Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zephan Brannigan, AKA Lt. Smoothie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
blakkie
I drafted this character up quickly as leverage to ensure someone else in our group played a face. Basically extortion, someone else would play a face or I'd pay Lt. Smoothie. It appears now that I will not need to play him. cool.gif Please check over before I post to the Wiki.

[ Spoiler ]
Shadow_Prophet
Zephan was a junior officer in the Tir military until he was given a Dishonourable Discharge for Conduct Unbecoming An Officer due to an incident involving a General's daughter, a pack of breathmints, and a turkey baster. He then got into the shadowrunning business because he thought that it would be "a great way to pickup chicks, danger is such a turn-on for them".

That reminds me of a LoT5R char my friend played. A crab bushi named Hida Yamamoto...the crab ladies man with the letchery and uncouth flaws.

"Wouldn't it be great if some scorpion found out that he was really dishonerable and needed to commit sepuku?" --Crane Courtier

"I'm on it..." --Scorpion ninja

------------

Onto the actual character...I probably wouldn't allow him on the fact of body starting at 1? How did he manage to live to be old enough to survive surgery...and for that matter how did he survive surgery nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
Hmmm, just noticed that i gave him a SL and Simsense Vertigo. I'm going to take that out and give him a different pistol with a laser sight instead. Maybe some ear buds and a subvocal so he uses his commlink as a radio, no visual.

EDIT: Done, Colt Manhunter with silencer and a Raecor Sting for in the suit.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Onto the actual character...I probably wouldn't allow him on the fact of body starting at 1? How did he manage to live to be old enough to survive surgery...and for that matter how did he survive surgery nyahnyah.gif

Duh, that's why he got the Bone work and the Superthyroid.

Are you just making a joke, or are you really that much of a weenie GM? You don't let any characters have a natural 1 in an Attribute? It isn't like he's playing with a 1.
hahnsoo
There's a couple major problems here about the Body attribute. First, you are using a Suprathyroid gland, which has an availability of 20F (above the starting character availability of 12). Second, you really only have a Body of 2, including Suprathyroid. This means that any armor above 4 will give you armor penalties to your Agility and Reaction. Your Actioneer 5/3 will give you a -1 point penalty.

As far as the low body attribute, it could have been higher before he got his implants, but something could have gone wrong during his hospitalization, or maybe he didn't do his appropriate physical therapy to recover. In other words, it's explainable, if a bit on the implausible side.

It would be helpful to know how old he is... Sperethial would not be a native language for the vast majority of elves out there. Even if he's young enough, it would only be a native language for someone born in the Tirs.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 26 2005, 02:01 PM)
Onto the actual character...I probably wouldn't allow him on the fact of body starting at 1?  How did he manage to live to be old enough to survive surgery...and for that matter how did he survive surgery nyahnyah.gif

Duh, that's why he got the Bone work and the Superthyroid.

Are you just making a joke, or are you really that much of a weenie GM? You don't let any characters have a natural 1 in an Attribute? It isn't like he's playing with a 1.

A stat of 1 is damn near crippled in my opinion.

Furthermore you only would have a 2 body. Superthyroid is the ONLY thing on that sheet that actualy increases body. The bone density and lacing only add to body durring damage resistance tests.

Sorry for going by deffinitions of what the attribute levels are body 1...weak...beyond underdeveloped. IE How the hell did he survive the flu?
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
<snip>
Sorry for going by deffinitions of what the attribute levels are body 1...weak...beyond underdeveloped. IE How the hell did he survive the flu?

I guess "weenie" it is. ohplease.gif

P.S. Body fixed.
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 26 2005, 02:24 PM)
<snip>
Sorry for going by deffinitions of what the attribute levels are body 1...weak...beyond underdeveloped.  IE  How the hell did he survive the flu?

P.S. Body fixed.

Toss me into the weenie camp too then. There'd have to be a damn good reason for somebody to have an attribute of base of 1 in anything.

