Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 Weapons / Body Armor Ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Scorpion
This is my first Attempt at bringing these ideas i had the last days to text, so try to bear with me if it looks a little chaotic smile.gif

Since SR4 came out i liked the idea of attaching a AP value to SR3 weapons. I also wanted Body Armor to be able to effecctively stop more Bullets from penetrating while introducing the concpt of blunt trauma.
Here is what i've got so far:

Body Armor is divided into Soft (Vests, Jackets,..., assume current stats for now, i'd like to keep the scaling the way it is) and Hard (carring Plates) Armor.
Assumptions:
Soft Body Armor will likely stop Handgun bullets and some of the weaker Rifle cartridges (hey, its the future ) from penetrating into the body but will cause a considerable blunt trauma, from higher powered rounds (Stun & Physical).
Hard Body Armor has a much higher chance of stopping higher powered rifle round and causes less blunt-trauma.

Weapons/Calibers get a Damage Code (standard SR3) and an Armor Piercing (AP – like SR4) Value.

Example Calibers

Handgun Calibers:
Caliber | AP | Damage Code | JHP Mods
9x19mm Para | -1 | 4M | 0/6M
.45 ACP | -1 | 5M | 0/7M
.40 S&W | -2 | 6M | 0/8M
10x35mm (Fictional - Ares Predator) | -2 | 7M | 0/9M
.44 Magnum | -2 | 7M | 0/9M
.50AE | -2 | 6S | 0/8S
5.7x28mm | -5 | 3M | -1/5M

Rifle Calibers
5.56x45mm | -6 | 5M |
7.62x39 Soviet | -4 | 6M |
7.62x51mm NATO | -5 | 6S |
7.62x54mm Russian | -5 | 6S |
.50 BMG | -10? | 10T |

Different Weapon designs and Barrel Lenghts can modify AP and Damage by a small ammount. For example 10" Heavy Pistols might get -1 AP / +1PN JHP, Rifle sats are for Carbine size Weapons.

Body Armor
Soft Armor – if
Ballisic Armor + AP <= 0 then the Armor is penetrated -> Full Damage Code + Successes must be soaked.
BA + AP >= BA/2 Armor is not Penetrated, Blunt trauma causes Stun Damage (Damage Code – remaining Body Armor, up to two Successes can raise the Damage Level).
BA + AP < BA/2 Armor is not Penetrated, Blunt trauma causes Physical Damage (Damage Code – remaining Body Armor, up to two Successes can raise the Damage Level)

Hard Armor – if
Ballisic Armor + AP <= 0 then the Armor is penetrated -> Full Damage Code + Successes must be soaked.
BA + AP > BA/2 Armor is not Penetrated, Blunt trauma causes Stun Damage (Base Damage Code – remaining Body Armor) (1/2 PN??)

Ammunition

Ex – JHP values, DL + 1, every Two hits reduce Armor by 1
ExEx – Armor Piercing Explosive rounds – FMJ stats, DL + 1, If round doesn't penetrate, reduce armor like Ex, 1/3 chance of penetrating unarmored targets before explosion (1D6 per round, on 1-2 the bullet only causes FMJ damage)
Gel - JHP stats, PN-2, stun damage
Steel Core - FMJ stats, AP -2

A Few Example Weapons:

Ares Predator (12" Barrel)
Model Caliber Ammo Conceal Mode AP Damage JHP
AP10 | 10x35mm | 15 | 4 | SA | -3 | 7M | 0/10M
AP50 | .50AE | 11 | 4 | SA | -3 | 6S | 0/8S

Colt Manhunter (6" Barrel)
| .40 S&W | 16 | 5 | SA | -2 | 6M | 0/8M

FN 5-7C (6" Barrel)
| 5.7x28mm | 20 | 5 | SA/BF | -5 | 3M | -1/5M

let's hear your opinions.
Austere Emancipator
Heh. Glad to see it's catching on now. wink.gif

I assume you're going to rewrite the stats of body armor, too? In any case, I think you should make use of positive Armor Piercing modifiers too, if only so that you don't end up with most forms of armor having very high ratings.

