Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Commlink Response Spiral of Doom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
calypso
So... say you have a Response 5, System 5 commlink running 5 programs (the limit on the number you can run without affecting your Response). You load another program, taking you to 6. Your Response drops by 1. Your System is limited to a max of your Response, so it also drops by 1. So you're now running 6 programs on a Response 4, System 4 commlink. You load another, which is fine, taking you to 7 on a 4/4. You load another, taking you to 8 on a 4/4. This causes another decrease to your Response, and likewise your system. You're now running 8 on a 3/3. Let's load another. 9 on a 3/3. Drop those by 1. So, 9 on a 2/2. Wait, now you're running 9 on a 2/2, which is more than 4 times your System. So drop it by another 1. So, 9 on a 1/1. Well, no wait, now it drops again to 0/0.... crap, my commlink just crashed.

So, either the limits on programs is based off your "original" system, or else there's a problem. Because it states that you if you run 10 programs with a System of 5, you take a -2 Response Penalty. Well, as I just showed, you in fact take a -5 penalty if it's iterative.

Calypso
Wasabi
p213 BBB, "A System program is limited by the Response rating of the device it is on; a System run on a device with a lower Response rating functions at the Response rating instead."

This means the EFFECTIVE System rating goes down, but not the actual base System rating. Its not iterative.
blakkie
A thread already exists on this, and it was generally concluded that it doesn't itertate into a downward spiral. That your lowered cap only is in regards to limiting the program ratings, not the total number of programs.

EDIT: Damn, too slow and without a direct quote. nyahnyah.gif
calypso
Yeah, I assumed any reasonable GM would rule that it wasn't iterative, but I found it moderately amusing that the ambiguity existed at all. biggrin.gif

Calypso
Rotbart van Dainig
It wouldn't even reduce your Program ratings, as they are limited by System, not by Response - reducing System would result in that 'spiral of doom'.

So running too many Programs is a real PitA in Cybercombat, Initative, Decryption or any other direct use of Response, but not so bad otherwise...
calypso
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
It wouldn't even reduce your Program ratings, as they are limited by System, not by Response - reducing System would result in that 'spiral of doom'.

So running too many Programs is a real PitA in Cybercombat, Initative, Decryption or any other direct use of Response, but not so bad otherwise...

Wouldn't your programs be running at your "effective" System level, which is reduced along with your Response?
Rotbart van Dainig
The fine point is - if you bother with an 'effective' System limiting the Ratings of Programs, you just reduced the number of Programs you are allowed to run, or the possible Subscriptions, too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012