Calypso
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (blakkie)
<snip>
Sorry for going by deffinitions of what the attribute levels are body 1...weak...beyond underdeveloped.  IE  How the hell did he survive the flu?

P.S. Body fixed.

Quote from PG. 62 SR4
HUMAN ATTRIBUTE RATINGS
Rating Description
1 Weak
2 Underdeveloped
3 Typical
4 Improved
5 Superior
6 Maximum unmodifi ed
human

Yes I'm sorry I use tables and expect halfway decent character concepts.

You had a base stat of 1, which is weak, and worse than under developed. Give me a break blakkie nyahnyah.gif. Sorry I play a roleplaying game instead of a min maxing/munchining style game.
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2005, 03:38 PM)
<snip>

P.S. Body fixed.

Toss me into the weenie camp too then. There'd have to be a damn good reason for somebody to have an attribute of base of 1 in anything.

Calypso

He was born that way? frown.gif It does say Weak, it doesn't say "Gimp", "Cripple", or "unable to survive walking down the street".
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 26 2005, 02:42 PM)
You had a base stat of 1, which is weak, and worse than under developed.  Give me a break blakkie nyahnyah.gif.  Sorry I play a roleplaying game instead of a min maxing/munchining style game.

Umm, the Wiki is for NPCs.

P.S. Your style would be actually the possibilities of limiting character concepts because you just write off a section of the table.
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
He was born that way? frown.gif It does say Weak, it doesn't say "Gimp", "Cripple", or "unable to survive walking down the street".

Weak is weaker than Underdeveloped. This poor guy is going to catch every cold/flu that passes within a kilometer of him. Or maybe he breaks his hip when he rolls out of bed (except for the bone work). Or he can't climb a flight of stairs without collapsing.

Basically, he's close to an invalid. He has the body of somebody who was bedridden for 2 years. Or someone with an immuno-deficiency of some kind. I feel sorry for him frown.gif

Calypso
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 26 2005, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2005, 03:43 PM)
He was born that way?  frown.gif   It does say Weak, it doesn't say "Gimp", "Cripple", or "unable to survive walking down the street".

Weak is weaker than Underdeveloped. This poor guy is going to catch every cold/flu that passes within a kilometer of him. Or maybe he breaks his hip when he rolls out of bed (except for the bone work). Or he can't climb a flight of stairs without collapsing.

Basically, he's close to an invalid. He has the body of somebody who was bedridden for 2 years. Or someone with an immuno-deficiency of some kind. I feel sorry for him frown.gif

Calypso

Well i feel sorry for you, too. frown.gif

P.S. I must have missed that description in the BBB. :^)
Rotbart van Dainig
That explains the turkey baster.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
That explains the turkey baster.

rotfl.gif
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
Well i feel sorry for you, too.

Thank you for your concern. Were you planning to elaborate on that insult, or just leave it ambigous?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2005, 03:43 PM)
He was born that way?  frown.gif  It does say Weak, it doesn't say "Gimp", "Cripple", or "unable to survive walking down the street".

Calypso

Thank you.

Secondly Blakkie, you advertised this as a character YOU were going to play if no one else made a face.

And no I don't limit it. If you managed to come up with even a halfway decent reason for body one and being able to survive to the point of the surgery for the superthyroid and still be quite under developed and sickly then sure.

Thats ofcourse besides the fact that how did the guy make it into the military with a body 2? Or 1 if with your story he got the gland in the military.

I'll let you play anything if you can justify it. And well I can't see any justification for that. Go ahead and try and surprise me there if you want.

An asside I do kinda like my npc's to be realistic too.
blakkie
QUOTE (calypso)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2005, 03:50 PM)

Thank you for your concern. Were you planning to elaborate on that insult, or just leave it ambigous?

Because you are just reading into the single word description what you want. Did you read on page 61 what Body can mean?

Further exactly what have you described that would preclude this character from existing? More vulnerable than normal to certain things, sure. But able to function, and with the augmentation even more-so.
calypso
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (calypso @ Sep 26 2005, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2005, 03:50 PM)

Because you are just reading into the single word description what you want. Did you read on page 61 what Body can mean?

