Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ape The 4 Armed Wonder
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow_Prophet
Ok I believe it was Ravenus who asked me to redesign Ape (my 4 armed troll) in 4th ed to see how he would come out. So here's how he ends up...

[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Oh to note just realized it does make note that it should be smg sized or pistol sized to do multiple weapons so if i were to use him i might have to hose rule it for trolls and LMG's but we'll see. Anyways...
mintcar
Would you give an example of the numbers involved when you shoot someone to pieces with those four machine-guns? Are there even rules for firing 4 weapons at once? If not what are the house rules this character will be used with?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mintcar @ Sep 28 2005, 10:57 AM)
Would you give an example of the numbers involved when you shoot someone to pieces with those four machine-guns? Are there even rules for firing 4 weapons at once? If not what are the house rules this character will be used with?

Well I'd say that you'd just have to split your pool 4 times.

With the White knights recoil comp and the gyro's theres no need to worry about recoil, at all, even on full bursts.

His pool is 7 + 5 or 12 dice. if evenly divided 4 ways and fired at the same target thats 3 dice per arm. use wide bursts so its -9 to their dodge pool and as long as you score one hit per arm (statisticaly possible) you're going to be doing 7P -1AP 4 times.
Rotbart van Dainig
Replace the System of the Arms with Pilot and Add a Targeting autosoft - let them shoot. biggrin.gif
jtmonkey
Don't forget the really useful stuff like an internal air tank, smuggling compartment and sleep regulator. They aren't stat buffers, but they can be exceedingly useful as well as cool. The grapple gun is pretty good to, and gives that whole Batman vibe,
Shadow_Prophet
hrm interesting throughs, though only have 215 nuyen left over there wink.gif so they'd have to wait till he's out of chargen. But yes I looked all of those over just a matter of money smile.gif

Edit: Another thought that crossed my mind is giving him flechete ammo and re-naming him Oct-Oct or 8.8 after the 8.8 Flack Gun the germans used in WWII.
Nikoli
Mild addiction Cigars is right out. Tobacco is listed as inappropriate for the addiction quality.
QUOTE (SR4 PDF pg. 80)
A character with the Addiction quality is addicted to alcohol,
drugs, BTL chips, or a similar substance with a detrimental eff ect
on the character’s health (note that nicotine, caff eine, and sugar do
not count).

Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Sep 28 2005, 11:13 AM)
Mild addiction Cigars is right out.  Tobacco is listed as inappropriate for the addiction quality.
QUOTE (SR4 PDF pg. 80)
not count).

Ah so you're right, allow me to fix that then.

EDIT: Fixed now
Nikoli
Just trying to squelch any unnecessary criticisms.
Siege
Hah!

I'm surprised nobody's tricked out a drone with that notion yet.

-Siege
blakkie
You can't SL the White Knight (at least that is how i read it's no upgrade description). However for about 1500 nuyen.gif you can set him up with 4 belts of tracer ammo which on Full Burst is actually better than SL as it gives you +3. Not sure about whether or not tracer bonuses are invalid firing multiple weapons? If not, and if you could convince your GM to add the +3 to each weapon separately, that'd be damn nasty. smile.gif
Squinky
I think that upgrade thing on the whiteknight is referring to further recoil comps.
blakkie
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 28 2005, 07:58 PM)
I think that upgrade thing on the whiteknight is referring to further recoil comps.

Could be. Still with no recoil issues Full Burst tracers are better.
Ravennus
Interesting, Shadow Prophet.

A true 'concept' character.

Other than the house rules you have to use to actually play him, I'd think he'd be rather.....fun to have around, RP wise. cyber.gif

-Ravennus
nick012000
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Mild addiction Cigars is right out. Tobacco is listed as inappropriate for the addiction quality.
QUOTE (SR4 PDF pg. 80)
not count).

I don't have SR4, but they're wrong when they say that nicotine and caffiene aren't dangerous drugs.

