Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Explosives, am i reading the rules right?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
blakkie
Basically i can juggle 1kg to 4kg lumps of commercial explosive because if they ever were detonated i'm looking at the equivalent of a punch to the gut from Richard Simmons...only with less "Oldies" music and a lot less sweat. frown.gif

Even a 1kg lump that was applied quite well (say rolled 4 hits) to my abs is going to do less boxes of damage than a one net hit Stick-n-Shock shot? As in 1kg+4 hits = 5, square root of which is 2DV. Even with halving the armour that isn't much. Well maybe Stick-n-Shock isn't the best example since it's got its' own problems. But still i'm likely better off with 2-4lbs. of very well place explosive than a heavy pistol shot?
Narmio
Not at all.

The base damage is rating * sqrt(kilograms). So if we assume rating 3 commercial explosives then that 4kg will have a base damage of 3 * sqrt(4), or 6DV. Four hits is then applied directly to the base damage, like it is for everything else, resulting in a lethal 10DV.

The damage is still rather low, four kilos of even very dodgy homemade explosives should be able to kill without any real skill.

Interestingly, when applied to destroy barriers, explosives do their base DV * 2. If you want explosives to be lethal against people, double the base DV against them, too. 2 * rating * sqrt(kilograms). Makes 6DV for one kilo, 8DV for two, 12DV for four, 18DV for nine. Sounds alright.

However, this causes a problem at the other end of the scale, once out of character generation, players can get explosives up to rating FIFTEEN without any change in the availability. Resulting in 15DV for one kilo, 30DV for four. Which is rightfully powerful. However, double that as above and you wind up with an insane 60DV for four kilos. This is already how much damage it's going to do to a barrier, it's certainly not a good idea to double it for people. In fact, it might be worthwhile lowering the max rating and/or making the availability incremental.

So it's got a few problems, rating 3 is like a sack full of sparklers, while rating 15, which is just as easy to get, is like a nuke-in-a-box. Lower the cap, increase the avail, make commercial explosives variable rating (say 3-6), if you feel it's a problem, fix it.
Oracle
*addingdemolitionsskilltochar*

*laughinginamunchkinnyway*
Siege
Ok, considering what even one kilo of C-4 can do irl, I'd say triple it against soft targets.

But that's just me.

-Siege
Shadow_Prophet
max rating of 6 in chargen
NightmareX
Guess I'll be adding a Demolitions skillsoft to my wish list cyber.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Only if you are a masochist:

Skillsofts can't be boosted with Edge, so if you get a (critical) glitch while planting bombs...
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Skillsofts can't be boosted with Edge, so if you get a (critical) glitch while planting bombs...

Oh the ideas...
NightmareX

Yeah, but the character doesn't know that smokin.gif
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Oracle)

Please apply some logic when using the skill. We had some goobers with the skill that very skillfully mined a pier where they were meeting a johnson they really didn't trust. When they realized they were getting double-crossed, the numbnuts hit the button while standing on the pier.

We called the net result "stupid salsa."
mintcar
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 22 2005, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 22 2005, 08:46 AM)

Yeah, but the character doesn't know that smokin.gif

The character propably knows that skillsofts aren´t much more then glorified manuals with a touch of manual dexterity guidence.
NightmareX
QUOTE (mintcar)

The character propably knows that skillsofts aren´t much more than glorified manuals with a touch of manual dexterity guidence.

Meant about the Edge bit.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (Oracle)

Please apply some logic when using the skill. We had some goobers with the skill that very skillfully mined a pier where they were meeting a johnson they really didn't trust. When they realized they were getting double-crossed, the numbnuts hit the button while standing on the pier.

We called the net result "stupid salsa."

LMAO thats priceless.
mintcar
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (mintcar)

The character propably knows that skillsofts aren´t much more than glorified manuals with a touch of manual dexterity guidence.

Meant about the Edge bit.