Further exactly what have you described that would preclude this character from existing? More vulnerable than normal to certain things, sure. But able to function, and with the augmentation even more-so.

I'm assuming that if rating 6 is the human maximum, then rating 1 is the human minimum. IE: The weakest someone can be in an attribute and still survive. If you have a better interpretation, by all means do share.

And what about it precludes the character from existing? Nothing, except that the only reason that the character has a body of 1 thus far is to save a few build points. I mean, how does one even survive as a Shadowrunner with a body of 1? The first bullet that comes your way takes you out.

Calypso
Nikoli
Also, shouldn't he have Incompetence "Gettin Some" and Military Tactics?
calypso
QUOTE (Nikoli)

Z: A shrewd move, taken straight from Sun Tzu, or from my own book, Zap Brannigans Big Book of War! But the thing they don't realize, and never will...

K: Sir, they've docked and come aboard.

Z: Then I've gambled all and lost.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (calypso)
I mean, how does one even survive as a Shadowrunner with a body of 1?  The first bullet that comes your way takes you out.

The Damage Resistance actually is quite decent.
Even the Condition Monitor of 9 isn't a problem.

It's the Overflow Monitor of low-bods that tends to break the camel's back.
So, as long as that character doesn't plan to be wounded mortally, he's fine. wink.gif
snowRaven
My only problem with the Body 1 is that he's ex-military - and an officer to boot - how did he make it through training?

But with a good explanation I'd allow it, if I was the GM.

Judging from his history with that turkey baster and the girl...I'd lower Willpower a point and increase Body with it. As a GM, I'd even let you deduct two points off of Edge for getting caught with that, and increase your Body another point from toughening up after the beating the general gave you rotfl.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 26 2005, 02:24 PM)
There's a couple major problems here about the Body attribute.  First, you are using a Suprathyroid gland, which has an availability of 20F (above the starting character availability of 12).  Second, you really only have a Body of 2, including Suprathyroid.  This means that any armor above 4 will give you armor penalties to your Agility and Reaction.  Your Actioneer 5/3 will give you a -1 point penalty.

Thanks for the catch there, i rolled him back from my initial character of Body(2) + Suprathyroid and didn't check that.

Hmmm, didn't notice that Avail on the Suprathyroid. I guess i got it stuck in my head it was avail when Ellery used it as a reason why you could expect mages to start out with 'ware. frown.gif I've been using the XLS chargen sheet, and it doesn't have the Avail visible on the the 'Ware selection sheet. It doesn't check the Avail either, i should fix that there so it becomes more apparent.

EDIT: Hrmmm, i think i'll just put a cavet on the character that he's not a starting PC and post him as a a low level pimp/fixer to the Wiki (if i can get it working).

It would be helpful to know how old he is... Sperethial would not be a native language for the vast majority of elves out there.  Even if he's young enough, it would only be a native language for someone born in the Tirs.

I at first had him in the Tir military. But i wasn't sure if it would make sense for him to get a discharge and wander off like that. I'm not sure about the politics of the Tir military.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nikoli)

This is an alternate Opposite world. wink.gif
JongWK
I'm not sure if I'd call this character balanced, but knowing which Futurama character it's being modelled after, I find him completely reasonable. Fun too. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Secondly Blakkie, you advertised this as a character YOU were going to play if no one else made a face.

Yes, well i did have to cut him back a bit as i would have had a few extra BP. I also diverted some BP to the Contact as in our campaign contacts (and vehicles and lifestyles) are not applicable. *shrug* But i did imply checking him as an NPC. I certainly didn't ask if you'd let him play in your game as a PC. Frankly i value a stinking pile of dog crap more than the opinion on a PC of mine from someone that feel they must demand an explaination of a given set of Attributes. Want it? Stop being lazy and use your damn imagination.
TheNarrator
Blakkie, no one who's been in the military would have a Body of 1 unless he was horrible wounded in the line of duty. You ever heard of boot camp? No way anyone military would have a Body of less than 3 unless it had been so long since they'd done Physical Training that they'd totally atrophied.

