Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reaction Enhancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
setankhtep
At the end of the discription for the reaction enhancers it states that the implants are compatible with other init. boosting cyber/bioware. All of the other init. cannot be stacked. Which is it?
FrankTrollman
Neither. Reaction Enhancers work with other things that enhance reaction. Synaptic Boosters do not stack with other things that enhance initiative. Welcome to SR4, where Reaction and Initiative are not the same thing.

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Neither. Reaction Enhancers work with other things that enhance reaction. Synaptic Boosters do not stack with other things that enhance initiative. Welcome to SR4, where Reaction and Initiative are not the same thing.

-Frank

It was always that way. Wired worked that way. In SR3, extra initiative dice didn't stack but extra points of reaction did.
jervinator
Personally, I never entirely got that. I mean, I can see how enhancing one's nervous system (Synaptic Accelerator) is incompatible with replacing it (Wired Reflexes), and why Wired Reflexes and Move by Wire are also mutually exclusive, but they are also incompatible with the spell Increase Reflexes?
Why is there a limit of 4 initiative passes per turn? From a game-balance POV, this kinda makes sense but IMO, it fails the reality test. The only way to really surpass that cap involves such an expenditure of cash, Essence, and magic that anyone who can manage it either a) deserves that 5th pass and/or b) is playing such a high-powered game that it doesn't really matter anyways.
Liper
the real trick is abushing the person with the 5 inititive passes, so they never get the first pass!
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (jervinator)
The only way to really surpass that cap involves such an expenditure of cash, Essence, and magic that anyone who can manage it either a) deserves that 5th pass and/or b) is playing such a high-powered game that it doesn't really matter anyways.

Or you could just do whatever you need to do to get 4 passes, and then anounce you're spending a point of Edge to get an extra pass this turn.

Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
In SR3, extra initiative dice didn't stack but extra points of reaction did.

Except, of course, for Boosted Reflexes and the Synaptic Accelerator. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Or you could just do whatever you need to do to get 4 passes, and then anounce you're spending a point of Edge to get an extra pass this turn.

No, the rule is explicit that you cannot use even Edge to exceed 4 IP.
setankhtep
Oh, Okay I get it. Thanks
jervinator
Officially, 4 IP is more absolute than the laws of physics. I see it as something to shake my head at and ignore.
hobgoblin
the laws of physics have a bad habbit of getting in the way of a good story nyahnyah.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 28 2005, 10:04 PM)

No, the rule is explicit that you cannot use even Edge to exceed 4 IP.

Page reference?
Squinky
Pg. 134 under initittive passes, end of first paragraph.
RunnerPaul
Works for me. (Now I'm just annoyed at the thread that said there was some confusion on the issue. I should have double checked for myself before parroting that thread.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012