launchers. same with the arm slide.

Its twinks like you that make me sad.

Common sense here please?

Thats ingnoring the fact I didn't say he couldn't do the heavy pistol thing, I meerly suggested that it might be better to go with a more concealable weapon for that type of thing.
warrior_allanon
i understand what your saying with the gun arm slide, however, (and here is my reasoning for doing this) i have worked with clutch gun rigs and outfitted them with .45 cal. socoms and glocks, and while the largeness of the sleaves needed to hide them is slightly on the rediculous side they are by no means absolutely insane. well not for a duster anyway, and honestly i think i used the jacket which i equate to a bomber style jacket anyway, so with this character i would agree. but my other characters usually use lined coats so they hide quite well

BlackHat
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)

If you go by the exact wording and refuse to use abstract thought the conceal holster you can use with any weapon including rocket launchers. same with the arm slide.

Well, playing a game involves agreeing to obey the rules that are written, not abstracting your own. smile.gif
That aside, who cares if someone gets a concealable holster for their rocket launcher? They get 2 better concealability (or whatever it does, I don't have my book with me), for some item with a retardedly noticable concealability - sure, it looks less like a rocket-launcher than just holding a rocket launcher... still obvious, but not twinky or broken.

IMO, it makes sense that you could store most weapons (not jsut light pistols) in a place that makes them less noticable (like having a knife hidden in your boot, or in some chicks garter - like in the movies!) And, for the same matter, I don't see why you couldn't have a slide that drops a heavy pistol in your hand. Now, a slide that dropsp your rocket launcher in your hand would be over the top, for sure - I just meant that there is nothing in the rules saying he couldn't go with a heavy pistol.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)

Asshat. sarcastic.gif
There's nothing twink-y about saying that the rules support one's ability to have a gun-slide or conealable holster made for a large handgun.
Rotbart van Dainig
Concealability is ruled by the GM and rule of thumb... so wether or not this is possible is depending on situation.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (BlackHat)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)

Well, playing a game involves agreeing to obey the rules that are written, not abstracting your own. smile.gif
That aside, who cares if someone gets a concealable holster for their rocket launcher? They get 2 better concealability (or whatever it does, I don't have my book with me), for some item with a retardedly noticable concealability - sure, it looks less like a rocket-launcher than just holding a rocket launcher... still obvious, but not twinky or broken.

IMO, it makes sense that you could store most weapons (not jsut light pistols) in a place that makes them less noticable (like having a knife hidden in your boot, or in some chicks garter - like in the movies!) And, for the same matter, I don't see why you couldn't have a slide that drops a heavy pistol in your hand. Now, a slide that dropsp your rocket launcher in your hand would be over the top, for sure - I just meant that there is nothing in the rules saying he couldn't go with a heavy pistol.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)

Asshat. sarcastic.gif
There's nothing twink-y about saying that the rules support one's ability to have a gun-slide or conealable holster made for a large handgun.

First off, as stated EARLY in the book, the rules are a guide. Secondly everything must meet GM approval, and no abstracting is a large part of GMing in a system like this.

Secondly I never said you couldn't hide a knife in your garter. Never said you could not use the gun slide with a heavy pistol. I said it might be better to use a light or holdout pistol in this case for concealability concerns. Do I need to repeat that again?

The rocket launcher gunslide idea, since we're not allowed to abstract anything according to you is more than reasonable rules wise.

As for the twinking comment. You remind me of a player of mine, a twink. He does exactly what you did, look for every loophole in a item. Not to mention I was refering to the fact you were implying that anything could have a conceal holster.

And since you missed it now twice I'll repeat what I said above so maybe by the fourth time seeing it you'll understand it.

Secondly I never said you couldn't hide a knife in your garter. Never said you could not use the gun slide with a heavy pistol. I said it might be better to use a light or holdout pistol in this case for concealability concerns.
Lord Ben
Concealed rocket launcher? Has NOBODY seen Desperado? Just buy a custom guitar case.
Nikoli
To be fair, he did die a munchkin death
BlackHat
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
You remind me of a player of mine, a twink.

You remind me of a player of mine, an asshat. sarcastic.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 21 2005, 09:32 AM)
Concealed rocket launcher?  Has NOBODY seen Desperado?  Just buy a custom guitar case.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

I had forgotten about that. (only it would be more like a cello case)
Lord Ben
Well whatever it was when he dropped down to the ground and shoot 5 or 6 missiles out of the case it totally scared the drug lords goons. I want ammo capacity like that in my concealed missile launcher holster.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Well whatever it was when he dropped down to the ground and shoot 5 or 6 missiles out of the case it totally scared the drug lords goons. I want ammo capacity like that in my concealed missile launcher holster.