I don't really see how he could have an agility that high with such a low Body, either. The exercise that made him so agile would have improved his stamina as well. Anyway, the Futurama character this is based on was over-weight. So, personally, if I were making the character, I'd move some BP from Agility to Body. It fits the character better, makes more sense from a biological perspective (there's only so agile one can be while being out of shape), and will increase his survivability. His Pistols skill is good enough to let him get by with a lower agility, but he'll get totally fragged if he gets shot, poisoned or otherwise harmed with that Body.

Also, since a score of 1 is supposed to represent the absolute meta-human minimum, I think anybody with a Body of 1 who tried to enlist in the military would either be stamped "REJECTED" and tossed out after their first physical or would be unable to pass boot camp until they'd buffed themselves up to a 3 at least. Certainly, they'd never be able to achieve an Agility of 6 (equivalent to the human maximum, and exceptional for an elf).

I wouldn't allow someone to have Body 1 and Agility 6 if I were a GM... and body 2 with Agility 5 would be a stretch.

This is just IMHO, of course. Feel free to ignore me and/or scream incoherent insults. biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (TheNarrator @ Sep 26 2005, 08:01 PM)
Blakkie, no one who's been in the military would have a Body of 1 unless he was horrible wounded in the line of duty. You ever heard of boot camp? No way anyone military would have a Body of less than 3 unless it had been so long since they'd done Physical Training that they'd totally atrophied.

*shrug* He never was much of a he-man, and really had to work hard to meet minimal standards. He also had more talking head posting as suit his skills and furthered by deliberate career choices on his part. He let things slide somewhat since basic training, and coupled with a few couple of nasty bouts of STDs since leaving military life he is somewhat fragile, yet still has his natural nimbleness.

Happy? Likely not, but i grow more than a little tired of trying to satisfy Dungeonmasters In Complete Kontrol (D.I.C.K.s) with lazy, stunted imaginations and even more stunted senses of fun. So if it isn't enough you can go get bent....especially since you actually give a partial possibility in your post.

Also, since a score of 1 is supposed to represent the absolute meta-human minimum...

An erroneous assertion. Note that there are negative qualities that can be used to represent even weaker constitutions, as well as permanently lost Essense, etc.

This is just IMHO, of course. Feel free to ignore me and/or scream incoherent insults.  biggrin.gif

How's the rest of this post?
blakkie
P.S. On a related subject can we please stop linking one abstract Attribute to another when they float independantly in the rules. Having them float independantly only provides a limited set of possibilities as it is without hamstringing them further with prejudiced cliches.
Fortune
If an Attribute of 1 wasn't supposed to be viable (even if only remotely) in Shadowrun, wouldn't there be a rule that prohibits players from making characters with just such an Attribute.

Not everyone is He-Man.
Lord Ben
If a player wants to make body 1 and charisma 7 or whatever they can hardly be called twinky min-maxers. He'll probaly just die right away.

That being said I like the PC. He's clever and probably fun to RP. Not everyone has to be a combat god.
evil1i
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 26 2005, 09:43 PM)
If an Attribute of 1 wasn't supposed to be viable (even if only remotely) in Shadowrun, wouldn't there be a rule that prohibits players from making characters with just such an Attribute.

Very true

They should have had a note saying that leaving a stat at 1 required GM approval or even just have starting stats that were at human norm (3) and then give back some BP if you decide to lower your character's stat. So take 160 odd BP off starting characters and give them all starting stats of 3. If they restricted you to >1 then also only having a maximum of -1 to a starting stat.

I have to say I agree with Blakkie for making the character with a stat of 1 although the idea that he was in the military is questionable without some background info.
warrior_allanon
i'm sorry i have only one things to say about this character, in the game i play in we would be saying one sentence......"your gonna diiiiieee!"