Ahh yes. But you could view that as a game mechanical representation of the lack of adaptebility you have when operating a skill with ´softs. Your character might (or might not) know that he won´t handle surprises as well as he would if he knew the skill himself.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Siege)
Ok, considering what even one kilo of C-4 can do irl, I'd say triple it against soft targets.

question, is it the shockwave that does it, or all the flying object that the detonation have a bad habbit of trowing around?

still, i take it that the "strange" effectiveness of grenades over huge quantitys of explosives are back?
NightmareX
QUOTE (mintcar)
Ahh yes. But you could view that as a game mechanical representation of the lack of adaptebility you have when operating a skill with ´softs. Your character might (or might not) know that he won´t handle surprises as well as he would if he knew the skill himself.

True on both counts cyber.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Narmio)
The base damage is rating * sqrt(kilograms). So if we assume rating 3 commercial explosives then that 4kg will have a base damage of 3 * sqrt(4), or 6DV. Four hits is then applied directly to the base damage, like it is for everything else, resulting in a lethal 10DV.

Ah, thanks. Missed that multiplier. At least that makes the 1kg a -bit- better than a RL cherrybomb. wink.gif So it isn't as bad as i thought.

So it's got a few problems, rating 3 is like a sack full of sparklers, while rating 15, which is just as easy to get, is like a nuke-in-a-box. Lower the cap, increase the avail, make commercial explosives variable rating (say 3-6), if you feel it's a problem, fix it.

A variable for commercial makes a bit of sense. The top end of a 15 multipler seems more than a bit much. If they would have stopped it at 10 or 12 that is enough for a small, well placed lunchbox sized lump to breech the weakest of blast barriers.

I am puzzled about foam being easier (as in starting PC easy) to get than plastic, and whatever ever rating you want being just as easy if you have the cash. Well actually i guess once you get to the 10+ multiplier it'll boost the extended test interval for 1kg from 1 day to 2 days, and 10kg of the stuff from 2 days to 1 week. But once you get up to that much you are lookin more at building/block leveling amounts with an effective killing radius from shrapnel measured in blocks.

Nikoli
I'm personally envisioning manequins full of rating 15 foam and ball bearings....
Shadow_Prophet
Lets grab 9 kilo's (cause the math is easier) of the rating 15 stuff and have a realy good demo expert set it giving us say 4 extra hits. So we get a dv of 19 * 3 for a whopping total of 57 DV biggrin.gif now thats what i'm talking about. Just watch out for the mage with the lightningbolt spell when you're carrying it around
Nikoli
LOL, important safety note, always get electrical protection for your demo case.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 22 2005, 08:35 AM)
Lets grab 9 kilo's (cause the math is easier) of the rating 15 stuff and have a realy good demo expert set it giving us say 4 extra hits.  So we get a dv of 19 * 3 for a whopping total of 57 DV biggrin.gif  now thats what i'm talking about.  Just watch out for the mage with the lightningbolt spell when you're carrying it around

Only that is doubled vs. a barrier it is attached to. Over 100DV of block leveling goodness. eek.gif Main steel support beams? Armor 16? Structure Rating 13 is done right now. Even the Armor 24 of a concrete pillar for a modern high-rise post-and-tension is gone, likely all 4 of them in one fell swoop because assuming about 15 meters (50 feet) between the posts the blast is still doing 27DV when it gets to the the others.

EDIT: Forgot it needs to be attached for the doubling effect.

Better yet attach the explosive to the wall and you have an improvised block grenade. 114DV vs. the puny brick wall Armor 12, structural 11. Curtain of death for roughly 50m the other side of the wall.
Rotbart van Dainig
Ouch indeed - especially when using shaped charges.
hobgoblin
hmm, looks like i can remove my original statement. this stuff is lethal nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
Keep in mind that the blast wouldn't get the bonus of beeing attached...

Hehe, ya. I was redoing the calcs after noticing that. It wasn't quite as bad as i first thought. Still for 9kg (like a 20lb sack of sugar) that's pretty damn destructive.
blakkie
Ouch indeed - especially when using shaped charges.

With shaped charges you should be able to control the direction of the damage, like have it radiate mostly sideways to cut the the other posts, not putting much into the floor/ceiling (in that case because once the posts are gone that doesn't matter much, as everthing is going to get sandwiched on all the floors above and below). Some time you might actually want to limit the damage around somewhat.

