Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A RL chemical for...number 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kyuhan
....First off I'm no chem major, so does anybody know of a chemical that can cause fast loss of bowel control? A person in my group wanted to mix "A chemical that makes people $h!+ because laxatives probably wouldn't work" with DMSO, so he could have an..."Ares Hershey Squirter". GM said he could only do it if he found the name of a real chemical that would work, and as I'm the only one with immediate net access I got elected to ask if anyone knew of such a chemical that would mix with DMSO. sarcastic.gif
Dog
IIRC the active ingredient in a lot of laxatives is phenolthaline (spelling?). Yes that's the same stuff you used in high school to turn acids purple. In other words, you can get it in bulk.

No guarantees that the above information is accurate. I'm reaching way back into my memory here. But you might want to look it up.
Cray74
Judging by the effects of lunch (Thai extra hot ginger beef), I'd say Thai cooking spices are plenty. But they probably don't work well with DMSO.

An internet search for "instant laxative" was...illuminating...but most results seemed to be either anecdotal ("Visine in any drink is an instant laxative,") impractical for injection (magnesium citrate and epsom salt drinks would probably be poisonous with DMSO, but is great for scaring off babysitters), or a discussion of various intestinal intolerances (e.g., lactose intolerance, the sensitivity of some people to wheat or caffeine, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)

My inclination would be to say one of the following things...

1) 21st Century doctors have slap patch laxatives (easier on the stomach than traditional laxatives)
2) 21st Century police already have a similar product in their arsenal - nothing would shut down a raging crowd like instant load in the shorts.

...and just let the PC have the drug.

I'd also grant some people resistance based on recent diet and/or bathroom habits. Someone who is constipated is just going to take time to move their munitions into firing position, while if you're empty...you're empty.

Resistance checks to be made with Willpower, not Body. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Cray74)
1) 21st Century doctors have slap patch laxatives (easier on the stomach than traditional laxatives)
2) 21st Century police already have a similar product in their arsenal - nothing would shut down a raging crowd like instant load in the shorts.

OMG ROTFLMAO

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Aku
or some concentrated concution of intestinal viruses should work as well.

however, the problem with ANYTHING like this, is getting it into the blood stream, i dont think, would suffice, this is something that would have to be digested, and there for, any instant affects would be unlikely...
Nikoli
The closest to an injectable would be a strong [near if not lethal] dose of muscle relaxants.
nezumi
I actually did do some research on this. If memory serves, laxatives fall into two categories (or both):

1) Stool softeners. These cause your chairs and stools... No wait, sorry, wrong stools... It causes a chemical reaction or something so you don't absorb so much water in the large intestine/the stool is broken up/whatever. It generally takes quite a few hours to work, but is fairly gentle. This isn't what you want, unless you're trying to distract tortoises, but it'll probably be pretty easy to slip into coffee or something.

2) Stuff to make muscle contractions (don't know what the scientific name is). These cause the muscles to actively contract, forcing the stool through quicker. This is violent and reasonably fast moving. The problem is, it's generally a suppository. I would *ASSUME* if it were applied through DMSO, it would have the same effect on whatever muscles it came into contact with, although having it oral isn't unthinkable.

Nikoli
Anyone else seens the episode Parasite Lost from Futurama?
blakkie
Yes, and i've never looked at egg salad sandwiches or vending machine sandwiches the same since. frown.gif
SL James
I always wanted a bowel disruptor...
Arab_One
Rather than "Instant Laxative" search for "Drastic Purgative". There are quite a number of things listed for their purgative effect. I remember someone bringing up this idea before on these forums, and someone mentioned a compound that when ingested pretty much causes an instant purge of the bowels. Apparently they recommend a person be sitting on the toilet when they take it.
It led to the idea of the Crap Patch for the "executive on the go".
hahnsoo
Phenolphthalein is no longer being used due to questionable carcinogenicity. If you look at drug store shelves nowadays, you'll see that the active ingredients are being replaced with senna. Both Phenolphthalein and senna are "stimulant/irritant" laxatives, meaning that they have to have direct contact with the bowel wall to achieve their laxative effect.

