Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reaction Enhancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lebo77
Can Wired Reflexes and Reaction Enhancers be used together? It looks like the book tries to have it both ways.
Autarkis
Reaction Enhancer explicity states it can not be used with anything else....

How does that seem to have it both ways?
Fortune
The sample characters include some that use them together. I think you'l find that the wording excudes other 'Initiative-Boosting' means as being incompatable, not neccesarily all 'Reaction-Boosting'.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Autarkis)
Reaction Enhancer explicity states it can not be used with anything else....
QUOTE (SR4 p. 334)
Reaction enhancers are compatible with other Initiative-boosters.
JBlades
It's not the Reaction Enhancer entry that says it can't be used with other Reaction enhancements, it's the Wired Reflexes (p.335, left column, 4th paragraph, last sentence) and Synaptic Booster (p.340, right column, 3rd paragraph, last sentence) entries that say they can't be used with any other Initiative enhancement. The Reaction Enhancers boost Reaction, not Initiative, and so may not qualify as being effected under that ban.

Normally I would say that this was a violation of the spirit of the statement, but since I don't see many other ways to explain the statement in the RE passage besides maybe being a reference to Phys Ads being allowed to stack them and Improved Reflexes/Combat Sense, I guess that's the intent. They also could have thrown that in there to say it stacks with Suprathyroid Gland, too, now that I look at it, though...

Maybe the Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Enhancers passages are trying to say that they don't stack with anything that gives more Initiative Passes? Certainly that would make sense.
Fortune
QUOTE (JBlades)
Maybe the Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Enhancers passages are trying to say that they don't stack with anything that gives more Initiative Passes? Certainly that would make sense.

That's pretty much exactly what they are saying.
Azralon
You're still going to run into the attribute cap on Reaction, though, yeah?
Clyde
Sure, you'll run right into the cap. On the other hand, that's not such a bad thing- you'll be as hard to hit as possible straight out of the box for example.
blakkie
And you'll have mad skillz driving cars in the meat.
Lebo77
OK, so the limitation is against having multiple things which grant Init. PASSES, not things which add to reaction or intuition. (and therefore Initiative).
Fortune
QUOTE (Lebo77)
OK, so the limitation is against having multiple things which grant Init. PASSES, not things which add to reaction or intuition. (and therefore Initiative).

You got it! smile.gif
Veggiesama
If you have Wired Reflexes 1, can someone cast Increased Reflexes (Force 4) and have it stack (4 total if stack, or would they not stack and Increased Reflexes take precedence)? What about WR1 and extra passes from VR? If they don't "stack", and you had WR3 (giving you a total of 4 passes), and then went into VR with a hot sim, would you have 3 passes from the hot sim or 4 passes from wired reflexes?
Fortune
QUOTE (Veggiesama)
If you have Wired Reflexes 1, can someone cast Increased Reflexes (Force 4) and have it stack (4 total if stack, or would they not stack and Increased Reflexes take precedence)? What about WR1 and extra passes from VR? If they don't "stack", and you had WR3 (giving you a total of 4 passes), and then went into VR with a hot sim, would you have 3 passes from the hot sim or 4 passes from wired reflexes?

No stacking of Initiative Passes. In the case of Wired Reflexes 1 and Increase Reflexes, I'd let the best one stand, over-riding the lesser (but again, not stacking).

VR over-rides everything physical, so Wired Reflexes wouldn't apply.
Wasabi
This means if you can forego the 2 extra dice to action for full VR a wired hacker using AR is more effective than a VR hacker. smile.gif
Ranneko
QUOTE (Wasabi)
This means if you can forego the 2 extra dice to action for full VR a wired hacker using AR is more effective than a VR hacker. smile.gif

Indeed, although there are a couple of tests which move up a retest time if you are not in VR.
Fortune
QUOTE (Wasabi)
This means if you can forego the 2 extra dice to action for full VR a wired hacker using AR is more effective than a VR hacker.

Yep.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Ranneko)
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Oct 6 2005, 02:33 PM)

Indeed, although there are a couple of tests which move up a retest time if you are not in VR.

Bad me for not knowing but um.... which ones?

This isn't a challenge. I play a hacker and want to more clearly know my OWN limitations...

smile.gif
Lord Ben
Probing a system is 1 hr in VR and 1 day otherwise.
snowRaven
Hmmm...a super-fast wired-to-the-teeth hacker who runs AR almost exclusively...could be interesting...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012