However there aren't rules for that. As a GM i guess you could say they could use the hits for other things. Instead of increasing the damage, they could deform the blast radius in specific directions. Like with a claymore that fans out in one direction, but has relatively little back blast.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, looks like i can remove my original statement. this stuff is lethal nyahnyah.gif

Oh explosives very much can be deadly. Just the low grade stuff isn't going to do much and is mainly there for say...taking out that door you need to get through. aka breaching charges. The fun is in the upper rating stuff biggrin.gif.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
However there aren't rules for that.
QUOTE (SR4 p. 315)
The Blast value for a circular explosion is –2 per meter, while the Blast value for a directional explosion (up to 60 degrees in a specific direction) is –1 per meter.
[...]
If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area far bigger than the actual blast—the Blast value is halved, effectively doubling the radius of effect.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 22 2005, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SR4 p. 315)
The Blast value for a circular explosion is –2 per meter, while the Blast value for a directional explosion (up to 60 degrees in a specific direction) is –1 per meter.

So now i'm curiouse.

To still be doing 10DV of damage how far out can the person be.

Circular

23.5 m away

Directional

Far more easier. 47 meters away smile.gif

EDIT: Bleh i know i failed english for a reason Far easier...not far more easier...gah
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 22 2005, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SR4 p. 315)

Ah, missed that. So claymores are in there (hello brick curtain of death!). But a flatish plane of post cutting blast is not.
Rotbart van Dainig
And to replace 1kg commercial, you only need 40g of rating 15 foam/plastic.

PS: Detcord isn't really 'directional'. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 22 2005, 09:23 AM)
PS: Detcord isn't really 'directional'. wink.gif

I thought i'd look around to see how shaping explosives is generally done, as i only have the vaguest idea. The internet comes through again with a set of discussion boards...

Don't click unless you want your IP to be on an number of FBI/CIA/CSA/ATF watch lists. Or move up said watch lists if you are already there. smile.gif

Interesting, it seems a big thing in shaped charges is actually having an material that you can cast. I guess that would give you the ability to shape in a very precise way. So its done before hand, not in the field. But you are also able to get field flexibility in shaping the force if you have multiple detonators and fire them with different timing. Or i suppose also with different positioning of them relative to the other.

So wouldn't you be able to arrange detcord, possibly with multiple detonaters, such as to create a directed explosion? Just that it would tend to be rather rudimentary, depending on your ability to get and keep the cord into a shape?
hobgoblin
one interesting way i observed ones for directing blasts where to put a bag of water on the side pointing away from the surface you wanted destroyed.

the water helped increase the amount of force directed towards the surface. and it allso have the positiv of no extra shrapnel generated cyber.gif
Shadow_Prophet
Either way...with a direction charge with little or nothing in its way of the size and rating I talked about earlier you can still generaly kill someone, or at the very least cripple someone standing 47 meters away which one will note is on the edge of everything but a heavy pistol and even then the heavy pistol only outranges it by 13 meters and doesn't do nearly as much damage smile.gif (granted 5 more meteres out and they're about even save the HP ushualy has AP on its side.)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Narmio)

However, this causes a problem at the other end of the scale, once out of character generation, players can get explosives up to rating FIFTEEN without any change in the availability.  Resulting in 15DV for one kilo, 30DV for four.  Which is rightfully powerful.  However, double that as above and you wind up with an insane 60DV for four kilos.  This is already how much damage it's going to do to a barrier, it's certainly not a good idea to double it for people.  In fact, it might be worthwhile lowering the max rating and/or making the availability incremental.

...hmmm

Looks like Leela the Wiz kid needs to come out of retirement....

that is provided I could make her work under SR4 guidelines.

Austere Emancipator
blakkie: A "shaped charge" refers to explosive charges where the explosives themselves are shaped such as to direct the energy of the explosion to a particular direction or point. There is a huge variety of these: Simple cutting charges, linear and platter charges, and some others you can rig in the field just fine. The most common type of shaped charge, the concave copper-lined one used in e.g. HEAT warheads, is impossible to make without the specific tools and materials, which you aren't going to have on the field -- and the same goes for several other types of shaped charges.

