Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR vocab is mainstream?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fix-it
I was just watching family guy, and heard brian use the word "Drek"

... anyone else got any places Shadowrun dialect and vocab has been used?
SL James
Yeah, because the Shadowrun creators just managed to make up that word all by themselves.

And he says "dreck," not drek (at least, that's how it's spelled on the DVD). The word's been around a lot longer than SR.
Musashi Forever
Dictionary.com definition of "Dreck"

Enjoy everyone. Until I see sit-coms chucking around chummer or frag I won't consider it mainstreamed.

"Null persp." is a favorite expression of mine, but just as SL James said, the creators of the game did not come up with this stuff. It's mostly part of the cyberpunk genre that influenced them.
Toptomcat
I've seen friends use Shadowrun lingo for the purpose it was originally designed for- in other words, as a bowlderization to keep from getting in trouble for using its more-obscene counterpart.
Sicarius
I've never liked shadowrun profanity. It's nothing but childish euphemism. I mean, I can understand that you don't want to put a whole lot of profanity so as to lose readership, I would never in a million years see my players say "fragging drek" while its counterpart is hollered quite frequently.
Toptomcat
Some works, some doesn't- with 'drek' being the most satisfying to say (German curses feel like curses), and 'hoop' making me feel perhaps the most silly.
Critias
My PCs have shot other PCs for using SR slang before. Yes, really.
Jrayjoker
Hmmm, my wife doesn't let me say frag or drek or trog in front of the kids....
Arethusa
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Some works, some doesn't- with 'drek' being the most satisfying to say (German curses feel like curses), and 'hoop' making me feel perhaps the most silly.

I'm with Sicarius. It is complete crap. Firefly slang, on the other hand...

Also, dreck really isn't a German swear. Sheisse, if you're going to swear in German, do it right.
Roadspike
Arethusa brings up a good point--when the Firefly characters curse, it sounds dirty. When a Shadowrun character says "I'll have your hoop for a hat" I just giggle. I don't think I've ever used "official" SR slang in-game, but my characters use modern curse words quite often, one in fact had the (Cursing) specialization of Spanish.
PlatonicPimp
Hence teh reason that the SR4 book does away with the slang. Still, I'll always miss Frag. Frag isn't just a replacement for fuck, it had such a different connotation. For instance, when something goes wrong, you could be both fragged of fucked, but you there is a world fo difference between going home to fuck your joytoy, or going home to FRAG her.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Critias)
My PCs have shot other PCs for using SR slang before. Yes, really.

Ummm, eek.gif
I hope you called the cops.

biggrin.gif

Platonic is right, though. Frag has worked it's way into my vocabulary. He's right about the connotative differences, and I use both Frag and Fuck frequently. Drek for shit? Sometimes, not often. Usually only when I want to cuss in polite company.

Hoop? Hat? Get the fuck outta here, fragger. I'm not saying something that stupid. Slitch? Don't make me laugh, bitch.

0.02 nuyen.gif
Superbum
They use "frag" a lot on Battlestar Gallactica as well (example: Frag this.). There have also been numerous FPS games that use the term Frag.
Arethusa
Uhm, the fuck replacement on BSG is frack, not frag. Which remarkably manages to work most of the time— far more a credit to the cast and directors than the writers.
TheNarrator
The word "frag" as a slang term for killing/destroying something has been around a long time. I remember hearing it in Platoon. I'm guessing it comes from the use of "frag" as an abbreviation of "fragmentation grenade".

On the subject of replacement words for "fuck" used on television, here's a few that come to mind off the top of my head:

Battlestar Galactica: "Frack."
Farscape: "Frell." (This show had a complete set of alien swear words, in addition to whatever English swear words were allowed on basic cable.)
Firefly: "Rut." As in, "No ruttin' way."
blakkie
I work in the oilpatch. Using "frag" would....be odd, and bring social complications with it.
PlatonicPimp
Slitch always struck me as an even worse word that bitch, given the root of the term. ( A reference to female genitalia)
Arethusa
Frag does come fragmentation grenade, and during the Vietnam war, was often a specific reference to using one to kill your commanding officer and yourself with one. Alternatively, it's just blowing someone up, and now thanks to games, just killing someone (especially in really bad movies like Basic).

Frell was always ridiculously stupid.

To rut is an actual word. Like much of Firefly's slang, it's derived from 19th century frontier slang. Rutting is fucking.

Slitch is actually the only bit of SR slang I could ever tolerate. Combining slit and bitch has a certain credible vulgarity that the rest of it manifestly lacks.
PlatonicPimp
Which is why I always thought it was funny that it was used in place of the , IHMO, much less vulgar bitch.
Apathy
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Frag does come fragmentation grenade, and during the Vietnam war, was often a specific reference to using one to kill your commanding officer and yourself with one.