Taki
Hey men ...
That's just for one senario. Do you know how cheap it is to increase a attribut from 1 to 2 ? 6 karma ...
eh blakkie, give your character a mononucleosis, so that in a month he could recover and boost body with karma

(come on, come on, they caught a min maxer ! Burn ! Burn ! Burn ! )wobble.gif
snowRaven
Well blakkie, with that explanation you just gave I for one would say go for it.

If a player wants to have a 1 in an attribute, that's their problem. As a GM I'll just question choices (any choices) on a character that does not match whatever background/concept the character has.

(Like, for instance, if someone wanted to play an accountant who just turned to the shadows and decided to buy an Assault Rifle, 1000 rounds EX Explosive and a skill of 6 for it at char gen...)

If they can come up with a good/interesting/amusing reason for their choices (said accountant spent every summer since he was 5 hunting paracritters with his survivalist uncle, using an AR) I'll applaud.

If I'm not mistaken, even the rules suggest that any PC be approved by the GM, and the criteria I take into consideration is numbers vs. background/story, playability in the group (no street sams who hate trolls joining an all troll group unless he has plans to assassinate them all and will actually try), questionable use of rules loopholes.

I'll also allow things like gear with too high avail if the player has a good concept/reason for having them, and occasionally even other 'violation' of char gen rules.

*shrug* dunno how the rest of you handle their games, but it works well for me and my group.
Fortune
Blakkie? A Min-maxer?

*gasp*

Who'da thunk it?! biggrin.gif

Well, he's in good company, as far as I'm concerned. wink.gif
Lord Ben
What's wrong with being an accountant with an assault rifle and skill 6 who turned to the shadows? Maybe they did it 4 months ago and the stuff in that 4 months didn't warrent going indepth with the backstory.

In my group we have several people who always play odd social people who just happen to be gifted with magic. Yet the same people think it odd when my ex-nun character has max shooting. Err, why does their high school student max out magic? They just say they were born gifted but then proceed to mock the character that is just naturally talented with a pistol or whatever.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
What's wrong with being an accountant with an assault rifle and skill 6 who turned to the shadows? Maybe they did it 4 months ago and the stuff in that 4 months didn't warrent going indepth with the backstory.

In my group we have several people who always play odd social people who just happen to be gifted with magic. Yet the same people think it odd when my ex-nun character has max shooting. Err, why does their high school student max out magic? They just say they were born gifted but then proceed to mock the character that is just naturally talented with a pistol or whatever.

I hope the accountant you mention is the one which went hunting every weekend (and a fair amount of time at the firing range) for most of his life.

Because otherwise you are suggesting that someone can go from untrained to the best metahumanly possible without a natural aptitude in 4 months, without anything majorly eventful happening.

Which is just silly.

Also if we are talking high school students then I would be questioning them having extremely high magic skills, born gifted is really more the stats after all, and what it more comes down to is that they are in high school, it would take some justification to explain them having the experience and training that higher skills would require.
Shadow_Prophet
Blakkie...if you didn't want people to review him you shouldn't have posted it in a public forum.

Secondly to those of you who say there should be a rule requiring GM approval on characters with a stat of 1...there already is a rule, but well, it applies to all characters. Its one of the final steps in chargen, GM approval.

And for the record blakkie, its not the GM's responsibility to make the character make sense or fit into the game world its the player. Also the std response was actualy prety good and I'd give you that, but with the warning that i wouldn't just let you quickly pump a bunch of karma into body to raise it up quickly after chargen.

GM's should not be the ones who have to use their imagination to justify a players stats.

Honestly Blakkie did you really expect everyone to welcome your character who didn't even fit with the rules to begin with as advertised? Did you honestly expect no one to say something bad about it? Or mention that you min maxed and them having a problem with it? Come on now, you're on a public forum.