Or, to put it more simply, you are definitely able to make an explosive charge direct most of its energy in some general direction, and this can be used e.g. to cut or break through supports and beams and such or to make field-expedient directed mines, but the direction will indeed be general (and thus no armor-piercing or linear cutting charges), and the only real way you can stop the explosion from having a signficant effect in all other directions is to place something heavy (and, if you want to stop shrapnel, solid) in between.
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
....The most common type of shaped charge, the concave copper-lined one used in e.g. HEAT warheads, is impossible to make without the specific tools and materials, which you aren't going to have on the field -- and the same goes for several other types of shaped charges.....

On one of those boards i linked to in an old thread (i think it was the Demolitions one, with 100 day filter on) they were talking about munitions that used a cast shaped charges with 2 detonaters arranged so that the use was field selectable between 2 uses (if i followed the text correctly). This is one of those munitions that used the hot jet out front to melt a path into armor ahead of the munition itself.

I understand that you can't eliminate colateral damage. Just reduce the percentage of force in a given direction somewhat through energy dispersion, or placing it to use the surrounding to deflect. Like the idea of the bag of water (which will reflect, deflect, and disperse some of the energy), or blast blankets, etc.
Siege

Stupid salsa

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! rotfl.gif grinbig.gif notworthy.gif

Oh Gawd, we really need a RIP or tombstone smilie... cool.gif

-Siege
Knarfy
Dont know if you guys noticed this or not, but the hits on the demo test dont add to the DV, they add to the RATING smile.gif

so with 4kg of rating 3 commercial, and 4 hits on the demo test, thats DV 14, not 10 smile.gif

Each hit on the Demolitions + Logic Test adds 1 to
the explosive’s eff ective rating.

SR4 pg 315
hobgoblin
silly question, but how common is C4 or similar in commersial demolition jobs? to me it sounds like something that more often then not overkill for what they are supposed to do with it.

ie, i wound rather have several weaker detonations then one big one as it allows me to contol what and where things happen, and in what sequence.

still, it sounds as if SR rules got quite a bit more practical when it comes to demolitions as one can get stuff in flexible ratings compared to the commersial, C6 and C12 of old.

if one dont have demolitions, grab a higher rating. if one have demolitions, grab a lower rating and apply it correctly. bigger bang or more control, either way the result is (more or less) the same...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
silly question, but how common is C4 or similar in commersial demolition jobs?

C-4, I assume, is not the most common commercially used explosive, but judging by its availability and affordability, I should think it sees a fair amount of use.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
to me it sounds like something that more often then not overkill for what they are supposed to do with it.

Unlike in Shadowrun, in the real world common explosives are all nearly as energetic per unit of mass. For example, compared to TNT (the standard in such measurements), C-4 generates 1.37 times the pressure per unit of mass, and 1.19 times the impulse. Well-made ANFO ("fertilizer bombs") can get as high as 0.82 times the pressure per unit of mass.

It's not a question of overkill, it's more a question of having the right burn speed for the job (some explosives detonate faster than others, creating a different kind of pressure/impulse pattern), and, of course, of price.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
ie, i wound rather have several weaker detonations then one big one as it allows me to contol what and where things happen, and in what sequence.

If it were the case that some explosives were simply far more energetic than others (and it isn't, looking at commonly used ones IRL), you could simply use less of them and have almost the exact same kind of explosion.
Nikoli
What I find interesting is somemining operations have to register with an international body before some detonations because the impulse wave closely resembles that of an underground nuclear test to a seimographic sensor and they don't want to panic anyone unduly.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)

Stupid salsa

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! rotfl.gif grinbig.gif notworthy.gif

Oh Gawd, we really need a RIP or tombstone smilie... cool.gif

Glad to be of service. It really was an entertaining moment for those of us bright enough to stay off the pier.

The best part: Bomberman#1 triggers the detonator and the DM just stares at them with the look an entymologist might give a particularly unusual form of insect.