I don't remember it having any connotations of letting yourself get taken down too - just of killing the CO.

Was in the US Army for a few years, and can say that it is still commonly used there.
MYST1C
As most of the SR games I've been involved in took place in the AGS I never bothered with the English slang (and most people I know consider it pretty odd how Americans try at all cost to avoid common expressions in books or TV everybody uses in normal talk).

But I have noticed during the last years that SR players can sometimes be identified by using "Hoi" as a greeting.
SL James
QUOTE (Apathy)
Was in the US Army for a few years, and can say that it is still commonly used there.

Well, that's reassuring.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Apathy @ Oct 28 2005, 01:39 PM)

Well, that's reassuring.

It's sort of a crude, in-the-field implementation of 360 performance reviews. wink.gif
SL James
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 28 2005, 08:35 AM)
My PCs have shot other PCs for using SR slang before.  Yes, really.

Ummm, eek.gif
I hope you called the cops.

Yeah, they had a good laugh over it.

Critias is more tolerant than I am. When gaming, I don't talk to players whose PCs use that nonsensical baby-talk. Ever. I'm sure as hell not going to waste a bullet on their PC.
SMDVogrin
QUOTE (TheNarrator)
The word "frag" as a slang term for killing/destroying something has been around a long time. I remember hearing it in Platoon. I'm guessing it comes from the use of "frag" as an abbreviation of "fragmentation grenade".

On the subject of replacement words for "fuck" used on television, here's a few that come to mind off the top of my head:

Farscape: "Frell." (This show had a complete set of alien swear words, in addition to whatever English swear words were allowed on basic cable.)

Actually, I believe that "Frag" is coming more from the video game community, mostly. In First-person Shooters, a "frag" is a kill, because you blow someone into tiny chunks.

When used to describing killing someone, without the connotation of friendly fire that Vietnam gave it, it's probably based on the FPS term.
SL James
Yeah, except that frag was used in SR before there was any FPS mass market.
blakkie
QUOTE (SMDVogrin)
Actually, I believe that "Frag" is coming more from the video game community, mostly. In First-person Shooters, a "frag" is a kill, because you blow someone into tiny chunks.

As a source for it's use in SR? I doubt it, remember that SR was originally published in 1989. Well before fragging type video games. Wolfenstein 3D, the first popular game of what you'd think of as FPS (Battlezone was sort of that, but much different) wouldn't be released for another 3 years. PvP battling coming some time after that.
Sharaloth
As a GM, I use the silly SR profanity rarely, but I do use it. my players NEVER use it. Really depends on the NPC I'm trying to portray, though. General street trash and one-shot redshirts usually get the whole 'chummer' treatment, while continuing characters tend to talk like real people. A lot of four letter words interspersed with various profanities culled from Latin, German, Japanese and French (depending on the background of the NPC doing the swearing), we've faked some Sperethiel swear words when necessary, though generally it's put into description ('my character swears in sperethiel for a full minute')

That being said, I also find 'slitch' to be a lot more vulgar than 'bitch', and tend to avoid it unless dramatically appropriate.
maa01
QUOTE (TheNarrator @ Oct 28 2005, 12:27 PM)

I also remember some freak. No freaking way! smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (SMDVogrin)
When used to describing killing someone, without the connotation of friendly fire that Vietnam gave it, it's probably based on the FPS term.

The other thing being that without the Vietnam connotation, there really is no basis for it at all.
Kyuhan
I use slitch, quite often because it just seems to sting so much more. I've even got my non SR friends using it. One time this girl egged my buddies car and I said "You fucking slitch!" and she replied "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!", it's funny how much more offended people get at slitch than at bitch. Though around here Slitch is usually assumed a contraction for "slutty bitch".

As for Hoi, I've been saying that long before I ever heard of Shadowrun. Though I use it habitually preceeding or just following some drek hitting the fan, instead of as a greeting.
Lenice Hawk
I use frag and drek pretty frequently. Omae is one I might pick up. As for saving your "hoop" well, it's not natural for me,but in 50 to 60 years, who knows. Gosh, Darn, Dagnamit all used to be swear words (to my knowledge at least). Bloody is fine in America and a curse word in Britian. I'm not sure where, but in some country, sack is the equivalent of fuck. And in another, the ok sign we make is about the same as flipping someone off in America.
So, don't count these words out. They sound corny and out of place to us, but down the road, our curses might sound like Shakespear's "I bite my thumb at the".
(I work with middle school kids. If they are any indication, slang will be much worse than the SR stuff we find so silly)
RunnerPaul
I think the closest most Shadowrun vocabulary will come to being mainstream would be back when Mystery Science Theater 3000 was doing that gawd-awful film "Puma Man". There was this Aztec guy in it, and at one point he hands someone a business card, and Mike & the bots quip that he's "a representative of Aztechnology."
SL James
Gosh, darn and dagnabit are and were childish euphemisms.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 28 2005, 08:17 AM)
Firefly slang

Maybe I'm just deranged, but I'm of quite the opposite opinion. While a lot of Shadowrun slang is silly, I can stand it. Listening to dialogue from Firefly (what little I've seen of it, I'll grant) makes me want to stab Whedon in the face, though.