I liked the concept of the character...i just didn't like the stats you came up with for him and I stated my issues with that using the rules that're laid out in the book. And I stated I would not allow him in my game without a good explanation (which you very reluctantly provided later I might add).
Lord Ben
Maybe the accountant plays lots of VR 1st person shooters.
Lord Ben
Some people are just naturally good at stuff. No justification needed. If you demand justification for every high stat you'll end up with two things. A bunch of average joes, or a bunch of ex navy seals.

Personally I find it's far more enjoyable to play a very skilled guy who gets caught up in things. But if given the choice between 3's in everything or ex navy seal I'll pick the navy seal every time.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Some people are just naturally good at stuff. No justification needed. If you demand justification for every high stat you'll end up with two things. A bunch of average joes, or a bunch of ex navy seals.

Personally I find it's far more enjoyable to play a very skilled guy who gets caught up in things. But if given the choice between 3's in everything or ex navy seal I'll pick the navy seal every time.

Well theres a difference between what you're describing ben and what blakkie had there.

I don't ask for justification of everything. I ask for a concept and i apply that concept to the sheet. If the sheet and concept don't mesh, as this didn't at first. I require explanation and justification. Blakkie after much mumbling and groaning that I just take the fun out of everything gave me that.

I want my players to build characters. Not just a sheet with numbers. I'd like them to put some thought into who that character is. Why they do what they do. What makes them tick ect. And all in all, because of that I, (have to use the word ushualy because of last session *mutters) ushualy, have a more enjoyable game because its not just throwing dice, its roleplaying.

If you came to me with the accountant who just got swept up in things character with assult rifles 6 and handed it to me I'm going to ask you how does your accountant have assult rifles 6. And if you turn and only give me the explanation, like blakkie did at first, 'because the rules say i can' I'm going to tell you to come back when you have a halfway decent explanation.

The rules are not a basis for rp. The rules are there to guide and mediate rp.

Heres the way I view the character creation proccess. Step one, come up with a good concept. Step two, build the sheet around the concept. Or in the case that you have a new trick you want to try in the system, build the sheet, then build the concept around the sheet, but build that concept so that it supports the sheet and is atleast somewhat believable.

I don't think it was too much to ask for blakkie to justify body 1 (2) with him being in the Tir military. He made a big deal out of it certainly. But when he gave a decent answer I've accepted it.

I'm sorry if my style of justify it when it completely doesn't fit your concept doesn't sit well with you but you're not likely to change my mind on it.
Lord Ben
Sure, it's valid as a DM to ask why people have a certain skill set but as a player it's also valid to stick something in there because it's useful instead. When creating the character you have to not be great at something. You can't decide to RP someone who's the BEST EVAR and expect the rules to cater to you. So if you want to create someone smart and smooth you'll need to be weaker physically. So you could start at 3's in everything and spend a boatload of XP to raise the ones you want higher to 5 or 6, or you could star at 5 and raise the lower ones in game for less XP. Don't penalize a player all that karma just because the rules for char creation and advancement after the fact are hokey.

Why does my character have demolitions 1 +2 foam and first aid 1 +2 combat wounds even though I'm just some hedonist bker who lives on his boat? Because they're useful skills.
booklord
I wouldn't allow someone to have Body 1 and Agility 6 if I were a GM... and body 2 with Agility 5 would be a stretch.

What about a guy modeled after Doc Holiday from the movie "Tombstone". That's a perfect example of a guy with a Body of 1 and a freakishly high agility.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Sure, it's valid as a DM to ask why people have a certain skill set but as a player it's also valid to stick something in there because it's useful instead. When creating the character you have to not be great at something. You can't decide to RP someone who's the BEST EVAR and expect the rules to cater to you. So if you want to create someone smart and smooth you'll need to be weaker physically. So you could start at 3's in everything and spend a boatload of XP to raise the ones you want higher to 5 or 6, or you could star at 5 and raise the lower ones in game for less XP. Don't penalize a player all that karma just because the rules for char creation and advancement after the fact are hokey.

Why does my character have demolitions 1 +2 foam and first aid 1 +2 combat wounds even though I'm just some hedonist bker who lives on his boat? Because they're useful skills.

