Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ares Predator IV
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Akimbo
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6960/pr...edatoriv9xe.jpg

I know it's a heavy pistol, but I don't see any reason for the weapon to be quite as big as that.

How could a runner possibly get away with saying that's for personal protection?
blakkie
Trolls are big and tough. *shrug*
Jaid
well, in 2070 you have to worry about things like packs of ghouls, devil/demon rats, vampires, and such. i expect that would help.

[edit] and that's just if you live in the city! [/edit]
Akimbo
A troll modified Predator IV would be a heck of a lot larger even. Can you imagine a human trying to run around with that hand cannon?

The sights on that thing are giant fins. It's impossible to determine where the trigger guard ends and the barrel begins.

The entire frame is HUGE. Anyone know how one could hide that on their person?

To quote Pulp Fiction "Did you see the size of that gun? It was bigger than him."

Also, aren't ghouls considered citizens in Seattle?
Foreigner
QUOTE (Akimbo @ Oct 14 2005, 10:46 AM)
How could a runner possibly get away with saying that's for personal protection?

Akimbo:

I'm not certain. smile.gif

"Handgun hunting", on the other hand, might wash in some less-developed areas with (a) a high population of large paracritters, or (b) in areas with a high crime problem--particularly if it's a problem involving larger Metahuman subspecies (i.e., Trolls. Orks, and the like) in areas where Dwarves and Humans are more common.

Just my 0.02 nuyen.gif.

wink.gif

--Foreigner
blakkie
QUOTE (Akimbo @ Oct 14 2005, 10:01 AM)
A troll modified Predator IV would be a heck of a lot larger even.  Can you imagine a human trying to run around with that hand cannon?

There might be more metal, such as a larger trigger guard to let him get his finger in. But it's still got the same bore firing the same ammo. EDIT: Oh, and what is that dumbass human doing walking around with a weapon that costs him -2 dice to shoot because it is so unwieldy? nyahnyah.gif Yes, i would also adjust the dice for the opposed test to conceal/preceive it accordingly.

Afterall it isn't the "frame" that is doing the damage....unless the damn thing stops firing and you throw it at someone. wink.gif *enter Boris the Blade, sneaky Russian salesman*

P.S. It would be easier to hide a Troll adapted weapon on a Troll. But yes, there is a reason that heavy handguns are a notch above light handguns in that table (a table that includes things like swords and AR, which are even more of bitch to conceal).
Shinobi Killfist
maybe I'm a freak, but it doesn't look that oversized to me. It would be hard to conceal on yourself as all heavy pistols are anyways, but the only really oversized part IMO is the barrel. That extra part beneath it makes it look a bit thick. But hey maybe that's where the smartlink is.
Akimbo
A Colt 1911 is considered a heavy pistol in this day and age. That weapon is not large. If you compare that thing to something like a Deasert Eagle, you will see that the predator is larger in comparison. And Desert Eagles are huge.

Take a look at that Predator picture again and put you hand up to the handle as if you were gripping the image like a gun. You will see what I mean (hopefully)
Jaid
QUOTE (Akimbo @ Oct 14 2005, 11:01 AM)
Also, aren't ghouls considered citizens in Seattle?

don't think so. i would be very surprised if they had a SIN. i suppose it's possible that some might be, but keep in mind there are also ghouls that are basically not much different from animals, and those ghouls kinda have to eat human flesh... so i don't think those ghouls, at the very least, will be citizens. and probably not the vast majority of ghouls in general, most of whom were probably SINless before they became ghouls...

[edit] and maybe i'm missing something... but... i don't see anywhere that indicates the picture is at a 1:1 scale. [/edit]
Akimbo
Anything smaller than the image I posted could not be held in one hand. I have very feminine hands and I have troubles with considering that a good size to grip with my hand. So the gun might even be a little bit bigger.

And as far as ghouls go, it does not say that they are not citizens. Ghouls are merely humans and metahumans infected with the HMHVV. Special Order 162 was passed in Illinois Legislature providing protection to ghouls and enforcing the inability to pass them off as mere monsters. Ghouls are people too, dagnabbit! sarcastic.gif

But boy! Is that gun big!
warrior_allanon
ok i want someone to take into context the scale here of that picture...look at the size of the handgrip vs barrel length and you have something akin to the .45's from the movie "Punisher" you know the ones his old man was showing him just before the drek hit the fan. in fact i would say that those .45's were the same size as this if not slightly longer.

and i'm still wanting my salvette guardians back along with my AS-7

Akimbo
Colt 1911 is .45 ACP as I had mentioned above. Saying that is a small weapon is an understatement.