Are you perhaps considering the use of hit locations? Otherwise it's a bit difficult to argue the blunt trauma bit. Although the designers of SR4 apparently had no trouble with that...
Scorpion
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Heh. Glad to see it's catching on now. wink.gif

I assume you're going to rewrite the stats of body armor, too? In any case, I think you should make use of positive Armor Piercing modifiers too, if only so that you don't end up with most forms of armor having very high ratings.

Are you perhaps considering the use of hit locations? Otherwise it's a bit difficult to argue the blunt trauma bit. Although the designers of SR4 apparently had no trouble with that...

Nice thread, interesting read, thanks for the link.

I'd like to keep to keep Body Armor stats as close to what they are right now as possible..
i would presume a 4 Ball Vest to be comparable to todays class III-A and to be pretty much the standard on the streets. There will be an advanced Ball 5 Vest and maybe a rare Ball 6 Vest available. The Armored Jacket will stay at 5 covering the Arms as well, while the vest /w plates wold have a Hard 6 and reduce Combat Pool by 1 (this also includes the maximum CP Dice you can use to augment a single roll). Rifle Plates come in Flavors of +2 Plaststeel Plate, +3 Ceramic Plate and +4 Hight-Tech Plate and can be added to most Torso armor (causing a Combat Pool penalty).

There will also be changes in the way called shots work:
Headshot TN +5
Arm/Leg TN +3
Bypass Armor TN + 1/2 Targets Ball. Armor.
any number of successes can be used to reduce targets effective armor for this shot.

All of this doesn't really make sense without the use of hit locations, but i was going to assume that "normal" hits were torso hits an do the rest over called shots. will have to sort that out with my group smile.gif.

I don't really have a problem with Body Armor stopping a lot of the small arms bullets and many people having a pretty safe Torso due to Plates. There are always ways to bypass that (Called Shot, Steel Core Bullets, APDS,...).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Scorpion)
i would presume a 4 Ball Vest to be comparable to todays class III and to be pretty much the standard on the streets.

I assume you mean III-A? III is rigid armor and can defeat multiple hits of 7.62x51mm M80 FMJ.

If a normal hit is assumed to be one in the torso, and Ballistic 4 is about equal to III-A, then some tweaking is required with the ammo stats -- .44 Magnum JHPs should probably not do as much damage through a vest that's supposed to stop them with 1.73" or less backface deformation than a .45 ACP FMJ does against an unarmored target. Unless you don't mind fudging this stuff in order to evade the hit location problem.
Scorpion
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 24 2005, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Scorpion)
i would presume a 4 Ball Vest to be comparable to todays class III and to be pretty much the standard on the streets.

I assume you mean III-A? III is rigid armor and can defeat multiple hits of 7.62x51mm M80 FMJ.

you're right, i meant III-A.
now how to fix that problem you mentioned??

Handgun Calibers:
Caliber | AP | Damage Code | JHP Mods
9x19mm Para | 0 | 4M | +1/6M
.45 ACP | 0 | 4M | +1/7M
.40 S&W | -1 | 5M | +1/7M
10x35mm (Fictional - Ares Predator) | -1 | 6M | +1/8M
.44 Magnum | -1 | 6M | +1/8M
.50AE | -1 | 5S | +1/7S
5.7x28mm | -5 | 3M | -1/5M

what do you think of this??
the .45 ACP FMJ against unarmored causes 4M Phys. +succ.
the .44 Magnum FMJ against armor 4 causese 3M Stun
the .44 Magnum JHP against armor 4 causese 3M Stun
Austere Emancipator
I find it rather odd that you've made .40 S&W both more lethal against unarmored opponents and far better at penetrating body armor on both tables than either 9x19mm or .45 ACP. Based on the NIJ rating, and looking at the ballistic tables, with normal loadings .40 S&W should be insignificantly better at penetrating body armor than 9x19mm, and it would be quite hard to argue that it tends to cause larger or deeper wound cavities than .45 ACP.