I can't think of a blood-borne compound that specifically targets the small/large intestine. I suppose that by 2050, some chemical company will have developed an IV laxative, probably based on a site-specific stimulator/relaxant (either would work). The main problem is the time of onset to get the desired effect for a typical shadowrun... there is a reason that the majority of the compounds listed in SR are nerve-related (Neurostun, Narcoject, Seven-7, Green Ring, etc.). A bowel-specific nerve agent might work.

Just to summarize, there are no current IV laxatives that I can think of. To create the effect that the player desires, it would probably have to be a nerve agent that is site-specific for bowel function. It's plausible, but not with any current laxative products (which are all oral or suppository).
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (blakkie)
Yes, and i've never looked at egg salad sandwiches or vending machine sandwiches the same since. frown.gif

Shit, there really are vending machine sandwiches?
blakkie
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Oct 6 2005, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 6 2005, 01:09 PM)

Shit, there really are vending machine sandwiches?

Oh yes, even ones with egg salad sandwiches dead.gif ....which i have never had the nerve to eat. Especially now.

When i was in post-secondary school a number of years back i would occationally eat a coldcut based hoggie from a machine but only because i knew the guy that looked after the machines and i knew when they went in.....and i would cook them good and hard in the microwave before consuming (provides some extra protection).
Fresno Bob
I know theres those snack machines with the carousels, and they occasionally have those triangular packages of sandwiches, but...are there really the kind in truckstop bathrooms like in that episode?
hyzmarca
Yes. There are sandwitch vending machines in thousands of restrooms worldwide because the smell just makes people hungry.

Yes, that was sarcasm. The food vending machine from Parasite Lost was modeled after a condom vending machine. There are plenty of those in truck stop restrooms for obvious reasons.
Fresno Bob
Yeah, I know that. I was just wondering if there were sandwich vending machines that looked like condom vending machines.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Yeah, I know that. I was just wondering if there were sandwich vending machines that looked like condom vending machines.

Probably not.
hyzmarca
I don't believe so. Sandwitches are pretty much exclusive to carousel style vending machines.
Fresno Bob
Right on. You can never be too sure.
Aku
Ya think something like this might be do-able with simsense feed? Provide the brain with an over abundance of stimuli "You gotta, gotta gotta go right now!"..

And if you're talking SR4... you think spam mail is bad now? how'd that be for a pepto ad....
ef31415
You know, DMSO + capsicum pepper extract could do all kinds of fun. That gnarly curry burn all over your body ...

But what your friend really wants is a subsonic projector. No really, the right _very low_ frequencies should do the trick.
DocMortand
QUOTE (ef31415)
But what your friend really wants is a subsonic projector. No really, the right _very low_ frequencies should do the trick.

Actually I believe that is in existence now.

Good luck on finding rules for it tho. *sigh*
SirKodiak
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (ef31415 @ Oct 6 2005, 11:14 PM)
But what your friend really wants is a subsonic projector.  No really, the right _very low_ frequencies should do the trick.

The low frequency thing is an urban legend. There's no credible evidence that it works, and considerable evidence that it does not.
fistandantilus4.0
I do know that there is a chemical that can make people pee. My wife used to work in the ICU as a 'health unit coordinator'. Basically a glorified (but well paid) go-fer. There was this chemical that she would have to get occasionally to get a patients system cleared out. Has them peeing in minutes. She's used it in runs before. I allowed it in a slap patch. I'll see if she can remember the name of it.
DocMortand
Yep, and back in the group's hideout you can use the rest to call some unlucky soul "yellow".

*sigh* I've been watching wayyyy too much Firefly, methinks.
Nikoli
Heretic, no such thing as too much Firefly, or more importantly no such thing as too much Jewel Saite or Summer Glau.
blakkie
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 6 2005, 10:01 PM)
Ya think something like this might be do-able with simsense feed? Provide the brain with an over abundance of stimuli "You gotta, gotta gotta go right now!"..

