Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shooting someone in hand to hand combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shinobi Killfist
There may be games I'm forgetting, but SR seems to be the only game that makes it easier to shoot someone who is in a hand to hand fight. Most games give a penalty to the shooter since he doesn't want to shoot his friend by accident. In SR hey the defender is distracted and gets a -3 die penalty to his opposed test to avoid being shot. Not sure what I think of this yet, but its different than I'm used to.
Xenith
Edit: Misread the post sorry. smile.gif

Theres the whole if you glitch you hit the other person part. But yes, there probably should be a penalty to hit as well. Maybe apply a -2 penalty to the shooter, makes glitches slightly more common too.
Nikoli
Partial cover maybe?
PlatonicPimp
Oddly enough, it's even more fun if the shooter and the target are in melee together, as both receive a -3 penalty to their rolls. Sorta evens out there, except that since you defend against shots with only your reaction, so the shooter probably has twice the dice anyway. and if your reaction is only three, you'll need a Long shot test to dodge! but if you glitch to shoot them, do you hit yourself?

I like the partial cover option if you are shooting into a melee. it leads to more likely glitches, meaning more likely to hit the other person. Incidently, is that on a glitch or a critical glitch?
Nikoli
I'd say glitch wings the other guy if they are on your side, no real damage done. If both are enemies you miss barely, maybe imbed the round into something the target is wearing, again, no real damage.

Critical glitch and friend in the melee, you wound him as normal.
Critical glitch with both as enemies, you miss and torque both off and they come for you, too bad the gun is jammed.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Oct 18 2005, 12:16 AM)
Oddly enough, it's even more fun if the shooter and the target are in melee together, as both receive a -3 penalty to their rolls.

Considering the text of that modifier, it is for attacks coming from a distance. wink.gif
PlatonicPimp
Yeha, well, that's one of those things I plan to use lgic on, since the rules don't provide any for me. You gatta admit, you could easily interprete the rules to create the stange situation I mentioned.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Oct 18 2005, 12:16 AM)
Oddly enough, it's even more fun if the shooter and the target are in melee together, as both receive a -3 penalty to their rolls.

Considering the text of that modifier, it is for attacks coming from a distance. wink.gif

0.25 meters is a distance. biggrin.gif
Orient
So is -.25 meters, AND you get an intimidation bonus. And a smelly gun, depending on...
Clyde
I suppose it's hard to use cover properly while you're in a fist fight.

Clearly, we need to release many devils rats and sic them on the guards we intend to shoot smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Clyde)
Clearly, we need to release many devils rats and sic them on the guards we intend to shoot smile.gif

D&D 3rd edition's Bag-of-Rats exploit meets Shadowrun?
Jaid
no. to equal the bag of rats, it would have to be a bag of *exploding* rats. so, first feed the rats some explosives (preferably a type that can detonate from sudden impacts, such as bullets). then you can do a proper bag of rats trick wink.gif
Orient
Clearly, the rats would need to be stuffed with explosives and a wireless proximity detonator. Your gun would be filled with AOD transmitters. Of course, it'd be a good idea to make sure the transmission range is pretty small, and that you don't activate them until *after* the rats are near the target...

Did you folks know that you could perform a Cleave maneuver with a monowhip back in 1st Edition? Bag O Rats would have worked well, back then.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Orient)
So is -.25 meters, AND you get an intimidation bonus. And a smelly gun, depending on...

Actually, it isn't. Distances can't be negative. If your enemy is a point (0,0,0) and your gun is at point (0,0,1) on a scale of 1cm then the distance is one centimeter.

If your gun is at (0,0,-1) then the distance is still one centimeter. However, it would be one centimeter from the inside of his skin rather than one centimeter from the outside.
Toptomcat
He means inside the opponent.
Orient
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Orient @ Oct 25 2005, 07:36 PM)
So is -.25 meters, AND you get an intimidation bonus.  And a smelly gun, depending on...

Actually, it isn't. Distances can't be negative. If your enemy is a point (0,0,0) and your gun is at point (0,0,1) on a scale of 1cm then the distance is one centimeter.

If your gun is at (0,0,-1) then the distance is still one centimeter. However, it would be one centimeter from the inside of his skin rather than one centimeter from the outside.

I must have meant a scalar multiple of a vector, then. Oops.
Jaid
QUOTE (Orient)
Clearly, the rats would need to be stuffed with explosives and a wireless proximity detonator. Your gun would be filled with AOD transmitters. Of course, it'd be a good idea to make sure the transmission range is pretty small, and that you don't activate them until *after* the rats are near the target...

Did you folks know that you could perform a Cleave maneuver with a monowhip back in 1st Edition? Bag O Rats would have worked well, back then.

no, the thing that made bag o' rats so cheesy was not cleave, it was whirlwind + great cleave, whereby you get 1 attack at full bonus against each rat, and then each rat you kill or drop into negatives gives you 1 great cleave into the poor sucker who's standing next to you and your bag of rats... so even with that, you still couldn't bag o' rats someone like in D&D...
PlatonicPimp
Actually, it was just great cleave plus combat reflexes. When the rats moved out of your square, running away like a rat dropped out of a bag would, you get an attack of oppourtunity on it, which you then cleave off of to hit the opponent.
Jaid
that would net you only as many attacks as you have dex mod... WWA would let you make as many attacks as there are rats (well... barring the inevitable dreaded natural 1, that is)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012