Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: remington roomsweeper
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shinobi Killfist
remington roomsweeper, 4 editions now and still no picture. The one gun i want a picture of and nope we have a picture of every other pistol but no roomsweeper for you. Curses!!!!
Veggiesama
Random google image search:

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/shadowrun/weapon...roomsweeper.gif
TheOneRonin
It would certainly have to be magazine-fed to even somewhat be considered a "shotgun-pistol" and still have an 8-round capacity. When loaded with standard 2.75" shells, an 8-round shotgun tube will have to be at least 22" long, and all of that length is IN FRONT of the trigger.

I always pictured it as being something more like this, (second pic from the top)

...or this. (second to last pic)

Of course, if you go with that design, you'd have to drastically the ammo capacity to be even remotely realistic.
Lord Ben
I saw a drum-fed pistol grip shotgun at a gunshow Saturday. That held a dozen or so and the mag wasn't that big. I wouldn't say it was pistol sized though.

8 .410 shells stacked wouldn't be unreasonable for a pistol.
TheOneRonin
What you saw was probably a Striker, or a rip-off of one.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH09-E.HTM

Yeah...more SMG sized than pistol sized.

A .410 shell has about a half-ounce of shot (~200 grains) which leaves the barrel at roughly 1200 fps, or much slower if fired from a small barrel.

Considering the prevalence of body armor in SR, I'd much rather take my chances with something in 10mm Auto (200gr. @ 1200FPS, FMJ) or in .400 CORBON (200gr. @ 1250FPS, FMJ).

You get more ammo in a smaller frame, and likely a more comfortable grip.

Fortune
The Elmore cover for SR1/SR2 is supposed to be a picture of Sally Tsung, Dodger and Ghost-Who's-Name-Is-Too-Damn-Long. When not wielding her 'Mage Sword', Sally uses a Roomsweeper pretty much exclusively, (Dodger uses a Sandler TMP, and G-W-N-I-T-D-L uses Uzis) so you could use that as a guide. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
I always pictured it as being something more like this, (second pic from the top)

That's very close.

The introductory fiction in the First Edition, "Night on the Town" featured a mage by the name of Sally Tsung, who was armed with a Roomsweeper. The Larry Elmore cover art that was used for First Edition and recycled for Second Edition, is a scene straight out of "Night on the Town".

In other words, the shotgun the hot, half-naked woman is holding is the Remington Roomsweeper, at least in the opinion of one artist (and presumably the art director who approved the art to be used on the cover of the most important book in the game line, not once, but twice).

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 19 2005, 03:47 PM)
and G-W-N-I-T-D-L uses Uzis

Actually, they're Ingram Mk.22s. Nearly identical to the Uzi-III in the old editions, except they don't come with integral laser sight.

Oh, and props for beating me to the post. I knew I shouldn't have taken time to get a link from Elmore's site.
Fortune
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 20 2005, 06:51 AM)
Actually, they're Ingram Mk.22s.

That's right! Shoulda known that, given my sig! embarrassed.gif

Oh, and props for beating me to the post. I knew I shouldn't have taken time to get a link from Elmore's site.

I'd have got the post up over an hour before, but my net access kicked off for a while. wink.gif
evil1i
The only problem with that is that the 2 "pistol" styled shotguns shown are both pump action, 3-4 round shorties! not the semiautomatic 8 round shortie that the remmington roomsweeper is supposed to be!

I did some photoshop work on the High Standard HS-10 Shotgun to try and see if it looks plausible as a more pistol styled weapon.

http://www.iinet.net.au/~saxom/hs10b-r.jpg

and

http://www.iinet.net.au/~saxom/hs10a-d.jpg

it at least has 4-5 round believable capacity (and if you combine some of it's design with the Neostead shotgun which has 2 side by side magazines which would allow the 8 round capacity suggested.

I like the MAG-7 as an alternative although it only has 5 rounds (but is a clip so could be extended) and it is also a pump gun!
Thorncrow
For an ok image of the Roomsweeper check out the old Sega Genesis Shadowrun game, yeah it's dated and 16-bit but it gets the point across.
Lord Ben
No, it wasn't the striker. It was a regular pump shotgun only instead of the shells being in a tube they were in a revolving cylinder. Looked like a PITA to load.
Ed_209a
In my games, This is the Remington Roomsweeper.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ed_209a)

Not bad, exept for the fact that it only holds two rounds in its magazine and one in the chamber, and the Roomsweeper sports an 8 round magazine.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 20 2005, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Oct 20 2005, 09:45 AM)

Not bad, exept for the fact that it only holds two rounds in its magazine and one in the chamber, and the Roomsweeper sports an 8 round magazine.

