Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic flechettes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phelan_patrick
I don't have my books right now but I know Cannon companioin mentions something about plastic ammo which are undetectable by MAD systems. My question is can you get flechette versions of those? I'm thinking of designing a heavy pistol that uses flechette ammo and is undetectable by MAD including ammunition.
mmu1
If you can make plastic bullets that actually work in standard calibers, I see no particular reason why you wouldn't be able to make flechettes.

Especially since SR flechettes can just be buckshot. And if you decide they're tiny fin-stabilized darts, there's no reason they can't be something other than metal.
Kagetenshi
Strictly speaking the buckshot just uses the flechette rules, they're not quite silly enough to claim that they are flechettes. That said, it seems to make sense.

~J
Gutshank
In 2nd edition wasn't that what the Ares Slivergun used? For some reason I keep thinking the ammo was a special block of plastic that the weapon shredded and spewed out.
Raygun
There is obviously no God.

Arethusa, make it stop.
eidolon
QUOTE (Raygun)

It took you this long? grinbig.gif
Oracle
QUOTE (Gutshank @ Oct 26 2005, 07:11 AM)
In 2nd edition wasn't that what the Ares Slivergun used? For some reason I keep thinking the ammo was a special block of plastic that the weapon shredded and spewed out.

The weapon you are talking about is a needler. It is not a weapon from Shadowrun, but from Battletech.
Phelan_patrick
deleted my post
Raygun
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Oct 26 2005, 01:14 AM)

Well, yes. Your mama is very persuasive. spin.gif
Arethusa
I just do not know where to start. I think I am going to start with whimpering.
Raygun
Do you see what you people have done? There's no fight left in him!

What a world.
TheNarrator
As far as SR rules go, the Cannon Companion has one kind of "plastic" ammo that's undetectable to MAD sensors, the Hi-C ammo composed of densiplast. (Edit: Wouldn't ceramic have been a better choice, or is that too easily fragmented?) To my knowledge it is not available in flechette form. The book says that it requires an extra-large propellant charge to reach lethal power, resulting in double recoil modifiers.

The issue of the viability of plastic flechettes in real life, I'll leave to those better informed than myself. I'm guessing no.

On an only-vaguely-related note, is there any truth to the rumor I once heard of Germans using wooden bullets for target practice when lead was in tight supply? It sounded kinda fishy to me. Wouldn't there be a problem with wooden projectiles splintering under the force? I beseech the firearm oracles for their wisdom. smile.gif
Gutshank
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (Gutshank @ Oct 26 2005, 07:11 AM)

The weapon you are talking about is a needler. It is not a weapon from Shadowrun, but from Battletech.

That's right. It's been about a decade for me and it seems I'm having problems keeping my FASA straight.

That explains why for some reason I keep thinking our team was riding towards the arcology in a warhammer....
Gutshank
QUOTE (TheNarrator)

On an only-vaguely-related note, is there any truth to the rumor I once heard of Germans using wooden bullets for target practice when lead was in tight supply? It sounded kinda fishy to me. Wouldn't there be a problem with wooden projectiles splintering under the force? I beseech the firearm oracles for their wisdom. smile.gif

I think it was just wooden cores used as opposed to aluminum for target shoots.

Actual wooden rounds were similiar to blanks, used for training or to help with the weapon feed if I recall.
RunnerPaul
The real question is, of course, can I get my plastic flechettes dikoted?
nezumi
It seems to me, as a super-gun expert, that for MAD proof flechette, wood or glass is probably the way to go.

(Dodges bullets)
(See? If they were using wood or glass bullets, their attack would have been a lot more successful! (from my point of view))
toturi
Why not? By the rules of SR3 gun creation in CC, it can, so go on ahead.

Never mistake SR for RL, people. If you do, well... you saw what happened to Arethusa and Raygun.
Straight Razor
there are plenty of super high-density plastics out there to day that one could make flechette rounds with. you could even use high quality glass. only problem with glass is that it would be hart on a metal barrel, so you'd have to use a plastic one.
Slump
Or just do what they do in real life -- jacket the round with a softer material and let the harder core do the talking.
eidolon
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 26 2005, 06:18 AM)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Oct 26 2005, 01:14 AM)

Well, yes. Your mama is very persuasive. spin.gif

Dude, I just laughed my ass off. *picks ass back up*

Thanks. I needed that after my day. biggrin.gif
Raygun
wink.gif wink.gif *nudge nudge* Say no more. biggrin.gif
Phelan_patrick
Ok so i guess most would say its possible to get MAD proofed flechettes(plastic or whatnot). So what stats/rules would you guys suggest inorder to build/purchase such ammo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012