Remember, curses gone out of use as such are usually stupid, not clever. At least he had the brain cells to rub together to avoid "golly".

~J
Lenice Hawk
From Wikipedia:

Minced oaths are corrupted forms of (usually religion-related) swear words that originally arose in English culture sometime before the Victorian Age, as part of the cultural impact of Puritanism after the Protestant Reformation.

Here are some examples. I bolded ones I have heard used commonly.
Since they avoid using profanities or holy words, the minced oaths are not equivalent in strength (likelihood to cause offence) as their derivations listed below. However, some of the more modern minced oaths should be avoided in polite speech (e.g. mofo).

* Bejabbers = By Jesus
    * Bleeding heck = Bloody Hell
    * Blimey = Blind me
    * Blinking heck = Bloody Hell
    * Bloody = By Our Lady (speculative, may refer to rowdy young royalty, i.e. "royal blood.")
    * Blue Falcon = Buddy Fucker (military slang for betrayal among friends)
  * By George = By God
    * By golly = By God's body
    * By gosh = By God
    * By gum = By God
    * By Jove = By God (Jove is another name for Jupiter, the most powerful Roman deity)

* Chrissakes = For Christ's sake (sometimes corrupted to "for Christ sakes")

* Crikey = Christ
    * Cripes = Christ
    * Crivvens = Christ defend us
  * Crud = Crap = Shit
    * Dad gum = God damn
    * Dagnammit = Damnation, God damn it
    * Dagnabbit = Damnation, God damn it

* Dang = Damn

* Darn = Damn
    * Darnation = Damnation
    * Doggone = God damn or Dog on it
    * Drat = God rot it

* Feck = Fuck (the two words are apparently not actually etymologically related: feck is an old Irish expression)
    * Figs = Fuck
    * Fink = Fuck
    * Flaming heck = Fucking Hell
    * Flipping heck = Fucking Hell
    * For crying out loud = For Christ's sake; also, a way of hinting at 'fuck' or sanitising it after speaking ("Fuck... rying out loud")
  * Freaking = Fucking or Frigging
    * Fricken = Fucking or Frigging

* Fudge = Fuck
    * Fudging = Fucking
    * Gat Dangit = God damn it
    * G.D. (pronounced "jee dee") = God damn
    * Gee = Jesus or Jerusalem
    * Gee whizz = Jesus
    * Gee willikers = Jesus or Jerusalem

* Good grief = Good God Oh Charlie Brown, you use such foul language!
    * Goodness gracious = Good God
    * Gosh = God
    * Gosh darned = God damned
    * Heck = Hell (A popular minced oath in Utah is "Oh my heck!", but the equivalent expression, "Oh my hell!", does not seem to exist anywhere.)

* Holy spit = Holy shit (frequently used in comic books in the 1970s)

* Jebus = Jesus (Homer Simpson used this word in an episode of The Simpsons)
    * Jeepers Creepers = Jesus Christ
    * Jeez = Jesus
    * Jiminy Cricket = Jesus Christ

* Jumping Jehoshaphat = a milder form of Jumping Jesus

* Shoot = Shit
    * Shucks = Shit (originally a word for husks, and used as a term for something worthless)
    * Son of a biscuit = Son of a bitch
    * Son of a gun = Son of a bitch
    * Suffering succotash = Suffering Saviour (was made famous by Sylvester the cat, a cartoon character who regularly uttered the phrase)

* Tarnation = Damnation
    * Yumping Yiminy = variation of Jumping Jesus
    * Criminy = Christ
    * Egad = A God
    * Gadzooks = God's hooks (referring to the nails in Jesus on the cross)
    * Sacré bleu (French, literally "sacred blue") = Sang de Dieu ("God's blood")

* Zounds or 'Swounds = God's wounds

Childish Euphinisms they may be, but they didn't start that way. The link has alot of good info on when and how they started.
Foreigner
QUOTE (Lenice Hawk)
By Jove = By God (Jove is another name for Jupiter, the most powerful Roman deity)[/b]

* Son of a biscuit = Son of a bitch

Lenice Hawk:

No disrespect intended, but I *think* that you have your deities confused.