That is becuase the designers of SR live in a fantasy world where you can store 8 objects the size of your thumb inside a weapon you can still call a pistol

My Roomsweeper does have a 2+1 capacity.

3 rounds is enough to "sweep" one room. Otherwise, it would be named "ROOMSsweeper" smile.gif
TonkaTuff
As was suggested earlier, it's likely the roomsweeper just uses .410 shells - which are (more or less) 2.5-3" long, 10mm bullets. If the Predator can load 15 10mm shorties in the handgrip, putting 8 of them in a box magazine, similar in configuration to the one on the Mossburg CMDT, should be do-able w/o adding much more bulk to the weapon. This would go a long way towards explaining why the current incarnation has a similar damage profile to the Ares Predator when loading slugs or shot (fletchers), as opposed to normal shotgun-level damage like the earlier versions did. And taking that into consideration, spread is about all this thing has going for it.
Squinky
The desription of the roomsweeper says that it loads shot rounds....and uses heavy pistol ranges....could this be because it loads heavy pistol ammo? I think so.

As for the 15 rounds in a heavy pistol thingy, I owned a glock .40 cal (which is close to 10mm in a way) and It had 16 rounds in it with one in the chamber( Government/Law enforcement clips)...

Since caseless ammo is the norm in SR4, you'd think you could fit even more in...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Veggiesama)
Random google image search:

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/shadowrun/weapon...roomsweeper.gif

hmm, i have a feel that the pic is from the sega megadrive game smile.gif
Beowurk
Evade realism by saying the Roomsweeper uses unique purpose-built shot rounds, like the Ares Viper Slivergun does for its flechette-without-bullet ammo. For slug rounds, just chamber heavy pistol ammo, like Squinky suggested.

Not likely to appease firearms enthusiasts, but works for fobbing-off. grinbig.gif
blakkie
I thought the idea behind the Roomsweeper was that you could load nearly anything for the shot? Nails, glass, gravel, your Mom's spoon collection. Sort of a modern black-sheep incarnation of a muzzleloader. As such it would certainly have custom rounds, ones with the primer and propellant but no slug.
Beowurk
No, that was the Streetsweeper. It was a full size shotgun that was basically a pipe with a firing mechanism attached. You loaded black powder cubes in, crammed whatever you could find into the muzzle and BOOMSK.

It was cheap and easily buildable, but not very good due to reload times.

Roomsweeper is a pistol shotgun (not the kind of shotgun that shoots pistols, mind nyahnyah.gif ).
blakkie
Ah, ok. embarrassed.gif
hobgoblin
spoon collection? what plastic and silver included?
hell, just shoot and ill pay the medic with whatever he picks out of my body nyahnyah.gif
Beowurk
Oooh, or you could build a modified Streetsweeper into a cyberarm and load it with old-style coin-currency!

GiTS:SAC anyone?
Feshy
The desription of the roomsweeper says that it loads shot rounds....and uses heavy pistol ranges....could this be because it loads heavy pistol ammo? I think so.

Exactly. If you want a real shot pistol, you'll have to hit the old Shadowrun Magazines (It's been so many years, I've forgotten the name). There was an excellent weapon in there -- the Ares Dragoon. Two barrels, three shots per barrel, essentially a sawn-off shotgun designed to be used as a pistol.

One of my old characters used to carry that strapped to his hip. About as concealable as a submachine gun, unlike the sneaky roomsweeper. But no ganger wants to argue with the business end of THAT! Did shotgun damage, with less power. 'Course, that character was also a pacifist, and had it loaded with those shotgun-only gel rounds. Came in handy when it got stolen by a fellow runner who tried to use it to set off a home-made gasoline bomb -- rubber bullets, no sparks*. It was such a weird situation we laughed for quite a while over that one.

* Most bullets won't spark anyway -- lead melts and deforms long before it sparks, movie effects to the contrary. Copper too, for copper-jacketed rounds. perhaps steel-jacketed, or DU shells, are different, but I haven't been out shooting tin cans with DU, so I can't really say. But for game effects, well, hard to deny a good spark-fest, even if real life physics disagrees.
Squinky
The Sprawl Ganger on page 100ish is listed with a roomsweeper...and it looks like a heavy pistol. Thats if the pic is supposed to represent his gear...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Squinky)
The Sprawl Ganger on page 100ish is listed with a roomsweeper...and it looks like a heavy pistol. Thats if the pic is supposed to represent his gear...

Looks an awful lot like an Ares Predator IV to me. But that's just my take on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012