About .44 Magnum vs. .50 AE, you should be careful about scaling up from Moderate to Serious and lowering Power. At 6M vs. 5S, someone capable of rolling more than 12 dice in the Damage Resistance test is likely to take less damage from the .50 AE, which is obviously not realistic. Generally, it's a good idea to keep Power at 6 or above when scaling in that manner, so that this problem is kept minimal.

Also concerning the .44 vs. .50, with the current numbers the .44 Magnum would penetrate armor better, which is rather counter-intuitive. The .50 AE doesn't necessarily penetrate armor all that much better than the .44 Magnum, but it certainly doesn't penetrate worse.

If you truly intend to make a complete system out of these, I would suggest first making a draft version with all the calibers and armor available based on how you feel about each individual item, and then double back and cross-check each item with each other one by one to see whether it makes sense that one penetrates better than the other or that they happen to do the same amount of damage to unarmored humans, etc. It's the only real way to can ensure the numbers are reasonable and internally consistant.

BTW, I kinda doubt the Ares Predator would have a 12" barrel. That thing would be fucking huge. Even the Desert Eagle is available at most with a 10" barrel.

And in case you haven't already, have a read through Raygun's Shadowrun and Firearms.
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 24 2005, 06:22 PM)
BTW, I kinda doubt the Ares Predator would have a 12" barrel. That thing would be fucking huge. Even the Desert Eagle is available at most with a 10" barrel.

This thread has a link to a fairly detailed vector line drawing of the Predator 4 that appears in the SR4 BBB. Towards the end of the thread the artist even drops by and explains what he was trying to do.

P.S. Wasn't there another barrel option for the Desert Eagle that was even longer? I mean flat out stupid for a "handgun" long? I seem to remember something about it, but no way i could quote numbers.
Austere Emancipator
Yup, I even replied in that thread. Assuming the average human male is capable of wielding that gun, the barrel doesn't look more than 8" long, tops, assuming the action doesn't take much room (it being caseless and all).

And yeah, Magnum Research did at some point make 14" barrels for the Mark VII Desert Eagle, at least in .44 Magnum. Not anymore though. And yeah, it looks flat out stupid.
Arethusa
The 14" barrel isn't really any more flat out stupid than that 10". Neither is practical for anything short of long range target shooting or pistol hunting, and both look like crap. It's what they're for.
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 24 2005, 07:37 PM)
And yeah, Magnum Research did at some point make 14" barrels for the Mark VII Desert Eagle, at least in .44 Magnum. Not anymore though. And yeah, it looks flat out stupid.

"This goes through armor . . . and it goes through the victim, through the wall, through a tree outside...." I like how the front sight is set back a good 3cm from the muzzle because, you know, you get it out there too far and it's hard to see. rotfl.gif

Sorry, i scanned the thread first but i somehow missed your post in there.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Neither is practical for anything short of long range target shooting or pistol hunting, and both look like crap.

Without some sort of rest, I'd assume most people will actually shoot more accurately with the 6" version. The flat out stupid bit is if you have to carry around a tripod rest for your handgun for it to be used accurately.
Arethusa
If you're not shooting a lot (eg hunting), you really could just rest the barrel on your hand. Not ideal, but it's not really going to hurt anything. I agree it's a very dumb weapon, but it really never was intended for combat, so it is sort of forgivable.
Scorpion
I find it rather odd that you've made .40 S&W both more lethal against unarmored opponents and far better at penetrating body armor on both tables than either 9x19mm or .45 ACP. Based on the NIJ rating, and looking at the ballistic tables, with normal loadings .40 S&W should be insignificantly better at penetrating body armor than 9x19mm, and it would be quite hard to argue that it tends to cause larger or deeper wound cavities than .45 ACP.

