Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioware and Ghouls
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
If a character becomes a ghoul, his bioware is absorbed. What about new bioware? Can you get it?
Halabis
Sure, if the doctor implanting them wants to risk exposure to your blood and becoming a ghoul himself.
Trax
So they wear a Hazmat suit.
hyzmarca
A Hazmat suit is a little extreme. There are incurable blood-borne illnesses today, you know. Doctors don't wear havmat suits when dealing with HIV or hepatitis patients. It really is a non-issue. The chances of being infected are very low when proper medical hygine is observed. It is probably more dangerous walking across the street. Kreiger strain can be treated in the early stages, as well. Regular screening should make accidental ghoulification impossible.
Trax
I was kiding.
Grinder
QUOTE (Trax)
So they wear a Hazmat suit.

What about a Ghoul doctor? Maybe hard to find.... and probably guarded by Ghoul Drop Bears. biggrin.gif
Ranneko
I'd be worried about going to a ghoul doctor, they might just decide to snack you know.
Ryu
Whats the matter? You´ve got a shiney new cyberarm after all...

...just call it fringe benefits for the doctor.
hyzmarca
Just bring a fresh, ripe, baby with you. Given the choice between a though, chewy, and unpallatable cyborg or a soft, tender, and delicious infant, the ghoul doctor will almost certainly eat the baby.

I wonder what ghouls, ghoul-friendly charities, and pro-ghoul lobbying groups think of Swift's A Modest Proposal. It does seem like a brilliant sollution to both help ghouls and the SINless poor. It also has the advantage of reducing the SINless population and thus lessening crime.
Velocity
Wow, that was some impressive derailment. From 'relevant' to 'non' in two posts--that has to be some kind of record.

Does anyone have an answer to Bearclaw's question? My gut tells me that it depends on why a person's bioware is lost when they initially undergo the transformation into a ghoul.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 26 2005, 11:57 PM)
A Hazmat suit is a little extreme. There are incurable blood-borne illnesses today, you know. Doctors don't wear havmat suits when dealing with HIV or hepatitis patients. It really is a non-issue. The chances of being infected are very low when proper medical hygine is observed. It is probably more dangerous walking across the street. Kreiger strain can be treated in the early stages, as well. Regular screen should make accidental ghoulification impossible.

Please hug me. I can't give you krieger. </cartoon bubble>

Ever see that poster of the crayon drawn little boy with HIV? frown.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Velocity @ Sep 27 2005, 09:14 AM)
Wow, that was some impressive derailment.  From 'relevant' to 'non' in two posts--that has to be some kind of record.

Does anyone have an answer to Bearclaw's question?  My gut tells me that it depends on why a person's bioware is lost when they initially undergo the transformation into a ghoul.

Any cyberware that interfaces directly with a Ghoul's system is automaticly broken by the transformation, yet purely structural cyber remains intact. Broken cyber can be repaired and new cyber can be installed. This suggests that bioware loss, as well as cyberware loss, is a direct result of the transformation process and not caused by being a ghoul.

Ghouls have the sensitive system flaw. It's exact wording doesn't say anything about bioware, only that it doubles essence costs for cyberware.

Reasonably, one could conclude that doubling bioindex costs would be correct. Also, I would not allow a ghoul to take any non-cultured bioware. A ghoul's ware would have to be custom made from its own infected cells and the 'ware itself would have to be infected during the growth process. The books say nothing of this, so it would just be a house rule but it is one that makes sense.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Ghouls have the sensitive system flaw. It's exact wording doesn't say anything about bioware, only that it doubles essence costs for cyberware.

Do you have a book & page reference for this?
hyzmarca
SRC page 34. It is on the Ghoul Characteristics Table.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
SRC page 34. It is on the Ghoul Characteristics Table.

Cheers! smile.gif
hermit
On a related question, can I biomod a shifter?
akarenti
You can't add any modification to a critter that Regenerates under normal circumstances; regeneration makes surgery pretty much impossible.
hermit
Well yeah ... but what about things like genetic modifcation, or operating using silver/wooden instruments?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hermit)
Well yeah ... but what about things like genetic modifcation, or operating using silver/wooden instruments?

Even operating using silver/wood/weapon foci won't help. You can implant the 'ware but the regeneration will just cause the character's body to expell it in a horribly painful manner and restore the orginal physiology. I don't know about genetherapy. Theoretically, regeneration should cover genetic damage, as well. If not, all shapeshifters and vampires would die quick deaths from cancer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012