And you can go that way certainly. As I said. If I see something out of place that just totaly doesn't fit, I ask for justification.

And I don't think I'd be penalizing you if I were to ask you to justify the demolitions with foam explosives as your specialty since well thats not a skill you'd pick up just anywhere since well most people never touch explosives like that.

You can go the route of weak skills and stats because they're easier to raise with karma. But don't expect them to go lightning quick up, even though the cost in karma would suggest they would, in my games. Training times...what you actualy used...things of that nature all play into things.

Not to mention I run skills abstractly and I apply what those levels of skills mean. Sure you have demolitions 1 (foam +2) despite having dice to make the roll you're not going to know how to place charges in order to get a building to implode. Nor would you know which support you should blow in order to cause the building to collapse. You're a novice who's only been shown and only learned on foam explosives so far.

And despite what some people think I don't consider that penalizing a player at all and never will. The player made the choice to have a low skill because it would be easier and cheaper to raise. But they have low skill and they're going to have to suffer through with that till they learn enough to raise it and become more compitent in that field.
Nikoli
Too bad borrowed time isn't available in the main book, but yo are right, Dr. holiday, DMD is a great example of a bod 1 and agi of 7 along with ambidexterity and pistols (Revolvers) 7
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (booklord)

What about a guy modeled after Doc Holiday from the movie "Tombstone". That's a perfect example of a guy with a Body of 1 and a freakishly high agility.

I'd give him body 2 but thats me. And if thats the way you describe him I'd go with it. Though you're going to spend all your time on the floor if a fight breaks out wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 27 2005, 07:45 AM)
Blakkie...if you didn't want people to review him you shouldn't have posted it in a public forum.

I asked for him to get checked out for being posted to an NPC list. But your D.I.C.K. instincts of cource kicked in. Fortunately i got one real good post out of the thread, which given DSF's pestilance is about par for the course.

And for the record blakkie, its not the GM's responsibility to make the character make sense or fit into the game world its the player.

Well you aren't the GM of me. nyahnyah.gif I'm not coming to you as a player. So stop being a lazy ass.

Also the std response was actualy prety good and I'd give you that, but with the warning  that i wouldn't just let you quickly pump a bunch of karma into body to raise it up quickly after chargen.

....where upon i'd give you a warning that if you didn't stop being a weenie f#ckn#t either:
1) you'd seriously regret when it came my time behind the GM screen
2) i wouldn't bother playing at all with you sad, limited little weenieness.

After all, gee, he could'nt possibly get back into shape, could he? But of course that's all hypothetical as this is an NPC, and there is little chance i'd ever put up with an extended period of fun sucking crap from a GM like that.

GM's should not be the ones who have to use their imagination to justify a players stats.

How about the people around the table that demand more justification, be they GM or player, bear some of the responsibility for creating it? Why exactly couldn't YOU come up with the STD idea? Because you lack vision? Because you built a mental barrier in your mind? Because you think being a D.I.C.K. makes for a great game because it's the only way to force those damn bastard players to have fun?

Honestly Blakkie did you really expect everyone to welcome your character who didn't even fit with the rules to begin with as advertised?  Did you honestly expect no one to say something bad about it?  Or mention that you min maxed and them having a problem with it?  Come on now, you're on a public forum.

I was hoping for some constructive critisism. Fortunately hahnsoo posted such and salvaged the thread, in spite of you.

I liked the concept of the character...i just didn't like the stats you came up with for him and I stated my issues with that using the rules that're laid out in the book.  And I stated I would not allow him in my game without a good explanation (which you very reluctantly provided later I might add).

...where upon you turned your brain off, and went into (remained in?) D.I.C.K mode.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (booklord @ Sep 27 2005, 09:58 AM)

I'd give him body 2 but thats me. And if thats the way you describe him I'd go with it. Though you're going to spend all your time on the floor if a fight breaks out wink.gif

So maybe you can stop worrying about it and let the rules take care of the rules?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012