Caffiene can do dangerous things to your blood pressure and the like when you consume too much, and the danger of smoking is self-evident.
mintcar
The mild addiction negative quality gives you a penalty equal to the addiction threshold of the drug if you´re without the substance for a week. Although I could clearly see that applying to cigarettes and caffein (you kiddin´me? a whole week without a cup of coffee and I´d be good for nothing), I think that they are not allowed simply because they are so widely available. There´s simply too many nicotin and caffein addicts in the world for it to be an issue getting your fix once a week, werever you are.

I might allow it as a moderate addiction that gives only 5 BP. You get the cravings once a day, but all you have to do is walk into the nearest shop to get what you need.

Withdrawal is described as something not very pretty, much worse than staying off of cigarettes. But at a addiction threshold of 1, all you get is -1 to all dice pools. That, to me, seems more like the severe headace i get from staying off of caffein than "appetite loss, cramps, cravings, delusions, depression, emotional instability, insomnia, irritability, nausea, shaking sweating, and worse". I think you could easily make the addiction rules work with lighter substances. You just have to make the addiction stronger for it to be concidered any kind of flaw.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Edit: Another thought that crossed my mind is giving him flechete ammo and re-naming him Oct-Oct or 8.8 after the 8.8 Flack Gun the germans used in WWII.

or maybe akak?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (blakkie)
You can't SL the White Knight (at least that is how i read it's no upgrade description). However for about 1500 nuyen.gif you can set him up with 4 belts of tracer ammo which on Full Burst is actually better than SL as it gives you +3. Not sure about whether or not tracer bonuses are invalid firing multiple weapons? If not, and if you could convince your GM to add the +3 to each weapon separately, that'd be damn nasty. smile.gif

Well can't get smartlink bonus' when fireing multiple weapons either. The smartlink contacts are mainly there if he say picks up another weapon. Its one of those things I figgured would be just good to have around. He won't be using it 90% of the time but it'll come in handy the rest of the time.

He already doesn't suffer from recoil smile.gif But the tracer ammo is a interesting idea.

Interesting, Shadow Prophet.

A true 'concept' character.

Other than the house rules you have to use to actually play him, I'd think he'd be rather.....fun to have around, RP wise.

-Ravennus

Oh he's hillariouse to rp. I mean imagine the situations...

Your Johnson's sitting in the back room. He's thinking he's all safe with his two big ork bodyguards on either side of him. Your team walks in, mainly elves and humans, and then the 4 armed cyberd monstrosity that is ape walks in. I mean how do you respond to that. He could even be the party face. I mean are you going to tell the troll with 4 arms no? wink.gif Funny thing is he only acts real rough and gruff for stuff like that. Personality wise he's a bit of a intelectual Which works out well with 4 arms. One to hold the tea saucer, one to hold the tea cup and the other two to hold a good book for reading (the one thing he collects smile.gif ) wink.gif

Best thing is in our games the 4 arms don't give him any sort of bonus' in combat, well asside from stunt bonus'. nothing like grabbing a guy by the sholders with two arms and punching him with the other two wink.gif. makes for all sorts of fun visuals.

He is by far one of the most fun characters I've ever played smile.gif
Nikoli
I imagine that if he wereto take a hostage, he'd be set to maintain a hold and fire a weapon while pointing one at the meatshield.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I imagine that if he wereto take a hostage, he'd be set to maintain a hold and fire a weapon while pointing one at the meatshield.

Hold with one arm, point gun at the head of the hostage with the other. Fire with the other pair of arms smile.gif
Nikoli
nononono, hold with 2. can you imagine how hard someone would be struggling when picked up by that monster?
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Nikoli)
nononono, hold with 2. can you imagine how hard someone would be struggling when picked up by that monster?

Well that depends. Has ape lifted them up looked into their eyes and growled angrily and threatened to rip a appendage off and beat them with it? I mean if that doesn't make the poor sap piss himself nothing will. wink.gif
snowRaven
I think I'm going to use this beast as an NPC in my campaign... vegm.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (snowRaven)
I think I'm going to use this beast as an NPC in my campaign... vegm.gif

Awesomeness!
snowRaven
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Sep 30 2005, 07:59 AM)
I think I'm going to use this beast as an NPC in my campaign...  vegm.gif

Awesomeness!

He is just too good to pass up - especially with that intellectual side... love.gif
Siege
Ooooook!

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012