IIRC, "Jupiter"/"Jove" was a GREEK deity--his Roman counterpart was ZEUS.

And, regarding the second quote, I'd always heard it as "son of a biscuit eater"--I believe that it was originally used in the Deep South as a reference to a hunting dog that didn't perform up to expectations when it was being trained or subjected to field testing.

I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you--far from it.

For all I know, it could be a cultural or regional difference. smile.gif

--Foreigner
brohopcp
Probably regional, I've always heard Son of a Biscuit (on the very rare occasions it was used).

Zeus is Greek.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 28 2005, 08:17 AM)
Firefly slang

Maybe I'm just deranged, but I'm of quite the opposite opinion. While a lot of Shadowrun slang is silly, I can stand it. Listening to dialogue from Firefly (what little I've seen of it, I'll grant) makes me want to stab Whedon in the face, though.

Remember, curses gone out of use as such are usually stupid, not clever. At least he had the brain cells to rub together to avoid "golly".

You are deranged. It doesn't always work, but for the most part, where it isn't believable as speculative fiction, it's believable and compelling as a stylized creation. Only bad people dislike Firefly.

QUOTE (Lenice Hawk)
Here are some examples. I bolded ones I have heard used commonly.

Several of those are incorrect, and several are missing (golly is a compaction of god's body, etc). Son of a gun is not a cute and fun equivalent to son of a bitch; it's an equivalent to bastard, as in son of a gun deck's hand and a whore.

But that isn't the point. The point is that no one should mistake Shadowrun for a believable vision of the future. Even if you accept its necessary and many conceits (magic, etc), its views of society are simply laughable, and the slang is part of it. That it also fails to be objectively compelling or believable to the audience is not excusable.

QUOTE (Foreigner)

Jupiter and Jove are Roman in root. Zeus was the Greek name. You've got it backwards.
Lenice Hawk
1st off, my information came from Wikipedia. I have no way to know if they are correct other than I see them used alot. You decide whether you believe them.
I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I edited out the ones that seemed more obscure. I apologize for the confusion.

I recognize SR view is far from realistic...but not all elements of that view are far fetched. I never thought a 13 year old child would use cheddar and booty to mean something bad and not fair. Nor do I understand why krunk can mean both "it was awesome" and "I'm gonna hurt you".
Point is, hoop and other elements of the slang sound silly to us. I just see that because we don't use them. Society can create words and endow whatever meaning to them it wants. So look at the SR slang as what is supposed to represent: the vernacular of another culture drastically different from ours.
Whether you choose to imitate that culture for your games is up to you.
hyzmarca
'Hoop' isn't silly when used in the proper context, when included in a sentence as a subject to the verb 'stretch'. Remember, Hoop isn't just a replacement for "ass" it is a referance to a specific part of that region.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Foreigner)

No, Jupiter is the Roman verson, Zeus is the greek. Any children't book of mythology will tell you that. Hell, Theres a Disney movie that gets it right, which should be amazing enough.
Link
In defence of SR slang, the expression "hoop" wasn't in the original SR1 list of slang IIRC. I'd think it probably came from SR novels, I hadn't really heard the word until I read some books by Findley or such.

Re Firefly, when a character goes off in the Firefly patois it reminds me of when I've heard someone curse in Portuguese. They swear with feeling!
It adds depth to the setting which is what SR slang should aspire to - sort of what I'd imagine Cityspeak could be.
Kyoto Kid
I primarily stick to the present day Brit slang/curses, though an occasional "Frag" does slip in now and then. Where I have real fun is when Leela gets pissed (Brit. usage) and starts cursing in Croatian. Being rather demure in size, only takes one pint o' Scrumpy to do the trick.
blakkie
QUOTE (Link @ Nov 1 2005, 05:39 PM)
In defence of SR slang, the expression "hoop" wasn't in the original SR1 list of slang IIRC. I'd think it probably came from SR novels, I hadn't really heard the word until I read some books by Findley or such.

Ironically that's the one from SR cussing that i actually use: "If i forget to buy my wife a Christmas present i'm soooo hooped."

EDIT: Oh, an from watching Firefly i pick up "humped". smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
Then there's Dr Evil...

"Frickin sharks with frickin laser beams..."
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Frickin DROP BEARS with frickin laser beams...

Corrected
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Nov 2 2005, 04:14 PM)
Frickin DROP BEARS with frickin laser beams...

Corrected

Good one....

grinbig.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Frickin DROP BEARS with frickin laser beams strapped to their frickin flaming cyberskulls

Fleshed out with an idea from another thread.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Toptomcat @ Oct 28 2005, 07:28 AM)

German? prakah! What was the line from the 2nd Matrix film? "I love cursing in French, it is like wiping your ass with silk." beret.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012