Edit: Also, the size of the weapons in The Punisher movie were larger for "dramatic effect". What kind of comic hero weilds a hold out pistol?
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid)
[edit] and maybe i'm missing something... but... i don't see anywhere that indicates the picture is at a 1:1 scale. [/edit]

I don't see that either, and that seems to be the assumption Akimbo is making. It's hard to tell if that is true or not as you can't see the barrel bore (and even then you'd have to make assumptions about caliber size).
Rifleman
My reactions to the picture, in proper order:

"Oh, that's no bigger than my magnum..."
"Hmm.... wait a sec, that handle seems a bit on the smallish side...."
"Maybe I just have my resolution running a bit high for the size comparison."
"Save. Open. Zoom. Zoom again. Zoom again."
"There we go, now the handle is about.... OH SWEET JESUS! What did they do, saw down a rifle?!"

Needless to say, yeah, someone needs to start doing some minor reality checking with the artist on these types of details.
Akimbo
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 14 2005, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 14 2005, 10:19 AM)

I don't see that either, and that seems to be the assumption Akimbo is making. It's hard to tell if that is true or not as you can't see the barrel bore (and even then you'd have to make assumptions about caliber size).

It clearly says 10mm caseless on the gun. The caliber is not in question here.... well.... not yet anyway nyahnyah.gif

Edit: And Rifleman, I'm sure your magnum doesn't have that huge chunk of nothing under the barrel. And I can understand the size of a magnum being in .44 and .357.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rifleman)
Needless to say, yeah, someone needs to start doing some minor reality checking with the artist on these types of details.

Well given that even at a particular file resolution, the actual size on screen will vary with screen size and resolution settings, without something to give the picture scale it's kinda pointless.

Maybe the finger grip spacing can be used to figure out a scale?
blakkie
QUOTE (Akimbo)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 14 2005, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 14 2005, 10:19 AM)

It clearly says 10mm caseless on the gun. The caliber is not in question here.... well.... not yet anyway nyahnyah.gif

Ah, good point there. So now we just need to find a picture of someone pointing it towards the viewer and we are set. smile.gif
Rifleman
Basing it on the handle and the trigger guard spacing would be the best, since those maintain a (reasonably) steady size from gun to gun. And a scale would be nice.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
So now we just need to find a picture of someone pointing it towards the viewer and we are set.

And hope it's not one of those... erm... sketchy... pictures with odd proportions.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Akimbo)
A Colt 1911 is considered a heavy pistol in this day and age. That weapon is not large. If you compare that thing to something like a Deasert Eagle, you will see that the predator is larger in comparison. And Desert Eagles are huge.

Take a look at that Predator picture again and put you hand up to the handle as if you were gripping the image like a gun. You will see what I mean (hopefully)

Meh. The image is about what, 11 or 12 inches long? With a standard 6 inch barrel, a Desert Eagle Mark VII or Mark XIX comes in at 10 3/4 inches in overall length. So we're not talking that much of a difference. The mass of the frame mainly comes for the underbarrel electronics of the smartgun system IMO.

The problem, of course, is that a design like this would be a bitch to balance, given the placement of the grip and trigger group.

(Disclaimer - I'm just an amatuer firearms enthusiast though, so I bow to anyone with more knowledge of the subject.)
Akimbo
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And hope it's not one of those... erm... sketchy... pictures with odd proportions.

Actually it's fairly well detailed. The image was vectorized so detail was obviously a major factor here. I remember trying to fire a S&W Model 500 .50 cal... I had to hold the gun with two hands because of the mere size of it. (Even though it would be dumb for me to try that with one hand because of the caliber)
Rifleman
Just so everyone knows, this pictures comes from the pdf version of the SR4 book, page 307. Zoom in, it looks scrunched at full resolution but I'll be amazed if it isn't all there.

However, looking at it scrunched up in to the wording and how it fits neatly within three lines, I think this argument may be for naught. I believe based on my examination of the picture in it's environment it was 'squeezed' during the editing to fit in it's assigned space.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Akimbo)
Actually it's fairly well detailed.  The image was vectorized so detail was obviously a major factor here.