And if you're talking SR4... you think spam mail is bad now? how'd that be for a pepto ad....

Frankly VR, without intentional designed precautions, should cause the user to drop a load due to loss of sphincter muscle control. Exactly how it is avoided with Astral Projection must be a matter of...the poop fairies holding it in? wobble.gif

Note: In SR4 VR isn't nessasarily complete muscle override. Infact there are rules given for modifying the sim module to turn off the protection that quiets you body's muscles (the rules give a warning, but it is left up to the GM what befalls the foolish PC that does it), and also rules for forcing your preception from the VR to the meat world why you are under (basically a huge perception penalty). So with that it is obvious that they are choosing some muscles to override and some to not.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (SirKodiak)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Oct 6 2005, 11:21 PM)
But what your friend really wants is a subsonic projector.  No really, the right _very low_ frequencies should do the trick.

The low frequency thing is an urban legend. There's no credible evidence that it works, and considerable evidence that it does not.

Mythbusters tried extensively, and failed to duplicate it.
Aku
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
QUOTE (SirKodiak @ Oct 6 2005, 09:59 PM)

i donno, i kinda beleive it, under the right conditions, i know being around enough bass on a filling bladder can do soem strange things to me...
mfb
we're not here to talk about your bass fetish, mister!
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
Frankly VR, without intentional designed precautions, should cause the user to drop a load due to loss of sphincter muscle control. Exactly how it is avoided with Astral Projection must be a matter of...the poop fairies holding it in? wobble.gif

Umm, most people don't drop a load while they are sleeping, right? Or while they are unconscious or even in comas. You have to be dead, or have losses in specific areas to lose sphincter tone (i.e. compression of the nerve, loss of perfusion, etc.). All that simsense modules do is slap on an RAS override, which simply makes the body "locked in". It's similar to the so-called "Locked-in syndrome", which is what happens when a stroke takes out the Reticular Activating System in the brainstem.

Anyway, there are a TON of chemicals that are used to make people pee. Just look up any of the IV diuretics out there. Lasix is a common one used in hospitals.
Aku
We're talkin about ejecting fluids from the OTHER side Hahnsoo....
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 7 2005, 03:43 PM)

I've already weighed in on that on the previous page. My diuretic comments were in response to fisty's comments here:
I do know that there is a chemical that can make people pee. My wife used to work in the ICU as a 'health unit coordinator'. Basically a glorified (but well paid) go-fer. There was this chemical that she would have to get occasionally to get a patients system cleared out. Has them peeing in minutes. She's used it in runs before. I allowed it in a slap patch. I'll see if she can remember the name of it.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Aku)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Oct 7 2005, 11:33 AM)

i donno, i kinda beleive it, under the right conditions, i know being around enough bass on a filling bladder can do soem strange things to me...

Mythbusters was actually my primary reference for that statment, Bearclaw smile.gif . I like them for that sort of thing because you can actually see what they try and decide if it was reasonable.

Anyways, there's no question that low frequency sound at sufficient volume can make you feel weird, and discomfort with a full bladder wouldn't be surprising, but that's a far cry from the immediate bowel evacuation that low frequency sound is sometimes claimed to have.
DrJest
QUOTE (SirKodiak)
QUOTE (Aku)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Oct 7 2005, 11:33 AM)

Mythbusters was actually my primary reference for that statment, Bearclaw smile.gif . I like them for that sort of thing because you can actually see what they try and decide if it was reasonable.

Anyways, there's no question that low frequency sound at sufficient volume can make you feel weird, and discomfort with a full bladder wouldn't be surprising, but that's a far cry from the immediate bowel evacuation that low frequency sound is sometimes claimed to have.

iirc it was investigated by the French police during the late 80's or early 90's and given up as a failure. Early field tests were reported to have some nasty side effects. Unfortunately I can't find any information on the net to support this belief; it's just something I remember reading about in a newspaper. Sorry.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 7 2005, 03:43 PM)

I've already weighed in on that on the previous page. My diuretic comments were in response to fisty's comments here:

Thanks hahnsoo. Apprently you're good at finding stuff besides page references too!
Lenice Hawk
My husband works for a PD (eeek! The Star!), and they actually had a miscreant (aka drunk college kid) shait himself last night. Based on the reactions of the officer, the jailers, and his cell mates, making someone shait themselves would lead to bad karma.