Frst of all, thanks again for the good advice smile.gif.
Could you post some links to some good ballistics tables?? (I came up with most of these values by looking at Rayguns site and trying to adjust his values to my system, so some real ballistic data might prove to be very useful wink.gif )

Right now i am thinking of giving the .40 S&W an AP of -1 and the damage of a .45 ACP, does that sound reasonable?

About .44 Magnum vs. .50 AE, you should be careful about scaling up from Moderate to Serious and lowering Power. At 6M vs. 5S, someone capable of rolling more than 12 dice in the Damage Resistance test is likely to take less damage from the .50 AE, which is obviously not realistic. Generally, it's a good idea to keep Power at 6 or above when scaling in that manner, so that this problem is kept minimal.

Also concerning the .44 vs. .50, with the current numbers the .44 Magnum would penetrate armor better, which is rather counter-intuitive. The .50 AE doesn't necessarily penetrate armor all that much better than the .44 Magnum, but it certainly doesn't penetrate worse.

Not exactly, the way it is right now, .44 and .50 would both penetrate the same (Ball 1 Armor - your Kevlar T-Shirt ...), while .50 is likely to leave a bigger bruise.
But i will probably keep the both at PN 6.

If you truly intend to make a complete system out of these, I would suggest first making a draft version with all the calibers and armor available based on how you feel about each individual item, and then double back and cross-check each item with each other one by one to see whether it makes sense that one penetrates better than the other or that they happen to do the same amount of damage to unarmored humans, etc. It's the only real way to can ensure the numbers are reasonable and internally consistant.

That was actually what i was trying to do, start out with a limited number of calibers, to get an idea of how the values will look like and get the system working for a number of base calibers. Then it should be relatively easy to add more calibers and weapons.

I'm basing the Predator on a Soft-Air Pred i've got lying around here (though it was most likely based on Robocop's gun) and that thing is fucking huge at 36cm (14") length.

And in case you haven't already, have a read through Raygun's Shadowrun and Firearms.

Actually that's where i got the idea of starting this project wink.gif.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Scorpion)
Could you post some links to some good ballistics tables?

I distinctly remember a site which had dozens of different loads for nearly all potential defense handgun calibers tested in water-filled milk jugs, and which included velocity, penetration through water, notes on deformation, etc, but I can't remember where I found it. Damn it.

You take a stroll to the nearest book store and see if they've got some Guns & Ammos or other magazines with ballistic tables. Even better would be tracking down a book which basically consists of nothing but that stuff, though that might prove quite difficult.

In general, though, you can find a lot of stuff by simply Googling '"[caliber name]" "muzzle velocity" grains' -- though you have to be careful about what kinds of websites you trust.

QUOTE (Scorpion)
Right now i am thinking of giving the .40 S&W an AP of -1 and the damage of a .45 ACP, does that sound reasonable?

I'd say give it the exact modified penetration as a 9x19mm. Depending on the scaling, .45 ACP should perhaps penetrate just a tad worse than either.

QUOTE (Scorpion)
Not exactly, the way it is right now, .44 and .50 would both penetrate the same (Ball 1 Armor - your Kevlar T-Shirt ...), while .50 is likely to leave a bigger bruise.

Okay, looking back at your first post I totally misunderstood how you're planning to do armor. So, in fact, in your system, the only thing that affects whether a projectile actually penetrates the armor is the Armor Penetration rating and not its Power at all. That'll lead to some weird scenarios.

QUOTE (Scorpion)
I'm basing the Predator on a Soft-Air Pred i've got lying around here (though it was most likely based on Robocop's gun) and that thing is fucking huge at 36cm (14") length.

That's the length of the gun, not the length of the barrel. Since the Beretta M93R (which the Robocop gun is made out of) is 240mm long with a 156mm barrel, at 360mm the Robocop gun would have a 276mm/10.87" barrel. Still ridiculously long, but at least slightly less so. Remember that if you're shooting for realism, having guns looking like the Robocop gun doesn't help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012