The reference was to a picture using it in a different angle, though... like the one of the gear chapter. wink.gif
blakkie
Where is the vector file version of it? EDIT: Oh, i see. It's vector in the PDF. That doesn't mean a huge amount, it just means it was drawn in electronic format. *shrug*

P.S. It's not like it is anime (edit: linked a smaller, static file) proprotioned "handgun". cyber.gif
Rifleman
The reference was to a picture using it in a different angle, though... like the one of the gear chapter. wink.gif

It is the one in the gear chaper.
Akimbo
QUOTE (Akimbo)
Actually it's fairly well detailed.  The image was vectorized so detail was obviously a major factor here.

That image I posted was from the gear section with the description in the original PDF. Did they change that?

And I think in Hellsing they use 13 mm bullets in those guns...
Rotbart van Dainig
No... the vector version is found in Firearms.

The... other... version is found right at the beginning of Street Gear, p. 299.
Akimbo
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 14 2005, 12:14 PM)
No... the vector version is found in Firearms.

The... other... version is found right at the beginning of Street Gear, p. 299.

You mean the picture of the guy with the cyberarm holding it? That thing still looks huge. Even at the angle, it looks like a shortened rifle.

Edit: He must have bought the cyberarm with strength enhancements to use his Predator IV. That's how Ares gets you. You have to buy the gun, then the ammo, and then a cyberarm to hold it... It's not the gun that gets you, it's the accessories...
Rotbart van Dainig
Foremost, it looks ugly and distorted... dead.gif
blakkie
Foremost, it looks ugly and distorted... dead.gif

It does vary from the image in the Firearms section a fair amount, not the least significant is that it seems to be longer there, but i'd say it is suppose to be an Ares Predator. The picture as a whole isn't drawn in a photorealistic way.
Akimbo
The Predator IV in the drawing with the guy doesn't have all the excess stuff under the barrel and in front of the trigger guard. So the gun doesn't look as bulky in that image... just really long.... which it is

Edit: What is the purpose of all the junk under the barrel anyway? Predator IV doesn't come standard with a smartlink...
blakkie
QUOTE (last sentence in the description)
Includes a smartgun system.
Akimbo
QUOTE (blakkie)

My mistake then on that note. But with the increase in years, don't you think smartgun technology would be better so it does not take up so much space? And what of other guns that have smartgun systems? They're not as large.
blakkie
QUOTE (Akimbo)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 14 2005, 12:35 PM)

My mistake then on that note. But with the increase in years, don't you think smartgun technology would be better so it does not take up so much space? And what of other guns that have smartgun systems? They're not as large.

But smaller wouldn't look as intimidating, now would it? wink.gif
Akimbo
Not exactly my point, but having a female human character who is not the largest of people, I would look like a joke having a gun that's as heavy and large as myself.
PlatonicPimp
And Blakie Hits apon the crux of the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the mass of the Ares Predator was empty casing and lightweight plastic to make the gun look bigger. From Ares' perspective, the advantage would be twofold. One, the gun would look more intimidating. This would mean that people trying to compensate for the size of their penis would flock to it. Second, it makes the gun harder to conceal, which aids law enforcement and security in licating them. Just because Ares wants to sell you a gun doesn't mean they want you to Use it, especiallly for Illegal purposes. (That would give their gun a bad name.) they especially don't want you to sneak paast Their Own security with one.
Akimbo
However, the sheer size of the gun is impractical. It ahs no tactical advantage at all, and most people with common sense would not buy this weapon. Corporations design products aiming for consumers to buy it. Considering the size of the weapon, I would not buy it.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Akimbo)
But with the increase in years, don't you think smartgun technology would be better so it does not take up so much space?

It still has to be the equivalent of a Handheld Sensor Package...
Jaid
what, you mean common sense like "don't sneak into the head offices of one of the Big Ten and kidnap someone?"

hmmm... nope. don't think shadowrunners are all that possessed of "common sense". but that's just how it looks to me. i mean, it's not like shadowrunning will get you killed... except that that's exactly what's likely to happen.

sure, it may not be marketted towards small women... but to a ganger, or someone like that, bigger=better (in their minds, at least).
Akimbo
Rotbart: But those aren't as big as all that slack space that could be removed from that gun. But agreed on that note.