Panzer cozy much?

Oh and to Black Hat...I'm sorry since I obviously deeply insulted you with my comment. You do remind me of a player i have who is a complete twink, who did exactly what you did. I'm sorry you have such a problem with that. Now if i remind you of one of yuor players who is a asshat because he called you on the fact that he said something 3-4 times and you grossly misrepresented what he said, then so be it.
calypso
Hey. Settle down and take the fighting to a thread that I didn't start biggrin.gif

Also, it explicitly says that gun slides can be used with any pistol. So holdout through heavy.

Calypso
BlackHat
Eh, its cool. wink.gif I've actually never done this, mind you, I just don't see anywhere where it suggests that you can't have a gun-slide for a heavy pistol - and you seem to agree. I was kidding, you're not really an asshat - and since the people here have been asking for your opinions on their character, its in good taste.

We probably just have different opinions on what's twink-y. I think bending the rules or exploiting some weakness in the rules for some purpose, or to gain an advantage is twink-y... but getting a 2-point concealment bonus on something you have no hope to conceal anyways doesn't seem twink-y to me, just representative of SR4 being a more robust system than SR3.

Rather than saying "you can only use this on light pistols", I like that the rules let you use it on other less-concealable items (with DM approval, of course, blah blah blah)... it wouldn't work very well, but since it hardly throws off game-balance, I'm all for it.

The core book doesn't say you can't smark-link adapt a bee-bee-gun, but if I had a player who wanted to, I'd let him. If he wants to flush his cash down the toilet buying accessories for something he'll never get any use out of, by all means, go ahead.
BlackHat
And before anyone says it:
I know that the slide-gun thing and the concealable holster thing are two seperate issues.
I know that Calypso looked it up, and the book specifically states heavy pistol gun slides are AOK
I know that a coealable holster for a rocket-launcher makes very little sense.
and I know that Shadow_Prophet never said the slide-gun thing was a no-go...

I just meant that I like how this system is more flexible than the old one.
mintcar
Although I too always advocate GM ruling over printed rules, I just got to say that you are overeacting something fierce Shadow Prophet.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mintcar)
Although I too always advocate GM ruling over printed rules, I just got to say that you are overeacting something fierce Shadow Prophet.

Prehapse.

Anyways moving back to blackhat...Yeah slightly different deffinitions. It actualy boils down to a bit less. I've got one player in particular that would do exactly what, to me, it looked like you were doing. Sorry for my quite adverse reaction to it. Its kinda a knee jerk reaction at times. I can very easily see my player getting a rocket launcher or sniper rifle, tossing it in a conceal holster, under a longcoat and being a troll to justify people not being able to spot it. Just something I've come to utterly dispise. So once again, sorry if I over reacted and offended you.
calypso
If you guys were going to make a hacker that either got cosmetic modifications to look like an animal, or was possibly a shaman or something, what animal would you go for?

Calypso
Nikoli
A mouse.
Wasabi
A Raven.
mintcar
A worm?
calypso
No, no, I'm sorry. The correct answer was... oh. Wait, nevermind grinbig.gif
mintcar
Seriously though, I would pick Dog. Because of the shaman/decker main character in the old SNES game.
Halabis
and in the secrets of power trilogy...

they realy are quite common you know.
mintcar
Dog shamans, shaman/deckers or Dog shaman/deckers?
Halabis
all three actualy.
Abschalten
I think slides would be fairly useful for other things. It's the size of the item that really is the deciding factor, in my opinion.

As the GM of a current campaign of games, I approved one of my riggers when he asked if he could use the slide to pop out a minidrone if he ever had to, one he kept stashed up his sleeve. I forget the exact rationale, and why he wanted to do it in the first place, but I thought it was a damn good idea.

Also, I'm in favor of putting the Cyberarm Slides into Cyberlegs and so totally getting that tres chic Robocop thing going on. spin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Abschalten)
Also, I'm in favor of putting the Cyberarm Slides into Cyberlegs and so totally getting that tres chic Robocop thing going on. spin.gif

You don't need a Cyberarm Slide for a leg, just a Cyber holster, unless your foot was somehow prehensile.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
an wide assortment of Secure RFID sensors incoporated into clothing (i can see behind me, check for cyberware, radiation, etc.).

Keep in mind though, that RFID Sensors are limited to an effective Range of about... 3m - making the Cameras a bit ineffective.
So better get some of them as Micro Sensors disguised as buttons/labels/the like. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012