Bomberman#2 then says, and I quote: "Hey, he had it coming!"

It took 15 minutes before I could breathe again, I was laughing so hard.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
to me it sounds like something that more often then not overkill for what they are supposed to do with it.

Unlike in Shadowrun, in the real world common explosives are all nearly as energetic per unit of mass. For example, compared to TNT (the standard in such measurements), C-4 generates 1.37 times the pressure per unit of mass, and 1.19 times the impulse. Well-made ANFO ("fertilizer bombs") can get as high as 0.82 times the pressure per unit of mass.

It's not a question of overkill, it's more a question of having the right burn speed for the job (some explosives detonate faster than others, creating a different kind of pressure/impulse pattern), and, of course, of price.

so instead of having the seperations between comersial and C6 (or whatever) that they had in SR3, they now have a variable rating system and only one type of explosive?

and the factors you describe are either pointless or very hard/silly to simulate in a rpg without having to break out a calculator i guess...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so instead of having the seperations between comersial and C6 (or whatever) that they had in SR3, they now have a variable rating system and only one type of explosive?

Apparently. I don't own SR4. I was just trying to set the RL side of this discussion straight.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and the factors you describe are either pointless or very hard/silly to simulate in a rpg without having to break out a calculator i guess...

Agreed. And there might even be significant technological advances in the field, allowing for much more powerful explosive substances. The point was simply to show that, as far as RL commercial and military explosives are concerned, the differences in power ("Rating") are actually quite small -- and even the "weaker" ones, like TNT, are quite powerful enough to mess people up with charges as "small" as 1kg.
hahnsoo
SR4 has commercial grade (Rating 3) and Foam and Plastic explosives (Rating 4 - 15). Commercial costs 100 nuyen per kilo, and covers pretty much any liquid and solid compound that blows up and is available for general use. Foam and Plastic both costs 100 nuyen times the rating. Foam is 12F availability, plastic is 16F availability.
Crusher Bob
Um, what's so pecial about malleable expllosives, that make them so hard to get?

Assuming we give TNT a rating of 4, most 'homemade' explosives would be rating 2 or 3, with most 'good' explosives being rating 5 or 6.

Nikoli
Well, for PC manufacture, I would have rating*2 for threshhold with an interval of 8 hours to 1 day (rating =<5 8 hours, 6 and up 1 day)
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Um, what's so pecial about malleable expllosives, that make them so hard to get?

the fact that their malleable make them particullarly valuable for sensitive blasts and they are hard to get hold of because they are a HIGHLY controlled substance, for instance IRL i can go out and get a permit to blast a beaver dam out of my pond so that the stream that feeds it is uncompromised, however for that i can only get regular TNT, where as to get plastique you need to have something akin to a diploma from a school of explosive deconstruction or had at least an apprenticeship under one of the main demo companies in the US, (you know the ones, they show them on discovery all the time)

look at the guy who tried to blow up the airplane with the sole of his shoe, plastic can be shaped, baked and hidden as if it was clay, and so long as you are able to apply a detonator somehow, and get the correct amount of heat and pressure on the plastique it will blow, making a VERY large shaped explosion
hobgoblin
and i would guess its very rarely that you need explosive clay if all your going to do is blow apart rock or concrete supports.

instead you drill holes where sticks of the stuff can fit...

as for the strength. maybe the commersial stuff is rather downmixed then the other stuff is upmixed. ie, the commersia stuff is limited by adding extra chemicals somehow.

as people need more stuff to make a bigger explosion its harder to smuggle into an area. so trying to take out a a big part of a consert will reqire you to smuggle in several kilos of the stuff, more then enough to set of any electronic or biological nose in the area nyahnyah.gif

but if your going to blow stuff up legaly then you just roll the stuff in by the truckload and drill more holes wink.gif
Crusher Bob
And pay for shipping, and pay for trucks, and pay for truck drivers, and pay for drilling machines, and pay for drilling machine operators, and pay for more demo guys to pack the explosives, and wait for all the extra time to get dome.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012