Jaid: Even orks would have a problem with the size of that gun. Not to mention that Ares' name would be shot down if they were known for making weapons for crime *snicker*
Jaid
i would argue that the average humanis fanatic (can you even have an 'average' fanatic? meh. whatever) is not fundamentally that different from a ganger.
Akimbo
And in most cases bigger IS better. The cartridge size of 10mm does not reflect in the weapon size a great deal. At least in the case of the Predator IV, the weapon should not be nearly as large considering the ammo type.
RunnerPaul
Do what Robocop does. Conceal it in your cyberleg.
(After all, the art for the original Predator was almost a carbon copy of Robocop's gun.)
Azralon
Hrm, I'll have to go look up the rules again for resizing equipment. I wonder if I can get my Pred4 in "petite" sizes.

Or, hey, how about a supersized iBall.
FrankTrollman
Actions creating equal and opposite reactions the way hey do, larger guns are easier to fire than smaller ones. You can make a zip-gun that is essentially just a heavy pistol round and a detonator - but actually firing it will take your hand off.

When a bullet is propelled forward out of a gun, every part of the gun is propelled backwards with equal force. And then each part of the gun hits the hand of the person pulling the trigger. So if the entire gun is only as massive as the bullet, then firing the weapon it is just like getting hit with the weapon at point blank range. Conversely, a very massive gun is going to be accelerated only slightly, and simply move the wielder's hand backwards.

Integral systems that transfer that backwards momentm into other forms of energy (such as internal motion like the recocking mechanism of an automatic) can make firing a weapon even less obtrusive - and these take up space and mass.

---

So in all likelihood, the Predator IV is a ladies weapon. With all the mass and gewgaws on it, it probably has virtually imperceptible recoil. Pulling the trigger on that bad boy is a verifiable dream compared to pulling the trigger on a Walther Palm. So small framed people would flock to that weapon, while the very strong and tough would be more tempted by the smaller weapons. A bit counterintuitive perhaps, but that's physics for you.

-Frank
++ [ tfxr ]3.0 ++
++ [ well i am the artist who did this illo so i'll jump into the fray // the gun was based off the other predator pistols from the Shadowrun line // the original predator pictured in the second BBB and the Predator 2 from the Street Samurai book // the originl predator is a straight up copy of the pistol used in Robocop and i used that as a base, putting in the Desert Eagle .50 for good measure // now the gun itself is rather lightweight and (unseen in the illo ) rather thin, no wider than a 1911 so i went long to show that all that wonderful tech being crammed in as well as using the length to compensate a bit for the recoil // as for who would buy it, the gun is marketed towards Mercs, security personnel and law enforcement as a visible holstered sidearm ( you want something smaller go Colt Manhunter or one of the other "light pistols" wink.gif ) and I think the gun is just a bit longer than the Guardian pic from the Fields of Fire book // c'mon people, this is the Predator..its supposed to be the ideal pistol for the runner/gunner with something to compensate for who knows that size matters (and don't want to carry the Super Warhawk..which is longer than the Pred 4 by the way ) // all in all, i'm a Shadowrun fan and in all the novels and sourcebooks that i've read i've never seen a Predator used as a concealable weapon // it is there to scare the hell out of people and to give the pistol whippin' to end all pistol whippins' ] ++

++ [ if you want to see some of the other illo's i did get the pdf...or check out my temp site http://br0uhaha.deviantart.com (those Deviantart comments still smart a bit from the sr4 cover topic | ouch | ) ] ++

++ [ also, to those who have the pdf of sr4, find the pic with the goggles that i did and zoom in to about 1600 to read the stuff on the second pair down // that is if your copy kept the illos as vector drawings ] ++
++ [ tfxr ]3.0 ++
++ [ oh, and in the brief that i got to do the picture the Predator IV came with a Smartlink system....] ++
Nikoli
just a note, the ++[ ]++ stuff is really distracting and unlikeable imo.
Kremlin KOA
++[how so?]++ just kidding

also on the goggles thing... Easter eggs in sourcebook PDFs now? will the dead tree version have it?
Fortune
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
Easter eggs in sourcebook PDFs now? will the dead tree version have it?

Doubtless the same illustration is included in the print version, but it's a little tougher to increase the resolution. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012