There'd be alot more people interested in fraggin the guy who made them do that. At least the excessively macho types who couldn't take the embarressment. And the Star wouldn't be to happy either, having to be around all those stinky people.

The point of this is, having a brown squirter, or whatever it was called, would be a pretty identifying calling card, with no other purpose than to anger your victims/law enforcement. Sounds more college boy prankish than shadowrunner-ish
Slump
I can think of a very good use for the "Brown Squirts" chemical.

Consider this: A cancerand is a constructed protien pill that can remain inert within a human body for up to 1 year, and can be 'programmed' to dissolve in any specific time period you want, with a fair degree of accuracy (I don't think it was specified in the book, so I'd say 2d6 minutes after the designated time). It can contain a chemical that will be insulated from the host until such time as the cancerand disintigrates.

So..

"I've injected you with a cancerand that, when it dissolves, will make you crap your pants rather violently. I've observed your schedule, so I know you have meetings with your bosses at the same times every day. Sometime within the next 3 weeks, you're going to have a very, very bad day, unless you do this for me, in which case, I'll tell you what day to call in sick. Don't take to long deciding, because it could go off tomorrow..."
Cray74
QUOTE (Arab_One)
Rather than "Instant Laxative" search for "Drastic Purgative". There are quite a number of things listed for their purgative effect.

Wow, apparently. Remind me never to eat unripe pineapple.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Slump)
I can think of a very good use for the "Brown Squirts" chemical.

Consider this: A cancerand is a constructed protien pill that can remain inert within a human body for up to 1 year, and can be 'programmed' to dissolve in any specific time period you want, with a fair degree of accuracy (I don't think it was specified in the book, so I'd say 2d6 minutes after the designated time). It can contain a chemical that will be insulated from the host until such time as the cancerand disintigrates.

So..

"I've injected you with a cancerand that, when it dissolves, will make you crap your pants rather violently. I've observed your schedule, so I know you have meetings with your bosses at the same times every day. Sometime within the next 3 weeks, you're going to have a very, very bad day, unless you do this for me, in which case, I'll tell you what day to call in sick. Don't take to long deciding, because it could go off tomorrow..."

Well, if you're going to go that route, you wouldn't need Carcerands, as it is cheaper and easier to simply put detergent (or an irritant/stimulant of choice) into a small ampule injecting into the gut to get the same results.
Foreigner
How about some form of common liquid laxative (EX-LAX, HALEY'S M-O, or the 2060s equivalent) mixed with DMSO?

Spray it using an Ares Supersquirt (or a modified Splash grenade), and there he (or she) goes--literally.

EDIT #1: On a similar note, Ipecac or Emetrol would have a similar effect, but in the other direction--the victim would likely be too incapacitated by severe vomiting (if he/she had eaten recently) or violent stomach cramps (if he/she had NOT eaten).

EDIT #2: Point taken, hahnsoo. I hadn't considered that.

In an issue of the 1970's-early 1980's action book series THE DEATH MERCHANT, the protagonist, "Richard Jordan Camellion," using what was essentially a primitive form of Splash grenade as a hopefully-not-TOO-loud antipersonnel weapon.

I think they were American M-26A1 antipersonnel grenades, from which most of the explosive charge had been removed (the normal charge was, IIRC, 5.5 ounces of Composition C (an early form of Plastique)), and replaced by a glass sphere containing a mixture of DMSO and prussic acid (the liquid form of potassium cyanide).

There wasn't much of a "Kaboom!", but anyone within the--now somewhat reduced, due to the smaller explosive charge--blast radius was coated in the poison mixture, and died shortly thereafter.

