Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I need a pack creature
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aku
Ok, so ideally, what i would like is some sort of bipedal, semi intelligent group critter, that would for packs or some sort of colony, and preferabbly not of a vampire or other infected creature, that would be in the Salish Sidhe nations.... Finally, i'm trying to avoid anything that's going to make me say, "dnd" as soon as i see it. Nothing too difficult right?

some ideas i had were the Asonwu... and thats all i'm seeing with a real quick scan.
Ophis
I'd suggest Loop Garou but they are infected dammit.

Very big monkeys? Agropelters?

Wait a second bipedal semi intelligent...

The Bush Family
hyzmarca
Why bipedal? Bipedal creatures are generally limited in their carrying capacity. A horse, or a centar would be much metter for speed so long as you don't climb any mountains. A Juggernaut would be best for pure capacity.
If humanoid is a requirement, you might consider letting the group hire a Sasquach. However, with a STR of 7 a Sasquatch won't have the carrying capacity of a Troll PC.

The Wild Minotaur has 11 STR but is a nocturnal hunter.
Aku
Because these group creatures are going to be (one of) the prime obstacles to the runner. I sent them off to salish sidhe to do a...semi willing... extraction of a football player whowanted to come to seattle, who has gotten impatient, and may have taken off on his own through the mountains, and so i wanted to have some sort of semi intelligent community critter that would've captured him as a yummy meal.
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Aku @ Oct 22 2005, 03:03 AM)
Ok, so ideally, what i would like is some sort of bipedal, semi intelligent group critter, that would for packs or some sort of colony, and preferabbly not of a vampire or other infected creature, that would be in the Salish Sidhe nations.... Finally, i'm trying to avoid anything that's going to make me say, "dnd" as soon as i see it. Nothing too difficult right?

some ideas i had were the Asonwu... and thats all i'm seeing with a real quick scan.

Are bug spirits suitable to your taste? They are (as Flesh Forms, that is devil.gif) bipedal, they aren't (technically) infected and most of them form "colonies" (i.e. nests) and "herds" (i.e. hives). They are definitely a group critter.
Siege
Or a slight spin - while tracking the football star, they stumble across an outdoors group that have set up shop in the middle of nowhere for a nature retreat.

A cult, anyone? That plan on sacrificing the now captive football player at the new moon before feeding on the remnants of his corpse.

Naturally, the cult is quite cheerful and very willing to help the players as a place to stay, offer any advice as several members are quite adept trackers...

-Siege
Dog
Tauntauns! T-Rex! biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Aku)
Because these group creatures are going to be (one of) the prime obstacles to the runner. I sent them off to salish sidhe to do a...semi willing... extraction of a football player whowanted to come to seattle, who has gotten impatient, and may have taken off on his own through the mountains, and so i wanted to have some sort of semi intelligent community critter that would've captured him as a yummy meal.

A pack creature. I thought you meant a pack critter as in one that carries packs.

With no need to worry about Strength it would be rather easy to just pick one out of the Cirtters PDF.
Corywn
I still say you should use a Wolf Shapeshifter leading a pack of Wolves...
But, I am mostly prepared for situations like that, and it doesn't sound like it fits completely with what you had in mind, anyway.
Siege
Any wiz worth the cred is going to summon a spirit to track.

-Siege
Aku
QUOTE (Hysmarca)
it would be rather easy to just pick one out of the Cirtters PDF.

Yea, i've flipped through it, but i see alot of things that are a bit reginal specific, or arent specified as a pack creature, most of them seem like they're atleast solitary, especially the bipedal ones.
FrankTrollman
Troglodytes.

-Frank
Slump
Feral (meta)humans would work as well, especially Orks. A group of Back-to-Nature nuts, been out in the field for a looong time. First other (meta)humans they've seen in years. And paranoid.
Aku
hmm, actually, i think i MAY'VE found something i like... I was thinking either the Embracer, however it listen them as solitary hunters, or gargoyles, which it doesnt give any sort of living style information for.

However, looking at the entries, i realized i had NO idea how to determine what sort of skills a critter would have. combat skills, nothing listed, all i see under critter combat is that that have a normal combt pool.... what about something like stealth skills, or anything else for that matter.

does everything have tod efault to the attribute for critters? that seems especially harsh to me...
hyzmarca
Critters use Reaction as Unarmed Combat without a defaulting penalty.
Aku
ok, what about stealth, or things that critters would be naturally good at?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Aku)
ok, what about stealth, or things that critters would be naturally good at?

Also use reaction without penality, I believe.

Critters don't have skills but they are able to use reaction in place of physical skills to represent the fact that they operate on instinct. Of course, they still take defaulting penalities for technical skills, weapon skills, and the like (assuming that they are physically able to use these skills at all). An Embracer should be able to fire a gun but certainly wouldn't be any good at it. (One probably wouldn't recognize a firearm, really.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012