At least, that's what the book implied. nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
Lenice Hawk
I agree that there may be a use for the chemical, but not for the mixing with DMSO. At least not for serious runners. It costs extra cred for no tangible reward. And it makes your jobs so identifiable. Now I admit go gangs might find it fun.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Foreigner)
How about some form of common liquid laxative (EX-LAX, HALEY'S M-O, or the 2060s equivalent) mixed with DMSO?

That doesn't work, as I stated in my previous post. DMSO only works with injection vectored drugs, things that work when in the blood-stream. All laxatives are ingestion vectors or suppositories.
Slump
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Slump)
-snip-
"I've injected you with a cancerand that, when it dissolves, will make you crap your pants rather violently.  I've observed your schedule, so I know you have meetings with your bosses at the same times every day.  Sometime within the next 3 weeks, you're going to have a very, very bad day, unless you do this for me, in which case, I'll tell you what day to call in sick.  Don't take to long deciding, because it could go off tomorrow..."

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Well, if you're going to go that route, you wouldn't need Carcerands, as it is cheaper and easier to simply put detergent (or an irritant/stimulant of choice) into a small ampule injecting into the gut to get the same results.

That wouldn't be the same results at all. So I've injected a small ampule of stuff into his gut that will make him crap. So he's going to take a major crap sometime within the next 12 hours, or he's going to pass it harmlessly within the next 12 hours. That doesn't help me if I want to threaten him with major crappage during a meeting with his boss three weeks from now, so he needs to do something for me now (that may take up to a week to execute) so that I will tell him when to take a sick day.

The timescales are completely different, for different results.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (ef31415)
You know, DMSO + capsicum pepper extract could do all kinds of fun. That gnarly curry burn all over your body ...

Why would you need DMSO? Just load the concentrated liquid pepper compund into splash grenades. Unless they're wearing chemical seals, the surface splash should be plenty effective.

Use slip spray as the liquid medium for extra fun!

Just make absolutely sur to wear heavy rubber gloves when preparing the charges. And a sealed facemask.

QUOTE (Aku)

You gotta cook em before you eat em.... freshwater fish carry all sorts of nasty stuff

(self inflicted pun damage taken).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Slump)
That wouldn't be the same results at all. So I've injected a small ampule of stuff into his gut that will make him crap. So he's going to take a major crap sometime within the next 12 hours, or he's going to pass it harmlessly within the next 12 hours. That doesn't help me if I want to threaten him with major crappage during a meeting with his boss three weeks from now, so he needs to do something for me now (that may take up to a week to execute) so that I will tell him when to take a sick day.

The timescales are completely different, for different results.

Carcerands would not work in the way you described, because there are no blood-borne diarrhea agents available (and carcerands circulate in the blood). An ampule with a radio-transponder that leads into the gut is easy to implant, and you can directly control when the ampule gets released, giving you better results in a faster length of time.
Tiralee
Had to board the pun-train...

So, if you actually managed to find a "Super-sphincter-squirt" chemical compound, that DID work via blood absorbtion, could you also convert it into an aerosol/gas?

If so, I claim naming rights. "Brown Ring 7"

I can see it now..
Corp-researcher: "And here we're completing the final trials on some new compounds that should prove useful in the corporate-security field."
Manager: "Oh, and they are?"
Corp Researcher (Looking a little off balance): "Uhh...ahhh...well, it's based on the Green Ring series of incapacitator gasses."
Manager: "Really, so, what's it do?"
Corp Researcher: "If you'll look to your left..."
<<Horrible, horrible noises>
Manager (Looking pale): "Good god! That's inhuman!
Corp Researcher: "Good thing we tested it on animals then."
Manager: "It's dripping off of the ceiling"
Corp-Researcher: "That happens a lot about here - you _did_ query our cleaning and sanitation expense reports..?"
Manager: "But...ehewwwwwwww...."
Corp-Researcher: "Precisely! We're calling it the Brown Ring series..."

-Tir.
setankhtep
I was watching a show on the discovery channel about less than lethal crowd control devices and the military is researching using ultra low frequency sound waves to cause rioters to loose control of bodily functions. They had a prototype that made people crap, puke and pass out all at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012